...here's an update on romance, contests and writing.
A few upcoming romance writing contests:
- The Four Season's Award-What a terrific line up of judges in this contest, which includes an editor AND agent for each category. Postmark by March 1. First 25 pages of a manuscript and NO Synopsis. (ST, S/L Contemp, HR and FFP).
- The Merrit Magic Moment- This contest has a new twist. The entry will be a 20-page “magic moment” from the novel: the pivotal, break-through moment from the story as defined by the author. If the scene is taken from somewhere other than the beginning of the novel, the entry should also include a 1-2 page “set-up” to explain the context of the scene. Electronic entry, e-receipt by March 1. (ST, S/L Contemp, HR, Para, Erotica)
- The Genesis-The definitive inspirational contest open only to members of ACFW. It's well worth the membership fee for this contest with ten diverse categories and the opportunity to have your entry read by the stellar cast of final judges which include editors and/or agents. March 1 is the received deadline for your 15 pages and one page synopsis.
- Instant Seduction-Oh, those Alpha males. "Presents is inviting unpublished writers to show us how they can grab the attention of our readership with first chapters that really sizzle. The INSTANT SEDUCTION competition offers prizes that are chances of a lifetime for the lucky winner and runners-up:*First prize – win yourself an editor for a year!*Two runners-up will be given editorial critiques of their first chapter entries and also a personal telephone consultation about their writing!" Submit that first chapter by February 14.
Other writing contests:
- WOW! Women on Writing Winter 2008 Flash Fiction Contest-WOW! Women On Writing is proud to partner with W.W. NORTON & COMPANY to bring you our Winter 2008 Flash Fiction Contest. (Indie Publishers rock!) This quarter the contest has an open prompt.WORD COUNT:Maximum: 500Minimum: 250. The title is not to be counted in your word count. We use MS Word's word count to determine the submitted entry's word count. Deadline is February 28th. The guest judge is Kristin Nelson of Nelson Literary Agency. Check out the cool prizes!
- Carnival's Read My Valentine Contest-There's nothing better than a great love story. And, now during Carnival's Read My Valentine Contest, you'll have the opportunity to reconnect with the one you love by sharing your great love story with us and our readers. Simply submit your story anytime between January 14, 2008 and February 3, 2008 to qualify for our "Fun Ship" cruise giveaway. The winner will receive a 4 day Caribbean cruise.
- LHJ Believe in Happy Endings Short Story Contest Believe in your own happy ending when you enter for the chance to have best selling author, Danielle Steel, read your short story! One grand prize winner will have an excerpt of her story and her photo featured in an upcoming issue of Ladies' Home Journal, win $2,500 and receive a beautiful basket of Danielle by Danielle Steel fragrance products! Write a short story entitled "Believe in Happy Endings," a title that creates limitless possibilities for creativity! Enter by January 31, 2008 for your chance to win, and to make your happy endings come true! Even if you don't enter the contest,be sure to check out the new fragrance webpage, it's really cute.
- Change Magazine-"A monthly publication (30,000 copies) focusing on positive and inspiring news. Our back page always contains "Your Personal Change" where readers write in with their own story. These stories basically reflect how something changed their lives, how they are living their dreams, etc. If you would like to submit, our deadline is the 25th of each month. We also run a very short bio and photo of the writer. Payment is made within 30 days after publication."
- Common Ties-The Place For Personal Stories. " The idea is that people write best about what they know best - namely, themselves. This is literary journalism at its most intimate, real stories that illustrate who we are and how we are connected." They pay for submissions. See the web page.
Just for the fun of it:
- Love in Paradise Sweepstakes-All you have to do is enter and Harper Collins might be sending you and your honey to the Virgin Islands. Contest ends January 31st.
Be sure to say hi and post for a chance to win this week's Seekerville giveaway. Tell us how your writing year is going . Have you entered any contests?
Don't forget, April is the first chance to win in my triple contest. See my January 1st post right here on the Seeker Blog.