Just in case you think the critiquing stops after you get a book published! I thought this would be a good lesson to all of you who talk about judges comments pinching. I've cut some reviews off of Amazon just so you know it doesn't end when you get The Call.
My comments are in italics.
First the good ones.
I know none of these reviewers (well, almost none of them…oh, all right, I know them all) and no money has changed hands (I used electronic transfers).
1) Mary has constructed a fantastic story that seems to breach all genres - who would have thought a suspenseful historical with a strong romance thread and a hilarious chick-lit voice would have been this great? This is one book that everyone can - and will! - read and enjoy. She contacted me to interview me on her blog. www.betsy-ann.blogspot.com I love her! She also helped me get the stripper off my MySpace page, but that's another post.
2) It's nice to find a story that you can lose yourself in, and that's what I did with this one. Two thumbs up! Yes, that’s right, Siskel and Ebert abandoned movies for a week reviewed my book. And Siskel is dead so that’s saying something.
3) From sassy cover to sassy heroine, Mary Connealy's Petticoat Ranch will delight and intrigue any reader. Sassy, that’s what I was going for.
4) Help! I'm suffering from separation anxiety! I just finished reading Petticoat Ranch and I miss the McClellan gang something fierce! Good thing I’ve sold a sequel. Calico Canyon, due out in August.
5) Petticoat Ranch is heartwarming, fast-paced and laugh out loud funny with a cast of larger-than-life characters you won't want to miss. I absolutely loved Petticoat Ranch and look forward to more books by Connealy. This was written before I started offering cash for good reviews, so…it’s sincere.
6) Men, never underestimate a woman, I don't care how macho you are. And woman, don't go judging a man by his appearances. These two make both of those mistakes, much to the enjoyment of the reader. A man wrote this one. See, my book is for everyone.
7) I absolutely loved it! From the very beginning it has you laughing, and you can't seem to stop until the last page. This is from my niece, Lauren posted on Amazon, bless her sweet heart.
In the interest of full disclosure there were a few people who were less than thrilled.
8) Clay...was shallow and a waste of time if you ask me...all he ever did was think of himself...i found him dumb and finicky and childish...his rules were ridiculous and Sophie didn't even put up a good defense for her own children... there were some good points however. Well, except for the hero being a waste of time and the heroine betraying her children, there were some good points, okay! Notice she forgot to capitalize the word ‘I’. Who’s going to take this review seriously?
And, my very favorite review of all time;
9) It has been a long time since I have been so angry and disgusted with a book…with each passing comment I became more and more disgusted. She went on for…oh, one thousand words or so in this vein. I tried to be a good sport about this but finally I’d had enough and I called this reviewer up and said, “Mom, if you can’t say something nice about someone, just don’t say anything at all!”