Contests, Writing and The 2008 Challenge
It's already April, so just a reminder that the first quarter of the 2008 challenge ends April 30. For more information see our archived post on the 2008 Writing Challenge. Submit proof of entries to my email address, email@example.com , with the challenge in the subject line. Because wouldn't a luscious box of Godiva be a lovely way to affirm all your hard work?
RWA Sponsored Writing Contests
- 2008 Maggie Awards for Published Romance Novelists. All books must carry a copyright date between January 2007 and December 2007. All entries must be received by May 1, 2008. Categories include: single title, short contemporary, paranormal/fantasy, historical, long contemporary, and inspirational.
- Saskatchewan Romance Writers "We Dare You!'. Unpublished authors. Final Judge: Tara Parsons, HQN Books. First 12 pages. Deadline: Postmark May 15. Postage return costs included in entry. No categories.
- Southern Louisiana Romance Writers Dixie Kane Memorial Contest. Deadline: Postmark May 17, 2008. Unpublished. The first (5) pages double spaced and a synopsis (one page, single-spaced, not judged). Categories: Short Contemporary, Long Contemporary, Romantic Suspense, Single Title Contemporary, Historical, Paranormal, Inspirational, Novel With Romantic Elements. Top prize in each category: Top of the slush pile and a guaranteed reading by literary agent Pamela Gray Ahearn (The Ahearn Agency) and a certificate.
- Toronto Romance Writers Original Golden Opportunity Contest-unpublished authors. Postmark Deadline: May 31, 2008 (No SASE required)Electronic Submissions: May 31, 2008 11:59 pm EST.**NEW THIS YEAR** The first place finisher in each category will be entered in the Gold Ticket competition, judged by Kristin Nelson of Nelson Literary Agency. The Gold Ticket prize package includes a flash drive and a three chapter critique from NYT bestselling author Kelley Armstrong. First Chapter and Synopsis, up to 30 pages. Categories: Contemporary Series Romance, Contemporary Single Title, Romantic Suspense, Paranormal/Fantasy/Futuristic, Historical Romance, Young Adult and Romantic Elements.
- 2008 Maggie Awards for Unpublished Romance Novelists.THREE (3) copies of the synopsis and THREE (3) copies of the prologue (if applicable) and first chapter(s), TOTAL NUMBER OF PAGES MAY NOT EXCEED 35 per copy. Entries must be RECEIVED by June 2, 2008. Categories include: Contemporary Single Title, Short Contemporary, Historical, Long Contemporary, Paranormal and Inspirational. Judges are encouraged to write their comments directly on the manuscripts and WILL NOT use score sheets, and scores WILL NOT be released to the entrants.
Miscellaneous Fiction Writing Contests
- Family Circle 2008 Fiction Writing Contest-One grand-prize winner will receive $750, publication in Family Circle, a certificate for one online mediabistro.com course (valued at up to $610), and a one-year mediabistro.com AvantGuild membership ($49 value). Two runners-up will each receive $250 and a one-year mediabistro.com AvantGuild membership ($49 value), and will have his or her story published on familycircle.com. Deadline August 31, 2008. To enter, send an original fictional short story of no more than 2,500 words. More information at the Family Circle website.
- WOW! SPRING 2008 FLASH FICTION CONTEST-Wow! hosts a (quarterly) writing contest every three months. Word Count: maximum: 500Minimum: 250 The title is not to be counted in your word count. We use MS Word's word count to determine the submitted entry's word count. OPEN PROMPT! Last quarter we enjoyed reading your diverse stories, so we’re doing it again! That’s right, this is your chance to shine, and get creative. You can write about anything, as long as it’s within the word count and fiction. Deadline: March - May 31st, Midnight (Pacific Time). Final Judge: Agent Wendy Sherman. More prizes: First Place: $200.00 cash prize, a WOW! Goodie Bag, your
entry published on WOW! Women On Writing, $50 Gift Certificate to the WOW! Boutique, a 1 year Subscription to the Premium-Green Markets Community, and an interview on the WOW! Women On Writing Blog
- The Robert A. Heinlein Centennial Short Story Contest. Published and unpublished authors are eligible. No entry fee. Electronic entry. Three prizes will be given for the best original short stories reflecting the spirit, ideas, and philosophies of Robert Anson Heinlein. $5,000 first prize-$2,000 second prize-$1,000 third prize. All entries must be received before 12:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time on June 1, 2008.
- Pockets Magazine (Devotional Magazine for Children Published by Upper Room) magazine fiction writing contest. Submissions are accepted between March 1 and August 15 of the contest year. Unpublished stories 1,000 to 1,600 words -- 1,400 word manuscripts are the best length for our purposes. Stories are disqualified if they are shorter or longer by even a few words. Note accurate word count on the cover sheet. There is no entry fee. The winner, notified by November 1, will receive a $1,000 award.
- Southwest Writer's Annual Contest. Sixteen entry categories including romance. Entries must be postmarked by May 1, 2008. Late entries must be postmarked by May 15, 2008 and accompanied by an additional $5. Romance Novel: 1st 20 pages double-spaced + single-spaced synopsis, 2 pages maximum. Entry fees vary but average 30 dollars. Finalist Judge for romance: Leis Pederson, The Berkley Publishing Group. Winners in each category are notified in August, 2008. 1st Prize, $150; 2nd Prize, $100, 3rd Prize, $50. 1st place winners are eligible for the $1,000 Storyteller Award.
- Washington Post 2008 Valentine's Fiction Contest. AND YOU THOUGHT VALENTINE'S DAY WAS OVER!! "Write an original short story inspired by this photograph in 1,500 words or less. We'll publish the winning entry in next year's Valentine's Fiction Issue. The story should deal with love, the promise of romance, a broken heart or anything in between. All submissions should be sent as attached, double-spaced documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and daytime phone number on the first page. Submissions must be recieved by Friday, May 2, 2008. The winner will be notified by September 1. "
Photo by Claudia Kunin/Corbis.
A final note: if you are a contest diva then you must feel lucky. Lucky enough to bid on a chance at your dreams? Visit Brenda Novak's 4th Annual Online Auction to Benefit Diabetes Research.
The auction opens May 1, and goes through May 31. You can bid for things like reads with top agents and editors, professional editing, mentoring packages from bestselling authors, meet and greets with agents, editors and bestselling authors and best of all...you will see books from Seekerville authors in the auction.