The end of summer marks the beginning of a very busy contest season.
Not only do we have contests to share here in Seekerville, but a few extras.
First-- if you are NOT reading this from the RWA Nationals conference then you are eligible to enter a drawing posted yesterday in Seekerville, that ends Sunday Night.
Check it out here for information on how you can win a copy of Write Tight by William Brohaugh or an audio copy of The Hero's Two Journey's by Michael Hague and Christopher Vogler.
Next up a reminder that the second contest in the 2008 Writing Challenge is almost ending.
- The second contest has no beginning, but ends August 31st and requires evidence of a manuscript completed in 2008 (not necessarily begun in 2008). The winner of a random drawing will receive $50 to assist their manuscript entry into the 2008 Golden Heart competition. This contest may be entered once per completed manuscript; however, there will only be one winner.
Now on to contests!
- The Laurel Wreath Award for Excellence. Open to any member in good standing of the Romance Writers of America (membership will be verified).* Books must have a copyright date of 2007, and entries must be received no later than August 31, 2008. Judges are booksellers. Categories: Short Contemporary (50,000 to 70,000 words)- Long Contemporary (over 70,000 words)- Romantic Suspense- Historical / Regency- Romantic Elements- Paranormal / Time Travel / Fantasy/ Futuristic.
- 2nd Annual EVA Query Contest. The website states a contest deadline of September 1st. Limited to the first 100 entrants, this contest fee is only $5.00. Open to all genre's your entry will consist of a one to two page query letter address to final judges: Kevan Anne Lyon and Jill Marsal of the Sandra Dijkstra Agency. The winner will receive a gift certificate worth $50.00.
- 7th Annual Finally a Bride-You're Invited! Entering manuscripts must have finaled, but not won in a previous RWA or RWA chapter-sponsored contest. (Manuscripts which placed in the Top Quarter of the Golden Heart are also eligible). An all electronic entry with a deadline of September 1st. First pages of your manuscript - total entry no longer than 30 pages. The lowest of the three scores from first round judges will be dropped. Only the top two scores will be used to determine the finalists. Final judges are TWO editors.
- Traditional/Inspirational: Melissa Endlich - Steeple Hill and Rebecca Germany - Barbour
- Series Contemporary:Patience Smith - Silhouette and Wanda Ottewell - Harlequin
- Romantic Suspense: Natashya Wilson - Silhouette and Alex Logan – Grand Central
- Historical/ Regency: Megan McKeever -Pocket and Tessa Woodward - Avon
- Paranormal/Time-Travel/Futuristic/Fantasy: Leah Hultenschmidt -Dorchester and
- Margo Lipschultz - HQN
- Mainstream with Romantic Elements: Keyren Gerlach -HQN and Deb Werksman – Casablanca Sourcebooks
- Golden Pen-The contest judged by Golden Heart winners and finalists, geared toward preparing your manuscript for the Golden Heart competetion. This all electronic contest has a deadline of September 1. Entry shall include a synopsis plus manuscript pages, together totaling not more than 55 pages. The synopsis may not be longer than 10 pages. Judges:
- Short Contemporary Romance: Susan Litman, Harlequin
- Historical: Allison Brandau, Berkley
- Single Title: Tara Parsons, HQN
- Paranormal: Chris Keesler, Dorchester
- Romantic Suspense: Adam Wilson, Mira
- Inspirational: Melissa Endlich, Steeple Hill
- Young Adult: Jennifer Heddle, Simon & Schuster
- Mainstream with Romantic Elements: Kerry Donovan , NAL
- Fiction From the Heartland The Fiction From the Heartland Contest adheres to the same rules as the Golden Heart. Categories: Contemporary, Erotic Romance, Historical, Inspirational, Paranormal, Romantic Suspense, and Young Adult. Deadline is September 5, 2008.
- Launching a Star Contest: The overall contest winner has a star named in their honor through the International Star Registry. An engraved, star shaped paperweight is presented to the first place winner of each category. And stars cover the frameable certificate provided to all finalists. Postmarked deadline for the contest is September 8. The seven categories are: Historical, General Paranormal, Fantasy/Futuristic Paranormal, Single Title (Contemporary), Series Contemporary, Young Adult and Erotic Romance. This contest has a stellar (get it?) cast of finalist judges who are all literary agents.
- Gateway to the Best is an all electronic contest with a deadline of September 9th. Categories are: Contemporary Single Title/Mainstream, Contemporary Series, Erotic Romance, Historical, Paranormal (including Futuristic, Fantasy and Time Travel), and Suspense. The Grand Prize Winner will receive US $100, a full reading and critique of her entire manuscript by a major Published Author (see Official Rules for details), a certificate, and a "Gateway to the Best Grand Prize Winner" electronic banner announcing the win for the author’s website. Check out the website for a short interview with the finaling editor judges:
- Contemporary/Single Title/Mainstream: Allison Brandau, Berkley
- Contemporary Series: Laura Barth, Harlequin
- Erotic Romance: Kerry Donovan, NAL
- Historical: Hilary Sares, Kensington
- Paranormal:LaToya Smith, Grand Central Publishing
- Barclay Gold 2008. Partcipation is open to all published authors of romance fiction. Entries must have an original copyright or first printing date of January, 2007 through December, 2007. Deadline is September 15. Categories include: YA, Contemporary, ST, Historical, Inspirational, Romantic Suspense and Paranormal/Time-Travel/Futuristic.
- Southern Heat has a deadline of September 15, 2008 for snail mail and September 10. for electronic entries. Final judges include: Mainstream/Single Title – final judge Miranda Stecyk of MIRA Books Historical – final judge Diana Ventimiglia of Silhouette Long Contemporary – final judge Patience Smith of Silhouette Short Contemporary – final judge Susan Litman of Silhouette Paranormal – final judge Vivian Crosby of The Wild Rose Press Erotica – final judge Trish Owens of The Wild Rose Press Inspirational – final judge Eve Mallary of The Wild Rose Press. Contest requires ten pages and a synopsis.
- The 2009 Golden Heart Contest. While the rules for the 2009 year are not up yet, here is what you can expect. A complete manuscript and synopsis are required for the GH. The contest judges approximately 1200 manuscripts in ten categories. 2008 rules are available here. Last year registration was due by Nov 15, 2007 and the entry due date was Dec 3, 2007 . Note: by November 15, often the slots are filled, so plan to register as soon as the contest opens. Entry is open to RWA members and non members. Finalists are notified at the end of March.
And here are this year's finalists who will be biting their nails at the ceremony held tomorrow night in San Francisco.
NON RWA CONTESTS:
- Story Contest, Past Loves Day, 2008. Write true story of a former sweetheart, in no more than 700 words. No entry fee. Awards: $100, $75, and $50. Deadline: August 17.
- Over 50, Still Kickin's very first writing contest! The Baby Boomer humor writing contest. Awards: $125, $75, $50. Entry fee: $5. Deadline: August 31, 2008. An unpublished fiction or nonfiction, short short story or essay of 500 to 1,000 words.
- 3-DAY NOVEL CONTEST! Can you produce a masterwork of fiction in three short days? Now is your chance to find out. This year's 3-Day Novel Contest will run Labour Day Weekend, August 30 - September 1, 2008. Registration must be postmarked by August 29th. All writers are welcome to enter, anywhere in the world. Grand Prize: Publication- 2nd Prize: $500-3rd Prize: $100And a literary prize pack for each shortlisted entrant.
- 7th Annual FundsforWriters Essay Contest--Theme for 2008: The Best Advice I Ever Had. FundsforWriters changes its theme each year. You have two topics to choose from in 2008, but they have one thing in common. Your assignment, if you choose to accept it, is to write about the best advice you ever heard. Check out the site for more info, and the cash prizes. 750 word max and a deadline of October 31.
And as usual....
Just for Fun
- Enter for a chance to win a Novel Beach Escape for two at South Seas Island Resort" Enter the Harper Collins Contest just by filling out a form at the site.
- Avon, Book in A Bag Giveaway! A year of gorgeous handbags stuffed with stylish fiction.
- Check out the BookClub Queen, where 5 Lucky Winners will be chosen to receive 14 Hachette Group Books. Deadline August 5, 2008.