December 31st is fast approaching and it marks the end of the 2008 Contest Challenge
Congrats to Melanie who won the first challenge and Godiva chocolate; congrats to Margay who won the second challenge and $50 dollars cash.
Who will win the third challenge, to be drawn by the published Seekers? All unpubbed Seekers (except myself) and our guests and visitors who are unpublished are eligible.
Simply submit a complete (not a partial) manuscript to an editor or agent in 2008, send me proof, and you will be entered in a random drawing for one of two prizes: a box of Godiva chocolate or $50 to off-set your writing expenses for the year. One entry per unique manuscript submitted to an editor or agent. There will be two winners.
Proof is a forwarded email, an email with the attachment cover letter, or any other evidence you can email me like a scanned document or scanned copy of your postal receipt from mailing.
Now on to Contest Updates!
Remember to check the October Contest Update for more November contests.
- Enchanted Words. The Perfect Pitch 2008, all electronic entries. Deadline has been extended to November 8th. Enchant us with your submission packet, and send us your query letter, synopsis (up to 7 pages), and the first five pages of your unpublished romance novel. Published authors may enter, provided they have not had a book published by a non-vanity/non-subsidy publisher in the past three years. Categories, historical, contemporary and paranormal. Finalists will be notified in February, 2009. Winners will be announced in April, 2009. Judges are now up on the website:
Contemporary (includes category length books) - judged by Katie Gilligan, St. Martin's Press
Historical - judged by Deb Werksman, Sourcebooks
Paranormal/Fantasy/Sci-fi/Time Travel - judged by Margo Lipschultz, Harlequin HQN/Luna
- NTRWA’s Great Expectations 2009 Contest. This is a query letter/ first 25 pages contest. Note this contest has an entry date and a mail in date. Please complete the on-line entry form and submit electronically by December 27, 2008. Emailed entries should be received by the category coordinator by midnight CST on Saturday, January 3, 2009. Mailed entries should be mailed in time to be received by Saturday, January 3, 2009. All finalists will have the opportunity to update their entry for the final round of judging. Cash prices for first, second and third places: $50, $30 & $15. Open to both RWA® members and non RWA® members. Check out the category score sheets: Category: Contemporary Series -Category:Erotic Romance -Category:Historical -Category: Inspirational -Category: Mainstream with Romantic Elements -Category:Romantic Suspense -Category: Single Title -Category: Specialized (Futuristic/Fantasy/TimeTravel/Paranormal)-Category: Young Adult
NON RWA Contests:
- Suspense Magazine First Annual Writing Contest. All entries must be in the suspense/mystery/thriller genre. Writers retain all rights. Awards: Winner will receive 12 Bestselling Books (many or all of them autographed by the authors). Second and Third places will receive Amazon.com gift cards. No entry fee. Deadline: December 31, 2008. This is an electronic contest. All stories must be at least 1500 words and no more than 5000 words.
- Delacorte Yearling Contest for a First Middle Grade Novel.The prize of a book contract (on the Publisher’s standard form) for a hardcover and a paperback edition, including an advance and royalties, will be awarded annually to encourage the writing of contemporary or historical fiction set in North America, for readers age 9–12. The award consists of $1,500 in cash and a $7,500 advance against royalties. Manuscripts must be postmarked after April 1, 2008, but no later than June 30, 2008.
- Delacorte Press Contest for a First Young Adult Novel.The prize of a book contract (on the publisher’s standard form) covering world rights for a hardcover and a paperback edition, including an advance and royalties, will be awarded annually to encourage the writing of contemporary young adult fiction. The award consists of $1,500 in cash and a $7,500 advance against royalties. Manuscripts must be postmarked after October 1, 2008, but no later than December 31, 2008.
- Bantam Spectra Unpublished author contest Presenting a new short fiction contest for unpublished writers of science fiction, fantasy, and horror.For its third edition of Spectra Pulse, Bantam Spectra is allowing unpublished writers to get their work featured alongside some of the most well-respected names in science fiction and fantasy. One lucky winner will receive $100 and have his/her story published in the Summer 2009 issue of Spectra Pulse, Bantam Spectra’s exclusive magazine distributed at Comic-Con San Diego and select conventions and bookstores (available July 2009). Deadline 1-31-09.
Just For Fun:
- The World of Stephanie Laurens Sweepstakes from Avon. Enter for the chance to win the complete Avon Library of Stephanie Laurens.
And if you aren't ready quite ready to submit your romance manuscript in contests, here are a few not ready for prime time contests to prepare your entry into the contest world!
- Napa Valley Holiday Contest! Make your holiday even more memorable with a 3-day, 2-night trip for two to Napa Valley, lodging in the beautiful guest house of Markham Vineyards and having dinner at Rutherford Hill Winery prepared by Chef Colin Crowley. When you think of Napa Valley, what comes to mind? Is it meals you’ve shared, wine you’ve tasted, the beautiful scenery of the vineyards? Tell us, in 200 words or less, what Napa means to you and describe your ideal wine country getaway. Ends December 31.
- Smucker's and Jif "Feed Your Need To Read" Contest begins on 08/24/08 and ends on 11/30/08. Create an original essay describing why you want to feed your family's need to read. Essay must be in English and must be 200 words or less. Six Grand Prizes: a selection of Scholastic® books up to $3,000.00 in retail value, as selected by winner, subject to availability. Sponsor will also donate a selection of Scholastic® books with a retail value of $3,000.00 to your local school.