Another day dawns in Seeker unpublished paradise. That's my hammock, where I spend hours contemplating this writing world.
A few of our Seekerville guests have shown an interest in finding out more about Unpubbed Island. Today I'll be your hostess as we tour the grounds and reveal insider secrets of the rest of the unpubs.
We've got the usual deserted island basics here, huts, fitness room, spa and full kitchen/bar.
At one time, long long ago, we shared huts. That would be two to a hut. Debby Giusti was only here for one day before she sold. She's sort of the island legend. We speak of her in hushed tones at night when we gather around the fire.
Now we each have our own hut. You'd think that would have really been a good thing considering the snoring issue, but no--someone snores loud enough to reach my ears through the bamboo hut walls.
Let's take a little tour through the Seeker huts. No, I'm sure the gals won't mind. They're on a little hike on the other side of the island. I sort of hinted that there was a Captain Jack sighting (he he he).
- Audra: Open the door carefully. Yes, that is a Winchester rifle on the bed. She keeps a tidy place. Boots under the bed and a copy of the Cowboy Prayerbook under her pillow along with a jar of peanut butter and every single Toby Keith CD known to man. She's been singing "Should've Been a Cowboy" in the shower--every day for the last three years.
- Pam: Bean counter warning. Do not disturb the spread sheets. She is the only fiction writer I know who writes her manuscripts in Excel. Amazing woman. That light reading on her bedside table? Excel 2007 Bible. She keeps it right under her NIV. Are you aware that Pam has a list of every title a Seeker has ever brainstormed --that would be 400 titles. Very scary isn't it?
- Sandra: I have no idea why Ruth got the name tyrant. Sandra is actually the tyrant around here. See those boxes in the corner of her hut? Those are her tools of terror: hiking shoes, sneakers, tennies, cross-trainers--you name it. She makes us hike around the island--before dawn even. And good news! She's ordered mountain bikes for the six of us that are left. They'll match hers. Doesn't that sound just so ...healthy? Except..well, apparently now her mountain bike is missing. I have no idea where it is. But I can tell you this much..when you get to the coconut grove --look up.
- Ruth: Of course the first thing you'll notice is the poster of Derek Jeter on her ceiling. And the autographed framed picture of Derek Jeter at her bedside. Oh, and that crate of Harlequin Super Romances? They just arrived from the mainland. She hasn't actually explained why she is reading 134 books in the series. Here's a little known Ruthy secret: last month she swam to the mainland for .....MALLOW CUPS!! Yes, all the way to the mainland and back with a waterproof knapsack filled with her treats.
- Cara: Now isn't this a nice little hut? Not a single UO on that military issue cot and blanket. (that's military slang for unidentified object) Cara is the sweetest little gal--and she has a Bowie knife in her Victoria Secret underwear. Not kidding. It's the quiet ones you have to look out for. You knew she was former Navy? A little know fact: she was one of the naval experts on the set of Top Gun. If you look very closely you can see her in the background in this scene with Tom Cruise.
- My hut: Careful, don't trip over my stacks. I warned you several blogs ago that I like everything where I can see it. Oh, and let me share my dirty little secret with you. See that mini fridge? Yes, that one. Open one of those Lean Cuisine's I have packed in there.
I replaced all the meals with chocolate. LOL!! No one has figured it out yet.
Let's go down to the lagoon.
Perfect isn't it? Look at the sunset. Listen to the waves.
So now that you've had a little glimpse into our unpubbed world I want to share a few random truths I've learned here on Unpubbed Island before you leave.
2.This is really is paradise. Savor the surf at sunset, the shells you find in the sand, and the breeze against your skin at morning light. Enjoy the journey.
3. Graduation from the island is not complete without a few Captain Jack Sparrow quotes sprinkled liberally in your conversation. If you can't quote Sparrow you will never leave.
"Welcome to the Caribbean, luv."
"I'm Captain Jack Sparrow. ..savvy?"
"I think we’ve all arrived at a very special place. Spiritually, ecumenically, grammatically. "
"I want you to know that I was rooting for you. Know that. "
"I leave you people alone for just a minute and look what happens. Everything’s gone to pot! "
"I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by. "
4. Once you get into that launch and leave for the mainland you can never, ever come back. (Okay we'll let you come to our First Sale parties, but then you really must leave.)
5. We all have our desperate moments..when it seems as though a contract will never be within our grasp. Hang in there. You aren't alone.
6. And finally, I leave you with some quotes to wrap around yourself at night as you lay in your hammock on the beach and wonder about this crazy business called writing.
- The only reason for being a professional writer is that you just can't help it.
- - Leo Rosten
- Originality does not consist in saying what no one has ever said before, but in saying exactly what you think yourself.
- - James F. Stephan
- A story isn't about a moment in time, a story is about the moment in time.
- - W. D. Wetherell
- We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospection.
- - Anais Nin
- No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader.
- - George Moore
- You may be able to take a break from writing, but you won't be able to take a break from being a writer...
- - Stephen Leigh
- A writer never has a vacation. For a writer life consists of either writing or thinking about writing.
- - Eugene Ionesco