Another month. Another slew of contests.
And back by popular demand we have two more copies of The Writer's Portable Therapist, by Rachel Ballon to give away.
All you have to do to qualify is tell Seekerville that you entered a contest this year and what category you entered. You do not need to name the contest or the manuscript unless you want to. Just post it in the comments.
If you haven't entered a contest yet, then you have a week to step out. That's right, you have until Friday night, May 8th at 11:59 pm EST to enter one. The winners will be announced in the Weekend Editon, on May 9th.
Let's start the day with some of Ms. Ballon's favorite quotes, as mentioned in the book.
"Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more you sweat, the luckier you get." Ray A. Kroc"Visualize this thing that you want. See it, feel it, believe in it. Make your mental blueprint and begin." Robert Collier
"There is no place where success comes before work, except in the dictionary." Donald Kimball
"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first overcome." Samuel Johnson
- Ignite the Flame. Print entries postmarked, May 9th. Online entries submission deadline , May 9th. Your entry should be the scene of your hero and heroine's first meeting or reunion (up to 15 pages). You may also submit an optional, non-judged one-page set-up providing necessary background for the first-meeting, as a page within your attached submission. Submit three copies of your hero and heroine's first meeting (up to 15 pages). You may also submit three copies of an optional, non-judged one-page set-up providing necessary background for the first-meeting scene. Category-Length Contemporary: Wanda Ottewell, Harlequin SuperromanceHistorical Romance: Leis Pederson, Assistant Editor Berkley Publishing GroupErotic Romance: Raelene Gorlinsky, Publisher, Ellora's Cave PublicationsParanormal Romance: Cori Deyoe, Literary Agent, Three Seas Literary AgencySingle Title Contemporary: Roberta Brown, Literary Agent, Brown Literary Agency.
- The Rebecca. For the first time, the Rebecca is an all-electronic contest. The contest is open to both published and unpublished authors! Top three entries in each category will be judged by an editor! Deadline is May 30th, 2009. Entries will be 5,000 words or less, and fit into one of the following categories: Series Contemporary (Patience Smith, Harlequin), ST Contemporary (Laura Cifelli, NAL), Historical (Becky Vinter, NAL), Paranormal (Leah Hultenschmidt, Dorchester), Erotica (Robin Lawson, Red Sage). Note: Young Adult (YA) entries should be entered into most appropriate category.Only first 30 entries into each category will be accepted, so don't delay!
- Cleveland Rocks Romance. All electronic. Deadline June 1. All entrants receive first-round judges’ scores and comments. Finalists receive a 1-page critique from the judging editor/agent. Submit the first 6000 to maximum 7000 words, to a clear story break (such as a chapter break). A synopsis is optional; if you choose to include one, it may be no longer than 750 words, is not counted as part of the entry, optional; if you choose to include one, it may be no longer than 750 words, is not counted as part of the entry, and is unjudged. Additional category:First Declaration of Love Category. Scene where the main protagonists first declare their love to each other. Maximum 500 words. Categories and judges: Contemporary Series/Category Romance--Brenda Chin, Harlequin, Single Title Romance--Susan Yates, The Wild Rose Press, Erotic Romance--Kelli Kwiatkowski, Ellora’s Cave, First Declaration of Love--Raelene Gorlinsky, Ellora’s Cave/Cerridwen Press, Historical Romance--Rose Hilliard, St. Martin’s Press, Mainstream with Romantic Elements --Diane Parkinson, The Wild Rose Press, Paranormal Romance--Ethan Ellenberg, Ellenberg Literary Agency, Romantic Suspense--Christine Witthohn, Book Cents Literary Agency, Young Adult Danielle Poisz, Pocket Books.
- The 26th Annual Colorado Gold Writing Contest. Contest opens April 1 and the deadline is June 1. Submission is the first twenty pages and a synopsis. Categories include: romance, mystery, speculative fiction, action/thriller and mainstream fiction. Five category winners receive a $100 dollar prize. Final judge is an acquiring agent or editor. Check out the website for a contest instruction video!
- The Emeral City Opener. E-deadline June 1, 2009. This is a great contest for first timers! Your opener is the hook that attracts an editor or makes a potential reader decide to purchase your book. Polish the first seven pages of your manuscript and send them to the Emerald City Opener Contest. You will receive feedback in the form of detailed score sheets. Your judges (published writers or Golden Heart finalists and winners) are encouraged to include comments on your entry. Categories: Historical Romance-- Single Title Contemporary Romance--Series Romance--Romantic Suspense--Paranormal Romance-- Novel with Strong Romantic Elements. First, second, and third place winners in each category will receive an award certificate and an individual editor or agent appointment at the Emerald City Writers' Conference (Oct. 9-11, 2009). In addition, the first place winner in each category will receive a $25 gift card.
- Maggie Awards for Unpublished Romance Novelists: Entries must be RECEIVED at the appropriate address above by June 1, 2009, and before your entry category is full. THREE (3) copies of the synopsis and THREE (3) copies of the prologue (if applicable) and first chapter(s), TOTAL NUMBER OF PAGES MAY NOT EXCEED 35 per copy. Two published authors will judge each entry. Editors in the romance genre will judge the final round. Judges will give each entry a score from 1 to 10 (10 being the highest). Judges will also rank entries for tie-breaking as needed for advancement to the finals. Judges are encouraged to write their comments directly on the manuscripts and WILL NOT use score sheets, and scores WILL NOT be released to the entrants. (TIP: Don't enter if you expect scoresheets. This is a top tier contest.)Final Judges:Historical - Chelsea Gilmore, Avalon Books--Single Title - Monique Patterson, St. Martins--Paranormal/Fantasy - Chris Keeslar, Dorchester Publishing--Inspirational - Emily Rodmell, Harlequin--Contemporary Series-Susan Litman, Silhouette.
- Original Golden Opportunity. DEADLINE: Electronic entries must be received by June 1,2009, 11:59 p.m. EST. Print entries must be postmarked no later than June 1, 2009. Now accepting electronic entries! This year's categories and final round judges are…Contemporary Single Title—Margo Lipschultz, HQN--Contemporary Series—Wanda Ottewell, Harlequin--Paranormal/Fantasy/Futuristic—Leah Hultenschmidt, Dorchester--Young Adult—Anne Heltzel, Penguin, Razorbill--Historical—Leis Pederson, Berkley--Romantic Suspense—Megan McKeever, Pocket--Mainstream with Strong Romantic Elements—Kathleen Gilligan, St. Martin 's. The top entry in each category will be automatically entered in the Gold Ticket Round to be judged by Kristin Nelson of the Nelson Literary Agency. The winner of the Gold Ticket round will receive a three-chapter critique by NYT bestselling author Kelley Armstrong . Category finalists will have one week after notification to revise their entries before they are forwarded to the final round judges.
- Reveal Your Inner Vixen: Only accepting only electronic entries. Entries must be time stamped no later than midnight, June 1, 2009. ACCEPTING ENTRIES FROM PUBLISHED AND UNPUBLISHED AUTHORS.Up to 20 pages of a scene that showcases your use of sensual tension plus an unjudged 1-page set-up.Each entry will be judged by THREE qualified judges, i.e., trained and/or published authors. A strength of this contest is the helpful comments our judges provide the contestants. The top three scoring entries in each category will advance to the final round for evaluation by TWO EDITORS in that genre. Series Contemporary: Gail Chasan, Harlequin/Silhouette; Rhonda Penders, The Wild Rose Press--Single Title:: Allison Brandau, Penguin/Berkley; Bethany Morgan, Samhain Publishing, Inc;--Historical: Historical: Meghan Conrad, Ellora’s Cave Publishing Inc; and Deb Werksman, Sourcebooks, Inc--
Alternative: TT/F/F/P: Chris Keeslar, Dorchester; Amanda Barnett, The Wild Rose Press--Erotic Romance: Raelene Gorlinsky, Ellora’s Cave Publishing, Inc; Angela James, Samhaim Publishing, Inc--Young Adult: Krista Marino, Delacorte; Lindsey McGurk, Samahain Publishing, Inc.
- Lone Star Writing Competition. Postmark deadline: June 5, 2009, arrive by June 12, 2009. Electronic entries must arrive by midnight June 5, 2009. Any entries received after the deadline will be returned unopened or deleted unopened. (TIP:The Lone Star got off to a late start this year-so with only less than 6 weeks to go until the deadline, this would be a very good competition to enter. ) Enter: First 25 pages, including prologue, if desired. Two final judges, an editor and agent make this contest a steal at only $25.Final judges: Inspirational Category : Editor - Jessica Barnes , WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group,Agent - Tamela Hancock Murray , Hartline Literary,Young Adult Category : Editor – Kat O'She, The Wild Rose Press Agent - TBA, Romantic Suspense Category : Editor – Lindsay Nouis, New American Library Agent – Lois Winston, Ashley Grayson Literary Agency, Contemporary Series Category : Editor – Wanda Ottewell, Harlequin Agent – Sha-Shana Crichton, Crichton Literary Agency
Single Title Category : Editor - Leis Pederson with Penguin/BerkeleyAgent – Paige Wheeler, Folio Literary Management,Historical Category : Editor: Alicia Condon, Dorchester Agent: Michelle Grajkowski, 3 Seas Literary Agency
Fantasy, Futuristic and Paranormal Category : Editor - Deb Werksman, Sourcebooks Agent - Tina Wexler, International Creative Management
- Aspen Gold. Deadline May 15, 2009. Participation is open to all published authors of novel length romance fiction. The official entry form and entry fee must accompany each submission. Entries must have an original copyright or first printing date of January, 2008 through December, 2008. Categories: Young Adult, Contemporary,Single Title, Historical, Paranormal/Time-Travel/Futuristic, Romantic Suspense, Erotica.
- Golden Leaf. Entrants must register for the contest by June 10, 2009 via email or regular mail. Entry forms and books must be postmarked by July 10, 2009 and received by July 15, 2009. ** Authors with a July 2009 release date MUST contact the contest chairperson if an extension is required. Romance novels with a first copyright date or first North American printing date of August 2008 through July 2009 are eligible for entry. Categories: Best First Book, Historical, Long Contemporary, Novella, Paranormal, Traditional Regency, Short Contemporary,Single Title.
- Redbook and Adams Media Silver Lining Contest. In a 1,000 to 2,000-word personal essay, tell us how you've found the silver lining—what or who gave you inspiration, strength, hope, and comfort—during a personal challenge. If your story is selected as the grand-prize winner, it will inspire millions of others—and you'll win $1,000! Your story will also be excerpted in a future issue of REDBOOK and published in full on CupofComfort.com. Prizes will also be given to the authors of the three runner-up stories; these will be announced in REDBOOK and on CupOfComfort.com. You must enter by May 15, 2009, and submissions will be accepted only through the online submission form. To submit a story, you must be a CupOfComfort.com member and logged into the site. Please note that the Silver Lining submissions are for the contest only and not for publication consideration in a Cup of Comfort book.
- The Writer Short Story Contest. $10 ENTRY FEE. $1,000, first place; $300, second place; $200, third place. The first-place entry, along with the finalist judge’s comments, will be published in The Writer magazine. All three winning entries will be posted on The Writer Web site, http://www.writermag.com/. Deadline May 31, 2009. Limit 2,000 words.
Okay, now go forth and contest!