Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Laptop Ergonomics

By Debby Giusti

When a virus zapped my old laptop, I planned to replace it with a desktop computer. Instead, I went shopping and came home with another laptop.

Seems everyone is working on-the-go these days, and the portability of laptops makes them the perfect choice for many people who work outside the office place. I didn’t want to be chained to my desk on pretty days when working from the deck would be much more pleasant nor did I want to give up the option of traveling with my computer. Yet, knowing the long hours I spend on the keyboard, I was concerned about the strain to my body. After all, laptops aren’t always user-friendly.

Needing professional help, when my daughter--who’s also my favorite physical therapist--came to visit for Easter, I asked her to share a few ergonomic tips for writers who use laptops.

Here’s the advice Liz gave me:

(Notice the old reading glasses, which are good to see the ENTIRE computer screen, and my messy office. I should have tidied up before I invited Seekerville to visit.)

A level surface is always the best to work on and is the most ergonomically correct. Keep your elbows at a ninety degree angle and your hands in a neutral position on the keyboard—don’t have your wrists cocked up or bent under.

Place your feet flat on the floor and ensure your knees are at a ninety degree angle. Hips should be at the same level or slightly higher than your knees. Never sit in a “hole” with your hips lower than you knees--a problem when reclining on a couch or a heavily cushioned chair.

The main drawback to using a laptop is the position of the monitor. Ideally, the monitor should be at eye level. If adjustments aren’t made, writers end up hunched over their laptops—a bad position for the spine—which can lead to back and neck pain.

Liz suggested I prop up my laptop to raise the monitor to the right height. We grabbed some file folders as a temporary fix. I attached a keyboard and placed it on my desk at the correct level for my wrists and elbows.

All of us need to take frequent breaks from the computer so stand and stretch at regular intervals. Walk around your desk or, as I do, head for the refrigerator to get something to eat or drink.

Liz showed me a simple stretch that helps. With my hands placed on my hips, she told me to lean back.

“Don’t overdo,” Liz cautioned. “Lean back to a comfortable pain-free position and then return to an upright standing position.” Repeat five to ten times.

Another problem for writers is carpel tunnel syndrome. Take breaks from the keyboard and do the following hand stretch Liz suggested: Gently pull back on your fingers until you feel a slight stretch on your wrist. Hold for twenty seconds. Repeat three times on each hand.

My right hand, which operates my mouse, often becomes fatigued when I’m doing a repetitive motion, such as scrolling through an entire manuscript or doing rewrites. Liz said the gentle hand stretch would help and suggested I keep my “mouse” arm close to my body and well supported.

When reading, don’t bend your neck over the book. Instead, bring the reading material up to you. The bent forward position puts more pressure on the neck and can cause pain and stiffness.

(Here I am--above--reading my military suspense, MIA: MISSING IN ATLANTA. Can you tell when I hit the scary part? Notice how I brought the book up to eye level.)

Liz is a mommy with two little ones and another baby on the way so she’ll stop in today when her busy schedule permits and answer any questions you might have.

If you’ve got an ergonomic tip you use when working at your computer, please share it with us. Include your email to be entered into a drawing for a copy of KILLER HEADLINE, my latest suspense from Steeple Hill.

Wishing you abundant blessings,
Debby Giusti


Carla Gade said...

While I don't have a laptop, these tips are great! I use a wristpad to keep my wrist from straining.

I also look away from the computer every so often to rest my eyes. I change the page color of my manuscript and critiques to a beige to soften the glare while working on them.

Helen Gray said...


I KNOW these techniques (taught keyboarding for several years), but PRACTICING them is another matter. There's always the tendency to stay in one position too long, begin slumping when I get tired, staring at the screen too long, etc. Walking away every so often is still the best remedy I know.

I don't have a laptop. I had about decided to buy one this past Christmas, but I decided I wanted to attend national conference more. So I'm still working at my desk.


P.S. Coffee's on.

Cheryl Wyatt said...

Excellent post with helpful information and photos to help us "see" what you mean.

Debbie, your office is NOT messy. LOL!

Tell your DD thank you for us and we expect to get to help cyber spoil that baby when the little cutie makes his or her grand entrance.

Helen, THANK YOU for tending the pot. I so need the jolt to keep me awake and answering e-mails. I have flavored creamer for anyone wanting to whip theirs into a latte.

Cheryl Wyatt said...

Augh! Debby, forgive me! I do this every time...put an ie at the end of your name. It's because one of my best friends is a Deb too and spells her name that way.

And Helen, I guess you know I meant coffee pot. Maybe I need to go to bed after all. LOL!

KC Frantzen said...

Wonderful tips.

I have an ergonomic chair, wrist wrest (oh. that should have been for yesterday).

The most wonderful thing is a pair of Thergonomic Hand-Aids purchased at Hobby Lobby. You can order directly from the mfr if you order several pair 803-736-7494.

OH! And a Wii Fit Plus!

The Wii Fit Plus is new. Boy is it a wonderful thing when the 'yawns' hit.

Your daughter is LOVELY Debby. Also you have a beautiful sunny workspace.

Thanks for sharing these tips!! Good ones!

ksf895 at citlink dot net

(Time for a short nap now before the day begins. Had a website thought and finally decided to just GET UP and write the web guy.)

I'll be back! Y'all have a splendid day!

Debby Giusti said...

Hi Carla,
I wear contacts for distance and reading glasses for close work so my eyes often tire when I'm working for long hours. Thanks for the tip about cutting down on computer glare. Glancing away from the monitor isn't a problem--seems I'm always staring into space! :)

I tried an ergonomic mouse pad, which supports the wrist, but didn't care for how it worked. I've turned it around and just use the flat surface like a regular mouse pad now.

Dianna Shuford said...

Great post, Debbie, and not something everyone thinks of until medical problems occur. Tell Liz- thanks for the advice. Very helpful.

Off to work now. You guys have fun playing on Seekerville.

BTW-already have Killer Headline so don't enter me in the drawing.

Debby Giusti said...

Thanks for starting the coffee. Smells yummy and tastes even better.

The breakfast bar is set up...scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits, fresh fruit and, of course, grits.

One of my computer vices is crossing my legs. I try to keep my feet flat on the floor, but after a bit of time at the keyboard, they just naturally start to cross! :)

Debby Giusti said...

Carla, Helen and Cheryl,
You girls are up late!!! Thanks for ending your day at Seekerville!

Debby Giusti said...

After your morning nap, tell us more about the Thergonomic Hand-aids. Do you wear them when you're keyboarding? Or later?

Also, I'd love to know more about your ergonomic chair. As I recall Randy Ingermanson posted information about a chair he considered the best for long hours spent at the computer. Does anyone have the information he provided? I believe the chair ran about $400. Very pricey!

Debby Giusti said...

Hi Dianna,
Have a great day at work!

BTW, Dianna and I are going to the ACFW WORD Chapter meeting next Tuesday in Buford, GA. I'll be presenting a program on "Building Suspense in Any Genre" and hope to see some Seeker friends there.

jessi said...

Where do I get my surprise book package? I want it now! Ok, sorry, got a little excited there. Seriously, Tina, email me at bbacon35atyahoodotcom. (I never win anything, can you tell!!!)

Timely post. I was sick over the weekend and had to finish an interview and book review but could barely look at monitor without gagging. The glare was making me dizzy and lightheaded.

Anyone have suggestions on screen settings? I'll try the beige for documents, but as far as basic settings while using the internet?


Liz Wrobley said...

Hi Everyone! I'm really enjoying the delicious coffee and breakfast bar this AM. Helen--I totally agree with you--It is one thing to know the proper techniques but it is another to be consistent in following them. Most of the time our bodies will let us know when it is past time to change postions with a twinge or a pain. We just need to try to do the best we can.
KC--I am going to look for the Thergonomic Hand Aids the next time I'm in Hobby Lobby. Sounds like a good idea.

Janet Dean said...

Great information, Debby! Thanks to both you and Liz! I will do the exercises for the wrist and back. Love the colors in your house. You and I love blue!

I use a desktop at home but when I'm away, I write on a laptop with a keyboard and mouse attached. Since I can't handle the laptop keyboard, I'm chained to one spot. I wrote BLINK on a Post-It Note and stuck it at the top of my monitor but rarely notice it.

Carla, thanks for the tip that a soft background color is easier on the eyes than white. I'm going to try that.


Rose said...


What a good blog topic. Since I use my computer all day at my day job, I put extra strain on my wrists and back. I do take frequent breaks while I'm writing, like you to the kitchen for something to drink. Someone suggested to me that I should have a coffee pot, etc in my office but that's not for me because I want to get up and move around.

I will be implementing those wrists stretchs into my writing routine.


RRossZediker at yahoo dot com

Debby Giusti said...

Hi Jessi,
So glad you won!!! Hopefully, Tina will stop in later and let you know more of the details! :)

Sorry you were sick. Hope you're better now.

Chicki said...

Wonderful advice, Deb. Love that last pic, by the way ...

Melanie Dickerson said...

Debby, you are just the sweetest, most thoughtful person! Thanks for this post. This gives me some things to think about. I only have a desktop but am planning to get a laptop or netbook. Thanks so much for the tips and for the stretches!

Debby Giusti said...

Blue's my favorite color!!! Can't you tell?

Your BLINK post-it note is a great idea, Janet.

I should tape a note to my computer that says DON'T CROSS LEGS! Also, take breaks (which means I'm heading to the fridge) but don't eat too much! :)

Kav said...

It must be wonderful to have a physical therapist in the family!!! And thank you for sharing her tips.

I did the wrist stretches right away and am amazed at how much looser my hands feel. (if that makes sense.) And I've raised my keyboard at work -- it was way too low and what a difference that makes!!!!! Now I have to find something to raise the height of my monitor to eye level.

I don't have any clever suggestions -- except to alternate computer time with gardening. :-) All that stretching and turning has worked the kinks out of my shoulders and neck in a way snow shoveling never could!

Patty said...

Wonderful post, Debby! And your lovely daughter is fantastic for offering advice to make our writing time more pleasant.

Does your daughter have any more back stretches that would help with soreness in the butt area? I have a bad back and get epidurals on a regular basis but have problems sitting for any period of time.

I'm munching on chocolate cake this morning. Anyone like a piece?

Debby Giusti said...

I've thought about keeping snacks in my office, but like you, I know having to walk upstairs to the kitchen is a better idea.

I also try to take a long walk each afternoon. After sitting at my computer for most of the day, I need fresh air and exercise!

Debby Giusti said...

Hi Chicki,
I added the pic for comic relief! :)

Should have talked about stiff necks from being bent over our manuscript pages. The hard copy of our work in progress needs to be raised to eye level as well.

KC Frantzen said...


Hi again! :)

(I'm SO not a morning person.)

On the Thergonomic Hand-aids: After a tremendous amount of keyboarding for an accounting position years ago, I developed the start of carpal tunnel. Someone told me about some stretches.

I do the hand stretch your daughter suggested but I also bend and hold the other direction.

All together now: I take the palm of my left hand, place it over the back of my right and push down so that the fingers of my right hand bend towards my right forearm. Move the left hand over the knuckles (the ones where your fingers attach to your hand - gosh - what do you call those - "first" knuckles?) and push again. As you do the pushes, hold for a count of 3 or more. You should feel a different stretch in your wrist when you move over the knuckles.

Then repeat with opposite hands. I can really feel the stretch when I do it correctly. By the way, I don't concern myself with the thumbs.

I wear the hand-aids almost all the time when at the computer. They look sort of like a flesh colored glove with the fingers cut out. However, the material is much tighter around the wrists. When I wear them, I can type much longer and my hands don't go numb.

The chair appears to made by Globe. I bought it at Staples. Just flipped it over but there's no marking. I think it's this one, or similar: Item: 608227 at Looks like it's $229 right now.

I have a tilted foot rest too.

I HAD a laptop several years ago but it fried when we had a power surge. Sigh.

Debby - would enjoy your presentation I'm sure!! Wish I could be there!!!

Debby Giusti said...

Hi Melanie,

I'm beginning to think I should have bought a desktop. Do you have problems working on your computer?

A notebook means a smaller keyboard and monitor. Anna Adams, my crit partner, loves hers and totes it around everywhere. Her notebook is so light and easy to carry -- a real advantage.

The newer Nets are small and compact, yet I bet they're harder on the wrists and neck. I know Missy has one and loves it for conferences.

Missy, tell us about your Net if you stop by today.

Debby Giusti said...

It is great to have a PT in the family! Whenever Liz visits, hubby and I pump her for new exercises!

Glad you like the hand stretch. Easy, isn't it?

A few adjustments can make a big difference. Good for you, finding a good height for your keyboard. Long ago, I used a Sears catalogue to raise the monitor on the desktop computer I was using at the time.

Cara Lynn James said...

Great suggestions, Debby. I love my laptop, but my back often gets tired. You should see the way I sit--all crunched up with my legs crossed Indian style. No wonder I feel stiff and 100 yrs. old at the end of the day.

Kav said...

Honestly, this is the best blog site around. You've been so helpful in so many ways and today I'm plumb giddy! LOL

I've propped my monitor up on multiple copies of 'The Willoughbys' by Lois Lowry (I'm at work and haven't catalogued them yet) and I can't believe the difference!!!!!! My back (between my shoulder blades) acutally feels relaxed!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been begging and whining our HR to send someone over to set me up ergonimcally and they haven't come through, but you have. Yeeeehhhhawwww!!! (Sorry, I'm a tad excited).

Linda said...

Great info on a laptop and how to use it. I'd heard of some of these things, but to have it demonstrated really helped. I don't have a laptop to date, but sure would like one some day. Just not sure what 'brand' is the best. I know so little about laptop. Any suggestions?
desertrose5173 at gmail dot com

Julie Lessman said...

Hey, Deb, I just converted from a desktop PC to a MacBook Pro and I have to admit that I LOVE it ... didn't expect to, and my husband SURE didn't expect me to either because I tend to be a creature of habit.

BUT ... I do notice a lot of neck aches since the screen is so much lower than my PC monitor (which was eye level as you indicated it should be), so thank you for alerting me to this. I also have a stationery keyboard I can use when I'm at my work station, so I can prop my laptop screen up as well.

Great info, girl!!!


Erica Vetsch said...

I love this post. The pictures are great!

Liz Wrobley said...

Hello again everyone! Mom wanted me to let you know that she had to run to Bible study. She'll be back early this afternoon. I am so glad you are enjoying the tips. Patti--I'm sorry you are having so many problems with your back. I would suggest talking to your MD about Physical Therapy with your epidurals. Sitting is extremely hard on our spines. You want to make sure you have a good supportive chair, take frequent breaks and you can try a lumbar roll. You can buy lumbar rolls, but I always prefer to have my patients make their own. Just take a medium sized towel, roll it up (you can wrap masking tape around it to keep it together), and place it horizontally behind you in the curve of your lower back. It gives your lower back support and it also cues you to remember to sit up nice and tall. Play with it and see if it helps any.

Mary Connealy said...

You really sit up that straight, girl?

I'm impressed.

I do that hand stretch thing. Instead of pulling my fingertips back, I stretch my hands forward so my elbows are straight, then with hands flat, as if I were saying HALT to children in a crosswalk, I tip my fingertips back toward my body. I can really feel the stretch when I do that. I to these several times a day.

No idea if it helps but it makes me feel so MEDICAL!

Mary Connealy said...

Also your office shows no signs of you risking entomb-ment if a paper avalance should begin.

Like mine would.

So you're okay.

Mary Connealy said...

I have a laptop but I tend to only use it on the road. Which isn't that often.

I mainly do a desktop.

My daughter strongly encouraged me to get a laptop with a desk top docking station. Which means you can take the laptop and snap it in place and then have the monitor and keyboard of a regular desktop, then unhook the laptop when you need to take it somewhere.

I didn't do it but I seriously considered it. Maybe next time. But my husband -on very rare occasion--uses our one and only desktop computer at home so I'd take the laptop away if I was on the road and he'd have nothing at home.

Teri Dawn Smith said...

If that desk is messy, I'm so glad you can't see mine.

Lorna said...

Debby, great post, and special thanks to your daughter for her tips! Love the stretches, too.

Can I sing the praises of the ergonomic keyboard? I have one on my desktop and another to attach to my laptop if I'm going to do serious writing when I'm out and about. They take a while to get used to, but once you do, it's hard to use anything else.

Debra E Marvin said...

Thanks Debby for a great post and thank your daughter for us. Hmmm, about that office. Truly, I believe it is likely in better shape than most.

I have an ergonomic keyboard at work and at home, and it's at a pitch to be lower at the back. This is such an important topic. I have a shoulder injury that started with overuse of my fingers from data entry. Developed into inflammation (impingement) then tendinitis to frozen shoulder. Some of us are at a keyboard 10-12 hrs a day (supplemented with housework)! Yikes!

LISTEN TO DEBBY and take care of your body.

Walt M said...

I need to change the way I sit at my desk at work. Also have to try these exercises.

I already have a copy of Killer Headline, so please don't enter me in the drawing. Thanks.

Pepper Basham said...

Wonderful post, Debby.
"Hi, Liz" waving from on therapist to another ;-)

I get so excited about actually sitting down for writing time that I don't think about positioning. But it makes great sense and draws my attention to my 'couch sitting' of late. Back to the desk.

Do you recommend propping feet up on a box or anything, or just flat on the floor works best?

I often read books while doing other things, such as cooking, folding laundry, walking on the treadmill. Would the 'hold the book up' rule still apply? I guess so, but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks for hte post Debby and for sharing your daughter :-)

jessi said...

Thanks for the well wishes, Debby. After reading all of these comments, I think I might have to go back to using my desktop more often. Bigger screen would be better for the eye strain, as well. Anybody else singing the tune: What a drag it is getting old...?
I know I said it before, but I'm so glad I found this blog!

Debby Giusti said...

Hi Patti,

Sorry about your back problems.

You mentioned having pain in your hips. I place an extra cushion on my desk chair to soften the rather hard seat. Doubt your pain could be eased by such a simple fix, but the extra padding does help me.

I've also heard of writers who sit in recliners when they work. They place the keyboards on their laps and have the monitors on a table. By enhancing the font they can view the screens from a distance. Doubt Liz would give it her blessing and I'm not even sure if I've got all the details right, but writers are creative and the recliner works for some.

Tracy Elkins said...

Thanks so much Debby and Liz! Especially for the hand exercises and the reminder to get up from the 'puter and putter around. I forget that I need to get up and move around. Then duh, I wonder why I have all these aches and pains.

I am known in my family as the laptop killer. Hmmm....Laptop Killer...title anyone? Seriously. I went through three, laptops that is, before finally going back to a desktop, which I am ever so thankful for.

The last laptop I had lasted about six months before I received the dreaded blue screen of death. In my defense, that laptop had dual internal hard drives and one of the hard drives malfunctioned. With this laptop I also learned a painful, but valuable lesson to actually back up my files, more than every couple of weeks. Thank God for hard copies!

But the others would overheat, no matter what kind of gadgets I used to try the keep them cool. They all eventually succumbed via the fried innards.


Debby Giusti said...

I should add that one of the writers, who uses the recliner method, has had hip replacements. Evidently, the recliner takes some of the pressure off her hips.

Casey said...

I'm pretty sure I have broken all your daughters rules. I hunch over the computer, but I do bring my book to eye level. :P

Fun post!


Helen Gray said...


Woo hoo!!

I thought yesterday's topic ended.


Liz Wrobley said...

Pepper- if you are sitting, I would not prop your feet up on a box. That would probably put your knees a lot higher than your hips and cause back pain over time. If you are standing, propping one foot on a box or stool is good. This tends to take some pressure off the lower back. You can switch back and forth from side to side when needed. Also, when reading while doing other things, I would still try to hold the book up as much as possible. This is easier said than done, but the more you can keep your neck up in a good neutral position, the less pain and stiffness you tend to have. Hope this helps.

Debby Giusti said...

Hi KC,
Thanks for the info on the Thergonomic Hand-Aids. They sound great!

Thanks, too, for sharing your other hand exercises and the name of your desk chair.

It's wonderful to be able to share info today!

Debby Giusti said...

Hi Cara,
You mean you sit crisscross applesauce as they say in kindergarten? :)

Good for you! I wouldn't last for five minutes in that position!

Debby Giusti said...

So glad this post has helped you!!! YAY!!!

When I read that you'd used a book titled, "The Willoughby's," I had to chuckle. That's my maiden name. Is the book good? If so, I'll get a copy. :)

Debby Giusti said...

Hi Linda!

I've had good luck with HP and always buy their products. That way, I have less to learn when I get a new computer as they're usually set up about the same.

But...everyone has a favorite! Talk to some tech people and see if they can suggest a good laptop to fit your needs.

I shopped around and talked to a lot of experts before I made my purchase.

Debby Giusti said...

Hey Julie,
Glad you'll be able to prop up your laptop. Hope it helps. I know you've been at your computer nonstop over these last few weeks, which puts stress and strain everywhere.

Debby Giusti said...

Hi Erica,
Don't look too close at the dust in my office!

Exercises have to be simple for me to do them. Just did a series of hand stretches and leaned back a number of times. Then I remember Janet's suggestion and blinked! :)

Myra Johnson said...

Excellent and timely post, Debby! People would laugh to see the strange configurations I've come up with to make my desk area more ergonomic.

My mouse pad is on top of a 1-inch-thick telephone book. I have a small hand towel rolled up for a wrist rest (secured to the telephone book with a big paperclip).

Years ago I found a footrest at Ikea that I just love. The tread thingy is on two runners so I can push it to different angles with my feet.

And I did spend something like $400 several years ago on a customized rolling desk chair. Worth every penny.

Oh, and a wrist exercise I learned a long time ago is to lift your hands above your head in an "I surrender" pose and then rotate your wrists several times in each direction.

Debby Giusti said...

Liz captured me at my ergonomic best!!! :)

And she aimed the camera away from the piles of papers that need to be filed.

A docking station sounds good. My computer tech guy suggested I do that as well. But, like you, I've been dragging my feet. Still, it probably would ease body wear and tear.

Debby Giusti said...

Hi Terri,
Thanks for stopping by Seekerville today. See my comment to Mary (above) about my office and the photos! :) Everything depends on the camera angle.

Debby Giusti said...

Thanks for mentioning the ergonomic keyboards. Probably something I should add to my Must Buy List.

Liz Wrobley said...

Hey Everyone! I have really enjoyed chatting today. I am off to teach my Kindergartener's Sunday School class, but I'll be back later this evening if anyone has any other question. Hope you all are having a great day! Liz

Debby Giusti said...

Hi Deb,
Another great plug for ergonomic keyboards!

So sorry about your shoulder. Are you still doing data entry at your day job?

Take good care of yourself! We want you writing stories for a long, long time! :)

Debby Giusti said...

Hi Walt,
Do you work on a laptop or desktop? I should have taken a survey to see which one is more popular in Seekerville!

Either way, thank goodness for computers! I typed my first manuscript on an electric typewriter. Then I had to retype it after I revised the story. Shortly after that, I forced myself to learn how to use a computer. Of course, that was years ago in the Dark Ages.

Debby Giusti said...

Hi Pepper,
You read while you fold laundry? Amazing!!!

Hope it's a Seeker book!

Debby Giusti said...

We're glad you're here with us! I told Liz how much fun everyone is in Seekerville. She's been enjoying the comments and getting to "meet" all my online friends.

BTW, Liz has to teach a 4 PM class but will return later this evening.

Debby Giusti said...

Laptop Killer...aka Tracy,
You've reminded me to backup my files. So much to remember. So little time. :)

Heading to the fridge for an afternoon snack and a little body stretch!

Debby Giusti said...

Back from the fridge...

Ice Cream Sundae time. Help yourself to the assortment of ice cream and all the fun toppings. Don't forget the whipped cream and cherries.

Debby Giusti said...

Hi Casey,
My youngest daughter holds books up to eye level, but I always bend over when I'm reading. I'll try to do better in the future.

Good that you've got that mastered, Casey!

You're in the drawing for Killer Headline!

Debby Giusti said...

Cheryl's post yesterday had me laughing out loud! And I laughed again when I read her "pot" comment today!

Glad to see you're back online!

Patty said...

Thank you so much for answering my question. I'll mention the PT suggestion to my doctor and go from there.

Thanks again,

Debby Giusti said...

You are the Egonomic Queen. Tell me more about your desk chair! Pretty please?

Patty said...

Hey Debby, thanks for sharing your idea about the cushion. I've tried that a couple of times but have to work with different cushions to get just the right 'seatability.' LOL

And I look forward to seeing you at the WORD meeting next week.

Myra Johnson said...

Debby, I special-ordered my chair from a company called Champion Seating. It has all kinds of adjustments. Arms, back, lumbar support, height, tilt, etc.

Debby Giusti said...

So glad you'll be at the meeting! Looking forward to seeing you!


Debby Giusti said...

BTW, Patty, I use a small Japanese pillow--the type they sit on. It's thin but provides some cushion.

Debby Giusti said...

Thanks, Myra, for the link.

Project Journal said...

Oh my goodness! Very difficult to find your post today, Debby! It said you posted it 3 days ago! Lol!

Anyway, wow! These tips are great!! Trust me carpal tunnel is NO fun! Lol....though I seriously doubt I got mine from using the computer too much.....

Really nice post : ) Very helpful! Sorry I'm so late!

Glynna Kaye said...

Great info, Debby! At the day job I have a program on my computer that pops up at regular intervals with a different at-your-desk exercise to do each time. At home I set a timer at my desk to remind me.

P.S. LOVE your gorgeous office!

Debby Giusti said...

Hi Hannah,
Sorry you had trouble finding us today, but we're so glad you're here now!

Use good ergonomics to keep your carpel tunnel from getting worse. Okay?

Debby Giusti said...

Your exercise-reminder program sounds great. So, you do the exercises? Good for you.

Tina Russo Radcliffe said...

This was hugely helpful. I am so guilty. I just did the hand stretching and it is a amazing how a much of a difference a little stretch makes. THANK YOU.

Debby Giusti said...

Hi Tina,
Don't you have a computer set up on your treadmill? At least you're getting lots of exercise!!! I'm impressed!

Glad the hand stretch helped.

Anonymous said...

great tips...thanks for sharing.

kmkuka at yahoo dot com

Debby Giusti said...

Hi Karen,
Thanks for stopping by Seekerville! Hope all is well with you.

Tina Russo Radcliffe said...

Yes. During the week the laptop is on the treadmill.

In my office I always use a split keyboard. I need to get one at work too. I never have carpal tunnel issues thanks to that.

I do know that I need to utilize more key strokes and F key functions and rely less on my mouse.

Liz Wrobley said...

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the sweet comments. It has been great chatting with you all today!! Tina--I'm impressed about the laptop on the treadmill. Hope you all have a great night!! Liz

Ausjenny said...

Im late today as I had college today and got some info this morning for an assignment which I had to put in.
we learn alot of this in our computing books about how to sit and the distance from screen and also thinks like how to sit etc. my desk computer is the old type with a desttop box so its raised and i have to admit I like it better much height for me.
I have to say my wrist has been hurting lately it hits the edge of the desk when using the mouse and as I have wrist issues anyway and with painting it does get quite sore.

Debra E Marvin said...

ooops. I forgot to add, I already have Killer Headline also. I'd take one of the older ones though!

Debby Giusti said...

Hi Ausjenny,
Try the hand stretch exercise and see if that helps. Also, check your hand position on the keyboard.

Ausjenny said...

Thanks Debbie its more the other things I do as it has happened since before using computers. but the mouse I do need to get my mouse pad back. but will try the exercises. the left wrist cracks quite alot to.