Wednesday, December 22, 2010


Amazingly, we have barely over a week before we set sail into 2011. I don’t know about you, but I’m looking forward to ringing in the New Year. There’s something special about this invisible line on the calendar that signals a fresh start. An opportunity to close the door on the past year, take a deep breath, and set off on a pristine new trail. A new adventure.
Two years ago when I waved good-bye to 2008, I had no idea that in less than a month I’d get “The Call” from Harlequin Steeple Hill senior editor, Melissa Endlich and my world would be turned upside down!

Writing to a contracted deadline, endeavoring to write two books a year--while faithfully meeting the obligations of the demanding day job that pays the bills and enables me to pursue this dream--is all new to me. One published friend told me early on that she lived in a constant state of panic the first three years after she signed her first contract. She wasn’t trying to scare me, she was trying to let me know what I’d been experiencing was NORMAL for a newbie author.
I’m happy to say that (after I finished reading and judging what seemed like a MILLION non-inspy entries for the RITA and sending off revisions for “Second Chance Courtship” to my editor in late March) 2010 settled down--somewhat.
While pulling together ideas for the next book, I took a day off in April to attend the Desert Dreams writers conference, took a 36-hour jaunt to further research the setting of my Canyon Springs stories, then launched into writing book #3, “At Home in His Heart” (which I finished by November). During the writing of that, I also prepared a proposal for a 2-book contract, put together an art fact sheet for the cover of the first of those, completed copy edits and galleys for Book #2, submitted paperwork for permission to use my #2 cover and back cover copy for promotional purposes, attended ACFW in Indianapolis and a weekend prayer seminar. Managed to squeeze in a Seekerville blog each month--as well as an occasional guest blog.

Now, at this holiday-ish time of year, I’m working on my next proposal that’s due in January, as well as dreaming up ideas for books 5, 6 & 7 while simultaneously gathering photos and ideas for their art fact sheets, putting in an order to buy copies of my new book for giveways, setting up a February book signing event, etc., etc., etc. (Oh, and it might be nice to update my web site now that I’ve received a jpg of the cover!)
As I quickly learned, there’s so much more to being a published writer than finding time to sneak off to the computer and write page after inspired page! (Just ask some of the Seekers who get called on by their publisher for on-the-road book signing tours, speaking engagements, or all sorts of other mega promotional events.) .
So needless to say, as much as I’m looking forward to the new year and am excited about launching into the writing of my next books, my “batteries” ARE running low.
I’m not in a position where I can take weeks or months off at a time and camp out on an island beach to recover, to recharge, to refill the internal creative well. Instead, I’m gradually learning, as I endeavor to find a happy middle ground, to recharge in mini-bites. Instead of putting all my eggs in one basket, so to speak, looking forward all year to a hoped-for one-week stretch that I might be able to snag (and filling it with WAY too many expectations), I’m endeavoring to learn from Camy’s marathon experience. How to pace myself. Keeping moving, but holding some energy in reserve, recharging as I go before my battery is completely depleted.
So, while I’ve taken a few days off during the holidays to work on the book proposal, I’m also making an effort to take time for family. To touch base with old friends. To allow my mind to wander to the deeper realms where story ideas lurk—and where I can hear that “still small voice” of the God of the Universe. I’m consciously taking time to fix a cup of hot cocoa and sit down for a few minutes to watch rain drizzle down the window pane or snowflakes dance hypnotically through the air. To gaze at the cheerful lights on my Christmas tree. To take a short nap. A walk. Read the Bible. Meditate on it. Praise God.

Jesus said “Man does not live on bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.” We’re so diligent about filling our tummies, knowing our physical well-being depends on energy-deriving food intake. Yet how often we starve ourselves to death spiritually by neglecting to “be still and know that I am God,” and take in the nourishment that our soul craves!
I know I have a long way to go to find a balance in this new world I’ve stepped into, but I’m committed to grow in that realm during the coming year.
So how are YOU recharging your batteries during this sometimes hectic holiday season and preparing for the coming new year? Leave a comment and, if you’d like to be entered in a drawing for a copy of my upcoming release, “Second Chance Courtship,” please leave your email address (using “at” and “dot”).
Wishing all our Friends of Seekerville a very special Christmas and a bright and beautiful New Year!


Glynna Kaye’s Steeple Hill Love Inspired “Dreaming of Home” is a 2010 “Carol Award” and “Maggie Award” finalist, as well as a first place winner of the “Booksellers Best” and “Beacon” awards. Her next books(also set in Canyon Springs, Arizona)are “Second Chance Courtship” releasing February 2011, and “At Home In His Heart” debuting August 2011!


Helen Gray said...

Coffee's perking.

I'd love to win a copy of your new book.

Your schedule makes me feel guilty. I haven plenty of time, but my batteries are low right now. For the past 4 years I've cranked out manuscripts at a pretty fast clip, but I'm in slo-o-o-o-o-w mode at this point. Brain dead.


helengray AT boycomonline DOT com

Debra E. Marvin said...

I don't know how you do it other than through Christ's strength. Just yesterday I was thinking, 'how do authors do it all when they have a full time job and deadlines?" I was beginning to think it was a myth!

I'm exhausted some days from trying to DO IT ALL (creating my own deadlines) but I know it can be done, you've just proven it.

I admit I'm frightened yet determined to go to the next step myself. Maybe I should pray more and write less--it would probably be better in the long run, right?

Your photos are so lovely and tell me to slow down and get some quiet time outdoors. Time for some renewal!

debraemarvin (at) yahoo

Keli Gwyn said...

Glynna, I think you need some Calgon pronto so it can take you away. Better yet, I think a gift certificate to a day spa would be just the ticket.

Thanks for giving us a behind-the-scenes look at what life is really like for a published author. I've heard the pace picks up. From what you shared, I'd say it goes from impulse to warp speed in less time than it takes to ink the contract.

Ruth Logan Herne said...

Helen, brain dead is allowed until January 1...

Remember the night is darkest just before the dawn.


Coffee is EXCELLENT, as always. I'm sending you my super-duper Ruthy-style battery re-charger, a link to the Notre Dame choir doing A Child of the Poor/What Child is This?

Every time I get uncharged, any time of year, I picture this song, these words, this blessing, this heartache, this innocence.

And then I follow it up with a little Breath of Heaven...

And then I feel better.

So much better.

I do follow this up with chocolate or eggnog, season deciding.

Deb, I think your life is a prayer. And how you 'pray' that existence helps alleviate that stress.

I'm not a big believer in write less, pray more if prayer is a constant. It's in the weaving, not the man-made timing.

"Preach the gospel at all times. When necessary, use words."

I love that quote and it's a guide I cherish. Except when I'm being snarky.

Glynna, awesome post. I'm so excited for you, for that forward thrust, for this progress!!! Bless you abundantly with re-charged batteries and more award-winning story ideas.

'Cause I just love 'em.

Snickerdoodles are on the cooling rack. Perfect with Helen's coffee.

KC Frantzen said...


Thanks for this splendid post. Nice balance, even if only on paper! Your photos elicited an "Ahhhhh" on this end.

"Be still, and know that I am God." Yes, yes, yes.

Filling tummy, neglecting soul by being busy - all too easy for me these days. As a long time bud says frequently, "Redeem the time."

Your post today is a great reminder to pray for one another. All the best for 2011!

Would love to win a copy: may at maythek9spy dot com

Helen, the aromas woke me. Nice! You are something, cranking them out like that for 4 years. Your faithfulness will pay off!

Debra & Keli, great observations!

Glynna Kaye said...

Good morning, Helen! Dlease don't let MY schedule make you feel guilty. There are other Seeker schedules that make ME feel guilty--how do they do it all with KIDs still at home? But guilt isn't where God wants us. He just wants us not to forget to slip away--like Jesus did when followed by throngs of hungering, demanding people daily--and recharge with him. I REALLY hang on to "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Sandra Leesmith said...

Hi Glynna, I love, love, love the photos of the snow and beautiful Northern Arizona.

I love your comment of starving our spiritual souls. I've said that for years. That we pay so much attention to maintaining healthy physical bodies and keeping our minds alert with educational and cultural activities, but we totally neglect keeping our spirit healthy.

My spiritual mentor gave me a great tip this winter. When I complained about not having time to sit with God during the day, he suggested I have spiritual snacks. Just a minute here, a minute there, a nice little close your eyes talk with God. So I have been snacking all day now. Works great.

Can hardly wait for SECOND CHANCE COURTSHIP. I'm hoping those are the books in the box. woo hooo

Glynna Kaye said...

DEBRA -- Before you get too "in awe," realize that some things had to "give." For me it's been the loss of as much recreational reading as I used to do, keeping on top of housekeeping, baking goodies for the church or office, watching TV, sewing, and keeping up with filing & other organizational stuff.

And I totally understand your exhaustion. Seemed every time I scheduled a day off to "crash," when I got home the night before there would be my copy edits or galleys that needed immediate attention--so my day off became a writing day after all.

While 2010 was much superior to 2009 as far as my state of perpetual panic, I'm really going to endeavor this year to "live deliberately" -- to meet my writing quota each day (I write before work), but schedule ONE evening a week when I don't HAVE to do anything except relax, visit with family, go for a walk, read, whatever. A night when I bring home supper, don't do laundry, don't clean house. I used to schedule that on my calendar years ago, but it kind of got lost in the stepped-up, post publication pace.

I'm glad you like my photos! Gorgeous country around here.

Glynna Kaye said...

KELI -- Things DO jump to warp speed fast once you get the call! I got the call on a Friday morning and that night had a revision letter with a deadline in my in-box! Oh, and a request for an art fact sheet, images and cover ideas by Monday.

I think the first year is the craziest as it's all so new and you don't know what to expect. Now I work on my art fact sheets and collect suitable photos as I develop the story ideas. When I got a 2-book contract this past summer, I had an immediate request for the AFS for the first one--and was able to email it a day or so later because it wasn't something I had to do totally from scratch.

I also write the Dear Reader letter and write 15-20 Discussion Questions as I'm writing the book, too, so I can give those a quick turnaround as well. Knowing what to expect next removes a LOT of stress--and you quickly learn after a few books. These other little "chores" are fun and easy to work on if you do them all along.

Glynna Kaye said...

MORNIN' RUTHY! Yes, keep writing AND keep praying -- a combo! Teamwork! I look back over the past few years and sincerely do not believe I could have written ANY of my books without God's input and strength to keep me going. There are so many uncontrollables in life and He's the only one who can get us through them.

Thank you for sharing the tunes. 'What Child is This' is one of my favorites. :)

Audra Harders said...

Love the photos, Glynna! Nothing more calming to me than mountain snow, except maybe the crashing waves of the ocean, but since Colorado is landlocked, that whole crashing waves thing doesn't happen often.

You are such a wise woman. We all need to recharge our batteries, especially during the holidays. I took a day off yesterday and our family went to the King Tut exihibit in Denver.




Like you, I don't have the luxury of taking weeks or months off from the day job, but my day job is the source of much of my writing inspiration. I'm so thankful the good Lord knew we needed the income and was kind enough to plop me in the midsts of a romance-writer-cowboy-minded-all-things-rugged dream. LOL! Bless their hearts, they even help sell my books for me!

Like plotline threads through a book, I yammer at God all day long weaving our conversations through the adventures of the day. People think I'm crazy, that I have voices in my head--but I do! Characters vying for position and the Lord calming me through the rough and smooth moments.

I don't know how folks manage without Him. I glad I don't need to.

Glynna! I received a copy of Second Chance Courtship through the bookclub and it is gorgeous! Can't wait for another Glynna Kaye original to take me away!

Glynna Kaye said...

Good morning, KC! Yes, I think balance for the majority of us is ONLY on paper. I know mine is! But it's something we can consciously pray about and move toward, inch by inch. Endeavoring to build in a little "margin" so that when life's demands build up or the unexpected happens we're not thrown completely out of the saddle.

Two books I like to read around the New Year are Gordon MacDonald's Ordering Your Private World and The Life God Blesses .

They remind me that I can't do it all on my own. (I hope the links work or you'll need to copy and paste into your browser.)

Glynna Kaye said...

Hi, Sandra!!! "Spiritual Snacks." Something to tide us over until supper time! :) Again, living deliberately and consciously stopping for a few minutes throughout the day to connect with our Maker. So often we leap out of bed and race into our day, leaving God in the dust. Remember the little book "My Heart Christ's Home? Used to be a little pocket tract when I was in college, but I see now it's available in book form. My Heart Christ's Home

Glynna Kaye said...

HEY AUDRA! That book club is right on the ball! Hope you enjoy "Second Chance Courtship!"

I'm like you--I "yammer" with God all day. But sometimes I realize I'VE been doing all the talkin' and I need to sit down and shut up and let him get a word in edgewise. He didn't say BE STILL for nothin'. :)

Julie Lessman said...

BEAUTIFUL REMINDER, Glynna, of just how important faith, family, friends and peace of mind are ... without them, NOTHING else really matters, does it?

I love your comment about the "imaginary line," because that is SO how I see it! In my mind's eye, I see this big gap between Dec. 31st and January 1st that I have to walk across, as if New Year's Day is on the other side of the room. :)

How do I recharge over the holidays? Well, this year it's a bit easier since we scaled WAY back on presents and entertaining, but I absolutely LOVE to watch Christmas movies (or any romance movies) while I'm wrapping presents or preparing books to send out or cooking dinner since my hearth room (attached to the kitchen) is dressed to the hilt with twinkle lights, greenery, reindeer and a blazing fire.

During commercial breaks, I always read books (extra special this year because I have Audra and Tina's books to read -- YEAH!!).

And because this is such a holy and precious time of year, I am always keenly aware of just how important God is in my life. To me, He is in every book I read (literally!), almost every movie I watch, every twinkle light and every kiss from my husband because each time I experience the wonders of any of those things, I am reminded how incredibly blessed I am by a God I would be lost without -- figuratively and literally.

Merry Christmas, all!


Andrea Chermak said...

What a great post for us hopeful authors! It's nice to know what's (fingers crossed) in store for us. Thanks for sharing, Glynna. That box full of books made me smile, and they're not even mine :)

BTW, I just added Dreaming of Home to my Nook. Judging by the excerpt on your site, it looks like the perfect Christmas vacation read.

Don't enter me in the drawing, though. I'll go back and download the new book when it's available in January.

Janet Dean said...

Glynna, I stand in awe of all you accomplish and still maintain an amazing balance of the important!

To recharge my batteries I stay away from my computer in the evening, spending that time with my dh. I'm way behind with emails and have to forgo online sites I'd like to visit, but I'm sleeping better and feeling more relaxed. Creativity doesn't come easily to an uptight author.


Joanne Sher said...

To be honest, during the holidays, it's harder for me, but I'm trying to keep my to-do list as short as possible.

When the kids are in school, though, I have a short time each day when I "turn off" everything. I spend about ten minutes in line to pick up my kids from school. That is my reading time - reading for PLEASURE. It helps a LOT to have that time, short as it is, set aside.

And PLEASE enter me for the book :)
Joanne AT joannesher DOT com

Sherrinda said...

You are amazing! What discipline it takes to do all that you do! For me, I am trying to recharge by using my two week vacation (I work at a school) to read books and watch at least one movie a day. It's so indulgent and I have so needed it.

Merry Christmas!

Glynna Kaye said...

JULIE -- Your "recharge" sounds wonderful. And you're so right about almost this time of year drawing our eyes, ears and heart to all the evidence of God's love. The gift of His son proves he so deeply longs for a relationship with each of us. But it's OUR choice.

Glynna Kaye said...

GOOD MORNING, ANDREA! I hope you enjoy "Dreaming of Home!" (I want to get a nook or kindle at some point, too.) Thank you for buying it!

Glynna Kaye said...

JANET - Great idea to back off the computer at night. I'm trying to do that some, too, like shutting down by 7 if at all possible. I've read where electronic "glowing" media after dark can confuse the brain and mess up sleep patterns. I'm glad to hear I'm not the ONLY one with a billion backed-up emails! Like you, getting away from the computer gives my brain a little time to move into the more creative realms--there's just something about pulling out my unlined newsprint pad and letting my mind wander unrestricted that jumpstarts my creative juices.

Glynna Kaye said...

HI JOANNE! I'm sure those minutes of reading are precious and that you really look forward to that refreshment.

I seldom get away from my desk for lunch during the week, but in the summer when the weather is warm & nice I like to occasionally slip out under the trees surrounding my office to eat my sandwich and read a chapter and notice God's handiwork in nature. That short 30-minute break does amazing things for me the rest of the day.

Glynna Kaye said...

SHERRINDA -- Your two-week recharge sounds delightful! Sometimes just knowing that's waiting ahead of you, like a dangling carrot, can keep you going through the toughest times.

Lorna Faith said...

...loved reading your story:) I'm working on my first book and love the learning process. for recharging my batteries...besides meditating and having my God-talks...I read, read, read! It totally helps me unwind:)
I would love to win a copy of your new book. My email address is lornafaith(at)gmail(dot)com.
thanks for sharing,

CarolM said...

Morning! Wish I drank coffee but I don't so... /tosses handful of caffeine patches next to Helen's coffee/ And here's a bunch of Dr. Pepper too.

I'd offer to share the 9 dozen + 10 cookies that are done/baking but I'm actually 2 short :/. For some reason I thought I needed 8 dozen but I don't - I need 10. And if I'm honest, DS3 and I ate at least two cookie's worth of dough while baking them. But I did get an extra 10 out [usually I make 9 dozen in a triple batch because that's all the pans I have and we munch on the dough - no lectures please ;)].

Now I have to convince the 3yo that he doesn't get to have ANY of the cookies he helped make :(. We'll have to make more later.

With all the running around I have to do today - one more present to buy, stocking stuffers, couple things to mail [not worried about them getting there this week], dropping the cookies off at the girls' school [today's their last day but I forgot to make them last night] - this is quite timely. I need to take more breaks. Or more deliberate breaks, intentional breaks from everything.

But I gotta say you're scaring me a bit Glynna ;).

I'd love to win the book.

carol at carolmoncado dot com

captcha: maters - like Ta Mater, without the Ta - but twins. Twin Maters. That'd be something ;).

[and if you've never seen Cars you think I'm crazy =D]

Glynna Kaye said...

HI LORNA!! So glad you loved it! :)

Yes, reading can fill the creative well, too--all those words bouncing around in our head can inspire us, send our thoughts off on a totally unrelated road!

I've heard some writers advise during the writing process to abstain from reading altogether. Deprive yourself so YOU have to fill in the craving for words yourself.

Well... I think that's a very individual decision as it doesn't work for everyone. If I avoided reading when I'm writing to a deadline, I'd NEVER get to read. EVER.

My dear friend, author Joan Elliott Pickart who wrote over 100 books for Harlequin/Silhouette, told me years ago to "write every day, read every day."

Well, while I don't always get to read every day, I make a point of reading something during the week that's nothing like the story I'm writing so it isn't so likely to influence the direction my own book is heading--or intimidate me. So if I'm writing a book about an ex-rodeo cowboy who's come home to clear his name, I'm NOT going to read a similar book during the writing of my own.

Glynna Kaye said...

WOW, CAROL M! You're one busy lady! Just take little breaks. Five minutes even to look out the window and take a deep breath. But good luck on convincing the 3-year-old he doesn't get any of those cookies!

Oh, and no, I haven't seen "Cars" . . .

Mary Connealy said...

Glynna, bless your heart, you are so RIGHT!!!!!!!

I need to get out from behind the computer and do something completely non-writing related. Get the Christmas spirit.

You are so smart, girl.

Mary Connealy said...

I haven't done one speck of Christmas baking. I think I'm going to do one candy recipe and that's it. plus the pies of course. And bread.

Soup and appetizers Christmas Eve, I'm starving for stuffed mushrooms.

Turkey and the trimmings for Christmas Day.

The turkey is thawing.

I got it out and put it on the kitchen counter in plenty of time to thaw. December 15th, right? Ten days at room temperature? I lost the notes I took about thawing a turkey but I'm sure I remember it correctly.

Making a list and checking it twice for all the things in the house my granddaughter can use to be a danger to herself and others.

But whatever food we eat, once the kids start showing up, I'm having fun. I'm not even a little bit worried.

Mary Connealy said...

I've got my Angel/Chucky Doll out and plugged in.

She's beautiful.

Mary Connealy said...

Oh...and...I just reallzed I've got THREE activities planned for tonight and FOUR tomorrow...all at the same time.

Mental juggling.

The sad part is, one thing I HAVE to do, and other things I WANT to do. Why is it we all end up doing the things we HAVE to do and NOT doing the things we WANT to do?

I suppose it's because we HAVE to do them, huh?

Kav said...

Wow! I'm kind of...gobsmacked...after reading that! I'm amazed at how much you are juggling. I'd be quickly heading into panic mode if I were you!

I've really been feeling overwhelmed this last little while so this is a wonderful reminder for me. I have a week off starting Christmas Eve and I plan to use those days to destress by getting organized and starting the Beth Moore study I got months ago and supposedly haven't had time to do.

I like your idea of taking mini-bite recharging. I'm going to think about ways I can do that so the overwhelmness (not a word, I know, but it should be!) doesn't get me down again!

Don't enter me in the draw -- I'll be sure to order your book early from eharlequin!

Glynna Kaye said...

MARY!!! 10 DAYS AT ROOM TEMPERATURE? YIKES! Thank goodness I know you're kidding or I'd be making a PRE-Christmas dinner 911 call on your behalf. :)

I think that "WANT to do" and "HAVE to do" thing has to do with what's called "the tyranny of the urgent." SIGH.

Glad to hear Angel/Chucky is out to enjoy the season with you.

Glynna Kaye said...

Hello, Kav! The primary PANIC MODE ran from about January 2009 thru March 2010. Now I'm just in semi-worn-out mode. :)

I enjoy de-stressing by organizing, too! Have you ever read Don Aslett's "Clutter's Last Stand" or "Not For Packrats Only" ?? Very motivational with a humorous spin. I highly recommend them to get your decluttering juices flowing.

Keli Gwyn said...

Glynna, I second your recommendation of Don Aslett's books. They're not only helpful. They make an otherwise dull subject tonz of fun. The organization freak in me loves 'em.

Marion AKA Hope said...

I've been having so much fun reading all the comments! This is definitely the time of year when we could use a recharge on the batteries. And, unlike most rechargeable batteries, our spirits are ALWAYS rechargeable! They'll never overload, never reach a point where they've had one charge too many, never run so far down that the Lord can't rev them up again. I'm so thankful for that!

I'd love to win the book, too! Please toss my e-mail into the hat.

guitarista at iwon dot com

Thanks so much!
Have a blessed Christmas, everyone!

Marion better known as Hope Chastain (my IE no longer lets me sign in, and this is the window the Facebook post opened)

PS PLEASE pray with us that it won't rain/snow on Christmas Eve where we are. I'm needed to play in the program at church, and Mom gets sick if she gets out in cold rain! Thanks!!!

CarolM said...

Whew. I'm back. Stocking stuffers and Christmas present bought. Bags for teacher cookies bought and tagged and delivered to 3 teachers, 2 principals, 2 front office ladies, a nurse and one for a kid to give to the bus driver [didn't see ANY of my kids but did run into two of their teachers]. Two packages mailed.

Wiped out Mom ;).

No line at the post office was nice [and about 10 cars pulled in before I left - small town post office].

And the 3yo managed to get himself a cookie by taking a bite when Mom's back was turned. Sneaky little booger. No idea where he got that from. So 3 bags only had 11 cookies instead of 12. Ah well.

Mary - 10 days sounds about right to me =D.

Now, if I can get the 3yo to settle down with Blues Clues for a bit, I'm going to just veg for a while.

You know, after returning a few emails and checking Facebook... ;)

Ausjenny said...

Morning all or at least is says its morning me would rather be in bed but work feeling not 100% partly because I ate to much last night. Friends from over the border about 5 hours ago decided to surprise me with a visit to take me out to tea (dinner/supper) it was a wonderful surprise and my tree is full of gifts now.
ok recharge not an author but this year I know the study really exhausted me and I am now on break and recharging, Also I find getting away from it all helps like a small vacation just to get away from home. (Its a main reason for going to Hawaii to just get away from all the responsibilities)
Would love to win your book as I loved your first one

ausjenny at gmail dot com

Oh Glynna are you in the areas flooding in Arizona. They had it on our news and I thought of you straight away.

Glynna Kaye said...

MARION/HOPE -- You're SO right. There's no limit on the number of times God can recharge our spirits!

Praying for your situation and that of the many travelers over the holidays. Looks like many places around the country are going to get hit hard with rain/snow.

Glynna Kaye said...

CAROL M - You're really packing a lot into your day. TIME OUT! 5 minute recharge break! (You can share a cookie with your three-year-old.)

NO LINE at the post office? That's unheard of around here, even when it's not the holiday season!

cynthia said...

I've been resting a lot this week and catching up on reading, spending time with friends and family. I'm also hoping to spend some time catching up with hobbies that I don't have time unless it's vacation time.

Thanks for the chance to win a copy of your book.
cynthiakchow (at) earthlink (dot) net

Glynna Kaye said...

JENNY! I love your friends and their surprise for you! Sounds like a great way to kick-off your recharge period!

If it's flooding around here, the news hasn't reached me yet. Today the sun's shining brightly and the sky is a magnificent shade of cloudless turquoise blue. I think snow is supposed to move in tonight--anywhere from 3-10 inches.

Glynna Kaye said...

CYNTHIA -- That sounds like a wonderful way to recharge! I'm looking forward to that this weekend myself.

Pam Hillman said...

Have to...

Want to...

Have to...

Want to...

Have to...


Julie, got room for one more on that cruise????

Anonymous said...

hi everyone! My mom's biopsy is tomorrow so she'll probably be in the hospital until christmas day or the day after. that mass in the brain looks scary but we're hoping they're getting to it in time to help. Just still in shock and grief.

On a plus note here's some cake and ice cream (for ya'll up where it's cold crank up the heat!) and some chocolate's my birthday and I wanna celebrate! Then we can go watch the yogi bear movie!


Andrea Strong said...

Bible Study always recharges me. The reminder of how God loves me and what he's done for me never fails to energize this tired soul. And the wonderful thing about the Bible is, no matter where I'm reading, I'm ALWAYS reminded of how He loves me and what He's done.

Christian music gets me going to, contemporary, alternative, Southern Gospel, any of it.

Secular music can too I guess. I just can't scan past an '80s rock tune. Once in a while I even put the tv on the 80s satellite station and dance around the living room with my daughter to some of the same songs I used to dance to with my Mom.

Seekerville recharges me too, believe it or not. You ladies have been so good for me. When I have several days of no computer time (like I've had since Saturday), I always come here second (after my email) and learn something new or get a dose of encouragement, or just a good belly laugh.

I already won the book and am patiently awaiting its arrival, so I don't need to be in the drawing.

Glynna Kaye said...

SUSANNA - I know it probably doesn't feel like a "happy" birthday, but know that I'll be praying for you and your mother at this scary time.

Glynna Kaye said...

ANDREA -- We're so happy this is one of your "recharging" stops! All of our "Friends of Seekerville" are such a blessing and encouragement to US, too!

Oooh, yes, music! That used to be one of my very favorite "restorers," too, until my hearing got all messed up 12 years ago and now it's just discordant. BUT SOMEDAY in the heavenly realms, I'll hear perfectly again and will be able to enjoy even more magnificent, more beautiful melodies! :)

If all goes as planned and the weather cooperates, I'll get "Second Chance Courtship" packaged up and in the mail to the winners next week. I bought several cartons and just got my first box (as you can see at the bottom of my blog post)! Such a wonderful feeling to open up the cover and see MY words. I wonder if I'll EVER get used to that?

Sandra Leesmith said...

Susanna, Prayers coming your way along with Glynna's.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY. You are a gift from God. smile

Pam Hillman said...

Happy birthday, dear Susanna!!! Praying for your mother too!

Cara Lynn James said...

My batteries are dead, but I have to keep going until I'm finished with tomorrow's blog, line edits mixed with a few content edits and Christmas. Life doesn't stop because I have a sore throat and a cough. I take quick naps then keep on chuggin.'

Glynna Kaye said...

CARA -- Praying for you. Deadlines, sickness and those blog posts that seem to come around every other day aren't a good mix during the holiday season. Hang in there!

Andrea Strong said...

I meant to say earlier...
Susanna~ Happy Birthday and I'll definitely be praying for your mom.

Tina Russo Radcliffe said...

I am soooooooooooooooooo late.

Such a true story post. Life in the fast lane.

Hey, GK, love that box of books!!


Loves 2 Read Romance - Laura said...

Congrats on your new book! I have the week between Christmas and New Years off which I am very thankful for. I have been really busy getting everything ready for Christmas and then working for a CPA things will get really crazy after the first of the year. So I am going to enjoy my week off. My family has been warned that after this week off I will not have a brain until April! Merry Christmas everyone!!


Bri Clark said...

Music, movies, books...those are my power cells. When I find a new song it's like I find a new character. I can dive into the familiar comfort of the black and white of one of my favorite stories and it take me to that special place of subconscious wander only artists understand. A great film accompanied by my eternal companion aka hubby is my simplest lasting love. Those are my mini charges.


robynl said...

I recharge by taking a break and watching a Christmas movie, checking many blogs, or by phoning someone on my list and talk a while.

please enter me for the book


Georgiana said...

I LOVE the view from your window! Part of my recharging efforts come from going to work. LOL! I have a 10 hour a week job that I really enjoy and is 100% different from everything else I do. Odd, but it helps.

KC Frantzen said...

Will look those up - thanks. I do so love the wisdom in Seekerville. :). And humor of course!

Wow - The Call and immediate tasks & deadlines. Whoa!

Is there a good place to find out art fact sheet info and Dear Reader and discussion questions?

That would be helpful to get a jump on things.

Praying, Susanna.

KC Frantzen said...

Oh Mary...

Do post a photo of your ANGEL would you? I'm trying to envision what your kiddoes can possibly see lurking there. But I never did get the whole clowns are sinister thing either so, maybe that's the problem.

Glynna Kaye said...

Tina -- Those boxes of books ARE amazing, aren't they?

Glynna Kaye said...

LAURA -- No brain until April? You definitely need to schedule in a few mini-breaks after the first of the year. I'm glad you're at least getting some time to recharge here at the holidays.

Glynna Kaye said...

BRI -- That "combo" sounds great for mini-recharges! Sometimes all we need is to put on the brakes for a bit and then we can jump back into the fray!

Glynna Kaye said...

ROBYNL - A long talk with a good friend is a wonderful rejuvenator!

Glynna Kaye said...

HI GEORGIANA! I have a feeling the view out my window this morning is a LOT like yours! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! :)

I once had a friend who had several small children and a ton of demanding outside commitments--even though she was highly productive at the day job, she said in comparison she actually felt she came to work to REST. LOL.

Glynna Kaye said...

KC -- not all publishers have Reader letters or Discussion Questions. There really aren't any "guidelines" so to speak, but ou can see samples of them in the back of every Steeple Hill Love Inspired book.

Art fact sheets (which not all publishers ask for, but Steeple Hill does) consist of physical descriptions of your characters, one-word emotional "core" description of the main characters, premise & themes found in your story, an applicable Bible verse, significant "symbols" used, a mini-synopsis, and ideas (including photo images) of characters, settings & possible cover ideas.

B.Schwind said...

Second cup of coffee and I am having trouble coming up with my newspaper article due today.I need a battery recharger. Put me in for the new book

Glynna Kaye said...

Oh, dear, BEV! Deadline time. I think most of us in Seekerville can relate to that in one form or another. Hope you get your needed recharge!

Jill W said...

Glynna, I love your ideas on how to recharge. I certainly need to practice a few. When I have free time, I often feel guilty if I'm not doing something productive. I'll tell myself I'm going to relax and read for a bit and I end up popping up every couple of minutes to clean this or take care of that. I do think Second Chance Courtship will keep me in my chair, so please throw my name into the mix. Merry Christmas!

Carol J. Garvin said...

A peek at your schedule leaves me breathless! It makes me feel guilty because now that I'm retired I *do* have more time than most to fit in writing with my other activities. I'm sure you've become adept at prioritizing and also in knowing where to look for added strength in the challenging times.

I was lucky enough to win a copy of one of your books in a previous draw (Dreaming of Home), and am in the midst of enjoying it now. An excellent story! Thanks again for it. :)

Glynna Kaye said...

JILL - I totally understand the "productivity" thing. Hard to sit still sometimes because there are so many things demanding our attention--and in our culture we've come to rate our self-worth based on our accomplishments. But we need to commit to stepping back regularly to evaluate if we're DRIVING ourselves toward a goal we (or someone else) determined rather than RESPONDING to God's "call."

Glynna Kaye said...

CAROL - As a newbie writer, I'm still learning where my strengths and weaknesses are in the creative process and how to minimize weaknesses and build on the strengths. What works for one person doesn't work for another just by the very nature of the way God built us. For instance, I'm NOT a late night writer like a couple of my hoot owl friends--then again, they think I'm crazy for popping up in the pre-dawn hours. :)

Happy to hear you're enjoying "Dreaming of Home!"

Anonymous said...

Would love to win a copy of your new book...THANKS!