Tuesday, May 3, 2011
Today's post comes to you from the shores of Unpubbed Island. For those of you unfamiliar with this terrific island, it's the place all 15 of the Seekers started.
We're proud of our humble, and sandy beginnings.
Pull up a hammock, because whether you're unpublished, newly published or multi-published, there are still nuggets of sandy wisdom to be gleaned here on Unpubbed Island.
A few things to consider:
1. Where you are is a wonderful location. Don't let today slip through your fingers because all you can think about is tomorrow. Become totally committed to savoring each minute of your presence in this day and this place on your writing journey.
Once you leave today behind, it's gone forever.
2. Whose yardstick are you measuring with? Living with 14 talented women isn't easy, and the hard part isn't sharing the single shower. The real challenge is living day after day with 14 TALENTED women. Anyone can cheer a friend when they are face down in the sand. But the true test comes when YOU are face down in the sand and they're wearing a hand woven crown of banana leaves on their head. Can you cheer for them from your heart? Sure. Once you stop measuring your success by someone else's yardstick.
The yardstick in your back pocket is uniquely yours. It's the only one that matters.
3. Get the sand out of your ears. The downside of today's communication modalities (texting, email, Twitter, Facebook) is that it encourages self-centered communication. What you have to say becomes the most important part of the communication. In your next real conversation I encourage you to listen. Hear the subtle nuances of inflection and tone. Pause before you respond. Fight the urge to interrupt, because truly, how can you respond until you hear? And how can you grow unless you hear?
If you don't take time to listen, how can your fictional characters?
4. Reaching tomorrow's dream begins by living it today. Planning is only a very small part of reaching your dreams. If you want to be a published novelist, live today like a published novelist. It doesn't get any plainer than that.
Take action today.
5. It's absolutely true that quitters never win and winners never quit. Resist the urge to constantly evaluate how far you have to go, instead, turn around and look how far you've come. Listen to that still small voice that says don't ever, ever give up.
6. Faith is not optional. Sure it's a walk in the dark, but faith goes hand in hand with expectation. Not just ordinary expectation but confident and joyful expectation.
Okay class dismissed. Help yourself to the giant fruit bowl of mangoes, peaches, pineapple, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and of course toasted coconut wedges.
For those of you who are new to the island:
Please review the following posts then head to the Spa for your free massage. We'll then meet you at the Coconut Shack for our afternoon mixer and Newbie Orientation. Map of the island can be found here.
Today's prizes come straight from the island.
So what do you think? Are you right where you're supposed to be?
Comment for a chance to win one of three corked bottles of sand with a message inside, straight from Unpubbed Island to keep on your desk.
And...one lucky visitor gets a coconut from the island (no, we aren't kidding) along with the Seeker release of their choice (if it's available on Amazon).