Saturday, August 18, 2012

Weekend Edition

According to This Old House Magazine, August is National Relaxation Month. It's in print so it must be true and I'm going with it!  In honor of this wonderful holiday let's celebrate the hammock!!




We Have Winners!

 Prize rules are here and  winners should contact us through our Seekerville email address. We allow 6-8 WEEKS for prizes, to allow for forces beyond our control, such as babies, Mother Nature and DEADLINES!! And if we goof up, just email and let us know and we'll try to get our act together.



 Monday it was  back to school with the "Kissing Queen," Revell author (Sister Julie)  Julie Lessman for "Kiss-ology 101: Warming up the Pages with Romantic Tension." No homework was  involved, but there was a winner of a giveaway of any of Julie's novels including A Love Surrendered and A Light in the Window. Congratulations to llmarmalade@yahoo.com (BTW: Spew alert on this post. JULIE IN A NUN'S HABIT!!!!)



"
Library Events: What's good, what's bad, what works, what doesn't." Since moving to the Carolinas and connecting with Carolina Christian Writers, the local ACFW chapter, Abingdon Press and Barbour author Myra Johnson has enjoyed several opportunities to participate with other CCW authors for speaking and book signing events at area libraries. Tuesday Myra shared her thoughts and experiences concerning how to make the most of library opportunities. Winner of a copy of Myra's latest release, A Horseman's Gift is Angie Arndt.



Wednesday Love Inspired Suspense author Debby Giusti blogged on "What I learned at RWA 2012." Debby shared  workshop tips and industry news that she picked up while in Anaheim. Winner of one of their choice of one of Debby's books is Jennifer Tipton. (PS. If you missed this post, go back and check it out. It's full of conference news & info!!)



Thursday 
Love Inspired author Mia Ross cruised in with her post on "Preparing Your Product". Mia shared words of wisdom just in time for ACFW conference preparation.Winners of  three copies of her latest release Circle of Family , the second book in her Sawyer family series are Sarah Richmond, Helen G and Edwina.  (WOW, THANKS, MIA!!)



Friday we welcomed Kathleen Kovach and Paula Moldenhauer with "Double Your Pleasure, Double Your Fun", with tips on how to collaborate with your best friend without becoming mortal enemies. Winner of an electronic copy of Titanic: Legacy of Betrayal is Andrea Strong. 



 Next Week In Seekerville


Monday: Join Love Inspired author Missy Tippens as she shares "Battling Episodic Writing in a World of 30-minute TV Shows." Missy will be offering a 5-page critique to one brave--I mean lucky commenter!



Tuesday: We are delighted  to welcome Kregel Publications author, Jordyn Redwood with her post "Thriller Tension: Killing your Reader." And...Jordyn is generously giving away THREE copies of her debut release, Proof. 



Wednesday: Seeker Glynna Kaye will share how to ensure your characters come alive on the page in "Don't Just Let 'Em Stand There!" She'll also give away to one lucky winner a copy of her October release, book #4 of the 6-book Love Inspired Texas Twins series, Look-Alike Lawman.



Thursday: Thomas Nelson author Cara Lynn James will be sharing the behind the scenes backstory of her new release, A Path Toward Love.



Friday:  Love Inspired author and 2012 Carol Award finalist Tina Radcliffe brings you "Taking the ME out of Social MEdia."  Stop by for some repartee and of course giveaways!








 Seeker Sightings


 A Path toward Love by Cara Lynn James is now available! Cara will be blogging next Monday,August 20th with Roxanne Rustand at www.roxannerustand.com (The All Creatures Great and Small blog).










 












  

Julie Lessman Sightings: 

August 17-22, 2012:  Win your choice of any of Julie's books INCLUDING A Love Surrendered or A Light in the Window: An Irish Christmas Love Story (e-book only) at Hardcover Feedback Blog.  Hope to see you there! 




August 24 - 25, 2012: THREE CHANCES TO WIN!!! Win your choice of any of Julie's books INCLUDING A Love Surrendered or A Light in the Window: An Irish Christmas Love Story (e-book only) at Inkspirational Messages Blog. Looking forward to seeing you!





 Debby Giusti would like to thank all those who took part in her book signing on Thursday, August 16, and especially those who phoned in orders. The turnout at the store was fantastic, and because of the support of so many wonderful folks, Embracing Military Families will be able to do even more to help needy children of deployed servicemen and women and Wounded Warriors. God bless you for supporting our military!

Debby will be on the Christian Author Network blog, WED, August 22, and hopes you'll stop by to say hello!

 Debby's interview on The Suspense Zone, is stilll posted, if you didn't catch it last week.  Also Susan Sleeman will feature the interview on her own blog, on Monday, Sept 20.


And a few photos from Debby's book signing Thursday!

Debby with Omega Bookstore Owner Karen Duncan



















Debby with Seekervillian Edwina Cowgill























You are invited on Tuesday, August 21, 7-9 CST, to Bethany House Book Banter with Mary Connealy. Follow this link,  and click “join” in the top right corner.There will be prizes and lots of fun.






And...



  



Come and join in the campaign launch for Mary Connealy's latest book, Over the Edge. Mary is celebrating the release of the newest Kincaid Brides series by giving away a Nook Color and hosting an "Over the Edge" Author Chat Party on Facebook (Save the date for 8/29!). Enter the Sweepstakes and get more info here.





Random News & Information



Q & A With Harlequin Heartwarming Editors (eHarlequin)



eBook Market 2012 (Infographic)(The Digital Reader)



Check out these FREE Writing Courses available on iTunes



Publishing Is Broken, We're Drowning In Indie Books - And That's A Good Thing (Forbes)



7 Writing & Productivity Articles Worth Reading (copyblogger)



On the Red Carpet with Harlequin Books at the 32nd Annual Romance Writer’s Awards (Harlequin Blog)



Congratulations to Publishers Weekly Beyond Her Book, Barbara Vey, 2012 Recipient of the Vivian Stephens Industry Award (PW Beyond Her Book)





Okay, hammockers! We're upping the ante. Every person who sends us a question for Dr. Stan gets in a drawing for a free copy of The Moral Premise. Winner announced September 2nd.Two questions, two entries! If you already have a copy you're in for a $10 Amazon GC.



 


Seekerville's October Birthday Bash is just around the corner, and big plans are already in the works, including several very special guest bloggers! 

We're excited to welcome back Stanley D. Williams, PhD, author of The Moral Premise: Harnessing Virtue & Vice for Box Office Success. Or, for our purposes, using MP theory to give our novels that extra "something" to make them resonate with readers long after they close the book.    (Check out his last visit to Seekerville, here!)


Adapting a quote from Dr. Williams's website, "While the physical, explicit story or plot line is what a [novel] is about, the psychological or moral premise is what the [novel] is 'really' about." Dr. Williams first visited Seekerville two years ago, offering an extensive overview of the concept including examples of the Moral Premise in published fiction. This time he wants to hear from you. 



  • What still confuses you about MP?
  • How can Dr. Stanley help you put MP to work in your fiction?
  • What other burning questions are you just dying to ask The Moral Premise Guy?
Send your questions to Seekerville at seekers@seekerville.net no later than Saturday, September 1 at 9 p.m. MST, and we'll compile them for Dr. Williams. Then watch for his guest post on Saturday, October 20! For more information about Dr. Williams and his groundbreaking book, visit his website, http://www.moralpremise.com








We leave you with instructions to hang your own hammock and links to buy your own at This Old House.  Have a relaxing weekend.


35 comments:

Melissa Jagears said...

Oooo, I'll have to think of some questions for Moral Premise day, I have the book and used it for this last book and I'm sure I can come up with some stuff....

Tina Radcliffe said...

Well, do it. Do it. Do it.

Kav said...

My goodness...where is everybody? I guess they've taken your hammock slinging to heart. It's blessedly cool here this morning, so much so that I'm freezing but too traumatized by the hot summer to consider closing the windows!!! I'll make some hot cocoa instead and share since there doesn't seem to be any coffee about.

I'm not sure if I have enough of a handle on Moral Premise to articulate a question but I'll put my thinking cap on.

Great weekend edition that I thoroughly enjoyed from the comfort of my own home! :-)

That whole Harlequin Heartwarming dialogue was very interesting. It's interesting to witness the birth of a line. And that link to the red carpet video clip...bwahhhaaahhhaa.

Ganise said...

Good morning y'all!

Congrats winners and -waving- have a good day Seekerville!

And I agree Kav: where is everyone, this morning?

Virginia Carmichael Munoz said...

We allow 6-8 for prizes to allow for forces beyond our control,

This line always pops up in my Google under Seekerville when I type it in.

I think Google is mocking you for the only typo on the page.

LOVE my WE!!!

Rose said...

Looks like another great line up for next week.

Congratulations to all the winners!

I love how you keep building suspense for the October birthday bash...last years was a such a blast.

The hot weather here finally broke, and I planned to sit in our gazebo to read my WIP outloud to the corn the field today-yes, I DO consider that relaxing!-but it's RAINING!!!! YAY!

It probably won't help the farmers at this point but maybe everyone's yard will green back up.

PS I have told all of you that Heartsong Presents (Harlequin) contracted one of my contemporaries?

Casey said...

I LOVE me some hammock time and I don't get nearly enough! But today I get to write, write, write all day long if I wish and I do wish!! Super stoked about that.

JULIE, LOVIN' the novella cover!! :D :D

Missy Tippens said...

Tina, just looking at that photo of the hammock made my blood pressure lower! I feel more relaxed already! Of course, the real thing would be even better. But I'll settle for the photo today since it's raining. :)

I hope you all have a great weekend! I started mine off going to our local community theater last night. Saw Once Upon a Mattress. They did a fantastic job! I loved it.

Missy Tippens said...

Virginia, that's so funny! I can't believe that line even comes up at all. LOL

Missy Tippens said...

Kav, it's cool here, too. 77 degrees! :)

Myra Johnson said...

Where I am today is enjoying the last weekend with my grandkids before they leave with their parents for a 3-year overseas mission commitment. See y'all when I get over my crying jag next week!!!

Tina Radcliffe said...

Kav! Morning.

I slept in.

We had a few cool days this week and it was wonderful!!!!!!!!!!

Tina Radcliffe said...

VIRGINIA. All this time and I never noticed. Kind of like line edits.

Tina Radcliffe said...

ROSE!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ganise said...

Whoopie, Rose!

Congrats!! :-)

Debra E. Marvin said...

well, I posted a comment early and ...I don't see it so maybe blogger is being fussy today.

Congratulations, Rose! Wonderful!
And woohoo weekly winners. What a great week it was.

I've brought some Maple/Pecan Danish from Tim Horton's but I admit I had a S'more already today so I should really go for a veggie omelette instead.

I'll get you a question for Dr. Stanley (I have the book!)

have a wonderful wekend. It's just about PERFECT for a summer Saturday here in upstate. ( P S places like Silver Creek, NY)

Tina Radcliffe said...

Silver Creek is in a valley, and they get a nice breeze off Lake Erie. PERFECT hammock weather.

Susan Anne Mason said...

Congratulations, Rose! Is this your first book to be published?

So happy for you!

Cheers everyone! Off to finish washing curtains and doing windows.

Sue

Tina Radcliffe said...

No this is what? Rose's third or fourth Heartsong?

Joanne Sher said...

SUPER WE, Teenster. And Julie?? Your cover for "A Light In The Window?" WOW - beautiful!!

Hope to get here this coming week, cuz the posts look WONDERFUl - but it's a busy one here. Worst case, there's always the archive, right??

And congrats, Rose!

Rose said...

Thanks for the congrats, everyone.

Yes, Tina, it's my fourth Heartsong Presents!

Virginia Carmichael Munoz said...

ROSE!!!

I'm going to celebrate with you!!! Because I love celebrations.

Should we have cake? Or pie? I've got a huge bucket of vanilla ice cream so maybe I'll bring the homemade fresh fruit syrups. And fudge!

OK, hot fudge! YAY for Rose!!

Piper Huguley said...

I will have to think of a question. I reviewed the previous post from Dr. Williams, and it gave me a lot to think about. Thanks for the nudge.

Virginia, I hope that the recipe for the homemade fresh fruit syrups will be in the cafe some Wednesday. I must have stock in Smuckers by now, so I would love to know how to make some at home!

Piper

Jeanne T said...

Love the hammocks this weekend! This may be the month for relaxing, but getting kids back into the school groove is anything but. :) I guess I can dream about it though.

Thanks for the links, Tina. Wonderful WE. As usual. I'll be thinking on Moral Premise questions. Goodness knows I have enough to learn about this aspect of writing. :)

Congratulations to the winners!

Virginia Carmichael Munoz said...

PIPER!

I already have Wednesday scheduled, but I can certainly stick on a little pictorial on fruit syrups. Mmmm. We have blueberries...

Now I really think I have to make some because... it's not just about me. It's the cafe.

It will be a noble sacrifice. *hand to forehead*

Helen Gray said...

I comemnted last night, but blogger ate it. I was too tired to fight him.

Today I commented, but blogger ate me again. I didn't have time to fight him.

Looking forward to reading Mia's book. Of course, I'll have to round up a copy of the one that precedes it and read that first. :)
Thanks, Mia!

Went to a meeting with the MozArk group. Discussed plans for trip to Dallas.

Watched a production of Elijah at the Stained Glass theater last night. Daughter played JEZEBEL!!

Okay, here's coffee for what's left of the weekend.

Helen

Edwina said...

Must say it was a delight to see Debbie at Omega Bookstore! Already started reading the book and can't stand to put it down. Alas, the dust bunnies are taking over and I have to stop reading to clean!

Thanks, Mia for the book - I'm looking forward to reading it and like Helen, I have to get book one first.

Blessings to all!

Sandra Leesmith said...

Great WE Teenster. And I have my hammock swinging between two pine trees and ready for me to jump in.

Congrats Rose. woo hoo and how sneaky to just whisper that in a ps at the end of your post. smile

Virginia- yep relate to the glitter in the carpet also. Guess that is why the quote appealed to me so much. LOL Oh and a bucket of ice cream-you are a girl after my heart. And I'll take some blueberries too. Great crop this year. I'm enjoying the raspberries also.

Debra, I'm adding some of Virginia's ice cream to the Danish. yum.



Sandra Leesmith said...

Martha Alderson-the Plot Whisperer is coming soon also. She will join us in October too.

Think of some questions for her. She's wonderful.

She has a workbook releasing this month which I can see is already going to be a big help for me.

Julie Lessman said...

OH, MAN, one of those hammocks are mine, sweetie!!! Biked 26 miles yesterday with DIE-HARD bikers (including my hubby) and don't wanna do nothing but relax today!!!

Great, WE, Teenster!!

Hugs,
Julie

Nancy C said...

Every weekend I think the WE can't get any better ... and then it does. Terrific links. I didn't know about all those classes at iTunesU. Wow. A person could stay there 24/7 :-)

And did you see this line in one of the 'Articles Worth Reading' -- "When you don’t know what to write about, it’s a sign that you’re disconnected from your audience." Boy would that sentence be a discussion-starter.

So, merci beaucoup, Tina for putting this WE together (I'm looking for different ways to say "thank you").

Rose -- if I knew you sold #4 to Heartsong, I forgot ... so congratulations. A person can never have too many congratulations.

Myra -- a 3 year mission trip? Will they come home at all during that time? If you have access to a Mac or iPad, check out FaceTime. We use it with a relative out of the country and it is soooo good to see them while you talk :-)

I need to refresh on The Moral Premise. When I do, I'm sure I'll have questions -- I always do.

Oh, and congrats to the winners!

Nancy C

Ruth Logan Herne said...

Oh, I'm back home, Toto! And if I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't go any farther than my own backyard!!!

:)

Aw, Teenster, great WE!!!! You totally rock the biggest Kahuna ever.

And Mary, what a stinkin' great contest! Oh my stars, I hustled over there and put my name in for that NOOK!!!!

Suhweet!!!!

Edwina, I've missed you THIS MUCH. Probably more.

So excited to be gone, (NYC with kid and the Yankees and hubby and kid's adorable girlfriend)...

And so excited to be home and back to work!

:)

Tina Radcliffe said...

Julie. I have told at least six people about your 26 mile bike ride. I am still in shock. YOU ARE AMAZING.

Debby Giusti said...

Edwina,
Thanks for coming to the signing. Loved seeing you! Good luck with your latest project!!!

Missy Tippens said...

ROSE!!! I just now saw your news!! Congratulations!! :)