Friday, December 7, 2012

The Best of the Archives:So Many Acronyms, So Little Time

 (This post first appeared in Seekerville 
August 2, 2011 and has been updated for your enjoyment.)

I think it's fair to assume that writer's don't get credit for half our brilliance. I'm pretty sure we invented the acronym. It was only natural for guys like Al Einstein to borrow the technique. After all, genius recognizes genius.

Acronyms are the foundation for text messages. Which of course launched Twitter as we know it.

So pat yourself on the back and if you're ready for a Seekerville acronym refresher, you're in luck.

Remember, acronyms are not to be confused with Author Speak, which Janet Dean has so nicely explained in this post from the archives.

WIP = Work in progress

POV = Point of view

2S2L = Too stupid too live (as in the heroine who is...)

ARC =Advanced reading copy

MS or MSC = manuscript

HEA = Happily ever after

H/H = Hero/Heroine

GMC = Goal. Motivation. Conflict.

GH = Golden Heart Award

CRIT = Critique

CRITTER = Critique Partner unless you live in Nebraska where it does refer to a small rodent in your basement

TBR = To be read

BICHOK = Butt in chair, hands on keyboard

BSD = Back Story Dump 

RUE = Resist the Urge to Explain

TAG = Title. Author. Genre

AFK = Away from keyboard

WF = Women's Fiction

ST = Single Title

SC = Short Contemporary

LC = Long Contemporary

SH = Short historical

LH = Long historical

YA = Young adult

MG = Middle grade

SF = Science Fiction

SF/F = Science Fiction and Fantasy

SF/F/P = Science Fiction and Fantasy and Paranormal

ACFW = American Christian Fiction Writers

RWA = Romance Writers of America

ICRS = International Christian Retailer Show

BEA = Book Expo America

CBA = Christian Bookseller's Association

ABA = American Bookseller's Association

PASIC = Published Author Special Interest Chapter

NINC = Novelists, Inc.

PAN = Published Authors Network

PW = Publisher's Weekly

NaNoWriMo = National Novel Writing Month

BIAW = Book in a Week

There are also the funny and tasteless acronyms:

WWJAD = What would Jane Austen do?

PUYBGP = Pull up your big girl panties

HUAW = Hurry up and wait

Seekerville of course has a few of our own acronyms such as:

DD = Don't Diva.

MDI or JDI = Mary did it. or Julie did it.

FOS = Friend/s of Seekerville

SKRVL = Seekerville

VP  = Village People (or for Vince, just the Peeps)

And today I'd like to propose a few we ought to be using:

WIDSAC = When in doubt, shoot a character

WTJR = Who took Jack's rum?

WWFC = Will write for chocolate

LMMOUI = Left my mind on Upubbed Island

What about you, any you'd like to share or create? Feel free to be funny and tasteless, just keep it PG Rated.

And just in case you need help...

Para Ducks Acronym Generator

Acronym Creator

Today, I'm giving away your choice of a 5 page critique liberally sprinkled with acronyms and/or for a reader, a copy of Ruth Logan Herne and Mia Ross's Christmas releases from Love Inspired, His Mistletoe Family and A Gift of Family.

Both were recently sighted at my local store. Winners announced in the Weekend Edition.


Helen Gray said...

CB=Coffee Brewing

Thanks for the refresher.

Christina said...

HH=hero heaven

Reading His Mistletoe Family

KC Frantzen and May the K9 Spy said...

Hee hee!

wayyyy fun today!

FTITK - For those in the know


Have a great one. And if you're around Franklin, TN this weekend, come see me at the Dickens Street Festival. May isn't invited since they don't allow "pets." Hurumph. Don't they realize she is an AUTHOR??

KC Frantzen and May the K9 Spy said...

Be careful. Seems Blogger is acting up. Save early, save often...

SESO - that's another good one!

Jenny Blake said...

I still love widsac.

I think we readers need one WRFC (Will read for chocolate)

For all you creative peoples I have fresh gingerbread people for you. I contemplated making a house but then thought who would I give it to. but still may and yes made the gingerbread from scratch.

Tina Radcliffe said...

I am soooo loving these. I write for chocolate.

Natalie Monk said...

Nifty post!

IIE: Incarcerate Internal Editor

SNIPP: Slow, Not-Quite-Necessary, Irrelevant, Pet Phrases

Okay my brain is tired now and I have only two. lol

But I can't leave off this one for Princess Bride fans: AYW - As You Wish (I tried to make something writerly out of ROUS's, but couldn't make it work, lol)

I guess that means I'm AC - Acronymically Challenged. :)

Iola said...

I also see TSTL for too stupid to live.

HFN = happy for now

There are others that crop up in the Amazon forums, and they're a bit like Rocky Mountain Oysters - if you don't know what they are, you don't want them.

Anonymous said...

I don't text alot, so I dont use many acronyms.

My husband uses SUS, shut-up stupid. There's a story to that one so he's really not being hateful. :)

A lot of people on here use DH, and I forget what that one stands for.??? I know it's talking about their spouse.

Connie Queen

Debra E. Marvin said...


that's a warning for too much backstory but is interchangeable with other meanings.

I often use this: FIX . This is not an acronym though.

Happy Friday! yay! I survived a full week of paid employment. (though I haven't written a drop of fiction)
Adjustment and extra sleep period is over. I start back on edits today. Really.

Ruthy and Mia, I will see you in Bedford Falls!

Annie Rains said...

You've cleared up alot of confusion over some of these acronyms for me. What's funny is my critique group calls ourselves the critters (but we thought we made that up). We also use BIC (butt in chair). We thought we made that one up, too :)

CONNIE, I think DH means Dear Husband. Not sure.

How about: WNEL- write now, edit later.

Jackie said...

Well, that's a whole lotta acronyms!

Can you give me an example of when you'd use....WTJR?

BRB...Be right back...might use on FB's (are you ready for this) #1K1HR.

That's all my per-caffeinated brain can come up with.

What a fun day. Thanks for sharing!


pol said...

I am a FOS
love going through all these acronyms,slt....
I want to win the Christmas books to read ..WCB

You all seem so much like a big family that is always sharing and loving one another. so all of you keep your butts on the chair and hands on the keyboard and write more stories for me to read....

This gal love to read..TGLTR

Paula O(

Marianne said...

DB = drinking coffee! Loved your post!
LOL - Lots of Love
never see this one without changing it from Laugh out loud to lots of love. Works for me.
love - WCB or make that WCB2R (to read) as wel as TGL2R (takes me too long to figure out what some of those mean so don't use them!)

Janet Dean said...

Fun post! Fun comments!!! Helen, love your CB and Jenny, your WRFC--anything to do with coffee and chocolate puts a smile on my face. Loving all the acronyms!!!


Janet Dean said...

DH means dear husband or at times, the dear can be replaced with darn, dumb, deadbeat. KIDDING. My dh is a prince.


Jeanne T said...

This was such a fun post, Tina. :) I have to question though, if writers created acronyms or the military did. I've had to learn a whole new language being married to my hubby.

IMHO=I always like this one: In My Humble Opinion
TMI=Too Much Information. I thought I made this one up years ago, but I've seen it around quite a bit. I'm pretty sure I'm not THAT influential. :)

Here are two more:
Let's see, HSOS=Help! Stuck on Scene
ILS=I Love Seekerville.

Amy Campbell said...

Interesting post. Thanks for sharing.

Tina Radcliffe said...

Yes. It was the military Jeanne. I learned a whole lotta potty mouth acronyms when I was in the ARMY.


Tina Radcliffe said...

WTJR is for when Jack from Seekerville's Unpubbed Island is visiting us.

Misty Russon said...

TTTWT= Too tired to write today.

I needed a laugh. Thanks!!

Sandra Leesmith said...

Tina, Love this post. I needed the reminder. LOL

Great new ones this morning.
Love the reader acronyms Jenny and Paula. Good for you.

My dh (too funny Janet-now dh is going to have another whole meaning) anyway my dh always says use the KISS method. Keep it simple stupid. But I always say Keep it simple silly. There are times though that the Studid sneaks out. sigh

Sandra Leesmith said...

Jeanne T love ILS woo hoo. Me too.

Anonymous said...

IAW in accordance with
IWA I'm writing already!
MFD marked for death
WWMS who would Mary shoot
FGTK fingers glued to keyboard
DNDDTWC do not disturb day tripping with Characters.

QWYA quit while you're ahead.

Tina P

Kav said...

I have BSD engraved on my forehead. (Back Story Dump) Sadly I can't see it since it's on my forehead and if I look in a mirror it's just backward squiggles. Not very helpful, right?

And I missed that Seekerville had its won acronym. You know you've made it when...

How about:

WWFWHCWCS -- Will Write for White Hot Chocolate With Chocolate Sprinkles -- kind of long, but an effective bribe.

HBAR -- Hurl Book Across Room -- for those reads when the heroine sorely tries your nerves.

FC - Fainting Couch -- handy to have for those swoonworthy moments.

And speaking of swoonworthy SWSH -- Swoonworthy Swashbuckling Hero

I could go on but break is over. AYG? (Aren't You Glad?)

Kav said...

MOB - Must Own Book

CatMom said...

What a FUN post today--thanks! Cannot resist adding this one: CAT (Christian Authors are Terrific)! Please enter me in the drawing (crit. or book!)
Hugs, Patti Jo

Kav said...

YBC - Yankeebelle Cafe...someone make me stop!

Ruth Logan Herne said...


I love acronyms.

At least with an acronym you know someone is "in" on something you may or may not know. So you can ask...

Not like "edu-speak" or "medi-speak" or "academia-speak"...

With those you just stand, smile and nod because you're pretty sure the speakers are so much smarter than you could ever hope to be and you don't want them to know your lack....

But acronyms?


Tina Radcliffe said...

Kav! Step away from the chocolate with sprinkles. Too funny!!

Tina Radcliffe said...

We're going to have lunch at PJCB.
Patti Jo's Cafe and Bakery. HA! In my April release.

Tina Radcliffe said...

WWMS. I love it Ms. Pinson.

Ruth Logan Herne said...


We're meeting up with Deb in Seneca Falls New York on Sunday!!!!

It's the annual "Bedford Falls/It's a Wonderful Life" festival because rumor has it that Seneca Falls is most likely the basis for "Bedford Falls" in the movie...

"It's a Wonderful Life" is my favorite Christmas movie of all time. I love a bunch of 'em, but that one is numero uno.

RT!!! (Road Trip!!!)


Christina, thank you for reading His Mistletoe Family!!!!!

I'm grinning EAR-to-EAR!!!!

Ruth Logan Herne said...


Totally ME-CENTERED!!!

"Hone if you love His Mistletoe Family!!!!)


I'm loving MFD. Pinson, I'm stealing it for my snark-moments.

And KAV!!!! YBC!!!!! :) I love me some coffee!

CatMom said...

TINA!!! Love it! PJCB!! Wooohooo! Cannot wait til April!! Hugs, PJ

Myra Johnson said...

Ruthy. "HONE if you love His Mistletoe Family"????

Let me see, where is my knife sharpener . . .

I need to bookmark this post for when I come upon an acronym I can't decipher.

Would that be a UA (undecipherable acronym)?

Mary Connealy said...

I remember well the first time someone replied to one of my witty emails with


I thought it sounded a bit like they were VOMITing and really took it the wrong way.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this post!

HAGW - Have A Great Weekend

Katie N.


C.E. Hart said...

ILS = I Love Seekerville!

C.E. Hart said...

Oops - didn't mean to hit publish yet. lol

I had other acronyms to add, but hubby is brewing coffee and the sweet aroma erased them from my brain. lol

His Mistletoe Family and A Gift of Family are great titles. (Love AGOF's cover!)

Jan Drexler said...

I always use DH to mean my dear, dear husband. I'm not sure what others mean. And, of course, that's followed by DD (dear daughter), DS (dear son), or if you want to be more specific, 20yoDS (twenty year old dear son).

And some others:

AGWP - a gift with purpose
DSWN - don't stop writing now
CPBD - can't put the book down

And yes, I love WWFC.

I think I need to top off my mug of hot cocoa!

Ruth Logan Herne said...

Honk if You Love His Mistletoe Family...


I can't even get my own acronyms right, LOL!

But that's okay, I did make youse FRESH SUGAR COOKIES with homemade buttercream icing....

No canned icing in Ruthy-land.

Not for youse, because youse mean the world to me!!!!



Honk if you love CHRISTINA RICH, now a fellow Love Inspired author!!!


Pepper said...


I know what RDI stands for

And it happens A LOT, btw

Pepper said...

Okay...TWO HONKS!!

Tina Radcliffe said...

I so wanted to be there this year, Debra and Ruthy and Mia.


Next year. I really want to go.

Please take lots of pictures.

Tina Radcliffe said...

RDI? What is RDI?

DebH said...

if i were clever enough, i could make an all acronym comment -

notice the lack of acronyms

did almost spew at WWMS though...

also love WIDSAC

very funny post today - some of these could double as personalized license plate tags.

i think Mary should have first dibs on WIDSAC

just sayin...

Ruth Logan Herne said...



Well, Seneca Falls.... You can visit Mom and Dad and we'll head to the festival together.

Mostly I'm dying to have some time with peeps!!!! Can't wait to pal around with Deb... Mia... anybody else who decides to pop in, all are welcome! Beth and Mandy are going, too. It's our first road trip in very long months.... Dave went on the last one.

I love him.

I married him.

But he doesn't TALK on road trips. He's like a silent partner.

I like to talk. I like it better when people answer back.

Without prodding.

Jan Christiansen said...

Another print-worthy post!

Michelle said...

I loved this post, I hope there isn't a test though...I don't think I can remember them all, maybe a cheat sheet is needed ;)

Here is one inspired by doing Nanowrimo this last month:
CIVN = Coffee/Caffiene IV needed

Jenny Blake said...

at the moment I am TTTT
(too tired to think)
But then I saw Mary's post about roflol and it reminded me of a lady on one group. she would always add LOL but at the most inappropriate places like a post saying my pet died to day and it was so sad and she would put a post with LOL.
I finally put up a post and about acronyms and said about LOL Laugh out loud and this Lady replied Oh my I thought it was Lots of Love. at the time there were some I had no idea about so it was a tactful way to post about it.

Another reader one ABGR (All books gratefully received) ;)
Or on the more dramatic side
HOTBANGH (hand over the books and noone gets hurt.)

told you im TTTT!

Christina said...

Jerusalem? Did somebody say they were going to Jerusalem next year?

Lyndee said...

BWGD = Blessed with Grammy Duty. That's what's going on today! Have a great weekend everyone!

Virginia Carmichael Munoz said...

I have the books but would love a critique! With acronyms!! How fun.

Virginia Carmichael Munoz said...

Lol, Tina!!

About the silent partner...

The last long road trip my husband I took, we're driving along at 4AM (better drive while kdsi sleep) and I'm chatting so he won't fall asleep.

I talk for a solid 10 minutes (not hard) and then I ask him what he thinks. He looks at me, as if he's suddeny realized I'm there and says, 'mande?'

Spanish for 'what's that?'

Yeah. I would have taken a nap but I was afraid we'd all die in our sleep if he was driving without my annoying presence.

Tina Radcliffe said...

Oh, Jenny. That story begs for me not to laugh...but LOL I did.

Tina Radcliffe said...

You and your husband are very interesting, Virginia. VERRY INTERESTING. VIV.

Tina Radcliffe said...

LOL, Michelle. Hook me up.

Ruth Logan Herne said...

Michelle, I love the CCIVN!!!!

I'm all over that acronym.




With a side of chocolate. It's Friday night, day job isn't done yet, and I've got stuff to do...

but a kick in the head is required to gather stamina!

Ruth Logan Herne said...

Ginny, I can totally see that.

We're like annoying bugs, buzzing. But treated somewhat better.

I like research road trips and day trips with the girls best.

DAVE WILL NEVER SEE THIS, so I can say that safely. No hurt feelings.

But I did promise he could go sometimes... But boy, I'm going to use the cell phone and talk with the girls every step of the way!

Vince said...


Answering only encourages women to
keep talking. Silence is golden. Silence allows a man to think and thinking makes him feel good. Talking, especially ‘trouble-talk’, makes a woman feel good. It would be better if women just asked men to silently rub their backs when in a car. That way they can both feel good.


*Truth be known

** Quod erat demonstrandum. It has already been demonstrated.

Anonymous said...

LIPPS Lessman intense/intimate pucker power scene

Tina P.

Tina Radcliffe said...

Vince, ooooh, aren't you brave in a room full of women!!!!

Missy Tippens said...

What a fun post! I remember this one from the first time. I love digging into the archives! Thanks, Tina. :)

Cara Lynn James said...

Lots of fun! I didn't know all of these.

Jenny Blake said...

I have a new one for myself
STICC (so tired I could cry) but hang on I did cry! its warm here today and for some reason I just feel so emotional and crying not sure if its thinking about mum, the reality Im alone, or just feeling down. I know I am really tired but I keep crying for no real reason cant settle to do anything either. even chocolate isn't helping and to hot to go for a walk.

Debby Giusti said...

Sorry to hear you're having a down day. Sending lots of love and hugs your way.

Can you call a friend and plan to meet for coffee or lunch, perhaps?

Maybe go to a local church and see if you can help them in the office or preschool or with a ministry? Sometimes reaching out to others makes our own problems seem less important.

Covering you with prayer. Holding you close across the miles.

Christina said...

Awww, Jenny ((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))) Sometimes when I feel that way, I bury myself in a book or two and just let myself cry at all those heart tugging scenes.

Renee (SteelerGirl83) said...

Well I must be TSTL b/c I only knew about what 20 or so of those meant. LOL (laugh out loud) :-P


Renee (SteelerGirl83) said...

OMG (Oh My Gosh) Did nobody mention the acronym made famous by Tigger -- TTFN (ta ta for now)? SMH (shakes my head) Hahahaha.

Jenny Blake said...

Thanks Debby and Christina its more the day I think cos I am so tired (didn't get below 75 last night and I didn't sleep) it makes it worse also think I ate something dodge last night. The temp is coming down and the wind is picking up but at least I can go outside. Being the weekend most friends around here have plans or things to do. Which I guess is one reason Saturdays are often the hard day. Being so tired doesn't help. I did read a little but just cant concentrate. the wrist is playing up today also. but I will be ok. I tidied some of this room which is a plus. when it cools a bit more will go for a long walk which always helps.

Jes said...

Fun post! :)

INTIME: I need to improve my efficiency
INTIMO: I need to increase my output

jswaks at gmail dot com

Mary Preston said...

A reader here: I could not stop laughing when I read:

"WIDSAC = When in doubt, shoot a character".


Pepper said...

Ruthy Did It!
I'm surprised you didnt' have that one up, Tina :-)

shelia hall said...

widcr-When in doubt choose romance