Hi Margaret, It is wonderful to have you visit with us in Seekerville today. I read on the Harlequin Website that you have written over 60 books for them that have been published. I also understand you have written several books with other publishers. She told me a secret also—she has several books written that haven’t even been published.
Wow. That is a lot of books.
I would love to talk to you about that amazing accomplishment.
1. Do you ever have difficulty sustaining your enthusiasm for writing? What do you do to keep your creativity charged up? Do you have any secrets you can share?
Yes, I have struggled with this during my over thirty years writing. Sometimes I just have to slosh through it because I’m on deadline. I try to take time off between books, if possible, and pace myself writing a story. I figure out how many days I have to write a book and divide it into my word count to see how many words I have to write a day to make my deadline. Try to write and read what you love, exercise, pray and connect with others.
2. How do you find new ideas and/or ways to make a boy meets girl with a happy ever after romance fresh and different?
I honestly don’t know. Usually a concept or a seed of a story comes to me. I brainstorm with myself and others, and it develops. I feel it’s the Lord working within me. I can go to sleep with a problem concerning the story and wake up with an answer.
3. You have also written in several different sub genres of romance. What is your favorite genre? Why?
Most definitely romantic suspense. That is my favorite genre to read. I love the fast pace, the adventure, the suspense, the excitement.
4. What was your favorite setting for a romance and why did that appeal to you?
That’s a hard question. I have several—the jungle, the mountains, the canyon lands in the Southwest. Often what I love to write is the setting becoming another character in the suspense story. Since I write romantic suspense mostly, I like the setting to challenge my characters.
5. You mentioned you were attending the RWA national convention in San Antonio. In fact, you are already there. How many years have you been a member of RWA? Please share some of your roles and contributions as an RWA member.
I first joined RWA when it formed in the early 1980s. For a few years I wasn’t in RWA, otherwise I’ve been a member since its beginning. I have been involved with some of the local RWA chapters, and I was a president of FHL chapter of RWA for a year. I’ve volunteered at the national conference and was on the committee to determine the classes at the national conference.
|Lacy Williams and Margaret Daley|
6. You have been putting out novellas with other Love Inspired authors. Can you share what it is like working with authors for an anthology of novellas?
I have enjoyed working with Lacy Williams, Debra Clopton, Janet Tronstad, Camy Tang and Linda Goodnight. They are fantastic authors to be with in a novella collection. They are professional, supportive and easy to work with.
7. I hear you are working on a special project. Can you tell us about the series Strong Women, Extraordinary Situations? What instigated this series?
I was ending my Guardians, Inc. Series for Love Inspired Suspense, but I still had readers ask me if there were going to be any more of the stories about female bodyguards. I started thinking about why the readers enjoyed those stories. Many told me they loved seeing a strong woman in the book. That’s what gave me the idea to do the first one in a series about different strong women—from a law enforcement officer to a doctor to a mother. I’ve started with a female bodyguard and a female Texas Ranger. I’d love to know from you all what you think a strong woman is and what occupation you would like to see me write about in the series.
Thank you Margaret for joining with us today. Please share with us some of your conference experiences in your comments today.
Those who comment will be entered into a drawing for some gifts from Margaret. One winner will win an ebook copy of Deadly Hunt.
A second winner will win an ebook copy of Deadly Intent from the Strong Women, Extraordinary Situations Series.
A third winner will win a print copy of Christmas Bodyguard which is the first book in the Guardians, Inc. Series about female bodyguards.
What lovely gifts. Thank you Margaret. I know you need energy for the conference, so I’ve set out a table filled with chocolates from Sees Candies. Have fun.