Friday, December 2, 2016

Best of the Archives: The Secret Life of an Inspirational Romance Writer

This post first appeared in Seekerville July 30, 2015. Comments are closed today as we enjoy a day to catch up on reading and writing.

 

Today I'm going to set the record straight. 

What's it really like to be an inspirational romance writer?

It's fabulous. Absolutely fabulous.

Sure, it's annoying to have to dress incognito when I go into the world, but that's a small price to pay for the life I live. 

Wait a minute. Wait a minute. The truth is I do dress incognito. My whole life is incognito. HA!

In my ordinary world no one knows that I'm an inspirational romance writer. 

This week  a coworker asked about my recent absence. I shared that I went to New York City for a conference on my vacation.

"A conference? What kind of conference?"

"Um, I do a little writing on the side."

"Oh, a hobby."

Sigh. "Not exactly a hobby...."

This is a typical reaction to my revealing my secret life. 

Of course there is the occasional flip-side of that. I have another coworker with whom I have shared that I write inspirational romance. She told me that her mother is a voracious reader. So I brought in a copy of my latest release, Safe in the Fireman's Arms (in a brown paper bag, of course) for her mom.

That coworker came by my desk later with tears in her eyes and stunned expression on her face. "I texted the cover of your book to my mom. My mother already read your book. She said it was really good. She wants to read it again."

"Your mom is a fan of mine?"

"YES!!"

Those moments are far and few between, but they are absolutely priceless. They make me want to shout!

"I'm an inspirational romance writer! I'M AN INSPIRATIONAL ROMANCE WRITER!"

So although I'm not fabulously rich and famous.

And no one recognizes me when I walk down the street.

And though I don't dress in full tiara mode.

Or sit in on a mountain top waiting for a word from God.

There are a few perks to this gig...


I write fun and sassy books about real Christians and their daily struggles and my name is on the cover of those books.

I get paid for that honor.

My book is on the shelf in the grocery store!

I'm honored to have the privilege to share my faith in a way that is truly me. 


And once or twice a year I get to meet my tribe at conference. And there is nothing like it. That amazing feeling of being surrounded by like-minded individuals who really, really get me.


Each year the tribe grows a bit more as I reconnect with old friends and add new ones. It's truly an amazing honor and a kick in the pants as well. I'm not ashamed to admit I need my people and yes, they do validate me in a real and very necessary way. After five days with my peeps am ready to go back in the cave and back to my solitary life for another year or so. 




By the way, another perk of conference is I still get to be a fan girl who crushes on her favorite authors.

Here I am with suspense author and two-time RITA winner Laura Griffin. (EEEEEK!)



And with New York Times and USA Today, best-selling author Shelley Shepard Gray who asked me (ME!!!) to sign a book at the Harlequin Book signing event. Another fan girl moment! (omgosh, omgosh, omgosh) 




 The morning after the Harlequin Black & White Ball, I could barely walk after hours of moving on the dance floor like a John Travolta wanna-be. Limping and suffering quietly, with only four hours of sleep, I met Kate Breslin for breakfast. 

Kate! You were worth the pain. 

What a treat to chat with her and Irene Hannon and Lisa Carter and Tanya Agler over scrambled eggs. 



Surrounded by STARS!!!!  I can now die happy! MY TRIBE!!!  


Today I'm back to my office. This is  the reaction I got upon my return.


So what about you? What's your world as an inspirational romance writer like? Do you ever share that you have a secret life? Does anyone get it?  





Tina Radcliffe is thrilled to share that Rocky Mountain Cowboy, is available for preorder. If you enjoyed Dan Gallagher's book, Stranded with the Rancher, you'll love how the mighty falls. Joe Gallagher in in Rocky Mountain Cowboy.

 
P.S. Apologies for the excessive use of exclamation points in this post. It was..well, unavoidable!!!