Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Relationship, Relationship, Relationship!



By Guest Authors from Mountain Brook Ink

Mountain Brook Ink publishing focuses on reader relationships and stories of restoration and renewal. We asked some of our authors to share how they connect relationships: relationships between plot and setting, message and story, and author and reader. Here’s what they had to say: 


Setting is as important to a story as the characters and the plot. I often choose small towns in which to set my stories, but sometimes the plot requires a city. For example, my book The Reluctant Groom is a modern day marriage of convenience story set in the more believable environment of big city Seattle.

But there is no way The Sleuth’s Miscalculation would work in a big city. The plot revolves around a small town librarian who enjoys solving mysteries and consults for the Sheriff’s Department for non-violent crimes. This story begged to be set in a small town with all the familiar quirks that go with small town life. 

Let’s look at settings on television shows. Can you think of an example of where setting was critical to the story? Can you imagine Magnum P.I. being set anyplace but Hawaii, or Castle anyplace but New York City? Those settings enhanced their stories; our settings enhance our books.

In my process, setting is one of the first factors I determine. The very first series I sold was actually based on the setting, and I wrote the story around it. I hope this has encouraged you to have fun with setting and use it to enhance your next project.



The novel that kickstarted my career was released as part of the Love Finds You line. I held Costco book-signings, received a hardback edition, and had the novel optioned for film. But the most important thing I learned? The power of setting.

In researching for Finding Love in Sun Valley, Idaho, my best friend and I visited a famous lodge and I took my kids white water rafting. Later, my husband and I decided to ride the motorcycle to Montana and also volunteer at the Sun Dance Film Festival in Utah. I learned things that I wouldn’t have known to add to my stories had I not experienced the location for myself.

Pre-order: https://amzn.to/2PvOZWh
I didn’t want to stop there though. I wanted to set authentic stories all over the world. So I got a job for an airline two years ago. Since then, I’ve hiked the mountains of Colorado, driven a convertible to Key West, attended my first MLB game in Arizona, watched the sun set in San Diego, etc.. My life has become as exciting as that of my characters.

I may not dream fantasy worlds, but I’m so enamored with our world that I want to experience as much as possible. Either way, I find inspiration everywhere, and I believe my Resort to Love series is better for it.


Book cover coming soon!
Linda Thompson (The Plum Blooms in Winter): Melding Message with Story:

I plot my books “inside out.” And I suspect I’m not alone.

A true story inspired my debut novel, The Plum Blooms in Winter. The aspect of the story that gripped me—its real power—was in the characters’ final epiphanies, their realization of a theme or revelation. But what kind of epiphanies will I portray in my stories?

For my first book, I naively intended the epiphanies to unfold as they happened in real life—while reading the Bible; while hearing a sermon. But that approach isn’t compelling enough for fiction. For a reader to “feel” the character’s epiphany—and have it rock their own world—it must be triggered by “an action and sensory details the reader can share.” (Janet Burroway, Writing Fiction: A Guide to Narrative Craft) Burroway supplies an example where an epiphany is sparked by the sight (and smell!) of a trout struggling in a net. Rich sensory details take the POV character back to a memory that triggers his realization and carries the reader in the current of that turning point.

How can you magnify an epiphany?

Engineer your character arc: Start your character with a flaw that places her far away from the point where she’ll end up. 

Engineer your supporting cast: An array of characters with diverse perspectives can help you thoroughly examine the topic of your character’s epiphany, plus create tension and dimension. Consider Tolkien’s casts, and his theme: can everyday people accomplish enormous things?


 Taylor Bennett (Porch Swing Girl): Connecting with #Bookstagram

It can seem like being an author is all about platform—that word is everywhere, from an agent’s submission guidelines to the ads popping up on your browser, shouting things like “Build a Bigger Platform Now!” 

With all of this pressure to cultivate a group of rabid fans, it’s easy to make platform sound like a regulation, a requirement—something along the lines of “each submission must be double-spaced with 12 pt. Times New Roman font…”

BUT IT’S NOT.

Creating a platform can be an incredibly enjoyable and fulfilling experience for both the author and their group of readers. Take it from me—before I dreamt of being published, I had nothing more than a languishing Facebook account. Skeptical of social media in general, I was hesitant to start promoting myself (and my writing) on platforms such as Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.

But that changed.

I discovered the #bookstagram community, a vibrant group of readers and writers on Instagram. And no matter their diverse passions, they all share a common love: books. Their posts typically highlight a book they’ve read, a book they’re excited to read, or a book that touched their life while growing up.

In other words, this sweet, supportive community is an amazing place to market without actually marketing. By joining in the chatter about some of your favorite books, you can connect with fellow readers who might be interested in checking out your book, too.

It’s a win-win for everyone…and it’s tons of fun, too!

 Janalyn Voigt (MONTANA GOLD series): Description and Connection

Readers often mention that they felt like they actually visited my story worlds. While I love hearing that, it wasn’t always the case. I blush to recall receiving critiques scrawled with messages of a less heart-lifting nature. “Help! I’m drowning in detail.” “Nice description in the opening scene, but when does the story start?” “You don’t need to grandstand.” 

Ouch. 

I had a lot to learn. Grinding through edits has a way of polishing a writer.  Working with editors is an apprenticeship that has taught me to write with more finesse. 

Now, here’s what I don’t do when writing descriptions:

l  Don’t start a story with scenery. Readers might admire the view, but they are more interested in connecting with your characters and engaging with the plot. 
l  Build descriptions around your characters. Rather than going on about the waves at the beach, let your protagonist stand in the surf and watch them roll in. This provides immediacy and avoids stalling the story on descriptions. 
l  Employ the senses but not as a litany. It’s not necessary to use all five, only the ones your viewpoint character would notice.
l  Use detail to sharpen the imagery. Use ‘oaks’ instead of ‘trees.’ Move closer. Show branches etched against the sky and shadows weaving on a mossy bank. 
l  Don’t overwhelm with extraneous details, however. Give enough to paint the scene with light strokes and allow readers to imagine the rest. Let them make the story their own, and they will praise you for it.   

What relationships are important to you as an author and/or as a reader? 

***
Missy here. Let's chat about relationships! And let us know if you'd like to be entered in the giveaway. Mountain Brook Ink would like to give away a print copy to one winner (U.S. only please) from one of these featured titles: Winner's choice between Finding Love in Sun Valley Idaho, The Sleuth's Miscalculation, Porch Swing Girl, or Hills of Nevermore.

****

Award winning author, Kimberly Rose Johnson, married her college sweetheart and lives in the Pacific Northwest. From a young child Kimberly has been an avid reader. That love of reading fostered a creative mind and led to her passion for writing. She especially loves romance and writes contemporary romance that warms the heart and feeds the soul. You can learn more about Kimberly at kimberlyrjohnson.com.

Angela Ruth Strong was first published by a national magazine while still in high school. She has won both Idaho Top Author and the Cascade Award for her novels, and she is the founder of IDAhope Writers. Besides writing, she teaches group fitness classes, travels with her kids on youth group mission trips, and often gets herself into silly situations like hamster ball races or riding on the shoulders of a unicyclist. You can learn more about Angela at angelaruthstrong.com.

Linda Thompson stepped away from a marketing career that spanned continents to write what she loves—stories of unstoppable faith. Her debut novel, The Plum Blooms in Winter, launches December 1. She lives in the sun-drenched Arizona desert with her husband, a third-generation airline pilot who doubles as her Chief Military Research Officer, two mostly-grown-up kids, and a small platoon of housecats. You can learn more about Linda at lthompsonbooks.com.

Taylor Bennett is an assistant editor for Magnum Opus Magazine. She has published several pieces of fiction and nonfiction in Magnum Opus Magazine and her novel, Porch Swing Girl, was a semi-finalist in the Go Teen Writers “We Write Books” contest. Taylor is a member of ACFW and OCW and she is active on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram. You can learn more about Taylor at taylor--bennett.com.

Janalyn Voigt is a multi-genre novelist who has books available in the western historical romance and epic fantasy genres. Her unique blend of adventure, romance, suspense, and whimsy creates worlds of beauty and danger for readers. Janalyn is represented by Wordserve Literary and holds memberships in ACFW and Northwest Christian Writers Association. You can learn more about Janalyn at janalynvoigt.com.




108 comments:

  1. Welcome, ladies! We're so glad to have you join us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I’m excited to be here.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Missy. We're thrilled to be here! I'm not really a night owl. I was up late writing and thought I'd pop in to say hello.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was up late, too! Although, I usually am a night owl. But I was up later than usual. Feeling tired today!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I'm sorry. I hope you find a chance to rest today. I slept in a little (for me). I have a friend who burns the candle on both ends in order to write, but I can't do it. Side note: I wasn't really up until 2:55 AM. I think it was more like midnight here. :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for having us! I was so excited to be here I couldn't sleep. It's 2:50 in the morning in Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly, I hope you got to sleep in this morning! We're excited to have you!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I went back to sleep. :)

      Delete
    3. Goodness, I’m an early bird surrounded by night owls! I was up at 5:00AM today...

      Delete
  4. Thanks for all these pointers. I have been wondering what bookstagram is. I do Instagram but only to help promote books like everything I receive a copy of a book in the mail but almost cancelled my instagram account when I had all these men following me and trying to contact me. I had an author tell me how to block them so will continue using Instagram.

    I do find the more I get into writing I just don't have time to do a facebook author party every day or even once a week. I am trying to learn a balance.

    I would love to entered for a copy of one of the books.

    I was reading last night in Mom's last journal before she passed away and found some things that I hope to type up and include in a book I want to write for my family titled Our Godly Heritage. Some of what I found were memories from Mom and Dad's childhood and memories from Dad's early pastorate in the Appalachian mountains in the 1950's perhaps as I get into this there will also be things I can add into my fiction stories. I want to get a hold of all the rest of Mom's journals and we need to find the novel mom wrote but was never able to find a publisher. She wrote it in the days before they had a computer. I've never read it. I have feeling it is in a box somewhere that when we go through their house to prepare to sell we'll find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilani, I wasn't familiar with bookstagram either. I was glad to learn about it!

      How wonderful that you have your mother's journal! I hope you find all her other writings. I think that'll be a great resource for your own writing (as well as a wonderful memento).

      Delete
    2. So glad I got to introduce you two ladies to bookstagram!! And how lovely about your mother’s journal. I know I treasure my grandma’s old diary.

      Delete
    3. My mom only tried one publisher and then gave up after that rejection. The thought in the back of my mind has always been that as I grow as a writer and eventually get published, then maybe I might have an inroad to see if I can publish her book for her even though she is already with the Lord.

      Delete
    4. Wilani, don't laugh, but the first thing that grabbed my eye (and is completely off-topic!), is how do you block those people who follow you "to see if they can be friends?" I'd love to know the secret. :)

      And, I love that your mom wrote a book too. i hope you one day find it and enjoy seeing/hearing her words and voice.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for having us! It's fun to share this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning, Seekers! Thank you for the wonderful post.

    Please enter me in the drawing.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun to have you all at Seekerville! Thanks for the fantastic tips, especially about setting. I don't think I use it enough and you gave some great ways to think about setting before you've even started a story. And I'd love to be put in the drawing! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, I agree. There were some great tips on setting. I think working for the airline is a great way to see the world! My neighbor was a flight attendant and got to do so much! It was especially nice when her son went off to college up north. She could visit him for free. :)

      Delete
    2. You're welcome, Glynis. Let me know if you think of other questions on setting. I once made an admittedly amateurish video on showing not telling that applies to painting a scene. If you'd like further tips, it's here: http://livewritebreathe.com/show-not-tell-fiction-writing/

      Delete
    3. Hi Glynis! Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  8. Hi, Glynis. Thanks for stopping in! It's amazing how setting sets the stage for a story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Ladies! Thanks for joining us today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly Rose JohnsonAugust 29, 2018 at 9:55 AM

      Hi Beth, it's a pleasure to be here today!

      Delete
    2. Hi Beth! It’s nice to “meet” you :)

      Delete
  10. Its really nice to have you come here to share ! I really like everyones ideas on how to form relationships and how most of us do that. I personally like to see characters interacting in the start of a book !
    Linda Marie Finn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly Rose JohnsonAugust 29, 2018 at 10:39 AM

      Hi, Linda. It's great to see you here. :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Hi, Linda! That's a great tip. My favorite craft book on openings is Les Edgerton's "Hooked." I heard this at a workshop a few days ago: "Novels aren't about what happens. They're about what goes wrong." I realized I'm always fighting the tendency to write "what happens," and maybe that's especially true when the novel starts--I need to make sure it starts where the trouble starts.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for stopping by, Linda!

      Linda, that's a great way to look at a novel! I should print it and stick it on my computer. It's a great way to make sure our characters are acting and not just reacting.

      Delete
    5. Thanks for mentioning that advice, Linda. Funny how a simple shift in attitude can make a world of difference.

      Delete
    6. Oooh...that’s such a fantastic tidbit, Linda! I love it, and it’s something I really should remember more often...

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh wow Angela Ruth Strong i love love love how u venture out to tbese wonderful places to get a true feel and mood for that particular place!!!! and great that you and the family get to make memories while doing so! A massive deciding factor on whether or not i invest in a particular author is based on if they do actual location research, thats wat makes your books sooo much more exciting, because i know these places exist x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela M., we're glad you dropped by!

      Delete
    2. I agree, Angela and Angela. :) There's no substitute for your own impressions, and taking your family along makes research fun.

      Delete
    3. Hooray for research trips!! (Especially when you write books that take place in Hawaii...*winks*)

      Delete
    4. Yes, I need to set a book in Hawaii, too. And maybe London...

      Delete
  13. Good morning, Missy and Seekers! I just wanted to say "thank you" for the opportunity to be here. Such a privilege!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, we're so glad y'all are here. Such great posts!

      Delete
    2. Hi Linda! I love hanging out with my publishing siblings ;)

      Delete
  14. Good morning, Seekerville friends and Mountain Book Ink siblings! *waves* So fun "seeing" you here today. It's always interesting to learn about everyone's perspective regarding relationships, whether it be reader or writing related. Loved your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for all the great information, ladies. Thanks for hosting our Mountain Brook authors today, too. I'm proud to be part of such a great collection of writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Patricia! I'm grateful to be included today. Like you, I love being part of Mountain Brook Ink.

      Delete
    2. Hi Pat! Good to "see" you again...I hope you're nicely rested up from the conference.

      Delete
    3. Patricia, we're glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  16. Welcome to Seekerville, ladies. It's great to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi everyone! I'm so thrilled and honored to be here today :) Thank you all for the opportunity to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taylor, thanks for taking part in the blog! We really appreciated each bit of advice!

      Delete
  18. How fun to get a glimpse into the writing habits, along with shared tips, from an assortment of authors. Thanks, all, for being with us today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Debby! It was great to hear from each of them.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Debbie. I enjoyed reading the advice from my fellow authors.

      Delete
  19. This was such a fun post to read! Tips from four great authors full of wisdom. Thanks for sharing that. I especially loved the ideas for bringing about an epiphany organically. I envisioned my characters' epiphanies in my current WIP and began pondering how I can make them stronger.

    Thanks, ladies, for sharing your insights here today!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I got something from each one that I can apply to my own writing. I'm new to the Mountain Brook Ink family, and proud to be part of this amazing group of authors. I'm in Canada so don't put me in the draw, just wanted to drop in and say hi :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sara! I love that you were able to get something from each post. Are you in the part of Canada with all the fire and smoke?

      Delete
    2. Congratulations on the new sale, Sara!

      Delete
    3. Me too, Sara. I gleaned something from each of my fellow Mountain Brook Ink authors. We need one another.

      Delete
  21. This is like a mini-writing-conference in a blog post! Well done, and thanks for hanging with us in Seekerville!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly Rose JohnsonAugust 29, 2018 at 4:08 PM

      What a fun way to think about this post! I'm glad you got so much out of it, Erica!

      Delete
    2. I like your enthusiasm, Erica. Visiting Seekerville is fun.

      Delete
    3. It's been a while since I got to hang out with you, Erica. Always a treat!

      Delete
    4. Thank YOU for the super-encouraging comment, Erica! God bless!

      Delete
  22. Hi Seekers! I'm the publisher at Mountain Brook Ink. I'm so very proud of all my 'kids' and thrilled they were invited to take part in this awesome blog. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miralee, we're glad to have them! Nikki was great to work with on the getting the post together.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, Miralee, for everything you do to make this publishing journey a smooth one!

      Delete
  23. What a fantastic post!Thank you ladies for sharing your experiences on setting, characters,etc. I especially appreciate Taylor Bennett's post on platform! I'll be checking out #bookstagram! Please enter me in the drawing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Edwina! I'm absolutely thrilled the post blessed you. Thanks for the encouraging comment!

      Delete
    2. Edwina, I'm glad you dropped by! And glad you found it helpful.

      Delete
  24. Wow! I just went to find #bookstagram on Instagram and found there are over 23 million posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you, Ladies, for the insights and tips. Such an exciting life Angela leads. I can relate to Taylor's earlier experiences with social media. Love what she wrote on author platform. Will look into #bookstagram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm one of those people who wants to do it all, and as I writer, I can! :-)

      Delete
    2. Pat, I'm with you on checking out #bookstagram more. I'm more of a lurker on Instagram. I need to try it out and get more active there.

      Delete
  26. Also, if anybody is interested, I have a free book today! The Princess and the P.I. is what I like to call a light-hearted, romantic suspense. https://www.amazon.com/Princess-P-I-Angela-Ruth-Strong-ebook/dp/B075H18CHC/ref=zg_bs_6190474011_f_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FX4VSMNCYH1ABZCKC06P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela! I just picked it up :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting us know, Angela! I actually already have it. :) It's in my TBR pile. I LOVE that cover! I can't wait to read it.

      Delete
    3. Oh, goody. Hope you enjoy it! I had a lot of fun writing it.

      Delete
  27. I'm late checking into Seekerville today, but this was a great post. Thank you to all the authors for sharing your tips.

    Please enter me in the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sandy! Thanks so much for stopping by, and I'm sure we're all thrilled you found the post useful. Blessings!!

      Delete
    2. You're never too late, Sandy. I'm glad you found our musings helpful.

      Delete
  28. This post is now in my "favorites." Thank you! I'll be referring to it often.
    Please do enter me in the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Linda! Thank you so much for the kind words. I think my publishing siblings are pretty brilliant, too! <3

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you found it helpful, Linda S.!

      Delete
  29. I live small town cozies. I would love to win The Sleuth’s Miscalculation. Thanks for an informative post! paulams49ATsbcglobalDOTnet

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for the interesting post. I love settings of different stories.
    Please enter me in the drawing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks so much for the encouraging comment. Blessings!

      Delete
    2. We're glad you stopped by, Mindy!

      Delete
  31. Welcome to Seekerville!

    This was a great post and I enjoyed reading it. I think I will re-read it before writing my next story, too.

    Please enter me in the drawing! My choice would be " The Sleuth’s Miscalculation" but all the books like great.

    May God bless you and all of Seekerville!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Excellent post! Felt like I was back in my Studies in Fiction class in college. :)
    And I think if relationships aren't well defined and identified, and also organic (if they don't grow because the characters don't grow), then they're not credible and thus not worth the reader's time or effort (nor the author's, I would add). And then never mind the setting or plot; neither can salvage shallow, implausible, or unconvincing characters. My two cents. :D
    I would love to be entered in the giveaway! (I have Hills of Nevermore... loved it!)

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."