Friday, October 5, 2018

Falling For You

by Guest Lindi Peterson

Hello Seekerville! It’s great to be back. Thank you for having me guest host today. It’s always a special time in Seekerville, for sure.
Today we are talking about love.
Yes, love.
It’s what romance writing is all about and it’s what makes the world go ‘round. Right?
Love is an action, not an emotion. I once heard in a church I was attending that people don’t “fall in love.” Drat! That shook my romance writer’s mind. But as I kept listening the pastor’s words made sense. Love is an action.
You do it. 
Which is why you can’t have a romance where the only goal is to fall in love and get married. 
So what is it that makes our characters fall? If they don’t fall in love what do they fall into?
Let’s explore some ways our characters fall for each other.

Excerpt from One Winter Kiss-Lindi Peterson
He kissed the top of her hand. “Thank you. Thank you for trusting me with who you are.”
She kissed the top of his hand. “Thank you for being someone I can trust. I’ve never met anyone like you.”
“We need each other, don’t we?”
“I think so,” Deena whispered.
He leaned over, his kiss gentle, caring.
Loving, kind.
Everything Andrew was touched her lips.



In looking for passages to use, I found this one. And wow, God directed me to the right passage. We have a plethora of reasons Deena “fell” for Andrew.
First he was TRUSTWORTHY. That is a quality to fall for. If you can’t trust someone, you certainly can’t give your love to them. Without trust there would be suspicion and doubt. There would be questions that might be unnecessary. 
2 Corinthians 3:4 And we have such trust through Christ toward God. NKJV
We place our ultimate trust in Christ.
Deena also fell for his GENTLENESS. The passage starts out describing his kiss, but ends with all those adjectives describing Andrew himself. And Andrew is a gentleman. He proved that to her many ways, starting at the beginning of the book.
He held out a Devon Park Raiders hoodie. A lined, thick hoodie. Black and silver, The Devon Park High School colors.
“Thank you. I think I will. Especially since I don’t know how long Grandpa will be.” She took the hoodie from him and quickly put it on.
This excerpt is from Chapter One, right at the beginning when Deena was stranded outside her grandpa’s house. Right away Andrew displayed what a gentleman he was. And yes, I still like a man to open the door for me, to pull out a chair before I sit down. 
Psalm 18:35 You have also given me the shield of Your salvation: Your right hand has held me up, Your gentleness has made me great.NKJV
CARING is another quality one can “fall” for.
“You’ll need these gloves. Evan doesn’t tire easily. And he’s ready for a fight.” Andrew handed Deena a pair of gloves perfect for snowball making. Well, that might be taking things a bit far, but they were designed to keep the wet out and the hands warm.
Here Andrew shows how caring he is offering Deena the proper gloves to wear in a snowball fight. If you are wondering why Deena is so ill-equipped for cold weather, she has just arrived in Ohio from Florida. She wasn’t prepared to be hanging out outside so much, as she was there to help her grandfather pack his house to move. Oh, and she was trying to stop the moving process as well. Andrew is his next door neighbor who has a son named Evan. Deena also saw throughout the story how Andrew cared for his son. That showed a huge part of who Andrew was and something Deena couldn’t help but be drawn to.
1 Peter 5:6-7 Thereforehumble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. NKJV
When we know God cares about us, we can see how caring for others is important.
And how about KINDNESS? Don’t we love meeting people who are kind? 
“I insist on taking you. Besides, I’ll help Harold get his truck out of the ditch.”
That sentence is kindness and helpfulness all in one. (Andrew is quite a guy, isn’t he?) But again, these are the types of things people do that attract other people to them. Harold is Deena’s grandpa, so Andrew, offering to help pull the truck out of a ditch after a snowstorm displays his kindness front and center.
Psalm 119:76 Let, I pray, Your merciful kindness be for my comfort, according to Your word to Your servant.NKJV
Kindness is a great attribute. When someone is truly kind, you know their heart is in the right place. Someone’s day can be made just by having someone be kind to them. And kindness is an act we can show to those we don’t even know. We don’t have to be best friends to show someone kindness. 


We can see by the above excerpts that love comes from knowing who someone is. It’s the attributes they have that bind our soul to theirs. It’s how their heart works and how they show that heart to the world that attracts us to someone.
This is how we show growth in our romance novels. You can be attracted to someone for just the way they look, that is true. But that doesn’t carry a relationship. That person’s way of living, and treating others soon comes to light. I do believe that the books we like the best show this growth and growing attraction to our hero’s and heroine’s character.
I do love the saying “falling in love.” It sounds so much better than “falling in trust,” “falling in kindness.” There’s something universal about the word love. Whether it’s in a good or bad way, love is something everyone can relate to. It’s why we write about it, it’s why we read about it. It’s why God sent his son.
He loves us.
I’d love to talk about other attributes people “fall” for. I’ve only named a few, but I know you have some you’d like to mention. I’ve got 2 giveaways today to 2 separate commenters. First I’m giving away an e-copy of my novella, Sweet Love of Mine. It’s the story of Eden and Grant. I’m also giving away a copy of a brand new release, A Christmas to Remember.


This is a boxed set of 8 never before released Christmas novellas. I was thrilled to do this set with the ladies on the Inspy Romance Blog. This is the 2ndnovella in my Sweetly Southern Series. Sweet Love of Mine is the 1stnovella in that series.
Thank you for having me here in Seekerville. It’s always a pleasure and an honor to be a guest! Let’s talk “falling!”

Visit Lindi at www.lindipeterson.com





31 comments:

  1. Hi Lindi:

    I believe that love is a state of being which can be manifested in many ways: through actions, through feelings, through thoughts, through faith.

    A young person might ask:

    "How do I know if I'm in love?"

    Is this love really that I feel?
    Is it just lust?
    Is it puppy love?
    Is it self-deception or wishful thinking?
    Am I in love with the idea of being in love and not in love with the beloved?
    Can I really know I'm in love if that love is never tested?
    Must there be a dark moment to establish my love?

    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13-17 King James Version (KJV)

    How great must a love be to be called love?

    "He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love." 1 John 4:8

    If God is love, then perhaps human love is a manifestation of God's love within us...a sharing of the Divine.

    What of the four kinds of love that C. S. Lewis wrote about?

    Whatever love is, it's not simple.

    But I do love reading about it. I just wish there were more acts of romance in romance novels.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vince, those are some great thoughts. I love to think it's a manifestation of God's love within us.

      Delete
  2. Vince--Hello!! I love your statement--"I just wish there were more acts of romance in romance novels." As an author that's something to think about while writing. And yes, love is NOT simple. Thanks for the verses and the input. Do you remember that song, Puppy Love? Ha!! That's one for the books, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LINDI!!!!!! I've missed you, girl!

    I love this post You are so right that love is an action. Anyone can say that they love you, but how many people actually show you they love you? And that's what romance is all about. As I always say, God is the author of romance and He's been wooing His people for thousands of years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy--so true!! God IS the author of romance. The more I hear that word, romance, I want to keep writing!

      Delete
  4. Lindi, we're so glad to have you with us today! I love this post! I especially love your connection to romance novels. I really enjoy when I read a story where the hero has truly shown how much he cares for the heroine (even if he hasn't yet acknowledged that he loves her). Such a great reminder to include these acts of love as our stories progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy---Thanks! You write such great romance stories! :) Have fun at the conference. I hate missing it this year.

      Delete
  5. BTW, I'm heading to the Moonlight & Magnolias conference this morning! So I won't be here as often as usual when I'm hosting a guest. I'll be blessed to hang out with Debby Giusti, Myra Johnson and other wonderful writers! I'll check in when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindi, I like the phrase "Grow into love." Because even in a novella, when things have to move fast, there's an element of growth. This is one reason (one of the many) why I'm not attracted to shows like "The Bachelor," "The Bachelorette," or "90 Day Fiance." It's so shallow.
    In the Christmas contemporary romance I'm shopping around, Jane initially finds Noah offensive, in part because of his big, loud personality and, more importantly, because he's a pastor and she's no longer living for the Lord. But her walls begin to dissolve when she sees how he cares for other people, from two abused boys to a parishioner dying of cancer, and her resistance melts like, well, New England snow in March. Even more important, she sees God in Noah and it's one of the things that impels her to Come Home to Him. Yes, they're both attractive, this is a romance, but they both know looks can't carry a relationship.
    Stuff to do, back later I hope.
    Kaybee, or "The Artist Formerly Known As Kathy Bailey"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kaybee. Your novel sounds great. :) And yes, growing into love is a process. My daughter got married very quickly after meeting the guy, but I wasn't worried because I saw the connection there in so many ways.

      Delete
    2. Kathy, your story sounds wonderful!

      Delete
  7. Yes to this! We need to show in our books that live isn't the mushy stuff, but the stick it out through the gritty stuff. Marriages need to be built on much more than feelings of they're going to survive and thrive. Although the mushy stuff is fun, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy---SO TRUE!! I know I've been guilty of the "feelings" version of love. Reading Stormie OMartian's book The Power of a Praying Wife showed me so much about loving my husband in a Godly manner.

      Delete
  8. Hi Lindi. I enjoyed this post and the Bible scripture used to support your theories. I believe that people fall into like or fall into attraction but a lasting relationship is obtained through into love and hanging onto love. I knew of my husband for two years as an older classmate before the night that I suddenly saw him as more. That night I was attracted and as we dated I felt so much more. I liked his looks, his sense of humor and the respect that he gave me and other young women. Over the years I have seen so many more qualities that have helped us in our marriage. Yes, I do love to read that someone fell into love because of the romance that is implied but they stayed in love is the ultimate goal.
    I enjoyed that you came to Seekerville!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Seekerville is always so welcoming. :) I also think as a writer I need to keep this concept in my mind as I write. If at the end of the story I don't see "WHAT" my hero and heroine have fallen into, the story isn't complete.

      Delete
    2. Connie, your husband sounds like a wonderful man!

      Delete
  9. Sorry, digging was omitted from my statement digging into love and hanging onto love in my second sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning, Seekerville.

    Lindi, you bring up a lot of good points. One thing I struggle with in my stories is emotion. Better yet, lack of emotion. Being careful not to have them "fall" in love at the beginning of the book, I hold back too long. Like more acts of romance shouldn't be there until the epilogue.

    Thank you for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, romantic pacing is so difficult. Especially if you have a shorter book. It's hard to show a realistic, gradual falling in love.

      Delete
  11. Connie---:) This is a constant reminder for me. I'm like you--Love at First Sight!! Then the bad stuff--then LOVE!! Ha---I think you know what I mean. It's a balance for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Lindi. That sounds like one of my first drafts. :) Then we have to go back and fill in the in-betweens. :)

      Delete
  12. Beautiful covers sounds like great reads!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Lindi. I'm really late getting here today but I enjoyed it. Please enter me in the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, we're glad you were able to get here!

      Delete
    2. Hi Sandy--thank you. And I will! I'm glad you got to stop by.

      Delete
  14. Lindi,
    Sorry I'm so late but I thoroughly enjoyed your post. Please enter me in the drawing!

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."