Friday, August 2, 2019

Recapping RWA19 With a Little Help From Some Friends


If you ask most anyone what they like best about conference, the first thing that comes out is usually seeing old friends and making new ones. So for today's recap, I thought I'd ask some friends - old and new - for a little help.

The question was simple: What was your favorite part of being at RWA19?

Here are the answers in no particular order:

Starting with Seekerville's own 
Debby Giusti:

The National RWA Conference is always exciting and especially so when it’s held in New York City. My daughter traveled with me, and we enjoyed returning to favorite spots that we’ve visited on previous trips to the city. We saw two Broadway shows, found delightful restaurants that catered to our love of all things Italian and mixed and mingled with New Yorkers as we took in the Avenue of the Americas’ Street Market, strolled through Bryant Park and soaked up the ambiance of the amazing New York Public Library. Other fun moments included people watching in Times Square, sipping a cool drink in Rockefeller Center and catching portions of live television shows at NBC and FOX.

When I wasn’t doing tourist things, I took part in the many informative programs hosted by Love Inspired and Harlequin as well as a number of RWA workshops. In addition to the educational aspects of the conference, I always enjoy being surrounded by other folks who love writing and reading. We’re kindred spirits, truly. Reconnecting with old friends provides treasured moments grabbed in the hallways or while riding the glass elevators. We quickly catch up on the past year and promise to stay in touch via email and social media in the days ahead. Making new friends throughout the conference and meeting new readers at the Literacy Autographing are added blessings. Each year after the RWA Conference, I return home tired but happy and ready to start writing again. The 2020 RWA Conference will be held in San Francisco. I plan to attend. Hope to see you there!

Debby sent me so many wonderful photos.


























Villager 
Tanya Agler had this to say:

Do you remember the Lay’s Potato Chips advertising slogan? No one can eat just one. That sentence describes my RWA2019 Conference. Whenever I was convinced I’d narrowed down my conference experience to a favorite moment, something else popped up, and I came to the conclusion this year’s conference was a special confluence of shared moments.
First, I loved spending time with other authors. Meeting my fellow Harlequin Heartwarming authors, making new author friends, and becoming reacquainted with so many authors I’ve met at other conferences helps me appreciate the support we give one another throughout the year. Then, I learned so much from talking to my editor. And finally, the educational opportunities in the craft and on marketing will hopefully go a long way in improving my works in progress.
So unlike other conferences where I can pinpoint one specific moment, this year I’m thankful for the five days I spent laughing and learning with other writers. 

Tanya's new book from Harlequin Heartwarming, The Sheriff's Second Chance is being released in January 2020 and is up for preorder on Amazon.

We have two RITA finalists here to answer the question. I can imagine what the highlight of their conference must have been.

Lenora Worth has this to say:
"My favorite part was being back in NY as a RITA finalist and it was amazing. Although I didn’t win the RITA, I will never forget that experience. It was a highlight of my career!"

Susie Dietze replied:

"My favorite part of the conference was the people! I loved seeing old friends as well as meeting new ones--which I did at the RITA/GH reception, at a workshop, and at the Harlequin party, which was an absolute blast. My main regret was not having more time to get to know some ladies better! Inspy authors are some of the most welcoming, generous, wonderful people in the world, and I'm grateful for opportunities to be around them."

I had the chance to meet up with a longtime friend, Sandra Belle Calhoune, whose Love Inspired Book, An Alaskan Christmas, is being made into a movie by Brain Power Studios. That made Sandy's conference extra special."

"My favorite part of RWA this year was attending a dinner hosted by Brain Power Studios. It was a celebration of all the Harlequin authors who have or will have movies made by the studio. They allowed us to have a plus one and I invited my daughter. Being able to share my writing world with her was fabulous. And having her celebrate this night with me made an unforgettable memory for the two of us."

I had the wonderful chance to meet two LIS friends who I've never met in person before.

Sharee Stover and I share the same editor. This was Sharee's response:
"This year I attended my second RWA conference, and it was my first time visiting New York City. For an introvert like me, conferences can be overwhelming by themselves. So, the mixture was a wild ride. By far, one of the best things about going to any writers’ event is meeting new friends and catching up with old ones. I got the chance to do both, and I am continually grateful for the incredible writing community I am privileged to be a part of. I am also a member of several RWA chapters and this year, the romantic suspense chapter, Kiss of Death, did an entire day with the FBI. It was outstanding! We spent the day learning from FBI agents in the counter-terrorism, bomb, violent crimes, and CJIS units. My pen was sparking flames from my rapid note taking. Hopefully, some of that great information will find its way back into a story in the near future." 


Christa Sinclair is another friend I'd only known online before. Let Christa share her experiences.
The RWA Conference was amazing! I was so lucky to see so many friends I haven’t seen in a while, dance the nights away, and attend some awesome workshops. But there were two things that made this year’s conference special for me. One was meeting my editor for the first time. She’s been working with me on and off for so long as I worked my way up to my 1st book contract (& now as I work on book 2). It was wonderful and it immediately felt like we were old friends. The other special part of conference was meeting in person so many friends I’ve made online in the last two years. To be able to match a living, breathing human with the picture of their online persona was invaluable. Now I feel even more connected.


Dana R. Lynn also writes for LIS. Dana and I met when we were both published through the LIS Killer Voices contest, and we've been friends ever since.

Dana says: "I love seeing friends from all over the country and meeting new people. Whether it was seeing other authors who wrote Amish romance at a special lunch, dancing together at the Harlequin party or getting together to so writing sprints and talking half the time, it was all part of the adventure. Although, I do have to say the adventure started with an eight hour train ride with my friend Lee Tobin McClain. That was a blast."

Dana was kind enough to also share some of her photos from RWA.

Harlequin Book Signing

Amish Authors Lunch

The Famous Harlequin Dance Party

Dana and Lee on the train - for 8 hours!


Another dear friend I made the last time RWA was in NYC is Alison Stone. Even though we hadn't seen each other in 4 years, we picked up the conversation as if it had been last week.
Alison has this to say:

“The best part of the RWA conference was reconnecting in person with my writer friends. No one “gets” writers better than other writers. I also appreciated the opportunity to meet with my editor to learn what’s new in this ever-changing industry. I arrived home with fresh story ideas and renewed energy to write.”


As for me, spending time with all these wonderful ladies and my amazing editor, Emily Rodmell, made the whole conference an experience to cherish.


To help you all feel a part of the celebration, we've got lots of books to give away today. We're offering:
(Note: some books are only available as eBooks, so please let us know if you can't read them.)


                          
















42 comments:

  1. Cate, that looks like SO much fun. I love conferences and would go to one a month if I could afford it, financial AND time-wise. I enjoy the classes, the fellowship, the worship and being a part of something bigger. Last year was my first ACFW conference and I still take out the memories and thumb through them. And what floats to the top is not my contest win, not the swag, not seeing Nashville, but the friendships I made or enhanced during those three days. Looking forward to San Antonio.
    This is a catch-up day for me and I am in the home office, so will probably check in again.
    Kathy Bailey
    Juggling plates in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Kathy. I've never made it to ACFW, but I really want to. I've probably mentioned this before, but my problem with ACFW is timing. It's always in September right after we go back to school and I can't take the time off.

      My conference experiences have changed so much over the years. When I first would go and didn't know anyone, I went to all the classes and appointments. Once I sold to Harlequin, that changed because my publisher events alone took up so much time, but by then I had friends to meet up with. Now I buy the audio recordings and try to make workshops that haven't been taped.

      Happy catch-up day. See you later.

      Delete
    2. Kathy, I look forward to seeing you at ACFW!

      Delete
  2. Cate, what a fun post!! I really enjoyed hearing from everyone. I've always loved the RWA conference and wish I could have been there this year. So great to see photos of many good friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you were too, MIssy, but I'll be saying this in reverse when you're at ACFW. You'll have to give everyone there a hug for me.

      Delete
  3. It was fantastic to go to NYC and meet up with so many of my friends! Let's see, last week at this time I was...I can't remember specifically, but I know it wasn't laundry. As the musical chime goes off on my washer, I'm reminded of how quickly I had to return to my normal routine. :) ha ha

    Until next time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha
      Last week at this time, I was sitting in a workshop (one of the few I went to) given by Teri Wilson and Nancy Naigle about writing RomCom. If anyone is looking for a takeaway, I heard from a lot of people/panels that everyone is looking for feel good books. With everything going on in the world, that's what readers are looking for - books and movies to make them feel good.

      Delete
  4. Cate, I'm reliving the conference through your delightful post! It was a great week and seeing friends made it so, so special!

    I'm having a hard time getting back into writer mode. Anyone else having that problem? Actually I'm catching my breath and mentally figuring out my next story, which takes time and often means I appear to not be working. But my mind is throwing all sorts of ideas my way. I just need to decide on the ones that can mesh together into a story.

    Happy Friday, everyone! Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having the opposite reaction. I've been on fire writing since I got back. But I have school looming in a month! You also did WAY more than I did last week. I think I'd need a month to recover from everything you and Mary did.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucy. Introverted me is always a little wary going in, but it was a good time with lots of good work connections.

      Delete
  6. Oh, this is like peeking in the window at Christmas! The Little Match Girl, dreaming of the family setting and the warm fire. Thank you, ladies! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of afraid it would seem that way, Ruthy. I hope people just get a chance to demystify the big bad conference. Cause sometimes it can seem that way, but it doesn't have to be.

      Delete
  7. It looks like you all had a wonderful time! I've always wanted to visit the MET and the Natural History Museum in NYC, but...it's so very people-y there! Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People-y is a good word for it, Erica. Actually, the conference in NYC is my least favorite location (except for not having to travel) because I hate the crowds. Since I was coming home each night, I mapped the path of least crowdedness between the hotel and the subway and walked fast! I've found with the MET and T Museum of Natural History, if you go when they first open, you can miss the bulk of the crowd.

      I have to give props to the RWA attendees (*cough Debby cough*) who actually ventured out to visit the city.

      Delete
  8. This weekend I’m at an “Keeping Up with the Amish” authors/readers conference in Shipshewana. It’s been fun. Smaller venue, lots of time to visit with the authors and doing some special Amish related events. One of these days I’ll go to a bigger conference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, I so wanted to go the KUWTA event, but because of the RWA Conference and writing needs, I couldn't do both. Enjoy every minute! I'm with you in spirit! :)

      Delete
  9. Ooh, I would have liked to have tagged along with Sharee Stover...learning from the FBI?! How neat!

    Thanks for these fun glimpses of the conference. Gives me a good idea of what to expect when I'm able to go to one myself.

    BTW, I don't really use e-readers, so you can leave me out of the drawing. :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha, not all the books are digital. I'll be sending a "REAL" book! :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, Samantha. What Debby said. I only mentioned the ebooks because apparently for some of the books, that's all that is left.

      Delete
    3. Oops, yes, I just meant the ebook versions. Thanks! :0)

      Delete
  10. What an adventure. I probably should have gone but, like Sharee, I find conferences overwhelming, then add in New York City. I've done it twice and I just couldn't face it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember fun times with you the last time we were in NYC, but I understand. I wouldn't want to go if I didn't live here. I hear they are never going back to that hotel again too.

      Delete
  11. So many wonderful books and exciting adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sheer volume of books is stunning! I remember helping set up the literacy signing one year. There were WALLS of boxes of books to unpack.

      Delete
  12. Dear Cate, Thank you so much for including me in this look back on a wonderful conference. I had so much fun getting to meet so many wonderful authors for the first time. Even now, sitting here, I'm reliving some wonderful moments. For those thinking of attending a writer's conference, you can either start at a smaller writing conference (check your local ACFW or RWA chapter or online groups) or start big at ACFW or RWA. The friendships, the workshops, and the memories have helped me so often. And it was at RWA2013 that my critique partner attended a workshop led by several of the original Seekers and my CP then told me all about that workshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanya, I remember that RWA workshop! I think I didn't meet you until the next year in San Antonio though.

      Delete
  13. Apparently people are having trouble getting comments to go through, so we will extend the prize drawing through the weekend (and maybe into next week).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’ve dreamed of going to a conference and actually meeting some of my favorite authors. Maybe someday I’ll be able to do so. 🤞🏻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a wonderful dream, Gail. Maybe the revamped Christian Fiction Readers Retreat that is going to link up with ACFW in 2020 (I think) would fulfill it.

      Delete
  15. Thanks Cate for sharing this post. Sounds like it is worth pinching the pennies for a future conference. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was actually a workshop on how to do RWA on a shoestring. I'll keep an eye out for the recording and see if there are any tips to share.

      Delete
  16. That looks like a really fun conference to attend! I've never attended a book conference before, but it is definitely something I would love to do in the future. It would be awesome to go see some of my favorite authors and meet new authors to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, if there is ever a conference near you, they almost always have huge book signings that are open to the public, so you can get that part without having to pay to attend the conference.



      Delete
  17. The very first RWA conference I ever attended was in NYC and it was so amazing. I'm really sad that I couldn't go this year, but alas, 5 year olds needed me more...sigh. I always love hanging out with my favorite authors. Y'all truly are the most wonderful, welcoming group of ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, LeAnne. I'm sorry you couldn't come this year. Hope we can meet up at some future conference.

      Delete
  18. I loved reading all the authors Facebook updates while there. It helped me be there virtually. It looked like such a great conference. So many talented writers converging in NYC! I usually don't read e books.
    marypopmom (at) yahoo (dot) com
    Maryann


    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my. How wonderful. We get to live some of it through all you lovely ladies. This sounds like you had a fabulous time. What a wonderful time to spend with friends. Thanks for sharing. quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  20. Delightful post! This was my first big conference...and first romance conference and first time to New York! I was thrilled. And overwhelmed. Happy to get to meet and hug some of my very favorite authors...Debby Giusti, Tanya Agler, Lenora Worth, and Dana R. Lynn. I met a few new authors too. Excited to read their books. I wasn't able to catch up with some I wanted to meet, but we were all quite busy!!

    The most enlightening aspect of the conference for me was the Literacy signing. "At the 'Readers for Life' Literacy Autographing, hundreds of romance authors meet with and sign books for fans in this two-hour event, with the proceeds from book sales going to literacy organizations. " (RWA web page) Some fans waited two hours to visit "their authors." When I visited with these readers they told me how much they loved "their authors" and how much they looked forward to their next book. They knew all about "their authors."

    Honestly, I was blown away learning the impact authors have in people's lives. The Lord has entrusted us with such an enormous responsibility. I am still processing this experience.

    Thanks again, Cate, for bringing us these wonderful highlights and delicious memories.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would have loved to attend a conference, although I am a reader, not a writer.
    Those suspense books look really good. I have Susie Dietze’s book. I usually go for historical books.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for including me in the post, Cate. RWA was so much fun. Meeting up with author friends is such a rejuvenating experience. Of course, NYC can be a whirlwind, but for authors, attending RWA can be such a refreshing experience. There's no other tribe quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am just catching up on my blog reading, but I always enjoy the pictures from the conferences. I feel like I am there and "know" all the authors that much better. It looks like so much fun too! Love seeing all those smiling faces :)

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."