Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Jesus Rejoiced

Ta'Mara Hanscom
 21In that same hour He rejoiced in the Holy Spirit…Luke 10:21a ESV

I’ve read my Bible so many times over the last thirty-some years that I’ve lost track of how many. What’s remarkable in that is that I still see something brand new almost every day. For instance, the verse that I just read to you; I can honestly say that I don’t remember ever seeing that verse in my Bible before. And when I saw it the other day, it stopped me in my tracks.
Jesus rejoiced…

The story surrounding that verse goes like this: 17 The seventy-two returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in your name!” 18 And he said to them, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. 19 Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you. 20 Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”Luke 10:17-24 ESV

Seventy-Two of Jesus’ disciples had just returned from performing miracles in His Name, and they were excited about that – perhaps even bragging a little bit! But Jesus lovingly admonishes them, i.e., Guys, don’t get so puffed up about this! I saw Satan’s fall from glory because of the same problem.

And it can happen to anybody. 

There’s a great story about a successful, godly king in our Old Testament. His name was Uzziah, and he could do anything. He had an impeccable talent for industrialism, he was gifted in agriculture, and he had a hard-wired sense for national defense. But you know what did him in? Pride. When he’d developed his country to a superior point, he started to rewrite God’s perfect rules about worship. God struck Uzziah with leprosy and he was never permitted to be in His presence again.
Click to buy 'A Blackguard's Redemption' by Ta'Mara Hanscom

I think that Jesus’ seventy-two, having been revealed the glorious treasures of God’s Word, were caught up in the pride of accomplishment—not unlike King Uzziah. God gives us our gifts and talents, and we are to utilize them for Kingdom service and edification of the Body. They’re not intended for our personal glory.

Jesus told His disciples not to rejoice in the fact that they could overcome Satan and his minions with just His Holy Name. But, rather, that their names were written in heaven.

And it’s right there that Jesus rejoiced!

Jesus was delighted for the seventy-two, just as He is for each and every one of us who have our names written in heaven. In another passage, Jesus declared, “10 … I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents.Luke 15:10 ESV
…before the angels of God…

Jesus is before the angels of God. He is Commander of the heavenly host. He is filled with joy and He rejoices when even just one of us turns to Him in faith and repents of our sin.

“Blessed are the eyes that see what you see! 24 For I tell you that many prophets and kings desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.” Luke 10:23-24 ESV

We are blessed when we uncover the mystery of God through Jesus Christ. People a whole lot smarter, and in much higher position, study and wait for years for the revelations Jesus just lavishes on His people. We need only faith to stand in His grace.
Click to Buy
In faith, turn to our gracious Savior today! Repent of your sin and live a new life in Him. I guarantee, He will rejoice over you!

17 The Lord your God is in your midst,
    a mighty one who will save;
he will rejoice over you with gladness;
    he will quiet you by his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing.
Zephaniah 3:17 ESV
Hallelujah, what a Savior!
© 2018 Ta`Mara Hanscom

Leave a comment to get your name in a drawing for an ebook copy of book #1 of the Caselli Family Series, The Pretender - A Blackguard in Disguise by Ta'Mara Hanscom

~~~~~
A Blackguard s Redemption is the third volume of 5 in the epic romance series The Caselli Family Series.
Eleven years have passed since Noah and Tillie s chance meeting. Tillie is married to Alex Martin, III. Noah has been a widower for the past five years, and has grown terribly lonely.
Giuseppe and Rosa conspired, along with their daughter-in-law, Tara, to keep Noah s identity a secret...but little did they know that Noah himself would reveal their deceptions to an unsuspecting Angel.
As Alex relocates his family to Rapid City, SD, Noah s heart returns to the desire of a love he s never forgotten. And while Alex grows in the limelight of politics, Angel s heart softens to another man.
When tragedy strikes the Martins, Alex abandons his wife and children in their greatest hour of need. Giuseppe watches his planned marriage unravel and confesses his deceit to Noah.
Caught between a workaholic husband and a charming old flame, Tillie is torn between righteousness and desire.
~~~
 Fiction to Ignite Your Faith

Ta`Mara Hanscom was born and raised in South Dakota. She has lived in Sioux Falls, Tea, and Rapid City, the primary location of her fictional series, The Caselli Family Series.
Ta`Mara is a dedicated Bible scholar, specializing in the Old Testament which she has taught at her home church. She also teaches AWANA Sparks and speaks at women’s events.
She works full time on her writing and Bible lessons in northwest Iowa, where she currently resides with her husband Jim. She has three grown children and one grandson, two rescued cats and one Pomeranian. 


28 comments:

  1. Ta'Mara, lovely to have you here... thank you so much for being with us today. The books look wonderful and your scripture additions made me rejoice!

    I can totally believe the angels shout and cheer over each repentant sinner... and what a gathering they'll have in the kingdom!

    Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth, for your kind words and encouragement.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ta'Mara!

    So happy to have you here on Seekerville today!

    Your book sounds intriguing, especially since the setting is Rapid City. It's one of my favorite places in the world. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to be here, Jan. I lived in Rapid City for quite some time and we often consider going back there when we retire.

      Delete
  3. Ta'Mara, thanks for your visit today! And for the reminder that all glory belongs to God.

    I, too, love how I can read a Scripture passage many times and then suddenly see something different in it. I'm really enjoying reading The Message right now to get a different take in this wonderful translation of the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Missy, for your kind comment. I do also read The Message from time to time. I love it!

      Delete
  4. Ta'Mara, this is deep and so much what we, or at least I, need as I head out to Nashville before dawn on Thursday. Prepping myself to accept whatever His will is for me -- if it's success, not to let it go to my head, and if it's failure or "not quite yet," not to let it go to my heart. And always to remember that I'm not there for myself, but for Him and others. I need to rejoice over whatever happens, and be grateful I could go at all.
    Finishing up loose ends today.
    headache faded quite a bit, still mild so I'm spending shorter times at the computer, which is what I should have done in the first place.
    Heavy rain and flooding in NH so won't go far today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, kaybee, for your encouragement. It can sometimes be difficult to accept His will, but looking back on my past I can clearly see all of the things He protected me from...things I really wanted and didn't get. So thankful for His sovereign protection/decisions.

      Have a great trip, and be safe.

      Delete
    2. Kathy, I hope to see you tomorrow. I'll be working registration from 4-6. Stop by so we can exchange hugs.

      Delete
  5. Ta'Mara, thank you for joining us today. You have thrown forth some very thought-provoking stuff. Like, Kaybee, things I need to keep in the forefront of my mind as I head of to ACFW conference and as I approach my writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have to always remember that the "good stuff" comes from Him and not me.

      Have a super conference!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post, Ta'Mara. Many thanks for the reminder of that which has eternal value. Through faith in God we know He supplies all our needs. He has given us a Savior who rejoices over us. His richest blessings are ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Pat! He does supply, even when we don't realize our own need.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for that post, Ta'Mara. Great devotional for today. Please put me in the drawing. Your book looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ta'Mara:

    It's one thing to find something you've never noticed before when you open your Bible; however, it's quite another thing to notice a well known phrase now meaning something different than it did before.

    Perhaps the Bible provides wisdom on a curve.

    A Question: Why did you use the word 'blackguard' in your title? I just assumed this was a story set in the 1700's. But then 'blackguards' on motorcycles suggest time travel.

    What's the message?

    BTW: I read the sample text on Amazon for your book and it is very enticing. I'm also curious about "Ta'Mara" because my first thought on reading "Ta'Mara" was Tara of "Gone With The Wind" which makes me think of the famous quote: "Ta'Mara is another day". Was your mother a big fan of GWTW?

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Vince.

      I used the word "blackguard" (pronounced "blaggard") because it's an old English term that I felt described (and sounded) like a pretty horrible person.

      The series is not about time travel, it's about a Pretender, and a father's gargantuan mistake. Sometimes our mistakes can be corrected quickly. This mistake takes decades to set right.

      My mother came up with my name, and she used to sing it to me: "Ta`Mara, Ta`Mara, I love you, Ta`Mara..." to the tune "Tomorrow" from Annie. She was not a big fan of GWTW.

      Delete
    2. Hi Ta'Mara:

      What a wonderful thing about your mother signing your name as a child. I could even hear it as I read about it. That song has been running through my mind now for the last few hours.

      As someone who lived three years in Italy and went through three motorcycles, I just had to downloaded your first book in this series.


      BTW: when I hit the 'Look Inside' feature this morning, it opened to Chapter 1 and I never saw the Prologue where you do an excellent job of explaining why you used the term 'blackguard'.

      I'll be starting your book tonight.

      Thanks for your post today.

      Vince

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Vince! I love Italy and hope to go back soon.

      Delete
  9. Welcome to Seekerville.

    You have an interesting name. I an rather fond of unique names myself.

    For those of you wondering. I am finally feeling a little better from all the bouts with vertigo of course since it comes from a permanent injury I never know when it will hit the extreme level again. Hoping it will have several days of calm before another storm. I do know I can rejoice in the Lord even in the rough days. So glad I have the Lord.

    I will be praying everyone who is going to the conference has a great time. One of these days hope to be able to join you.

    I'd love a copy of the book.

    I love writing Bible lesson plans for children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments, Wilani! I teach AWANA Sparks, and I love getting my lesson together. I also teach adult women.

      Delete
  10. Hello Ta'Mara, Your books sounds like a must read. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ta'Mara thanks for sharing your thoughts. The evidence of pride is all around us - especially in those times when we can't admit that we're wrong. :( If only we'd humble ourselves.... Blessings to you as you share your heart and God's Word with others! Lee-Ann B

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am late seeing this but I agree that each time I read the Bible I often gain a new understanding. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm almost always late! But your post was so encouraging, reminding me to not get proud - it is only through God that we can do the things he has called us to do.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."