Thursday, September 6, 2018

Why do we love Amish stories?

with Meghan Carver

It was cold in that conference room at my very first writers conference in 2010. I had goose bumps up and down my arms, not only from the chill of the air conditioning but also from sheer nervousness. Jan Stob from Tyndale was the presenter at that particular session, and although I don’t remember much of what she said without going back to my notes, I do remember clearly her amazement that, after ten years, Amish stories remained mind-bogglingly popular.

Now, in 2018, they are still going strong. In fact, my publisher, Love Inspired and Love Inspired Suspense of Harlequin, is actively seeking Amish stories, and that’s provided a terrific opportunity for me and several other authors. There doesn’t seem to be any end in sight of the Amish wagon train.

Why? I had a few ideas of my own, but I also asked the question on Facebook in a fantastic group called Keeping Up with the Amish. (If you love Amish, find them and join. It’s a great group!)

So why do we love Amish stories? 

Traditional values. The value of home life, respect for others, respect for life, obedience to God’s will, honesty, persistence, patience, helpfulness, a cheerful and thankful attitude. It’s like going back in time while still reading a contemporary story.

Simple living. Okay, so the living may not really be that simple, but it sounds good in a book, doesn’t it? Some days, I would love to toss away my smartphone, get rid of my technology, and settle down for an evening with a book by lamplight. A gentle breeze fluttering the curtains. Wash drying on the line. Cows lowing in the pasture. Flowerbeds rioting with orange marigolds, pink zinnias, and purple petunias. Fresh-made lemonade on the porch. Can you feel your stress ebbing away?

Good food. Have you ever read an Amish book that doesn’t include a pie or a plate of cookies or some sticky buns? Tea and coffee? There just seems to be something comforting and wholesome about slicing through a berry pie and serving up a thick piece.

Family. I have six children, and I love my big family! About the only place left to find a big family, consistently, is the Amish. In Amish stories (apart from conflict necessary to move the story along), families are close-knit. Brothers and sisters get along and support each other. Aging parents live in the attached or nearby dawdi haus. Family is valued.

Community. Whether it’s a barn raising or a work frolic, the Amish really know how to come together and get something done in a cheerful manner. The combination of the words work and frolic say it all. 



Faith. The love of God shines through in nearly everything they say and do. When a character has a struggle of faith (which happens in every book I write), in the end, they are reconciled to God and to others. It’s a happily-ever-after of faith!

Lack of focus on self. No selfies, no me-me-me, but a focus on serving others.

Home-economics-style skills. Quilting, canning and preserving, crocheting, wood-working, raising animals. Reading Amish books remind me of my 4-H days and the stories my mother would tell about the way she grew up in the 1930s and 40s.

Lack of technology. I have a love-hate relationship with technology, as I’m sure many people do. It is much too consuming and time-stealing, and yet it’s how we’re able to connect here at Seekerville. Holding a print book and reading about a simple people who have shunned most technology is a relaxing and stress-relieving exercise. Then, I log on to Amazon and leave a good review. 

Many blessings and happy reading!


What would you add to this list? 


One commenter will win a copy of Meghan's newest release, Amish Country Amnesia!


Amish Country Amnesia: His past is a mystery to everyone…except for the men trying to kill him.
When a snowmobile accident leaves a man injured and with no memory, Amish widow Sarah Burkholder and her young daughter rescue him. Even as Sarah’s feelings for him grow, they discover unknown assailants are after him—and Sarah and her little girl for helping him. But if he can remember who he is, he might just save all their lives.











A bit about Meghan: By sixth grade, Meghan Carver knew she wanted to write. After a degree in English from Millikin University, she detoured to law school, completing a Juris Doctorate from Indiana University. She then worked in immigration law and taught college level Composition. Now, she homeschools her six children with her husband. When she isn’t writing, homeschooling or planning another travel adventure, she is active in her church, sews and reads.



47 comments:

  1. Welcome, Meghan! This is such a great list! I've always thought readers are drawn to simpler times, and the good in people in these stories. I love all the other reasons you added. It makes total sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Missy, and thank you so much to you Seekerville ladies for having me here today!

      Delete
  2. Good post, Meghan. I love the "continuity" of Amish life, how it's resistant to fads and unwelcome change.
    Would never attempt to write one, I don't have the background or the research chops, but admire anyone who does. Even more fun when you weave in a mystery.
    Won't be on much today, have places to go and other people to annoy, but since I pretty much lived here yesterday it all balances out.
    Kathy Bailey
    Getting It Done in NH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've added another excellent point, Kathy -- the Amish resist fads and trends, especially those that are not helpful to their faith and their community. No new iPhones for them! :-) Thank you for stopping in, and have a terrific day!

      Delete
  3. For me, the great thing about Amish books is that everybody's heard of the Amish, but there are so many things that need to be explained. Good Amish fiction shows how to introduce new ways without slowing down the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a mysterious bunch, aren't they, Walt? And there are so many differences between the church districts and communities as well that there is a lot to learn. Every time I read Amish fiction, I learn something new. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Good morning, Meghan, and welcome to Seekerville. I've always thought that part of the draw of Amish books was the curiosity. The Amish lifestyle is very different from that of the average American for many of the reasons you listed. But that curiosity can be settled in a book or two. Then I think it's the draw of a simpler life. People are overwhelmed. They wonder what it would be like to go back to the days of no television or social media. Of course, that would also mean giving some of those modern conveniences. Getting up at the crack of dawn, or before, to make breakfast and do chores might not appeal to many people.

    Perhaps someone should open up an Amish camp of sorts. Like a summer camp. For one week you can live like the Amish. Wonder how many takers they'd have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Mindy! I first read Beverly Lewis about fifteen years ago, and I was fascinated. I could barely get through the five-book series fast enough in my eagerness to learn about a group of people that refused to go along with popular culture. I know there are places where you can stay the night with an Amish family, but I don't know if it's really an authentic experience. Do they have air conditioning, for example? I don't know. But I think you're right that not many would want the early hours or the hard work.

      Delete
    2. I stayed at an Amish Bed and Breakfast a few years ago when I was doing some research in Holmes County, OH. The hosts provided electricity and air conditioning in the apartment above the barn where we stayed, but it was powered by solar electricity. It was a different experience!

      Delete
    3. I'd like to do that sometime, Jan. Thanks for answering my question about electricity in the guest accommodations. No AC in the middle of summer might be more than this Englisch woman would want to endure for research! :)

      Perhaps I should say, been there, done that. I still remember Ohio summers at my grandmother's without AC. One particular summer, we spent a week there during a record-breaking heatwave with temps over 100 degrees. :(

      Delete
  5. I also expected the AMish fad to go away soon, but that was many years ago and it's stronger than ever. I grew up near an Amish community and I think many of the aspects that fascinate people about Amish life seem a little more commonplace to me. I can remember playing a jr. high softball game against a team from an Amish school. All the girls wore their dresses and kapps to play in, but they slid into home plate as easily as those of us in shorts and t-shirts. The feed store I worked at had a large Amish clientele. They parked their buggies in the back alley instead of the parking slots at the front. I admire anyone who writes Amish stories because there are so many ways to get it wrong, so many different beliefs among the various sects, etc. Great post Meghan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How neat to grow up near the Amish, Cindy! As I've researched, it's been interesting to learn just how many differences there are among the church districts. Thanks for sharing your experiences! :-)

      Delete
  6. Good morning, Meghan!

    Your list hits so many of the reasons why people love Amish stories (I know I do!).

    The one thing about Amish fiction that I can never quite put my finger on is why readers are drawn to these things you've listed. I think it has something to do with wanting to be closer to God. All the things on your list allow a quietness that most "Englischers" find missing in their own lives.

    I think that Amish fiction reminds us that this quiet, simpler, slower lifestyle isn't beyond our reach. The Old Order Amish aren't any different than we are, except that they have chosen to live in a different way.

    I'm looking forward to reading Amish Country Amnesia! Congratulations on your new release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Jan, and thank you for hosting me here! I've often thought that readers like Amish for the same reason they like historical fiction, and now you're combining the two in your release coming this month. Wow! I'm looking forward to reading yours!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Meghan. And thank you so much for being here today!

      Delete
  7. Hi Meghan, I can't add to your list but I would like to comment on their letter writing and card making. I have seen some beautiful cards that they have personally made and read some wonderful letters from my Amish friends. I realize that letters are their chief source of communication and I wish that more of us took the time to still do this. I do try to send notes and cards but I certainly don't make them.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts today.
    Blessings!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great observation, Connie! Letter-writing factors into the plot in my book, and I loved being able to include that. When I was in college (three decades ago now), I wrote letters home. They are a great keepsake now and provide interesting insights into my time there. When my husband and I were dating, we would send cards to each other. Of course, those are in a special box. My birth mother told me once, "You can't reread a phone call." Today's technology is so throw-away. You can hit delete for an email, and who keeps their texts? And we can't forget the wonderfulness of stationary! :-) Thanks so much, Connie, for your comment. Now I need to write a letter. :-)

      Delete
    2. Letter writing is becoming a lost art in these days of e-mail and instant messaging, isn't it?

      I remember my mom taking time every Saturday morning to write a short letter to her parents and her mother-in-law. If only I was as disciplined!

      Hmm. Maybe we should start a "write real letters" movement!

      Delete
    3. I mourn the loss of letter writing. Jan, my mother and I exchanged letters daily until her death. She and her mother were daily correspondents as well.

      I have an Amish pen pal and always enjoy receiving her newsy notes. I send a self-addressed, stamped envelop with my reply so she doesn't have to worry about postage. She's a widow and makes baskets for extra money. As is the Amish way, she lives next to her son and daughter-in-law.

      Delete
  8. Morning, Meghan. I'm reading Amish Country Amnesia right now. While I can't add to the list, I do love the simple ways of the Amish. I agree about the letter writing. It is a dying art. Congrats on your new release. It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, how fun that you're reading her book now!

      Delete
    2. Fun and scary! I hope you enjoy it, Mary. I think we have a consensus on the letter writing. I'm with Jan. Let's revive letter-writing!

      Delete
    3. I'm loving the book, Meghan. Thanks for writing such a wonderful book.

      Delete
  9. Hi Meghan!
    I love the peacefulness of an Amish novel. Even with suspense! For one thing, you know things will ultimately be all right. I admit I didn't really 'get' Amish fiction until I impulsively picked up the first book in Vanetta Chapman's Amish Bishop series. The way that character displays quiet faith in the face of everything, including plenty of time in prayer, is so soothing to read in the midst of the suspense. After that I gave Amish romance another try and found I liked it. And I am so looking forward to reading YOUR book! Amish + suspense + romance :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenna, that's great that you discovered Amish novels and have loved them!

      Delete
    2. I loved reading your comment, Jenna. Actually, the Amish stories deal with some of the same issues faced by the non-Amish. It's just that the setting and surroundings are different. But the internal struggles are the same.

      Delete
    3. That's a great thing to notice, Jenna, and I know exactly what you mean. I know some Christians who have that unshakeable peace, but I imagine that most Amish have that. I really enjoy writing (and reading) the suspense but with, at least, one character that has some calm in the midst of the suspense storm.

      Delete
  10. I love reading amish for the reasons you have posted. I grew up not liking to read but as an adult I have read Amish and all but Amish has kept me reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, I love to hear about people finding their favorite genres and falling in love with reading! My daughter is starting to do that now, after growing up not really liking to read much.

      Delete
    2. Melissa, so glad you "found" Amish fiction!

      Delete
    3. How terrific to have found your genre, and I'm thrilled it's Amish! :-) My husband is much the same way, I think. He was not happy to read as a child, and I think it was for lack of something to interest him. Now, as an adult, he's found his genre, and it's made a world of difference. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  11. I love what you've said today, Meghan. All so true. I also like the polar differences between the Amish way and the villains in the suspense stories. Peace-loving versus criminal and hurtful. The goodness of the Amish characters makes the bad guys seem even more so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good point, Debby! I hadn't thought of it in so many words, but that makes for a better experience for reader and writer. Thank you!

      Delete
  12. Another thought about the attraction of Amish fiction...
    People long for peace in their lives. If they're living in turmoil or with struggle, they can find that which they most need within the stories. Peace comes when we're living in right order with God's law. Sometimes that right order is difficult to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I pray through every book that God would use something in it to encourage or inspire or bless the readers, as I sure you do as well. I cannot count the number of times God has used a novel to speak to me.

      Delete
  13. I love reading how the Amish believe in total forgiveness of others marypopmom (at) yahoo (dot) com
    Maryann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon, Maryann! Yes, this has spoken to me as well through the writing, as I have to think through and craft a character who forgives so readily. May the Lord help us to forgive more easily! :-)

      Delete
  14. I think it has something to do with....a historical set in contemporary times.
    The old-fashioned vibe in the modern world.

    I have always sort of wondered about it. I liked your list of reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening, Mary! That's perfect..."the old-fashioned vibe in the modern world."

      Delete
  15. Guess this is where to sign up for the giveaway? It certainly sounds interesting so I will cross my fingers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is it, Loretta. Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      Delete
  16. I enjoy Amish because of the simple life. Kind of feel like that was more like it used to be in the good ole days.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I resonated with the you can't hide part, but all the point e were pretty cool. The book son d's neat and I'm heading over to Amazon to preorder. Can't have too many Christmas romances... Thanks for sharing today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. On tablet and commented on wrong post. But I did enjoy this one too. I love the simplicity of the faith mixed with life of the Amish. Mary's old fashioned vibe in modern world comment was good too. Would love to read your book, megan

      Delete
  18. I wouldn't add anything to this list. In fact, we who are not Amish, could take a lesson or two from those who are.
    Janet E.
    von1janet(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."