Thursday, February 14, 2019

Celebrating Love!

Happy Valentine’s Day to all you wonderful Villagers! We’re so happy to share the holiday with you! Today (and tomorrow), we'll celebrate romance, friendship, and family (relatives, writer family, online family, and even our 4-legged family members!). In other words, we’re celebrating LOVE in all its forms. We’re so thankful for the love, friendship and support we have here at Seekerville. Y’all are the very best gift!

For our celebration, I asked our bloggers and others to share favorite memories of Valentine’s Day. I hope you enjoy these tributes to love!
From Erica Vetsch:
One of my favorite memories of Valentine’s Day happened several years ago. My husband brought me flowers. This is a rare occurrence ‘round here, as my husband is all about growing flowers not buying ‘dead ones.’ :)
He brought me the prettiest little bouquet of Peruvian Lilies in paper wrapping. Pink with faint brown flecks down their throats. They probably cost $5.00 at the grocery store, but it didn’t matter that it wasn’t two dozen red roses with greenery and baby’s breath.  He’d brought me flowers in the middle of the Minnesota winter.
He’s brought me flowers before and since, but the reason this time stands out is that I was feeling particularly down (winter is a tough time for me as I fight seasonal depression) and those flowers chirked me up no end. 
Not only that, they lasted for a full five weeks! I’ve never seen the like. I remember it well, because my birthday comes five weeks after Valentine’s Day, and I still had those flowers cheering me right up.
From Ruthy Logan Herne:

Romantic Valentine's Days are those things stories are made of... in other words, they haven't exactly been the reality around the farm, LOL! So instead of sitting around, I would always do something special for the kids for Valentine's Day.

I’d make cookies and put them in a decorated box, all trimmed out, just like they show on the Nestle Morsels commercial! And I'd make little cards for them, and we'd have pretend mailboxes... and we'd put cards for each other (and Daddy, of course!) in the pretend mailboxes. We didn't worry about the sweetheart aspects because I'm pretty pragmatic about the whole thing... but I did like making it a special family thing, probably because it's February and we were trapped in the house other than school or work. Doing a special Valentine's Day supper and our "post office" was a bright ray in a very long "short" month! 

photo by Missy Tippens


From Faye Wilson Walton:
Valentine's Day, 2007, we were less than a week away from getting married. Needless to say, between work, the wedding plans, and finding an apartment to live in, we barely had time to breathe. We met at a local pizza place (which, sadly, has since closed) and ate pizza. While we were enjoying being together and enjoying one of our favorite foods, I told him we should make eating pizza a tradition for Valentine's Day. Ever since then, for most Valentine's Days, we have had pizza. In fact, we even have plans to have that this week. As it happens, we have been going full throttle with our busy schedules. We're looking forward to having pizza at another local pizza place just down the road from our house and having a fun conversation.

From Mindy Obenhaus:
The first year my husband and I were married he asked me where I wanted to go for dinner. I told him he’d better make reservations, but he said, “Why? It’s only a Wednesday. It’s not like Valentines is that big a deal.”  When we got to the restaurant, there was a minimum hour wait. Same at the next restaurant. I finally told him to swing by the grocery store and I’d pick up one of the surf and turf packages they offered and cook it at home.
They were all out. We ended up buying fried chicken and eating at home. After that, I decided we would never go out on Valentine’s Day again. Instead, I’d fix the two of us a restaurant-worthy dinner at home, complete with china and crystal. I got my fancy meal and flowers and we were never disappointed again.

From Mary Connealy:
My Cowboy used to get a Valentine for me and a smaller one for each of the girls. One year, for example, before my fourth daughter was born, he bought me three roses and each of the girls one rose...for a total of half dozen. One year he bought me a large bouquet and three small bouquets for the girls. I remember one year a neighbor was babysitting for my daughters and My Cowboy was scheduled to pick them up. He took a flower to the neighbor lady. Later she told me that single rose was all she got. Her husband didn't get her anything. She said, "Your husband gave me a better Valentine than my husband." Anyway, she said it with a smile on her face and it warmed my heart that My Cowboy was spreading flowers near and far.


From Ruthy Logan Herne:
We've had one funeral home in town for as long as I can remember. It's a small town, but with about 8,000 people, that funeral home does a steady business as babies come and old folks go and every year the funeral director takes all the new widowers and widows out for a Valentine's Day lunch. They don't all come... but they're all invited. And he makes sure they're not spending that first Valentine's Day alone.



From Jan Drexler:
My favorite Valentine's memory:

Years ago, when our children ranged in age from one to ten years old, I wanted to be able to take them places (like the library) while my husband was at work. A new wagon had just come on the market from Little Tykes. I'm sure you've seen them: a seat at each end and spot in the middle for the children's feet. I had my heart set on that wagon. It was perfect. But I also knew how tight our budget was. There was no way we could afford it.

But on Valentine's Day, my husband gave me a HUGE package - you guessed it. It was my wagon!

Was it flowers? Candy? A nice dinner out? No. But it was the most romantic present he ever gave me, because he put my wants and needs first.

From Winnie Griggs:
I don't really have a memory to share per se, but I will say this.  My birthday falls on the day before Valentine's Day so it would be very easy for my hubby to do a two-for-one (as many did when I was younger), but instead he is always great about marking each day with a small gift of some sort. Always makes me feel special 

From Carrie Schmidt:
My parents always used to make fun scavenger hunts for us around the house for our Valentine's candy. They would create a rhyming clue that would point us to the next clue location. My brother (5 years younger than me) delighted in running from clue to clue but as soon as we would find the next clue, he'd hand it to me and start running toward the next clue ... before he knew where it was! LOL. I would read it and holler out to him to go to such and such an object or room. He'd beat me there and we'd start the pattern again. Then my mom would make a fun dinner with pats of butter cut out in the shape of hearts, applesauce with those red-hot hearts melted in it, some sort of entree/veggies, and dessert was usually angel food cake cut in heart shapes with strawberries and chocolate drizzle. Always a holiday I looked forward to!

From Sandy Smith:
I will submit a romantic moment memory. It wasn’t Valentine’s Day but it was when I first started dating my husband. He had invited me over to his house for a meal he had cooked. Throughout the meal, he kept pouring me more water and kept asking if I needed more. I kept telling him I was fine. Finally, I excused myself to use the restroom. When I walked into the bathroom, I saw a bouquet of red roses. I thought this guy really decorated his house well to keep roses in the bathroom. It took me a moment to realize the roses were for me and he kept giving me water in hopes I would need to use that room!


From Cindy Regnier:
The first Valentine’s Day after our third child was born, I wanted to do something special for my husband. I had a tie tack made for him with the three birthstones of our children. Unbeknownst to me, my husband was having a ring made for me with the same birthstones. I can just imagine that I-know-a-secret smile on the face of the jeweler who made both pieces on the same day! 

From Audra Harders:
Valentine's Day is my favorite holiday, hands down. Hearts and love flung across the television and the US postal system like confetting, the holiday cheer wrapping everyone with warm fuzzies. Well, at least that was the consensus at my house, LOL! From the time they were very young, my kids were convinced Valentines Day was the forgotten national holiday!! 

So, fast forward to my daughter's freshman year of college. Oh, she was a wild one and a handful to manage throughout all her growing years, but once she left for college, she discovered the consequences of her actions lay solely on her shoulders. That said, one evening she and some friends went out and had a bit too much fun. Picture 3am, back in the dorm room and my daughter's roommate on the phone to her parents wailing about the fallout of their party-ing. When roommate got off the phone, she looked at my daughter and asked her of our reaction. My daughter shrugged and said, "are you kidding me? I'm not waking my mom up at 3am on her favorite holiday to tell her I got in trouble. I'll wait until I know she's had at least 2 cups of coffee in her and has opened a cute card from my dad!" 

My daughter remains to this day, a very astute young lady, LOL.

From Missy Tippens:
Most of my favorite memories of Valentine’s Day are from childhood. I remember really looking forward to the gifts my parents (actually, my mom did the purchasing) would leave for my sister and me—usually something personal like underwear or pajamas with hearts on them or cute socks. And of course, a small heart-shaped box of chocolates! Those gifts always made me feel special.

Okay, readers, what about you? Would you like to share a memory? Let’s celebrate the many kinds of love! We will also have a surprise giveaway or two down in the comments. So leave a comment if you’d like to be entered! (Winners announced in the Weekend Edition.)

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

81 comments:

  1. Valentine's Day is not something I have ever really gotten into. I must admit to loving the everyday gestures more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I'm with you and I hope the candy companies don't hate me because they know I support them 24/7/365! :)

      Delete
    2. Mary, sometimes the everyday gestures are much more meaningful--because they're not expected. I love "just because."

      Delete
  2. Hey, there's a $10 AMAZON card, courtesy of The Seekers, waiting for someone who shares a Valentine's thought or story today or tomorrow! We'd love to hear your stories!!! And watch the comments for more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Son was born on February 12th so that was and has always been be special valentines day gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading all of these stories. Happy Valentine's Day, fellow writers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thank the Lord for His perfect gift of love!

    HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jon & I don't celebrate Valentine's Day together. I don't really care about it and we'd both rather save the money than spend more on flowers & candy & dinners just because it's a specific date & everyone jacks up the prices.

    The kids do Valentines for their classmates and I tucked a Valentine into their lunches today.

    One memory to share: When Jon & I were dating, we were long distance: me in New York and Jon in Minnesota. I don't really care about receiving gifts (my love language is physical touch - I'm a snuggler, hand-holder, & hugger), but because we were long distance, hadn't seen each other since Christmas, and it was our first Valentine's Day together, I sent him a care package. He sent me...nothing. *face palm*

    A week later, I get a hand-made card in the mail with a picture of a train and the words, "I choo, choo, choose you!" :)

    I still have that card.

    And I realize, after being together for over 12 years now, that he's really good about surprising me with flowers or special things on random days throughout the year, instead of just on "special" days. I like this way MUCH better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. News Bulletin!!!! Author uses cute cheesy card in a book, Film at 11:00!!!! :)

      Aw, Beth, I do love that story!!!!

      Delete
    2. Such a cute story, Beth!! You know, my daughter's love language is physical touch. I love when she comes home for some snuggle time!

      By the way, my love language is acts of service. The best Valentine's Day gift I could get would be for someone to wash the dishes, clean the house, or make a meal for me. :)

      Delete
    3. Ruthy, you might need to get permission from The Simpsons TV show first. Since he stole the idea from there! :)

      Delete
    4. Missy, I can get behind those kinds of gifts as well!!!!! :)

      Delete
    5. I love it when people lighten my workload and actually realize that I don't love, love, love working endlessly... but stuff's got to get done and that's a fact.

      Delete
  7. My favorite childhood memory was decorating our Valentine's "mailboxes", (a white lunch bag) at school then later reading each one when I got home :)

    I started dating my husband at 16, that first heart shaped Russell Stover box of chocolates cinched the deal...because um..Russell Stover ;) There have been many boxes of chocolate over the years, but that first one was special and I still have that box after 46 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracey, that's so sweet! You know, I remember well the years in school where we'd build mailboxes out of shoe boxes and everyone would bring in cards for everyone else. But one year (6th grade), I got a box...boxes...of candy from TWO different boys!! Total shock (and at that age, embarrassing!) But you know, I was thrilled and saved those boxes, too. :)

      Delete
    2. I never, ever, ever got a gift of chocolate from a boy in school.

      Once we were married, Dave would do that sometimes... or the random little bouquet that was always nice!

      But none of those school things, Missy.

      You brat.

      Delete
  8. I'm offering an e-book copy of my recent Valentine's Day novella, Her Valentine Reunion, to one commenter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful memories! Valentine's Day is one of my favorite days of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, I think it's a fun day to think about love in general. I don't usually make it into a big romantic thing--mostly because it's so crowded it's tough to go out to enjoy an evening together!

      I've always enjoyed getting gifts for the kids on V-day, probably because my mom was big into that. I probably disappointed them this year, though, because I only sent cards!

      Delete
    2. You know, after working for eleven years in a Greek restaurant, I can say that my boss and the cook really wanted things to be special for people. There was no hijacking prices or doing anything like that. And they'd do sweetheart specials, etc... Steaks and seafood and all kinds of things, but they were also very smart about what got cooked where... So if most of your specials get cooked over the charcoal/wood fire, then your dinners will back up...

      If you've got fancy sauces and just have to pan broil six scallops to go under them, easy... and it's in the broiler...

      Breakfasts get backed up because so much has to go on the grill. And there's no substitute for the grill...

      So I really saw them work at how to make sure folks came in happy and left the same way and that coordinated effort started two weeks before.

      I loved waitressing.

      Not as much as writing. :)

      But I loved it.

      Delete
  10. Fun to read all these and thank you for publishing my memory. That one wasn't from Valentine's Day, but my husband does always come through with chocolates and usually flowers. I had forgotten a memory that came up on my FB page this morning. Several years ago my husband and I had decided not to do gifts for Valentine's Day, but I came home to find roses on the table anyway. I asked him why and he said because he was going to have foot surgery the next day that he figured he was going to be a pain for a few days and I deserved them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. RUTHY, that funeral home director has my heart. What a sweet thing to do!

    WINNIE, happy belated birthday!!

    All these stories are wonderful! Thanks, everyone, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these stories!

    By the way, one commenter will win a copy of my new release, "Convenient Amish Proposal!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Story Time!

    I have two valentine stories.

    The first was with a girl I was dating that I really liked. She just loved Donna Leon, read all her books, and dreamed of going to Venice and meeting a real Romeo.

    As a special treat I learned that Donna Leon's books came out a year earlier in England than they did in the USA. I had an account at Blackwell's in London and I had them send me the new Leon book a year before my date would have gotten her hands on it.

    I wrapped the book in heart patterned gift paper and presented the package to her at a nice Italian restaurant where we were having a Valentine date. She opened the package at the table and screamed! The whole restaurant went silent. I just knew they all thought I had given her an engagement ring. I was a little red faced that night!

    That was a hard Valentine's day to forget. Boy did that girl love Donna Leon. I sometimes wonder if she ever got to Venice and met her Romeo.

    The second story was with my future wife. This was the woman I really wanted. I sent candy, cute little stuffed animals, flowers, and lots of different 'thinking of you cards'. My secretary was appalled. She kept warning me, "You can't do all this and not marry this woman. You know that, don't you?"

    I didn't tell her but that was the whole idea.

    Valentine's day was coming up and I needed a grand gesture. So I ordered a wedding type cake in the shape of a heart with something really romantic as the inscription. It was from the best bakery in Tulsa. I had the cake delivered to her classroom as she was teaching. All the other teachers came to see it. Lots of oohs and ahas. The cake was taken to the teacher's lounge, photos taken, and mostly all consumed by the end of lunch hour. It was a big hit. Teachers love to eat cake! My wife said it made her feel like a princess.

    Years later, even 30 years later, when we'd meet some of the teachers my wife taught with back then, they would often comment, "You're the one who sent the cake!"

    It was a Valentine's Day that even people I've never met before, keep reminding me about!


    Somewhere my wife still has the photos to prove this!

    Happy Valentine's Day One and All!

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh mylanta, I love that story so much! NOW THAT'S ROMANTIC!!!!!

      Vince, you were an awesome catch right from the get-go!!!

      Delete
    2. Wonderful stories, Vince!! I love a guy who'll plan ahead like that and try to make a holiday special!!

      Delete
  14. I enjoyed all the Valentine's memories. :) Mine is not so sweet. The very first Valentine's Day after we were married, I had high expectations for a very romantic day, as my husband had been very romantic while dating. He brought home a movie, Lilo & Stitch.

    Even though, I had been wanting to see it, it didn't meet my expectations of romantic. No chocolate, no flowers, no stuffed animal, no card, just a non-romantic movie. I cried.

    I've since learned to lower my expectations. And he has learned to save the flowers & chocolate for Valentine's Day, if we have the money that year. This year, he has scheduled a babysitter and promised me a dinner at my very favorite restaurant. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Lila, I hear you... and I didn't like Lilo and Stitch, so I commiserate! :) And it's so funny as couples get to really know each other to understand those expectations...

      I am never afraid to go to the chocolate store myself now. Or to Abbott's frozen custard for ice cream because one of us has to support the local economy! :)

      Delete
    2. Lila, thanks for sharing your story. I suspect that's more common than the romantic stories! :) I will never forget my first or second anniversary after I got married. I was hoping I'd get something romantic (probably had jewelry in mind!). And I got...an exercise mat and house slippers!! I think I was most offended about the exercise mat (a big hint??). LOL But he was just thinking of practical things I might like. We learn a lot in those early years! I'm pretty sure I got jewelry the next year. haha Nowadays, I prefer the practical.

      Delete
  15. I love all these Valentine's stories! My mother's birthday is today - Valentine's Day and she's 86 today - so we've always made a big deal out of Valentine's Day in our family. And tonight I'm looking forward to a special meal out with my husband at one of our favourite restaurants because we haven't been able to get out for awhile now. He made all the arrangements for it so that's what's special to me. To me, Valentine's Day is a nice day in mid-winter to stop and remind ourselves of the blessings of family and friends and spread some love and kindness around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Laurie, that is so romantic! Good for you, that's such a nice thing to do together. I hope it's wonderful!

      And Mom is 86 today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOM!!!!!!

      That's so cool!

      Delete
    2. Happy birthday to your mom! Enjoy your night out!! I'm thankful the weather is cooperating. :)

      Delete
  16. I love Valentine's Day! We keep it simple, but it's the small things that are special to me. Helping my girls pick out valentines for their classmates, watching my five year old sign her name 30 times on them, surprising them with candy and a stuffed animal (this year they got llamas) :)

    I always get my husband his favorite chocolate, See's Candy milk bordeaux. He brings me flowers, the type is always a surprise. We used to go out to dinner, but now that we're older we just order takeout and eat at home with our daughters to avoid the crowds, then go on a date the following weekend.

    I'm loving everyone's stories!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so smart. Going out the week ahead or after is the thing to do!

      We noticed something else during my years at Basel's Restaurant...

      Dads were brought out for breakfast.... Like literally the place would fill up with fathers on Father's Day morning, after church, before church, no church.... Father's Day was a huge morning "rush".

      Mother's Day was some for breakfast, but lunch and dinner was swamped.

      Now how funny is that????

      Delete
    2. Heidi, we're planning to go to dinner another night as well. Won't fight the crowds tonight. Although, I think last year we went to a small local Thai restaurant and had no wait.

      Delete
    3. Ruthy that's interesting. Maybe the mothers were getting breakfast in bed ;)

      Delete
    4. Heidi, it sounds like you really do Valentine's Day right. Love and attention for all the right reasons.

      Delete
  17. A fun memory from today - one of my children came home from school with a box of Sour Patch Kids and said “surprise”! We both love them so got to share them together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A funny college memory - a friend and I were very single so we decided to hang out and watch movies for the evening while everyone else was out with their significant others. I brought the red heart cinnamon candies in bulk. we sat watching the movie and munching. By the end of the evening we discovered that cinnamon hearts cause major gas! Hahaha So out came the air freshner and to this day, we wish each other "Happy Cinnamon Hearts and Air Freshner Day." Lee-Ann B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's hysterical... and nothing I knew because I do the fruit hearts, not the cinnamon. Lee-Ann... thank you for sharing your gassy self! :)

      Delete
    2. LOL, Lee-Ann!! I love that y'all still remember that. :)

      Delete
  19. I’m thankful for my loving parents and now my loving husband who show me love everyday. Thank you for the chance. Happy Valentine’s Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lucy! Oh, what a sweetheart you are. You totally understand the important things in life. I'm so glad you stopped by!!!

      Delete
  20. Enjoyed hearing all the Valentine's Day stories. After we'd waited many years for a child, our first son was born on Feb. 13th. Thirty years ago yesterday. Feb.13&14 are especially special to us for that reason. One thing that I can count on is getting 2 lovely cards from hubby every year, even before our son was born.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Pat, that's a lovely story. Your "little" sweetheart came at just the right time. Bless him and you!

      Delete
    2. Pat, how wonderful! And what fun to have a Valentine's birthday. :) I have a friend who has a V-day anniversary. She said it's great because her husband can't ever forget! :)

      Delete
  21. I should add a wonderful Valentine's gift that I got! Last night at church, I found the church librarian and her daughter had made a Valentine's display using my books! I posted photos on Facebook. You should check it out! So sweet of them to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my stars, that's marvelous!!!! Good for you and how sweet of them!

      Delete
  22. I hate it when my husband spends money on Valentine's gifts for me. One year, though, he upgraded my wedding ring. It was so sweet and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like being frugal, too.... It suits because after raising six kids and being broke for a good share of our lives, being a good money steward is a wonderful thing...

      Delete
  23. In November 2018 our Women's Mission Group published a cookbook and my songleader husband told our congregation that he knew what he was getting me for Christmas and he did give me a cookbook. Then, in early Feb., he remarked to the congregation that he was getting me another cookbook for Valentine's Day and once again, he did! But inside, taked to one of the pages, there was a beautiful birthstone ring. Just when I thought I couldn't be surprised by this man!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Connie, how creative!! I love it. :) What a sweet way to present a gift!

      Delete
    2. That's the coolest thing, Connie! What a wonderful surprise! Well done, Connie's husband!!!!

      Delete
    3. I love that, Connie! You're in sync with him even when you don't know it.

      Delete
  24. My favorite Valentine's day was when my hubby couldn't get to town to buy a card so he cut out hearts and wrote on them. He then put them all over the house for me to find. My best day ever. fishingjanATaolDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such great stories!!! My Valentine always gives me roses, which is so sweet! No personal Valentine's Day stories though...just lots of years of love!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How About Some Valentine Recopies for Candy or Cake?

    If it is not too late.


    I'd really like to know about some red Valentine fudge.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sorry to be late here; our VD and today was filled with doctor appointments! At least we were together - again! lol Lots to be thankful for!
    Enjoyed this post and all the comments!

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."