Friday, August 24, 2018

Memes, Monkeys, and Me: Photo Editing and Graphics Design for Amateurs


by Pam Hillman

This post first appeared in Seekerville in 2013, and at the time some of us didn't know what a meme was, and others thought it was pronounced memE (ahem). Assuming some of us might need a refresher, let's start at the beginning.

What’s a meme? Our current society considers a meme as an image or video that is passed electronically from one internet user to another. All those cute little pictures with captions that we see on facebook and Pinterest? They’re memes. We’ll get to the monkeys in a minute, but first, my graphics design credentials.

I became an amateur graphics designer many, many years ago. And I do mean amateur. My first foray into design was of the cut-and-paste nature. A co-worker’s son was having his 3rd or 4th birthday party and his mother found cute action figure plates, cups, and napkins for the party. We designed invitations, cut out the action figure from one of the plates, and taped it to the invitation and made copies on a black and white copy machine. Hey, this was the dark ages, but the invitations were still cute as a button and his son loved them, so that was what counted.

One thing led to another, and I started a cottage business called Celebrations, DTP (desktop publishing). I created logos, business cards, and letterheads for small businesses. Since the internet was unheard of (yes, there was such a time), I ordered font packages, clip art, and software to install on my computer. I also begged the local newspaper for all their old clipart books that they were going to throw away. HUGE books with tons of clip art that could be used in all manner of advertisements.
Okay, enough about that. Fast forward to today….

We’ve come a long way. Professional graphics designers wouldn’t be caught without the latest digital software, graphics, and fonts at their disposal. I’m not a professional, but I still need promotional pieces here and there, and usually too quickly to contact a professional designer. I don’t want to buy new software that has a huge learning curve when I’ll only use it a few dozen times a year. I want something easy, fun, and cheap. Free is even better!

So today isn’t about buying anything fancy. It’s just a few quick, easy examples that you can implement to promote your books, yourself, your brand, etc. I’m going to use the *free picture editing software called PicMonkey to show you what you can do in a few minutes. You really can’t mess this up!

My interests lean toward cowboys, sepia-toned pictures, country, rural areas, horses, steeples, churches, rustic barns, cattle, etc. So we’re going to use a picture I took of my home church. This particular picture was taken with my iPhone. I prefer my digital camera, but I worked with what I had at the moment. I took several shots at different angles, and at first glance, this one might not be the best choice to use, but it appealed to me. I could already visualize the type of design I wanted if the pictures turned out okay. See the vehicle in the bottom left-hand corner of this picture?
Steeple In Shadow Original Photo - Taken with an iPhone at Dusk White Plains Holiness Assembly Pam Hillman 2013
After uploading my original picture Steeple in Shadow to PicMonkey (just click “Edit a Photo” and follow the directions. It’s easy!), I started playing with it.

If you just want to add text, click on the “P”, pick a font and type your text. You can change fonts, sizes, colors. Just play with it until you're satisfied with the results. Obviously, since this picture was dark with a lot of shadow, I needed to use a contrasting white/cream-colored font.

Wait!! Stop the Monkey!! The sky is blue…ooohh, blue font… Be right back. I’m playing in PicMonkey as I type this. What fun!!! And…more playing. Visually, this font needs to be right-adjusted because of the shape of the pink crepe myrtle bushes that are in shadow… Let’s see how this looks…
Steeple in Shadow - Blue Text Only Change
I haven’t done anything to the picture itself at this point. Just added the text, decided it needed to be pale blue, and right-adjusted. That’s it. Then I saved it. You could run with that. But let’s play just a bit more and see what we can come up with. I’d like to get rid of that car in the corner.

I could crop the picture, but I don’t want to. I like where the steeple is, just off center, so I’m not going to do that. Some kind of soft edging appeals to me for this pic. Let’s try that first...
Steeple in Shadow - Blue Text and Faded Edges. Nice!
Yep, that works! Simply select Dark Edges under the Effects tool BUT move to white (or a creamy color) on the color wheel. Again, with all these shadows, I don’t want to make it more dark. The car is almost completely gone. In some cases you can use the Clone tool to get rid of something, but in this case, I chose the soft edges option instead. Worked okay and makes a nice enough meme.
One final picture of my Steeple In Shadow because I simply can’t resist, and the final result is exactly what I had in mind when I took this picture...
White Plains Holiness Assembly In the Shadow of the Steeple
To achieve the meme above, I used Daguerreotype frame with Effects / Sunglow applied. Notice that since this version fits my personal style of old-fashioned photos with an antique flair, I’ve added my website in PicMonkey’s Bleeding Cowboys font. Small, understated, and unobtrusive.
~ ~ ~ 
Here are some more before and after examples I’ve created with picMonkey. I wanted to show you these pictures side-by-side, but the blog feed is too narrow for that.

At the original posting of this article, ACFW was having a sale on all their conference CDs until the conference. So, I went into action. I grabbed my CDs, my pink iphone, pink earbuds, made a glass of raspberry tea and staged it all on my front porch. I took about 15 digital pictures, then uploaded them to my laptop. I jotted down 2-3 that I thought would be perfect to promote the sale. I needed a good sharp picture that showed the CD case, but also left room for text. I’ll try to point out all the options I used.
ACFW Original Photo Taken mid-day with Kodak DX6490 Uh...My Front Porch
First, I decided where I wanted the text to be, placing it where it was visually the most appealing. I rotated the price just a bit clockwise. Then, thinking about the pink earbuds, I decided to use that to give some eye-popping color. Fun, flirty pink font at the bottom and at the top for the price. Next, I used the contrast and clarity tools to brighten the picture. I found the sunglasses in Overlays, made them pink and faded them out. The coup de grace was when I discovered the bright sunlight feature in Effects. I popped it over the top left-hand corner and added even more color with the yellow Summer Sale text. Use color and contrast to achieve the effect you want.
Final version of ACFW CD Sale Advertisement
I’m going to share a SECRET TIP with those of you who want something just a little more advanced. Sometimes you want a shadowed font, but oftentimes free software doesn’t give you that option. I haven’t found shadowed fonts in PicMonkey, but you’ll see that I have some in the ACFW CD sale. The words “Summer Sale” and the “$89.95” have a dark gray shadow behind them. Here’s how I created that.

First add your text to your photo, formatting it as you would like it to appear.

Next, create a new text box and copy/paste the original font into the new text box. Make sure it’s the exact same size and shape as the original. The tool box will help you with this.

Reverse the font color so that it contrasts with the original, but also doesn’t blend into the background too much. If your reverse/shadow text box is in front of your primary color, use the Layer toolbox to Send backward.

And then shift your shadowed text box off-center just a little. Not much. You want the illusion of shadow, not something that jumps out at the viewer. That should give you a shadowed text. But don’t use shadows in long strings of text, only for emphasis and for contrast.
 ~  ~  ~
I mentioned clarity earlier.

Sharpen and clarity are your friends.

Just be aware of what happens when you use these features, so work to get the mix just right. In some cases, too much can be ...uh... too much. Check out this picture that I posted on July 4th. I cropped out the date, of course. Used the Effects / Sharpen and Clarity tools to create eye-popping color.
Original Photo taken on perfectly windy morning in June 2009 Hardy Manufacturing, Philadelphia, MS Pam Hillman, Kodak DX6490
American Flag - God Bless America!
Can you see the difference?

You might have to click on the pictures to see. The white is brighter, the red deeper, and there is a slight glow all around the flag. This is a good example of what a difference sharpen and clarity can make. I ended up putting a basic picture “frame” around this.
~  ~  ~
Sometimes it doesn’t take much to create a PicMonkey masterpiece….
Black Angus Bull - iPhone Broken Ended Farms Pam Hillman
I took this shot with my iPhone while helping My Cowboy work cows. I was standing inches away, and the big guy was in the chute, so it wasn’t like he could get me. And he’s pretty gentle anyway...most of the time. I used Daguerreotype / Shiro and the picture needed no other work. I popped my website in the spot at the top where that piece of treated lumber was, and the words “I’ve got My Eye on You, Cowboy!” along the side. Pink font just felt right for some reason. Again, contrast.
Black Angus Bull - Broken Ended Farms Bull's Eye!
~ ~ ~
Final tips:

Make sure you RENAME your creation when you’re done. You don’t want to override your original picture, and then have nothing to work with if you goof up.

Take your own pictures, purchase them, or at least make sure they are in creative commons. Get creative with your own shots. If you can shoot it, do it, then you can add your own website or name without concern.

Make sure you use proper grammar, check your spelling, and don’t leave words out. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing a meme on the internet with errors. No matter how cute or catchy, I will not share it.

Don’t just upload your masterpieces to Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Sometimes this is okay, but even better, upload them to your blog and then pin them to Pinterest from your webpage or blog. That way it’s linked back to you. Instagram is such an amazing place for memes of all kinds, and the cool apps on mobile phones makes it all so easy.

PicMonkey is a quick, free (there is a paid version*) way to create a little buzz, and when I first wrote this blog post, you had to create and finalize your meme in one sitting. In addition, once you edited and saved your photo, then logged out of your online PicMonkey profile, you couldn't go back and edit or rework your creation. However, that's changed. With the paid version, PicMonkey offers something called the Hub. With the Hub, you can start a project, save it to the hub, then go back later and work on it some more. This is really cool because it never fails that I find something I want to change about a project.

*PicMonkey has a free version, but there is also a $33 yearly paid membership that gives more options. Some of the tools that I've used in these pictures come with the paid membership. If you're unsure of how much you might use the site, then opt for the free version until you're sure.
Me? I knew I was going to enjoy it and signed up after about thirty minutes of playing. I hope you've enjoyed today's post as much as I enjoyed putting it together for you. Now, go out and have some fun with monkeys!

Next month I'm going to share about an app I have on my iPhone called Word Swag. I love, love, love Word Swag and it's my latest on-the-go, go-to design app that  I use on my PHONE for all kinds of stuff. Yes, I still use PicMonkey (and sometimes use both on the same project if needed), but PicMonkey is like going to a sit-down restaurant to dine. Word Swag is ... fast food. And I'll have some fast food tips on making Word Swag work for you on the fly. Psst... the first meme in today's post was made using Word Swag. It took minutes!

43 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. I create visuals for the preschoolers at church, and am now creating bookmarks and cards with my photos and photos of my watercolor paintings, but when it comes to memes I struggle.

    I hope everyone has a great day,

    I am leaving by 8 for a craft Rummage sale where I hope to sell my cards and bookmarks and a few rummage sale items I found around my house,

    I hope everyone has a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, Wilani!!!! I need you to blog about your bookmarks and cards. I find that fascinating. We could learn so much from you. I'll message you. :)

      Enjoy the rummage sale!

      Delete
    2. I would love to share how. I sold out on my cards today. the Bookmarks were also popular.

      I enjoyed today and had some success.

      Delete
  2. Wow, love this. That flag really popped in the after picture. I can't wait to try my hand at making memes. Thank you, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, I love these tips. This is such cool stuff, and you know I'm fairly helpless with it... but I'm sending Beth right over here to see all of this because I love it and she will too!!! :)

    I will bribe her with COOKIES.

    Which I also brought for all of us!!!!

    Cookies and Memes rock!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Beth will love it. And I can't wait to show y'all some tips for making Word Swag work for you. I wanted to show it in today's post, but realized it would be too much.

      Delete
  4. Pam, I remember when you first signed up with PicMonkey and told us about it! I went and signed up immediately and began using it. So easy. However, I never have been able to do as much as you do with it. I'm so glad you showed us how to do some things! I needed this tutorial. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of us enjoy playing with graphics more than others. My sister-in-law can spend hours practicing new techniques on the piano. While I'd love to be able to play, unfortunately I don't have the mindset, dedication or talent for it.

      But I can spend hours playing with graphics. I have limit myself. If I get started, a whole day is gone. Maybe not wasted, but definitely gone.

      Delete
  5. Pam, thank you! I remember the first time you posted PicMonkey info. I used the site a couple times and then had problems. Recently, I've been a fan of Canva. BUT, today, I'm giving PicMonkey another try. Love what you've created.

    Looking forward to the class next month on Word Swag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, some love Canva, others PicMonkey. Some people enjoy both for different reasons. I started using PicMonkey before I heard about Canva, and just never found the time to switch. From what I've heard, both have their pros and cons, so it's just a matter of what works best for you.

      Delete
  6. Thank you Pam! I have been wanting to create some memes and this has some wonderful tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it was helpful, Connie. If you spend a lot of time waiting here and there, or prefer your mobile device over a laptop/desktop, make sure to stop back for the Word Swag blog post. Word Swag and apps like it are the new "fast-food" version of graphics design, imo. :)

      Delete
  7. Ooo...what a great tutorial. Thanks, Pam. You have no idea how badly I need this type of information. So I will be referring to this often. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great info, Pam. I've never tried PicMonkey. All I know is many times when I try to create simple, it takes me two hours when it should take 5 minutes. I can't wait to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, I know what you mean. The simplest meme seems to take me forever. I will say that the more I do, the more I can settle for clean, crisp memes and not "fuss" so much.

      Delete
  9. I remember this post from 2013 so well because it changed my marketing life! I use Picmonkey for everything now, and I even pay for the upgraded version because I want the whole shebang.

    I use it for everything from editing photos (I don't post a photo until it's been Picmonkeyed) to memes. I also use it to design blocks that I insert into my newsletter and design ads for magazines.

    Thanks for sharing this great tool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd better go try it. It's free right?

      Delete
    2. Free...but addicting. Which is why I pay for the upgraded version...

      But you can have a lot of fun with the free version - no need to pay for anything, ever!

      Delete
    3. Jan, you're going to love Word Swag, then. I think the app is like $2.99. Totally worth it, imo. Mary, have fun playing! :)

      Delete
  10. Great tips. I would call myself a self-taught amateur designer as well. I taught myself Photoshop and have been doing digital scrapbook pages for almost 15 years. My skills were very useful all the years I worked at a church and had to come up with catchy posters for events and Bible studies too. In this day and age of visual everything, it's a good idea to have at least some basic skills. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, I had photoshop on an old computer and it just tortured me.
      I finally figure out how to ... do something. Switch a person from one picture to another. And it work. And then I did it again and it wouldn't work. I thought I remembered.
      And then my computer crashed and photoshop with it and I couldn't bring myself to buy it again.

      Delete
    2. Here's my question, Glynis, the LAYERS. I love those. I am always wanting to take some rather complex shape from one picture and paste it into another. Like for example a human body, or hair, like to change the hair color in a picture.
      But I just fail and fail and fail.
      So sad, frustrating. Mary the Failure strikes again.

      Delete
    3. Glynis, that's so cool about the scrapbooking. And it gave you the skills to create for your church. I remember years ago looking over someone's shoulder while they tried to create a newsletter to give out at VBS graduation. It was painful to watch and I just wanted to say, "please, please, PLEASE just let me do it!" lol

      Delete
    4. Mary, you can do a lot of that in PicMonkey... change hair color, features, add eyeliner, remove blemishes. It's a little ... okay, a lot ... harder to take a heavily made up woman and tone her makeup down.

      Delete
  11. I love PicMonkey! Thanks for this post, Pam. I need to work on my skills, I'm still pretty basic when it comes to creating my own graphics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten lax lately. Just pulled in so many directions, but I I love doing it. :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Pam:

    Wow!

    You sure delivered on your "something cool for Friday's post!"

    I have a few questions.

    On the top picture: I did not notice the copy in white at the bottom of the picture until I went back at the end of your post to see the Word Swag example. I'm not sure any color type would have improved things very much.

    Could you have put a mortise around this copy?

    That's what we do in advertising all the time.

    On the last church picture: could you have left the steeple black or made it darker? I think the big impact of the picture is the steeple and it really looks best in the first photo for impact. The last picture looks best in everything else.

    And now a request:

    To all designers, please make your copy easy to read. Copy that is hard to see and/or read will often not be read. Designers often look for pretty. Copywriters look for clarity of message.

    For example, the copy on the last CD ad is fancy but hard to see and hard to read.

    Designers look at ads up close and with their full attention. Customers see them in passing with a lot more on their minds. An ad may only get 2 seconds of attention before the reader moves on thinking it has nothing to say to them.

    The question often comes down to this:

    Do you want to win a designer award for your creation or do you want to sell product?

    Just something to think about.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vince, yes, Word Swag does offer some options to use contrasting backgrounds, making them transparent as needed, changing the colors, and I did briefly consider doing that. But it was time to post the blog and I didn't have time for a do over. :)

      Yes, the steeple would look great to stay black/dark, and I had so much fun (almost a peaceful feeling) working with that photo. The last picture ended up with an antiqued look, which I confess is something I love. I have to work really hard not to have every single thing I do not to be black and white or a daguerreotype image.

      It's always a challenge to get everything on a piece of advertising that needs to go on there without muddying the image. As you say, less is more, and that piece of PR had a lot going on. A simpler ad with a link to the details would probably be a better option.

      Delete
  13. Pam, I just love this. You really are an artist.
    I use canva.com and get good results but you do SO MUCH MORE and I think with basically the same tools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I'm sure that both PicMonkey and Canva offer much more than either of us are utilizing. But who has time to learn it all?

      Delete
  14. I should experiment with Pic Monkey. Maybe I'm limiting myself with canva.com. But I find it easy to use. And for me the techno-phobe, that is HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A recent discussion on FB had some who preferred Canva over PicMonkey. I think it's whichever one you learned first, because I imagine the options are similar for both. So if Canva works for you, I'd keep using it. :)

      Delete
  15. Also, and this could be a vision problem, my eyes aren't the best, but I never saw a car in that first 'steeple' picture. It's just not visible to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've considered taking shots of My Cowboy or even my daughters and sons-in-law for book covers.
    I've done some indie pubbed books and I find it shocking how HARD it is to find cover art.
    It's like the places that sell that are so busy being WEIRD they forget to just be NORMAL.
    Give me a normal looking cowboy please!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought the same thing, Mary. It's hard to find good historical-looking models. A photographer friend and I have talked about a photo-shoot with a bunch of young people from her church youth group. I wish we could do it some time this fall.

      Delete
  17. Pam, Thank you for sharing! I'm amazed at the creativity of those who do memes!

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caryl, me too! I've been watching so many cool memes and images on Instagram lately. Talk about being creative! :)

      Delete
  18. Sorry to be AWOL most of the afternoon. I had to babysit, then had to put up peas. Hubby decided to have a garden this year. Sigh. We'll be glad for the veggies this winter and have been enjoying fresh peas, corn, okra, and tons of squash this summer, but it's sure cut into my "work" time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've always wondered how memes were created. Thanks for a post full of helpful information!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fascinating post, Pam! I'm so tech-challenged that I haven't tried anything like this, but one of these days, I might give it a go! You make it look so easy. Thanks for all this info!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. I’d love to be where you are today. I’m a bit challenged in the world of technology and recently learned what memes are, thanks to my teenagers. One day, I’ll brave this new world.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."