Friday, July 12, 2019

Five Things I've Learned About Faith By Writing Fiction with guest Janice Cantore

(special shout-out to Beth Erin who made this awesome banner)

Years ago, when I started writing fiction, besides writing good stories, I wanted to draw people to the message of the gospel, the Good News. I had an aunt who would read novels, but she would never pick up the Bible. I figured that there are a lot of people like my aunt, so I hoped the message in my novels would make such people think, would make them want to pick up a Bible and look inside. The stories were the vehicle to witness, to share the hope within.

I’ve been writing novels since 2006, and along the way writing to inspire others has inspired me. These are five things I’ve learned about faith by writing fiction. 

  1. Faith can seem impossible. How can you believe in something or someone you can’t see? Several of my characters struggle with this question. The heavens are vast, and no one has ever seen God—how can He really be there? God is in the vastness of the universe as much as He is in a single blade of grass. “In Him we live and move and have our being” (Acts 17:28, NIV). Recognizing that the complexity of the world requires a Creator and not blind chance makes faith possible.  

  2. Faith is hard. Once you take the step to say, yes, I believe, life often comes down like a ton of bricks. Another character question: How can He be a good God when there is so much suffering? God never promised a life of ease in this world. It’s fallen. “In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world” (John 16:33, ESV). It’s hard to believe, to have faith, when you witness acts of evil or you suffer loss or great pain, but there’s really no other choice. Faith tells you that the evil has been overcome and good will be victorious in the end.  

  3. Faith is easy. The joy that comes with embracing the Savior fills a person’s heart to overflowing. When one of my characters stops fighting and starts resting in the promises that he or she has come to believe in, then the burdens become the Lord’s, and yes, faith is easy. “For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:30, NIV). Knowing there is help, that you are not in this hard, harsh world alone, makes faith easy. 

  4. Faith is essential. This is a fallen world, and a person wrapped up in it is easily given to despair. My main characters are all police officers. Police see the worst that humanity has to offer. It’s easy to begin to believe that everyone is wicked, evil, depraved. Faith is essential to change the focus of your mind: “Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things” (Philippians 4:8, ESV). Faith gives us the promise of a better world, a perfect world, in eternity.  

  5. Faith is a shield. Nobody gets out of this world without being hurt, betrayed, run over . . . my characters have faced it all. They’ve also been in mortal peril and seen ones they love in life-threatening situations. Whatever we face, faith is a shield against the worst life can throw at us. Because faith tells us that God never lets us go, that we are always safe in His loving hand, no matter what. “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16, ESV). Jesus died for us, and faith in His sacrifice is an impenetrable shield.   

 
What about you?
What have you learned about faith from writing (or reading) fiction?
Which of Janice's points most resonated with you?


Join the conversation in the comments! Thanks to Janice Cantore and Tyndale House, one commenter (US only) will win a copy of Cold Aim!
 
Police Chief Tess O’Rourke’s small town is still reeling from a devastating fire when the FBI asks for help: Could she shelter a witness in a high-profile human trafficking case? Initially reluctant to put the townspeople of Rogue’s Hollow at risk, Tess is swayed after she sees Pastor Oliver Macpherson’s genuine conviction to rescue those in need, a trait in him she’s coming to love more each day.

Tess’s fledgling faith is tested when crews of workmen from out of town come in to assist with the fire cleanup and she worries that one of these strangers might shine a light on things best kept hidden. Neither she nor Oliver knows that Rogue’s Hollow is already home to a suspect from a twenty-five-year-old murder case . . . and someone is taking cold aim at those Tess is sworn to protect.



 
 Janice Cantore is a retired Long Beach police officer who now writes suspense novels. Her twenty-two years of experience on the force lend authenticity to her stories. She has penned eleven romantic suspense novels: the Line of Duty series, the Cold Case Justice series, the Pacific Coast Justice series, Critical Pursuit, and Visible Threat. Crisis Shot and Lethal Target are the first two books in the Line of Duty series, which wraps up with Cold Aim (July 2019). 

 Visit Janice at her website, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.

29 comments:

  1. Janice, so good to see you here! Thanks for coming by... and I love your inside view of how suspense goes down and how first responders react. That's a true inside tract!

    I brought coffee... And thank you to you and Tyndale for a great giveaway!

    We absolutely appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Janice, and thank you for these points. It is so important to keep our focus on Him -- and our characters' focus. (focuses? Foci? Where is Grammar Queen these days?) My people run through a range of needs, from not trusting God because they were abandoned by a parent to not trusting God because they don't want to give up control to not trusting God because they feel they'll never be good enough for Him. All broken, but all broken in different ways. I had to go really deep on a couple of contemporaries, not yet sold, and I learned some uncomfortable truths about myself. Probably could have learned them from one of my pastor's sermons, or in therapy, but this way I at least get a book out of it. My big one is surrender of control and I have two contemporary female characters who built up their lives out of nothing and don't dare to let go. Until of course they do.
    Janice, this is a keeper.
    Kathy Bailey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't it such a great post?!? "I learned some uncomfortable truths about myself" - oo ouch. that stings a bit, doesn't it? But in the end so freeing.

      Delete
  3. Welcome, Janice! And thanks for a great post!

    I agree with your motivation for writing - to inspire people to think about faith and search further for answers. Jesus himself was the example of how powerful stories can be when teaching people about God. :-)

    And Cold Aim looks fabulous! I'm putting it on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janice, welcome back! Thanks for this great post. I love your 5 things. I love the contrast of "faith is hard" and "faith is easy."

    I've learned a lot along my faith journey through my writing. God uses my stories to teach ME!

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way! For those who have been asking, I added a print button so you can print and keep your favorite posts easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appears you have to click on the title of the post to make the button show up for each post (at the bottom with the social media buttons and the comment button).

      Delete
  6. “Faith is essential” really resonate with me. Thanks for the giveaway.
    mindyhoung AT msn DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it did me too - thanks for commenting, Mindy!

      Delete
  7. Reading about faith in fiction reminds me that not everyone has it but everyone needs it. It’s a positive tool that you are using in your writing.
    perrianne(DOT)askew(AT)me(DOT)com
    Perrianne Askew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "not everyone has it but everyone needs it" - so true!

      Delete
  8. Great post, Janice. Your book looks really good. Please put me in the drawing.

    Faith is a central element in the book I'm writing in which a town, including a beloved old church, is destroyed by a tornado.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post, Janice! Faith is a shield is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I also know people like your aunt, and reaching people like that is one of my goals as a writer, too! As for what I've learned--I think it's that sometimes faith means tying a knot in your rope and holding on tight until the darkness lifts. During a particularly hard time when we were facing some medical uncertainties with my son, I remember telling somebody in my church small group that I felt like I was just clutching Jesus' ankle for dear life--and she said--well, the good thing is-- from that position when you look up, all you can see is Him!
    Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have always loved to read but as I get older, I do choose to read fiction that helps me stay close to my beliefs. I don't have to worry about suggestive remarks or explicit scenes and I can still live in my fantasy world for awhile. But, I do think that Christian fiction also helps me understand the struggles of others and the ways that we all can deal with what life throws at us.
    Janice, thank you for writing what I so love to read and I would love to be entered in your book giveaway!
    Blessings to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, I'm so glad you've found your favorite book in Christian fiction.

      Delete
  12. Great post, Janice!!! Faith is hard especially with all the struggles called life. Thanks for your wonderful stories!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic post, Janice! I ask Holy Spirit to impart to me God-like faith.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Janice, thanks for sharing this post. I've just finished reading Cold Aim, and I quite enjoyed it. You have a beautiful way of pulling a reader into the story, but those faith aspects are definitely present throughout the entire novel. :) I like when stories highlight the raw emotion that goes along with the revelation that a character has been believing something about God that isn't true and repents of that belief, and stories that aren't preachy yet don't shy away from sharing Scripture or the challenges of living a life for Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reading Christian fiction restores my faith. It reminds me that the troubles I might face are just temporary bumps in the road!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."