Monday, September 23, 2019

How to Know if a Conference Was Successful



ACFW Conference is on the horizon! Friends, learning, meetings, laughter, food, and so much more!

I love going to writing conferences. I love seeing people I know, making new friends, sitting in classes learning from great teachers, making memories.

But face it, going to writing conferences isn't cheap. Money for the hotel, money for the conference, travel. For some it means taking time off from work, finding childcare, dog-sitters, etc.

Once you've poured out all that time and money, gone to the conference, done all the things, and get back home, you'll no doubt spend a bit of time reflecting on the experience, and quite possibly wondering if it was worth it. Did you get enough bang for your buck(s)?

The answer to that is: It depends. (I know, how frustrating!)

But it's true. The answer to whether a writing conference was "worth it" depends upon several factors, not the least of which is "What were your expectations going into the conference?"

(In an aside, I wrote an entire post on managing expectations, and it can be found HERE. Go ahead and read it, I'll wait. :) )

Welcome back! :) So, if the key to a successful conference is managing your expectations, then what are realistic expectations when it comes to conferences?

I have two generic expectations that, if fulfilled, guarantee for me that a conference was a success.


1. Make at least one new friend.

One of the things I LOVE about attending ACFW is getting to hang with my friends that I only see maybe once a year (or even less frequently if we don't happen to both go to the conference.) I love catching up, sharing industry and life news, laughing our heads off, and just being 'us.'

But if I only engage with the friends I already have, I am not only limiting myself, but I'm excluding people, too. So, at each conference, I make it a point of emphasis to meet at least one new friend. The opportunities are boundless at the conference.

Barbour authors treated to a Mississippi River Boat Cruise at
the ACFW Conference in St. Louis Left: Rose McCauley and
Jennifer Johnson Right: Ramona Cecil and Keli Gwyn


You might be thinking, "I have a hard time making friends. I won't know what to say."

Here's the magic, door-opening key to friendship at a conference. Find someone who is not currently talking to anyone else, smile, and ask them "So, what do you write?"

Presto! Instant friend. You get to bypass excruciating small talk and go right to the heart of writer friendships! And be a good listener. Exchange info so you can continue the friendship through social media, email, etc.

2. Learn something new.

No writer knows it all, no matter how many conferences they've attended, how many classes they've gone to, how many books they've written. Be humble enough to realize it, and to be willing to learn.

Pepper Basham and our own Audra Harders, no doubt all
primed to learn something new in one of the classes.
(Also probably getting up to some serious hi-jinks.)


You might learn this new thing during the key-note address, during an agent panel, during a class. Perhaps you might learn a new thing by listening to other writers talk about their experiences or what they just discussed with their agent or editor.

You might even learn something new from a brand new author friend. :)

If I accomplish those two goals, make at least one new friend and learn at least one new thing, then I consider the conference a success.

Now, there are some specific goals you might have for a conference, and those are not wrong, but don't hang the success or failure of the conference on those specific goals, because so much of what happens around those goals is out of your control.

Some specific goals you might have are:

1. Meet with a certain agent/editor.

If you sign up for appointments, you may or may not get the agent or editor appointment of your choice. If you don't get your 15 minutes with Agent X, does that mean your conference was a failure and you might as well not have gone?

Me with my lovely agent, Rachelle
Gardner of Books & Such Literary


If this is the case for you, I suggest you're expectations are not realistic. Which agent or editor you meet with is out of your control. Perhaps you got a meeting with an agent that isn't anywhere on your radar. You can still have a successful encounter, learn something, get your face, name, and story in front of an industry professional. You don't know what might come out of it. I have a couple of friends who said, "I don't think I could ever work with Agent So-and-so." But then they were 'forced' into a meeting with them, and they hit it off! God is bigger than your expectations, so let Him work!

If you already have an agent and/or editor, you will most likely have meetings with them at some point. You can make these successful by being prepared. Have your questions and topics ready for discussion. Perhaps even have a little gift for them? A memento of your friendship/business relationship?

2. Get a book contract

Um, contracts given out at conferences are so rare as to be mythical. (Exception: Both Mary Connealy and I received our first contracts at the ACFW Conference, but that was special circumstances. Barbour Publishing used to hold a contract or two each year and award it to a first-time author that they were going to contract anyway. Our proposals had been on the editor's desk for awhile. They already knew us and our work.) You're not going to 'cold call' an editor in an appointment and have them whip out a contract and fistfuls of cash after a 15 minute session. Put those thoughts away, because if you're flying in such rarefied air, you're going to come crashing down.

Michelle Ule, Editor Rebecca Germany, me, and Liz Johnson on
the day we found out our novella collection, Log Cabin
Christmas, hit the New York Times Best-seller list! 

Rather than expect a book contract, perhaps lower your expectations to meeting some industry professionals, find out what they are like and what they are looking for, and where your work might be a good fit. Information in the writing industry is nearly as important as sheer talent and hard work. Gather all that free information just lying around waiting for someone to snatch it up at a conference.

3. Win an award.

If you're not nominated for an award, you can probably stop expecting to win one, but if you ARE nominated for an award, it's hard not to begin to think that if you don't win, what was the point of going to the conference?

Isn't he the handsomest? Peter and I just outside the
ball room in Nashville, two weeks after his surgery and
the diagnosis that changed our lives!


As someone who has been up for a Carol Award and more than one Genesis Award and not won, it can be...deflating. But as someone who has won both a Carol and a Genesis, while both are fabulous, and I was thrilled, humbled, and grateful to have won, those aren't the things I remember most about those particular conferences. I remember the relationships, the sharing of the anticipation with the other finalists, the fact that my husband was able to join me at the banquet just two weeks after massive cancer surgery. Sitting next to Mary Connealy for one of the funniest (and LONGEST) acceptance speeches ever.

Picture
The 2016 Carol Awards. Sitting with dear friends and sharing
the experience with them made the night extra-special.

Whether you win or not, the conference experience is about the people. Remember for every winner, there are folks who did not win.  Whichever side of that equation you fall on, your gratitude and humility will be fondly remembered. Go to the awards ceremony expecting to make great memories and let the chips fall where they may.


Have you been to writing conferences before? What determines whether a conference is a success to you?



Best-selling, award-winning author Erica Vetsch loves Jesus, history, romance, and sports. She’s a transplanted Kansan now living in Minnesota, and she is married to her total opposite and soul mate! When she’s not writing fiction, she’s planning her next trip to a history museum and cheering on her Kansas Jayhawks and New Zealand All Blacks.

You can connect with her at her website, www.ericavetsch.com where you can read about her books and sign up for her newsletter, and you can find her at online https://www.facebook.com/EricaVetschAuthor/
where she spends way too much time!




Journey along in the Old West as four women travel to meet their husbands-to-be and discover that nothing is as it was planned. Eve’s fiancĂ© is in jail. Amelia’s fiancĂ© has never heard of her. Zola’s newlywed husband is dead. Maeve’s travel is misdirected. Can these brides can find a true love match?


The Galway Girl by Erica Vetsch
Kansas, 1875
A mail-order mix-up sends Irish lass Maeve O’Reilly to the Swedish community of Lindsborg, Kansas. Will Kaspar Sandberg consider it a happy accident or a disaster to be rectified as soon as possible?


You can order your copy of Mail-Order Mishaps today by clicking HERE.

24 comments:

  1. Guess who's the first one to post today? Coffee, tea and Pumpkin Pie Muffins.
    Shout-out to Rhonda Starnes, who got a contract!
    Conferences. I went to ACFW Nashville last year in part because I was up for a Genesis. I got there after a series of mishaps and found more than I was looking for: new friendships, virtual friendships enhanced in person, solid teaching on craft, up-to-date market information, and a spiritual atmosphere. (I spent a fair amount of time in the prayer room.) By the time Saturday night approached, I could honestly say I didn't care about winning because of all the above -- I had already won. BTW, I won anyway. BTW II, the story I won with still isn't contracted, talk about managing expectations. It is all about seeing what GOD has for you and rolling with that.
    Much to do to get ready for San Antonio, may be back later.
    Kathy Bailey
    Kaybee on a roll

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy San Antonio, Kaybee! I wish I was going so we could meet in person!

      Delete
    2. What a wild ride you've had over the past seasons! Congrats on the Genesis, congrats on the release of your book, congrats on navigating the challenges!

      Delete
  2. Great post, Erica! And so well timed. :-)

    I don't get to go to many conferences (that expense factor is heightened when the local airport is a "secondary market") but I can't say enough about how valuable the ones I've attended have been!

    There is nothing that comes close to face-to-face meetings with my editors and agents. Emails and phone calls are all right, but spending time talking in person is all-important. That alone makes the conference worth while.

    And the people! Names you have only seen on Facebook or on blogs become friends. I agree with your strategy - walk up to someone who is standing alone and say hello. You never know who you might meet!

    Enjoy your conference and your time with Peter! (In fact, that conference in Nashville after Peter's surgery is where I met him for the first time!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks, Jan! We enjoy going to the conferences together. We make a vacation out of it.

      I'm so glad he was able to come to Nashville. That was a much needed break from our recent realities!

      Delete
  3. I've not made it to any writer's conference yet, but I think these are wonderful tips and expectations. Maybe some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, start small. Local conferences are a good way to break the ice. There are lots of daylong workshops you might find. The same expectations can apply...meet a new friend, learn something new. :)

      Delete
  4. Great post, Erica. I have been to the Wordsowers Writers Conference in Omaha. In fact, that is where I met you. So I did meet new friends. :) I am hoping to get to ACFW in St. Louis next year. It is only a 9 hour drive so at least that part is easy. I will keep your tips in mind if I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Wordsowers is such a nice conference! Hopefully you can attend ACFW. Having a conference within driving distance can be so helpful, both to the logistics and the budget.

      Delete
  5. Such wisdom, Erica!! I love these thoughts, especially about not being let down by not winning an award. Conferences are so much more!

    You know at one of my first writing conferences, an author, Patricia McLinn, saw me being a wallflower (I was SO nervous!!). She came over and took me under her wing. She said she always made sure to meet 4 new people at every conference, so I've been trying to keep her mindset ever since.

    Thanks for this great post! I'm heading out to ACFW on Wednesday. I could use prayers for my foot, which was somehow injured on Friday night while walking several blocks! I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, praying for your foot. Hopefully it's nothing serious!

      Meet 4 new people...that's a great goal for conference, and I'm glad you're carrying on Patricia's example!

      See you soon!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing this post Erica. Just last week I saw the line up of classes and speakers for ACFW and thought, Wow. That's the conference I need to be at! But then when I started figuring out costs for flights, accomodations (plus I have to get my passport renewed), it turned out to be beyond my budget for this year. BUT I hope to attend a future event and now that I know the cost, I'll try to jump in early and get the discounted rate. :) When I was working full time, I quite enjoyed going to industry conferences and learning the latest techniques to use. I'm quite shy in large crowds so networking is difficult for me, but I can see how your tip will come in useful in a writers conference! Have fun at the conference and I hope we'll get to hear about it in a future post. Lee-Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee-Ann, start saving!! We'd love to see you at a conference sometime! It's so fun to finally meet online friends in person. :)

      Delete
  7. Waving at Erica! My Barbour Contract buddy!!!!
    I can't wait to see you! I'll be at ACFW, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how our writing journeys have run along the same paths in a lot of areas. :) God is neat like that!

      Delete
  8. Hi Erica:

    I have a very simple test for determining if a conference was a success:

    If after I get back I honestly believe that the conference was worth the time and expense that it cost, then it was a success. To the degree that a conference exceeds that estimate, to that same degree the conference was an even greater success.

    I believe that your points about adding value by having specific goals, like meeting a new friend, are extremely helpful in making any conference a success.

    A conference is like going into a gold mine. The gold may be hard to find and harder to dig out. There may also be more fools gold than the real thing. Knowing where to look for the biggest nuggets and how to recognize them when you see them is a skill which greatly increases the value of any conference -- on any topic and not just writing.

    There is a saying in scientific discovery that luck favors the prepared. Learn as many ways to uncover the nuggets and you'll come home more enriched.

    BTW: I enjoyed all the happy photos. Many look like women that are delighted not to be home doing housework and child care and husband maintained. Not a forced smile among the lot.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty easy to be happy-looking when you're with friends you only see once a year or so! :)

      Also, the analogy of the gold mine is a good one. The treasure's there, if you know where to look and how to work.

      Delete
  9. Wish I could be joining you at this year's conference. Have fun and post pics! See you in 2020, for sure!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, it'll be so strange to be at a conference without you there. :( We'll have to drive up together next year!

      Delete
    2. Debby, we will miss you! :( Seeker parties are always more fun when you're there!

      Delete
  10. Looks like an enjoyable time. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, hopefully we'll see you at a conference sometime soon! :)

      Delete
  11. Erica, your tips are great for conference expectations. Making friends and learning something new are perfect goals. I've been to a couple of fantastic regional conferences, but never a national one. Someday!

    For ACFW members, there is an At-Home conference which gives us stay-at-homes an alternative. We meet new online friends as well as learn through the class offerings. I don't think it's too late to sign up...go to loop archives, September 2, and search for At-Home Conference for information.

    To everyone headed to San Antonio, safe travels and enjoy your conference time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Erica, AWESOME tips! Can't wait to see you at ACFW :)

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."