Wednesday, October 2, 2019

A Time of Refreshment

by Mindy Obenhaus
No matter what our call is in life, no matter what our job, sometimes we need to be refreshed. To breakaway from the daily grind and recharge. For me, the American Christian Fiction Writers annual conference is my happy place. Writing can be a lonely endeavor, so ACFW is an opportunity to gather with old friends, meet new ones, recharge my writerly soul and come away refreshed and eager to dive back into my writing.

This year’s conference was held just hop, skip and a jump down the road from me in beautiful San Antonio, Texas. Our hotel was right on the Riverwalk and our room faced the historic Alamo.

You gotta look hard, 
right behind that tree you can see the Alamo's familiar arch.
This year’s conference was smaller in attendance, but HUGE when it came to learning. At least, in my opinion. So I thought I’d share few of my favorite moments from the conference.
Keynote Speaker, Frank Peretti –

Frank emphasized the fact that we write about redemption. Of course, it was done in his unique, oft hilarious, manner. Yet he always cut to the chase—Christ crucified is the foundation for all we do because it provides a point to all we do. Jesus was a storyteller, not a preacher. We are storytellers, too. Sharing stories of hope that point readers to Christ.

Workshops –

With Frank having set the spiritual tone, I headed to Rachel Hauck’s workshop, Revelation of Jesus in Fiction. I love listening to Rachel speak about the spiritual aspect of our writing. She makes it real and this class dovetailed so well with what Frank had said. Rachel talked about impacting hearts not by being preachy or quoting scripture in our books, but by being creative and having the fragrance of Christ. Using metaphors or symbolism to share the gospel. Jesus used parables to convey His message, He didn’t beat people over the head. Granted, our books are much longer, but how can we tell those stories in not only a way that will hold the reader’s attention, but will point them toward Jesus, perhaps without ever using His name? We have to think outside the box and get creative. Remember, if God called you, He will equip you.

Another wonderful workshop was presented by Karen Witemeyer and it was geared toward guarding our writers’ hearts from those flaming darts of the enemy. Things like discouragement, pride, envy, greed, doubt and burnout. Things that seek to derail us from what God has called us to do. Karen provided Biblical weaponry to combat those attacks so we can seize the victory. 

Do you ever feel discouraged? Remind yourself that God “took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners He called you. He said, ‘You are my servant; I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.’” (Isaiah 41:9-10)

Friends and Villagers –

I love making new friends, but thanks to the advent of the internet, we sometimes feel as though we know someone before we ever actually meet them. Such is the case when I get to meet those of you from Seekerville.
I "knew" Sherrinda Ketchersid from Seekerville, 
but it was such a treat to finally see her in person.

While I've known Missy, Tina and Sharee for years, 
I was excited to congratulate Connie Queen on her recent contract.
Our own Kathy Bailey and Sharon Simms can light up a room with their smiles.
And getting to see my fellow Seekers is always a treat.
Me, Missy, Mary and the lovely Georgiana Daniels.
No matter what our calling, refreshment is important to our well-being. Without it, we burn out. It doesn’t have to be a big conference, though. It can be lunch with a friend or simply time alone, doing something you love.

What are some of your favorite ways to refresh and energize yourself? And no, coffee doesn't count. ;-) What do you treat yourself to in order to renew your vigor?


Three-time Carol Award nominee, Mindy Obenhaus, writes contemporary romance for Love Inspired Books. She’s passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren at her Texas ranch. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com

48 comments:

  1. I guess I don’t treat myself other than to curl up with a book when I’m not busy. Thank you for sharing your wonderful time. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, curling up with a book is always a treat. A great way to escape and recharge wherever you are.

      Delete
    2. I love to curl up with a good book! I need to do that right now. I have book club coming up in a a week and haven't started the book!

      Delete
  2. Refreshment is not a word in my vocabulary, it seems :) I spend time with my family, read, watch too much tv. I don't get away enough, I think. Not much of a traveler.

    Love your photos from the conference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, you don't have to go somewhere to refresh yourself. Just do something out of the ordinary. Perhaps something you enjoy, but don't do often enough.

      Delete
    2. Glynis, watching TV does refresh me. :)

      Delete
  3. Mindy, ah, what a time we had. I was hopped-up on cold medication, so am taking very little responsibility for what I did/said. I enjoyed seeing the Seekers and the Alley Cats, went to some good classes, and got one decent agent request.
    Combined it with a vacation with my husband, so I was juggling ACFW, sightseeing and a cold. Somehow it all got done.
    There were surreal moments, such as when Debbie Macomber sat down at my breakfast table (see Facebook). I don't get all fan-girl with the Seekers because I've known you so long, or even with ACFW regulars like Rachel or Brandilyn, we're all there for the same reason, but I did freak out when Debbie Macomber sat down at my table, stuck out her hand and said, "Hi, I'm Debbie." I managed a croaking, "I know who you are, you signed a cookbook for me last year." ANYTHING can happen at ACFW.
    I'm on Pam Thibodeaux's blog today. www.pamswildroseblog. blogspot.com, and with Kelly Goshorn tomorrow, Romancing History, and also have my first-ever library talk tonight. Fortunately it's my home library, so they were okay with the request for only blue and green M&Ms in the dressing room, but You Never Know. There's also That Pesky Day Job, which I need to get back to now.
    May be back later,
    Still your Kaybee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I had a friend whose dog had gotten into some poison ivy and passed it onto my friend right before conference. So, she came to conference jazzed on steroids. Said it was the best conference ever. She wasn't nervous about pitching or anything. She simply had a good time. And came away with editor/agent requests. So don't discount the cold meds. That is, unless they put you in a fog. But you were fine. I love that picture of you and Sharon.

      And I hear you on Debbie Macomber. She and I ended up in the elevator together a lot last year and I was so excited when she called me by name. Didn't matter that I was wearing a name badge, Debbie Macomber said my name. LOL! She really is a neat, down-to-earth lady.

      Will try to pop on over to your blog post later.

      Delete
    2. Kathy - "I was hopped-up on cold medication, so am taking very little responsibility for what I did/said." - made me laugh out loud!

      I had a similar experience with Debbie Macomber last year at ACFW and had to remind myself to speak and not just stare at her LOL

      Delete
    3. I must've missed Debbie Macomber! I probably did and just didn't know who I was talking too.

      Delete
    4. Connie, you would have known her by the adoring fans pointing and lining up behind her. ;)

      Delete
    5. Kathy, you're so funny! You know, I heard you were sick but I never could tell. You did well covering it up!

      Delete
  4. Mindy, congratulations on your new contract! Saw it on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about the inspiration from Frank as well as the fantastic workshops. I learned a lot!

    Love the photos, too! I may have to steal some. :) I didn't have a copy of one I'm in. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, Missy, we don't steal. You can definitely borrow, though. ;)

      Delete
  6. Hi Missy - I would LOVE to attend an ACFW conference sometime, but I'll really have to save my pennies for a future event. I watched the awards ceremony on the live Facebook feed (maybe they can do that with future sessions???). Thanks for posting photos.

    My happy place is our trailer. It doesn't matter where we land, it's the one place I'm able to de-stress and unplug (and catch up on reading!). I love the focused time we have to spend together making new family memories, and spending time in God's creation.

    Lee-Ann B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee-Ann, I love that they have the live feed for the awards ceremony. That way everyone can learn the winners in real time. I think it would be logistical nightmare to attempt to do that for the sessions, though.

      You trailer sounds like a lovely retreat. Best of all, it can go almost anywhere or nowhere at all.

      Delete
  7. OOPS! It was "Mindy" I meant to write...lol But Missy was there too - so I guess that's okay. ;P

    Lee-Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, no worries. Try having Missy, Mindy and Mary all together. Oh, and Missy and I roomed together, too. We didn't mix each other up, though. ;)

      Delete
    2. LOL, Mindy! Yeah, since I have a sister named Mindy, I usually answer to both names anyway. :)

      Delete
  8. I had a great time at the conference, too, Mindy. And it was great meeting you! And Missy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Connie. It was great to meet you, too.

      Delete
    2. Connie, it was so fun to finally see you in person!

      Delete
  9. The only time I get to see you is at conference Mindy so that's a wonderful aspect of the trips! I must admit, when I need downtime, I love to Netflix binge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharee, I don't even know what that looks like. What do you watch?

      Delete
    2. Sharee, we've binged a few shows on Netflix/ Hulu too!

      Delete
  10. I loved living vicariously through all of your photos last week, and thank you, Mindy, for this recap of ACFW! When I need to veg or take a break, I turn to my spinning wheel or knitting. It's very zen and gives my mind a break from the kind of thinking we do when we write. Or, I'm like Sharee and give Netflix a binge but usually I save that for time with hubby when we can watch something after the kiddos are in bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A spinning wheel? Now that's something you don't hear everyday, Laurie. But I can see how it would be one of those things you just do without having to think the way you do with writing.

      Delete
    2. Laurie, knitting is relaxing for me, too. However I've never gotten good at it, so it takes all my focus when I'm doing it. It's been ages since I worked on my scarf I started years ago while writing a book with a knit shop. :)

      Delete
  11. Thank you SO much for sharing the highlights of the conference with us! Those workshops sound amazing. I wish I could have attended. I've learned so much from other writers! BTW, your outfits are so cute!! I just want to hug you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could have been there, too, Jill. Next year, my friend. Next year.

      Delete
    2. Jill, we missed seeing you there!

      Delete
  12. Fun post, Mindy. I am really planning to make it work out that I can go next year. Since it is in St. Louis where my sister lives and only a 9 hour drive, I think I have to do it. I really want to meet all the Seekers who attend. Like you said, I feel like I already know everyone even if we haven't met.

    My best way to recharge is to curl up and read or to watch TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I'm so glad you may make it next year!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I hope you do get to go to next year's conference, Sandy. I would love to meet you in person.

      Delete
  13. This year's conference was the best! I sure enjoyed spending time with you, dear friend <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgiana, It was so nice to see you again!

      Delete
    2. Always a pleasure to hang out with you, Georgiana. I just wish there was more time.

      Delete
  14. I'm a day late, but I couldn't agree more, Mindy. it was a depth-filled conference with the teaching and with Frank Peretti's message. I gleaned a lot of perspective from those who are much further along on this journey. And God always has a way of showing up and speaking truth to my heart. He definitely did that this year.

    And I loved meeting Kathy Bailey face-to-face. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meetings with God and meetings with friends, right, Jeanne? Those are the best things about ACFW.

      Delete
    2. Jeanne, it was great to see you again!

      Delete
    3. Yes, Mindy, so true! And, Missy, it was so good to see you again too! I should have thought to snag a picture. :)

      Delete
  15. Thanks for sharing this, Mindy. I had such a good time at RWA when it was in San Antonio. I would have loved to have revisited it for ACFW. Alas, work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing your pictures and allowing us to live vicariously through them!

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."