Friday, October 18, 2019

An Inspiring Mother-Daughter Story

Missy Tippens


It’s a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you’re ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There’s almost no such thing as ready. There’s only now. And you may as well do it now. 
-- Hugh Laurie, English actor, musician, and comedian


I loved that quote. And it reminded me of someone I met the week before last...



I recently attended the ACFW and Moonlight & Magnolias Conferences and was inspired by great workshops, time with writer friends, and conversations with writers I met for the first time.


At the M&M Conference, while waiting for an appointment, I met Crystal Ramos and noticed by the ribbons under her name tag that she was a finalist for the Maggie Award (unpublished). In the discussion, she mentioned her mother being at the conference with her. I commented on how fun that was that they had writing in common. So she filled me in on their story...


Crystal's mom, Colleen Baxter, used to write many years ago. Crystal has memories of waking during the night to go get a glass of water and seeing her mom at her computer writing. It didn't happen just once or twice, it was her mom's routine, part of her dream of publishing. Her mom eventually attended a writing conference and came home excited that an editor was interested in her work. Crystal says she doesn't know exactly what happened, but because of some family conflict, her mom never followed up with that editor and she quit writing altogether. So when Crystal decided she wanted to start writing, she knew she might be on her own and might not find 100% support, just like her mom hadn't had support. She also knew that if she ever got The Call, it wouldn't feel right to get that call before her mom did.


But Crystal started writing anyway. The third book she wrote finaled in The Daphne. She decided to attend her very first conference, the 2018 RWA conference. She was blown away by the support and encouragement of other writers and knew it was time to heal an old wound.
Colleen and Crystal (and Crystal's son)

She went home and told her mom she was going to pay for her to go to the Moonlight and Magnolias conference that year and that she should have a book ready to go. So her mom began writing again. She kicked it in gear and wrote an historical romance novel in 6 weeks. Though it was too late to enter the Maggie Awards in 2018, Colleen did attend the M&M conference with Crystal. And though she didn't feel ready to pitch her story (we all know how scary that can be!), Colleen ended up revising it and entering it (along with two other stories!) in the 2019 Maggies.


And guess what. Both Crystal and Colleen finaled in the 2019 Maggie Awards! Yes, Colleen also wore that finalist ribbon at this conference she attended with her daughter.


Crystal, who finaled again in The 2019 Daphne, is still working to find a publisher but got requests at the conference. Colleen has decided to indie publish a three-book sci-fi series next year.


As Crystal told me their story, I was so moved I nearly cried. What a wonderful thing to encourage your mother like that. Now, she has no worries about having a writing career without her mom. They're on this journey together!




I hope this story will inspire y'all to encourage someone you know, to help them hold on to their dreams. Like the Laurie quote above said, we may not feel ready, but the time is now.


I'd like to give a big thank you to Crystal and Colleen for letting me share their story with Seekerville!


Today, I had also planned to talk about story ideas. We had a blog reader email to ask us about where we get story ideas, and whether ideas can be copyrighted. But I think I'm going to save that for a future post to have space to go into more detail.


So, for today, let's hear your inspirational stories of how someone encouraged you, or how God gave you a boost when you were ready to give up. Or maybe you have given up at one time or another. Tell us your story. And if you need encouragement, please let us know so we can help. We want to support you!


As I promised in the Weekend Edition blurb, I'll be giving away a dot journal! (U.S. entrants this time). Please let me know in the comments if you'd like to be entered. Let's chat!

**********


After more than 10 years of pursuing her dream of publication, Missy Tippens, a pastor’s wife and mom of three from near Atlanta, Georgia, made her first sale to Harlequin Love Inspired in 2007. Her books have since been nominated for the Booksellers Best, Holt Medallion, American Christian Fiction Writers Carol Award, Gayle Wilson Award of Excellence, Maggie Award, Beacon Contest, RT Reviewer’s Choice Award, and the Romance Writers of America RITA® Award. Visit Missy at www.missytippens.com, https://twitter.com/MissyTippens and http://www.facebook.com/missy.tippens.readers.

19 comments:

  1. Welcome everyone! I've put on the coffee and hot tea this morning, so help yourselves! And I've even brought Diet Dr. Pepper for those of us who sometimes indulge in that in morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inspiring story! Thanks for sharing it Missy.
    I was having a major self-doubting week a few weeks ago. Hadn't heard from any writing contests I'd entered and my full request manuscript had been in an editor's mailbox for months. I really did feel like giving up. Then when I couldn't get any lower, I received an email saying my entry was a finalist. Two days later I received comments back from the editor who'd asked for my full MS. She passed on the story but invited a future project when ready (along with a list of positives and things to fix - I wrote them out on index cards and posted them beside my computer for those days I need reminding). Talk about God's timing and encouragement. He gives us the stories to write and will open the doors when it's in His time. :)
    I've gleaned so much from Seekerville, not only on the craft of writing but in finding encouragement to persevere. It's not an easy road, but the Seekers give me hope that SOMEDAY. :)
    Blessings to you all!
    Lee-Ann B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee-Ann, my "someday" came last month and the Seekers cheered me on until I got there. Don't give up. It's a crazy business right now, but it's equally crazy for the multi-published and the newly-published (me). We're all kind of reeling.
      One part of my journey -- and it was hard-won -- was to recognize that I could write, and that the vagaries of the market had little or nothing to do with that. If you're finaling in contests and getting requests for full manuscripts, even if they ultimately say no, then you've got the stuff. We all need to recognize our talent, thank God for it, and separate it from what's happening in the market. Be aware of the market, respect the market, but don't let it hit you where you live.
      If you get through this rant you can probably skip my main comment. :)
      Kathy Bailey
      Kaybee's fountain of useful advice

      Delete
    2. Lee-Ann, that's wonderful!! I'm so thrilled to hear this. Editors really do mean it when they ask you to submit again. So keep at it!!

      I know all about how contest victories can help along the way. On two different occasions, I had given up and then got calls about finaling. On one of those, I was crying and praying about quitting about 30 minutes before a phone call that I had finaled in the Maggie. God kept me going on multiple occasions.

      I've also had my Seeker sisters pick me up, wipe my tears (in spirit by email) and push me along when I've been struggling to keep going.

      Delete
    3. LOL, Kathy! We love your comments and useful advice. :) And I particularly liked when you said: "Be aware of the market, respect the market, but don't let it hit you where you live."

      Delete
  3. Missy, thanks for a great post.
    Lee-Ann, I love this, "HE gives us the stories to write and will open the doors when it's in His time." There is nothing we can do to "fix" this. Because it doesn't need fixing.
    My mother wasn't much of a reader, but she encouraged me in anything I wanted to do. My father was a reader and would have been proud. I've benefited from a "cloud of witnesses" over the past 20 years, when I got serious about Christian fiction. Two incisive crit partners, Peggy Rychwa and Clarice James. My husband. My sister and other extended family. Seekers emerita and current.
    Even human support will fail us, and Christian writing is ultimately a contract between us and God. I did a library talk last night. ONE PERSON showed up, and she didn't buy the book. Doubt followed me home, on what was coincidentally a dark and stormy night. I asked God if I should quit, and He said no. When it's time I'll know, and it will come from Him. We need that spark inside us.
    I have an event tomorrow afternoon with three other writers at a coffeehouse. Not a coincidence, that town is holding its annual Art Walk the same afternoon and the streets will be filled.
    It's a journey. It's a process.
    Kathy Bailey
    Still Kaybee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Kathy, don't let any signing event get you down EVER. In my experience, they fail more often than not. But do enjoy the wonderful ones! It sounds like the upcoming event at the coffeehouse should be fantastic!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your encouragement Kathy. I read your post on Friday and am thrilled for you! How exciting. sorry your library talk didn't go as well as you wanted, but good for you for sticking it out. :) Lee-Ann

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful post, Missy!

    It makes me think of the people who have encouraged me along the way - the Seekers!!!! - and of course, my husband who remembered the dream even when I had buried it so deep I had forgotten...

    But it also makes me think of what I'm doing to encourage people. How often do I let an opportunity for encouragement to slip by? It doesn't take long to write an upbeat review of a book, or to send an author an encouraging note on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, that's such a good point! We need to be sure to keep reaching out to help others. I really want to be an encourager--which of course requires time. I hope we'll all be generous with our time.

      Delete
    2. I also meant to say bravo for your husband keeping your dream alive! That gave me chill bumps just reading it.

      Delete
  5. Missy, what an amazing mother-daughter story! Colleen raised her daughter right and I'm so happy to read that they're on this journey together. I gave up my life dream of getting published for ten years, after ten years of striving for it. Then, when I wanted to dip my toe in the waters again, God brought Tina Russo Radcliffe into my life, and she introduced me to Seekerville and all the encouragement here. And it's made ALL the difference to my career. I can honestly say that - and I hope I'm following their great example of being encouragers and mentors to others as I keep on going. We never know what role we play in others lives with even a small bit of encouragement or help to others. As Christians, we're called to "build each other up" and I believe it's as important as reaching readers. :)

    My husband also keeps my dream alive and encourages me when I feel behind or when I'm not writing as fast as I think I should be. I tend to compare myself to others, and he's right there to tell me not to, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, I'm so glad you've had support along the way! Tina is a great mentor! We at Seekerville have been thrilled to be a part of your journey.

      Yeah, I understand the comparison bug. I have it too!

      Delete
  6. Great post, Missy. I enjoyed the beautiful mother-daughter story. My mom was always so proud of my writing and kept the copies I gave her of all my published stories. My husband is supportive and encouraging of me in my writing. I just need to keep after myself that I can do it because I often have so many doubts.

    Please enter me for the journal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, we know you can do it! Don't let the doubts get you.

      I've got you entered!

      Delete
  7. This story just fills my writer heart right up! I think it would make a lovely backdrop to a book of encouragement for writers.

    And I love the Hugh Laurie quote. And I agree. Just do it now and don't wait until you're 'ready.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica, I agree. I'm such a planner and control freak that it takes me forever to get going on something. So the quote really spoke to me.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing this great story. After getting a few articles published in smaller periodicals (while working a full-time job and starting a family) in my 20’s and 30’s, I poured my heart into a novel at age 39. Alas, the timing wasn’t right for a biblical novel and I stopped trying to get it published. I continued my small-time writing sporadically for 25 years.

    When I retired, my primary goal was to write. Last year I found and attended the North Georgia Christian Writers Conference, which introduced me to Word Weavers (WW). I decided to start a local group because the nearest WW was 100 miles away in Atlanta. What a blessing that is! I’m now 27000 words into my new historical novel with four more on the back burners. (My multiple POV idea morphed into several limited POV ideas, thanks to the critiques I received.) With Seekerville in my mailbox every week, along with a couple other writing blogs, and the encouragement from new writing friends, I’m convinced my time has come.

    Thanks for keeping me going on this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this story! It is a great reminder to thank those who encourage us and remember to encourage someone follow their dreams.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."