Monday, October 14, 2019

Foreshadowing

Hello everyone, Winnie Griggs here.  

Today I want to talk a little bit about foreshadowing. It’s a wonderful literary device that, when used effectively, can really make a story resonate with a reader, can lead to a head slapping, “I should have seen that coming” moment.







First, what is foreshadowing and why might you want to use it?
Foreshadowing is the planting of a hint or warning of something to come later in the story. These hints can be overt, used by the author to create tension or anticipation, or subtle if the author wants to plant clues without being obvious.


The functions of foreshadowing include:
  • to provide clues or hints about things to come
  • to add an extra richness and dimension to your story for readers, even those who don’t consciously pick up on these hints
  • to provide a reward for those readers who are paying close enough attention to ‘get it’
  • to enhance the tension and/or anticipation in the readers
  • to provide a page turning quality to your story as the reader becomes eager to find out if they’ve interpreted your foreshadowing device correctly
  • to support a future ‘surprise’ occurrence so it doesn’t strike the reader as coming out of left field


So now that we know what it is and why a writer would want to use it, how would one employ it effectively?

First you need to decide what you want to foreshadow.
Of course, not everything needs to be foreshadowed. In fact, some stories don’t lend themselves to foreshadowing at all. Some surprises and twists work better coming out of the blue. And other events are not significant enough to warrant foreshadowing.

You also don’t want to wear out your reader with too much foreshadowing – doing that would mean you are overloading the story with set-up and are not providing enough story. This can make your story seem eye-rollingly melodramatic.

Foreshadowing should relate to something significant to your story - something improbable you want to lay a foundation for or a big event you want to subtly build toward.
However, this requires that you know what these ‘significant’ events are. So that may mean the foreshadowing info doesn’t get woven in until the second or subsequent passes.


There are two types of Foreshadowing

  • Direct Foreshadowing
    This is intended to be recognized by the reader as such and points to an impending situation or problem. This future circumstance isn't spelled out in great detail (or it wouldn't be foreshadowing) but there is enough information to lead the reader to author-directed suppositions. You can do this in a number of ways, including:

    Use of dialog – have characters discuss upcoming events, character attributes, or plans.

    Use of objects – show a weapon, letter, mask or other such item that is an obvious portent of something to come.

    Use of character reactions – have a character react to something or someone in such a way as to indicate there is more than meets the eye
  • Subtle or Covert Foreshadowing
    This is foreshadowing that you want the character to miss until the event it was building toward actually occurs. You can accomplish this by

    burying your foreshadowing breadcrumbs amid other details

    by having the information presented as trivial or in an offhand manner,

    by having the hint presented in a context that hides its true meaning or importance. The movie Sixth Sense provides a masterful example of this.
      


The mechanics
  • Do your foreshadowing as early in the story as possible.
    The farther the breadcrumb is dropped from the actual event or reveal, the more impact it has. And also make sure you scatter those breadcrumbs throughout, don’t drop them all in one place. But remember to use moderation – use just enough to make certain your reader doesn’t feel cheated by a twist she could never have seen coming, but not so much that your twist loses its punch.
  • Make sure the payoff fits the buildup
    If you’re going to foreshadow something, the readers, especially those who have been doing the work of finding your hidden breadcrumbs, are going to expect those breadcrumbs to not only lead somewhere, but to lead somewhere that wows them. Don’t disappoint.


Check it again - Is it relevant and organic
  • Does this bit of foreshadowing have the intended effect: If you’re trying to build suspense have you been explicit enough? On the other hand if you’re trying to lay groundwork for a plot element down the line, have you been subtle enough not to tip your hand? 
  • Either way, have you woven in your foreshadowing element seamlessly or does it feel forced? You need to make certain you are staging things appropriately for the intended payoff.


  

So that’s a quick overview of the art of foreshadowing. Foreshadowing is a skill that requires practice and finesse. If not done carefully it can do more harm than good to your story, rendering it melodramatic, overly predictable, lacking believability or too forced.
So what other tips do you have to offer on this topic? Or do you have any fabulous example from either books or film that you’d like to share?

24 comments:

  1. Winnie, foreshadowing is a huge part of story development, right up there with character definition and plot. This is true in so many genres, and you brought up the great point of being subtle at times... and laying more obvious groundwork at others.

    I think that's the hard part for some folks, knowing when a little is enough... and when to lay it on deeper or more often.

    I BROUGHT COFFEE. AND TEA!

    It's a fall Columbus Day here in the Northeast, pretty leaves and pumpkins. And cute kids.

    Enjoy this day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruthie. Happy Columbus Day! And thanks for the tea - I sure need a cuppa right now!

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Winnie! EXCELLENT post on handling foreshadowing with expertise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Winnie. I was just teaching my 6th graders about foreshadowing last week. It's one of my favorite literary devices. Thanks for an excellent explanation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cate, you're quite welcome and it sounds like you could have written a more detailed post on this :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, how I love covert foreshadowing!! Don't you love books and movies with those big surprises that slam you? :)

    Great post, Winnie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Missy. And yes I absolutely do! Whenever I encounter one of those big, unexpected twists that is so unexpected but totally believable I have to go back and re-read or re-view to figure out how the writer pulled it off and what clues she dropped along the way to pull it off.

      Delete
  5. Oh, how did you know I needed this today, Winnie? Your timing with this post couldn't be more perfect. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, isn't serendipity wonderful. Glad you found something you could use in the post.

      Delete
  6. Put me with the group that loves foreshadowing! I love using it, but I especially love reading it (when it's done well!)

    I recently read a book that used foreshadowing very well. The heroine had a son with a disability that made him prone to respiratory infections. Understandably, the heroine was very concerned about his health - almost to the point of smothering the poor child. So the author used that tidbit about the boy's health to show an aspect of the mother's character in the beginning of the story.

    But the author used that tidbit for two purposes - developing the mother's character AND foreshadowing. Because, yes, the boy did get sick with a respiratory infection in the last act of the book (the black moment.) I had to smile when I saw it - a perfect example of how to use foreshadowing effectively!

    Great post, Winnie! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan. Great example! Foreshadowing is such a great tool, not only for building anticipation and laying groundwork, but also for bolstering themes.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this overview! I love covert foreshadowing, especially if it's so subtle I only catch it on a second or so reading. Brings added depth to the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Samantha. I'm with you, nothing beats a well done bit of covert foreshadowing. Wish I could master that skill myself...

      Delete
  8. I love this! I was doing a mental checkdown as I read this post, to see where and how I had put in a bit of foreshadowing in my WIP. :) You've reminded me that it's probably time to drop in another hint or two.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Winnie. I enjoy looking forward to the foreshadowing when I read. I also try to make good use of it in my writing. One thing that is annoying is when I read something in a book that I expect is foreshadowing something but nothing comes of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy - Happy Columbus Day. I agree - it comes down to what I said above: the payoff should fit the buildup or you are going to leave your reader disappointed and dissatisfied.

      Delete
  10. In Michelle Griep's 12 Days at Bleakly Manor, she used a lot of foreshadowing which made it fun trying to figure who was behind the mysterious invites, etc. The lion eyes that seemed to stare was creepy but had a purpose in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle. Those sound like fun reads. Foreshadowing works really well in mysteries, in fact it's just about a requirement.

      Delete
  11. I'm late to the party today, but just wanted to say this is a really helpful post. If I ever write something that I feel deserves a second draft I'll have to use them LOL!

    I love books that are subtle in the foreshadowing. I love a good surprise at the end, but if there is too much looking forward or if it's too on the nose, the fun twist or plot point you didn't expect isn't fun anymore. Great post, Winnie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glynnis. So glad you enjoyed the post. And I'm right there with you, love me some subtle foreshadowing, a book or movie that makes me say - wow, how did they pull that off!!

      Delete
  12. Hi Winnie:

    You write such excellent craft posts. I like the way you cover all the angles and loopholes. Excellent. Please keep them coming!

    I can't agree more that it rewards the careful reader who picks up early on foreshadowing. This is particularly ture when dealing with 60 to 90 minute tv dramas.

    I really love to tell my wife how a drama is going to end in the first five minutes of the show.

    "How could you possibly know that?" she'd say. And I respond with something like, "tv shows have little time for story and production is very expensive. They have good writers and when they foreshadow it's for a good reason."

    In romances I do like early foreshadowing to get passed me 50% of the time. If it is too easy or obvious it acts like a spoiler. I want to yell at the author, "You don't have to hit me over the head with a two by four."

    Along with foreshadowing, I also like 'mirroring' when, for example, natural events, say volcanoes, which happen thought the story are mirrored in the lives of the characters. I've seen this done well with extended heat waves, hurricanes, dams threatening to burst, earthquakes, and so on. I'm not sure most readers notice this but I love it.

    Thanks again, looking forward to your next post.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vince. Thanks for the kind words! And your comment on mirroring just gave me an idea for a future post... :)

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."