Monday, November 25, 2019

Should I Experiment with Writing Other Genres?


One of the things we're told as aspiring writers is to "Stick to one genre. Find one that works and don't hop around." And as published authors, we're told to "Create your brand, and don't stray from it. Consistently meet reader expectations to grow your career."

For super-creative people like writers, who love to explore the possibilities on a daily basis, this can be frustrating. But, as with most general rules, accepting is easier when we understand the 'why' behind that dictate. (And also how and when we can and should break that 'rule.')




From what I have gathered from my agent friends, the reasoning behind agents preferring an author find a genre and stick to it is this: When an agent is trying to sell an author's work to a publisher, they are also trying to sell the author. They want to create a situation where a long-term career with a publisher is possible. If the author has one historical romance, one contemporary romantic comedy, one self-help book, and one memoir they'd like to shop, this gives the impression that the author is a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none. That their identity as a writer is all over the shop. "I can write anything! I love writing everything" isn't a brand.

From the publisher's perspective, they're usually looking to fill a 'hole' in their stable of authors. If they need more cozy mysteries, they're looking for a writer who will write cozy mysteries for awhile. If they're in the market for espionage thrillers, they are seeking a thriller-writer who will stay the course and become known for writing thrillers. They are not interested in investing thousands of dollars on an author, only to have that author swap horses mid-stream and say they don't want to continue providing content for the reader-base the publisher has gathered.

This might not be what an aspiring writer wants to hear, but it's how things are in this business, so learning it now is less painful than learning it later when you're faced with rejection after rejection and don't know why.

All that being said, there are times when trying different genres makes sense.

If you're not yet published, you can experiment a bit to find your writing voice and what genre fits it best. This needs to take place before you EVER query an agent. I'll say that again. Experiment with different genres before you query an agent. Try writing in the genre you most like to read. Try writing something wildly different from your usual taste. Write in first person. Write in third person. Try writing a YA. You'll know quickly where your heart, talent, and most importantly, your writing voice lies.

If you're published, the stakes for getting this right are higher. You might have a variety of reasons for changing genres. You might have hit on a great story idea that is outside your genre, and you're eager to try it. By all means, give it a whirl (with a couple of caveats that I'll mention later.) Or, you might be a published author who has run into a dead end with your current publisher, genre, sales, etc. It's time for a change and a re-inventing of yourself. You might have a sudden opportunity presented by your publisher or offered by your agent that you would like to try. All valid reasons to consider changing genres.

Should I stay in my lane or try a new direction?


But how do you go about it? You've spent a long time building your readership. Readers expect certain things from you, and if you don't deliver those things...the outrage can be huge. (Think of when John Grisham wrote The Painted House. The tens of thousands of fans of his legal thrillers bought the book expecting one thing and got something totally different. I don't think Grisham has quite recovered yet.)

But changing genres is sometimes a viable option, and it can be done, even by wildly popular authors with a consistent brand and following. Before you take the leap though, consider these things:

1. Think long and hard, not just about yourself, but about your publisher and your readers. If you jump too far afield too quickly, you risk blowing up all that you've worked so hard to accomplish. If you're considering a radical shift, give it a lot of thought, talk to your agent who will have their perspective, and have a sound plan and reason for the change.

2. Consider only changing one or at the most two things at a time. I'll use myself as an example. For thirty or so novels and novellas, I wrote stories set in the American West. I wrote in the time period between 1860 and 1918. Then my publisher asked if I would be interested in writing a novella set during the Regency period. England, sometime between 1811 and 1820.

I would still be writing historical fiction. It woulds till be romance, but it would have a different setting/time period. Reader expectations from an Erica Vetsch romance include:

a) Extensively researched historical settings
b) Swoon-worthy romance
c) A rich and varied vocabulary of period words
d) A smash-bang finish

A switch to writing a Regency romance meant I could still do the things readers were expecting, but with a fresh twist of a new locale and time period. I agreed to write the novella, and I had great fun! The story, Jamie Ever After, in the Regency Brides Collection was well-received.

3. Consider a pen name. If you're going to make a radical shift that is more than one or two degrees of separation from your well-established brand, consider using a pen name. This will avoid any confusion on the part of your readers about what to expect. Think of the shock for your reader if you're known for your humorous cowboy romances, and suddenly, you publish a serial killer psycho-thriller! Mary Connealy did just this a few years ago, and she was wise enough to use a pen name, Mary Nealy (Though you have to admit, that's still pretty close. :D ) Fans of Mary Connealy's romantic cowboy stories are not necessarily the fans of crime thrillers involving psychotic, deranged serial killers. ( I happen to be, but that says more about me than about Mary!)

Many authors use pen names when swapping genres or venturing out into a new genre. Probably the most famous is Nora Roberts, who, when she wanted to switch from contemporary romance to police procedural mysteries, chose the pen name J. D. Robb. Stephen King wrote under the name Richard Bachman when he wanted to pen something other than super-scary thrillers.

Should I relax and keep doing what I'm doing
or should I launch into a new direction?

If you find yourself needing to change genres, rather than just wanting to change, don't despair. I've a friend who found door after door closing to her after having published many titles in the historical romance genre. But a door opened to write both contemporary romance and contemporary mystery. She said she'd try it and BAM, contracts galore.

For myself, I found that I had gone a bit stale on writing American historical romance. The Regency novella had sparked a renewed interest in research and given me a new historical era to immerse myself in. Since I had no pending contracts to fulfill, I decided to please myself and pull together a proposal for a Regency series. My agent was excited about the prospect, and she found a home for that proposal more quickly than I imagined.

That series will release in 2020, and I hope that I will bring along my current reader base for the ride, as well as find some new readers along the way. It still has those hallmarks of my writing I listed above, but it's got a touch of mystery/suspense to it as well!



Best-selling, award-winning author Erica Vetsch loves Jesus, history, romance, and sports. She’s a transplanted Kansan now living in Minnesota, and she is married to her total opposite and soul mate! When she’s not writing fiction, she’s planning her next trip to a history museum and cheering on her Kansas Jayhawks and New Zealand All Blacks. You can connect with her at her website, www.ericavetsch.com where you can read about her books and sign up for her newsletter, and you can find her online at https://www.facebook.com/EricaVetschAuthor/ where she spends way too much time!

43 comments:

  1. Erica, great overview of the Do or Do not...

    And it's a tough question for a lot of folks. I was firmly entrenched in contemporaries until an author dropped a contract and it got offered to me... and it turned out to be a historical, LOL! And it was so much fun to write it. That became Red Kettle Christmas, and was the first of a long line of historicals that I've put out in anthologies and independently.

    And the mysteries were an accident, too... because I'd gone on the record declaring I couldn't write a mystery. That my brain doesn't work that way... and I was wrong again. SHOCKER!!!!! Because I am having way too much fun writing mysteries and I could do this forever and smile every single day. Not even kidding!!!!

    I see the sense in branding, but I do like dabbling in uncharted waters. It might not be the smartest move, but I have such joy in all the things I do, that it clearly works for me. So maybe that's a big part of this.

    I wanted an income I could live on.

    Got that!

    And I wanted to have fun every step of the way.

    Got that, too.

    So maybe there's joy and satisfaction in both ways... and it's quite possible that publishers aren't thrilled with that notion. I understand.

    But with the advent of indie publishing, it's kind of fun to be able to run our own businesses like the business women we are, and I'm saying that as an author who is keeping her feet firmly in two ponds, two ponds I love. Traditional publishing... and indie publishing.

    Fortunately the ponds are not very deep as I am not an exceptional swimmer, but more of a get-your-feet-wet wader. :)

    Three days until Thanksgiving!

    OH MY STARS! Break out the squash!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indie publishing has certainly changed the landscape. As long as you have a plan, and you make your choices after careful investigation of the ramifications, then execute that plan! Go, writer, go! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. And tea! Earl Grey and Mango Black! :)

      Delete
    2. Sipping my cup of Earl Grey as we speak!

      Delete
    3. I chose Mango Black today since I drank Earl Grey all weekend. :)

      Delete
  3. This is so timely, Erica. I'm sitting down with My Brilliant writing planner hoping to make next year one of calm and purpose and less chaos :) I'm unpublished and still don't really know what genre I like to write. I have several unfinished or unedited manuscripts in contemporary romance, romantic suspense, YA fantasy, and chick lit. This is a good time to take stock of what I like to write, what the trends are, and my goal is to have something ready to query with by the end of next year.

    Thanks for all the good info. It gives me a lot to think about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it, Glynis! Keep us updated on your progress! It's nice that you have a full locker of projects to choose from!

      Delete
  4. Erica, what a great post! So much to consider.

    I'm really excited about your Regency series! I think you're smart to look at reader expectations and to make sure those are fulfilled, even if in a different time period and setting. I know readers appreciate that, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Missy! Readers' enjoyment of the story is the ultimate goal, isn't it? We're not doing our jobs as authors if we forget them or think they don't matter.

      Delete
  5. Have you been listening to my conversations with my husband and my agent? I'm in the middle of changing lanes and have thought long and hard about all the points you brought up. I want to keep my readers happy (I love them!) as well as continue to write historical romance, and at the same time I'm considering dipping my toes into a different pond. Three different projects, three different genres.

    My plans for the rest of 2019 and through 2020 reflect those desires. Now, all I have to do is sit down and write! :-)

    And I know you've had SO MUCH FUN researching your regencies! I can't wait to read them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan! You're doing the right thing evaluating what you want to do, all the possibilities, and not forgetting the readers who have come to love your work. I look forward to seeing where God leads you and your writing!

      Delete
  6. Great post! It's something Ive been thinking about. I am unpublished and interested most in chick lit. However, thats not the biggest genre right now. I've been thinking more about contemporary romance or romantic comedy possibly with a chick lit voice? I think some of YA, too. Teens can always use books with good values but I'm not super drawn to YA at the monent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felicity, write your romantic comedy! That's a great 'small step' from chick lit that would probably still suit your voice.

      If you're not drawn to a particular genre, and you have a choice, write what you want and what you love. Teens can always use good YA to read, but there are YA writers out there who live and breathe YA.

      There are readers out there who want and need what only YOU can provide, which is stories that fit your voice and your mission and your heart.

      Delete
    2. I love writing chick lit, too, but you're right that it's not being published much anymore. But Erica, I love what you say about people needing to hear what we have to say, with a unique voice and perspective. I'm going to take that to heart myself.

      Delete
    3. Its really too bad chick lit isnt selling. What do you write now, Glynis?

      Delete
    4. Felicityp63, I haven't really found my genre yet :) I honestly have no idea what I write best. I think I would enjoy romantic comedy best, but I never seem to pull it off. I think I'd like to be the next Kara Isaac. <3

      Delete
  7. I'm so excited about your Regency! That era vies for my love for medieval. :) Your post is something I've really thought about this year. I had my first medieval published earlier this year, but numbers weren't great. So I've been toying with other genres. I could always self-publish my medievals while pursuing trad with other genres. It's hard to be business savy yet still write what you love. Thanks so much for information to chew on. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it exiting that we have so many options now? One book's sales is a small sample-size, and often it takes time to build traction. Give careful consideration to when or whether to switch genres, because you're building an audience that wants to know what to expect from you when they pick up your books.

      Delete
  8. A Consideration…

    Hi Erica:

    When thinking of changing genres, I believe a major consideration should be taking into account the Pareto Principle. In this case it would be a version of the 80/20 rule.

    For example: in Romance it might be expressed as 80% of romance books are bought by 20% of the romance fans. Some readers may buy a book or two a year while others may buy a book a week. A writer's goal should be to please this 20% of core buyers.

    This rule can be even more important when considering different genres.

    For example: in Regency romances, I would expect that the ratio would be even greater. Perhaps as many as 90% to 95% of Regency books are bought by 10% of the readers. This can have serious consequences for genre selection.

    Let's say you write a Regency and show it to your fans and friends who like your other writing. They may love it. But what if they are not Regency fans? What if they like your book because it is not stuffy like the few Recency books they've read in the past? You might sell books to the Regency "Dippers" who buy one book just to see what the genre is like and you might even sell a book to the hardcore Regency fans who are always looking for new authors in the genre but if the real fans don't like your Regency, then you have little future in the genre.

    For example: a contemporary romance author I just loved and who wrote over 100 really good romances, (I read about 80 of them) always wanted to write Regencies. Finally she did. As a big fan of hers and Regencies I learned about this secret publication. She wrote under a pen name, (nothing like hers), and had a different publisher. I bought the books of course but they were so bad I couldn't even finish either one of them. (I was a hardcore Regency fan. Of the first 300 romances I read about 200 were Regencies. Hint: the first five were by Jane Austen.)

    My first reaction to these two books was that they were not Regencies. Yes, the events took place during the Regency period, but the author did not understand genuine Regency reader expectations.

    The same would be true to an even greater extent with science fiction books. If you are going to write SF you should have read at least 200 SF books and most of the classics both Golden Age and Contemporary. Your story idea may seem great to your fans but a SF fan might say, this approach has been done better six times. "Hasn't the author ever read the classic SF books?"

    Before switching from a workable genre ask yourself this: Can I write in a way that the core fans will rate highly?

    Bottom line:

    Before writing in a new genre learn that genre, know what the core fans like and demand, and have read the 'classics'.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's excellent advice, Vince. Know your readers expectations in the genre you want to write. I've read Regencies for a couple decades, so hopefully I know the audience and the voice and the expectations of Regency romance readers. I guess I'll find out soon enough. :)

      As with all decisions when it comes to molding one's writing career, it pays to do your research, form your expectations, get guidance, and then make your choices.

      Delete
    2. I'm pretty sure Erica did her research... since i know she loves researching. My beloved Regency genre is in good hands with her ;-)

      Delete
    3. The Regency audience is very particular. But as a big reader of Regencies, I know Erica will nail it!

      Delete
    4. Hi Erica:

      If you've been a big fan of Regency romances, you should do very well in the genre. I'd like to be the first to review your Regency on Amazon. I'll be looking to pre-order it for my Kindle. Be sure to let us know its release date.

      For big Regency fans I would suggest you read Liz Fielding's "The Last Woman He’d Ever Date,” because it is an ingenious Contemporary Regency. I think most readers will not get what Liz has done but I think Regency fans will get a big kick out of it.

      I wrote a review of this when it first came out,

      https://vmres.blogspot.com/search?q=liz+fielding

      The book has all the major Regency themes in a Contemporary story. Amazing that anyone would really do this.

      Vince

      Delete
  9. Excellent post, my dear Erica! As a fan of your westerns I know I'll be a huge fan of your Regencies too because your writing is always delightful and spot on! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great information, Erica. I'm glad you shared it. I've been considering changing genre's somewhere down the road. Historical Romance will always be my favorite but I might try contemporary one day. I have a story partially plotted. I'm looking forward to reading your new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, I love that we have options. I've not written a contemporary yet, but I've learned never to say never. :)

      Delete
    2. Jamie, historical romance was my first love, but somehow along the way, I ended up writing romantic suspense. Not quite sure how that happened!

      Delete
  11. Such an interesting post, Erica. I always try to read something different than what I'm writing. The trouble with that is it always makes me want to write something different!
    Too little time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to add, I love Regencies, so I'm looking forward to reading these.

      Delete
    2. I try not to read what I'm writing when I'm deep into writing a book. I do read other things, but steer clear of that particular genre. But I do read it if I'm not in the thick of writing. :)

      I'm so glad you like Regencies. They are high on my list of favorites!

      Delete
  12. I. AM. SO. EXCITED. ABOUT. THESE. BOOKS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Erica. I look forward to reading your Regency series. I'm sure you've done a great job with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sandy, thank you! I hope you enjoy the story when you get to read it. Thanks for being such a faithful SeekerVillager!

      Delete
  14. Erica, you've done a great job explaining the pros and cons of changing genres. Thanks! I'm into suspense totally...but every once and a while, I think a sweet romance would be fun to write. But then, I doubt that I could kill anyone. Right?

    I'll stick with suspense!

    Almost Turkey Day! Gobble, gobble to all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you start killing people in a sweet romance, I think it becomes a cozy mystery! :D

      Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  15. Interesting post Erica, and something I've been thinking about. I'm trying to hone my contemporary romance skills but have ideas for cozies and historical fiction. I've always been of the mind to get good at one genre and eventually branch off into another that makes sense (i.e. contemporary romance could lead to women's fiction or historical romance). All great points and something else to think about! :)
    Lee-Ann B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee-Ann, I would recommend you focus on one for awhile before swapping to something else, but before you focus, find out what genre best suits you, where you have the most ideas, etc.

      Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."