Friday, December 27, 2019

Reflecting on the Joy of Christmas


I love the week between Christmas and New Years Day.

Now, don't get me wrong. I enjoy the days leading up to Christmas and being with family and friends, singing "Oh Holy Night" and "Away in the Manger", and reflecting on Jesus, the reason for the season. But the ticking clock leading up to the 25th can get the best of us, sometimes.

When all the presents are opened and everyone has gone home, I enjoy just tidying up and getting things back to normal. I'm sitting here typing this out with my tree half undecorated, a cup of coffee at my fingertips as the sun goes down and the sky turns blue gray.

It's nice. Quiet. Relaxing. Peaceful.

But you know what makes this week so special? Reflecting on all the wonderful moments from the last few days. Sure, I've had my share of working long hours at a day job where I got Christmas Day off and then was back at the grind bright and early on the 26th. I did it for nearly thirty years. These days, one of my most appreciated "presents" is working from home so that I don't have to hit the road the day after Christmas.

And I've also had my share of Christmases where our family has lost loved ones or spent the holidays in the hospital or on the roads to and from ICU. I understand that it's not always smiles and laughter. Years when it is are to be treasured.


My week started with Christmas at my house on Monday night, and I had the joy of babysitting two of my grands all day while cooking for the family. (Everybody should have to do that every so often in order to appreciate what young moms and dads go through every single day.) What a gift! To be able to enjoy my precious grand babies while cooking a meal for their parents. The little one falling asleep on my shoulder while I tossed the last of the potatoes in the crock pot for soup. The 3 1/2 year old wanting to help and mopping floors for me. She did an amazing job! Then her thanking me so sweetly when I brought out some new soft play dough.


Then watching all three of my grands running around my den squealing with joy and opening presents. Yes, thinking back on Monday night makes me smile.

Tuesday morning, my little group gathered at my in-laws for an extended family get-together and there were more children, more laughter, more squeals, presents and food, along with more pictures.

Wednesday, Christmas Day, My Cowboy and I spent the day at home alone. Well, he actually spent part of the day working cows and I "puttered" around the house, as my mother would say. It was nice just to get caught on emails and look at pictures of my grand babies as they and their parents enjoyed opening gifts in their own homes.

Thursday was more of the same with me eyeing the tree and finally deciding to take it down. Even this can be fun when you have the time to do it.



You know, I had planned to tell y'all about the material gifts I received this year, and then y'all could chime in with your own list, much like children used to call in to radio stations and tell the DJ what they got for Christmas. At least our local station did that and my husband loved listening to it on Christmas morning. But I just realized that I haven't mentioned not ONE gift I received. Not that I'm unappreciative.

But these days for me, Christmas is less about receiving material gifts than it is being with my children and grandchildren and watching the little ones. My granddaughter carried this doll with her all week from one set of grandparents to the next. She'd asked for a pink baby doll (to go with the other 500 she has!), and every time she talked to Santa, she'd only say a pink baby doll. She received much more and gifts that cost more than this little doll, but this is the one she fell in love with. A simple little doll that will give her hours of enjoyment as she uses her imagination to play "mommy".

That's gift enough for me. :)

Click Here to Purchase Your Copy

20 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this. This is so true. So very perfectly true.

    And I agree so wholeheartedly that material things and gifts aren't nearly as special as being with my family... having kids come home, having grands running around, having them love, love, love cookies! And having the grandchildren taking over Major Jobs like making the punch and decorating the cookies and making pies. This new generation is carrying on traditions that have been around for 50 years or more... and seeing them smile, so happy to do it!

    Aren't we blessed???

    Pam, the family pics are wonderful! And those grandbabies are absolutely beautiful. God bless them and you and and all the Hillman crew. Thank you so much for sharing this!

    Oh, and let me share one huge favorite from the Blodgett/Herne house this week. Our youngest son came home very sick. We had two days of him in bed, his first stop from the airport was Urgent Care with his dad... and then on night three he was feeling better and we had ten of us tucked in the living room, watching "The Muppet Christmas Carol" and that was like the best gift of all... three generations, cheering Rizzo the Rat, Marley and Marley (Statler and Waldorf), Kermie and Miss Piggy and the kids and of course, Scrooge himself. I still smile remembering that, and how I told them all right then that it was the best Christmas gift ever.... just sharing a fun Christmas evening with them.

    But I will confess to enjoying a bit of quiet time now, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this! The Muppet Christmas Carol! :)

      I had to tell Cowpaw to turn the tv (news network) off! lol But Muppet Christmas would be fun. :)

      Delete
    2. Same here. I commandeered the living room tv and said "Christmas.... " and turned it over to really cute kids.

      Men need a break. :)

      Delete
  2. Pam, a nice reflection. If we focus on "things," we're bound to be disappointed. I think that's even more true in middle-, later and late-late life. We pretty much have all the stuff we'll ever need, or we're capable of buying it for ourselves. But nobody can put a price on family and friends, can they?
    This has been a good year for me professionally, two books out and two contracts for 2020, but even that will vanish when this world ends. My husband is on vacation this week, and I timed my writing projects so that I could take a break too. Starting the third Western Dreams novel -- NEXT WEEK. Trying to wrap up my nonfiction project -- NEXT WEEK.
    Pam is right about this week. In journalism we call it the "Week Between," when absolutely nothing is going on and we either scramble for stories or do a bunch of generic ones in advance. The Week Between, for me on a personal level, is a time to reflect on the year coming to a close. What do I treasure? What could I have done better? What did I lose, and need to mourn?
    Thanks for all your support this year.
    Kathy Bailey
    Your Kaybee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "Week Between". How apt!!

      Now that I think about it, I blogged on this same topic last year, but from the angle of the time between Jesus' birth and his death, the time between the cruxifixction and the resurrection. Apparently, I feel this way during this week every year. :)

      Delete
  3. Pam, what a wonderful Christmas! We had all the kids and their significant others together at different points during the holiday, so it was wonderful! You're right that those are the most precious part of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lovely week, Pam. A lot like ours. Christmas was spent with my parents and my children, who are in their upper teens. We watched movies, opened what few gifts we got which were small but nice, ate too much food, and just enjoyed each other's company. I told my son later that the day had made my heart full just because we were together. He nodded like he agreed, but I know he won't really "get it" until he's got kids ready to leave the nest himself. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, so true!!! In my younger years, I didn't get it either. Even when my own kids were small, I still didn't get it, not fully. It wasn't until now that I have grandchildren, that the joy is in watching them.

      And it doesn't hurt that we all have phones to capture every little detail of these events and "airdrop" with each other. :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful time of God’s blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly! Merry belated Christmas and Happy New Year, Lucy!

      Delete
  6. Pam - you did share about gifts with us - the gift of children and family! Now you have lovely memories and I'm sure, love bursts, in your heart whenever you reflect on the past week. :)
    My children realized this year there was only one gift under the tree for me (a lovely mug from my husband with an inscription about how much I mean to him - I'm tearing up even now), and I told them my gift was to see them enjoy Christmas - with all the presents, music, food, and everything else this time of year brings. When I think of Christmas as a parent, that is the one thing I see - the smiles and joy radiating from my precious littles.
    Thanks for sharing. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sweetest thing happened on Monday night. As I said, I was busy all day cooking and watching those two sweet girls while Mommy & Daddy worked. Hubby bought a new storm door for our front door and installed it on Monday. Full glass! It's gorgeous. The old one was 35+ years old and hadn't shut automatically for years.

    I'm not sure if hubby meant for this to be my Christmas present, but this beautiful new door is what I'm claiming for MY Christmas present this year. When we went shopping at Lowe's to pick one out, one had a wood-like panel about 1/2 way up. Hubby asked if I liked it. NOOOOO!!! The babies wouldn't be able to look out at the pasture, cows, deer, birds, squirrels. So, we have full-length glass storm door. Love it!

    Okay, on to the sweet thing that made my heart melt. With all the busyness, I forgot to put the dog up before all the company arrived. Mostly, she loves my children and the grandbabies, but she might not be too friendly with my mother and stepfather. Well, my three grand girls were already here, and I was about to freshen up when I heard the dog barking outside, so I rushed outside to hold the dog while my my mother came in.

    It was kind of chaotic for the next few minutes. Me outside holding a barking dog, my mother slowly making her way toward and then into the house. My stepfather standing outside (completely ignoring the crazed dog), holding the new storm door open talking to my (apparently deaf and oblivious) husband while the two little ones started crying wanting to go outside with Pammy! I was (maybe) screaming for said hubby to get the little one because she was coming unglued thinking Pammy was leaving. (I guess.)

    So, all calmed down. We all got inside and I went back to the "powder room" to finish my freshening up. And then I looked down and all three of my little dolls were standing there staring at me wide-eyed, from the smallest to the oldest. I don't know if they thought I was going somewhere or if the dog had hurt me, or what, but with all the people in the den, they wanted to be with me. For some reason, it just struck me as the perfect moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my stars, that is the perfect moment. Those dollies! Three beautiful grandgirlies. :)

      Can't get better than that unless God sends us another at some time!

      Delete
    2. Well, there is the little boy coming in May. :)

      Delete
  8. Great post, Pam. I love your family Christmas photo. Your granddaughters are adorable. We had a wonderful few days with all my extended family back except for one niece. Today is my dad's 85th birthday, so more celebrating. Also got to see two of my aunts yesterday (my mom's sisters). So it has been a lot of fun with family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, what wonderful Christmas memories for you and your family. A treasure for sure!

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."