Sunday, March 15, 2020

SUNDAY SCRIPTURE and PRAYER REQUESTS

NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER
THIRD SUNDAY IN LENT

The Seekerville bloggers are praying for YOU and for our entire blog community throughout this Lenten season. If you have any special intentions that need additional prayer coverage, please leave a request for prayer in the comment section below. 

We are so grateful for all of you—for your friendship and your support! 
May the Lord bless you and your families abundantly as we journey to Easter. 

Please join us in praying for our country--and the world--during 
this coronavirus outbreak. 

Dear Lord, protect us and keep us
free from COVID-19 infection. Help all who are working hard to 
contain the spread of this virus, especially those  
in the healthcare professions and those caring for the sick. 
Give clarity and right judgement to the WHO, CDC, NIH and 
federal, state and local agencies combating this outbreak.
Guard our elderly and immunocompromised 
and bring healing and comfort to those who have the disease.
God bless us, and God bless the United States of America.
Amen.


Jesus and the Samaritan Woman at the Well, Guercino, 1640-41,
Madrid, Spain. [PD-US]

Jesus came to a town of Samaria called Sychar,
near the plot of land that Jacob had given to his son Joseph.
Jacob’s well was there.
Jesus, tired from his journey, sat down there at the well.
It was about noon.

A woman of Samaria came to draw water.
Jesus said to her,
“Give me a drink.”
His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.
The Samaritan woman said to him,
“How can you, a Jew, ask me, a Samaritan woman, for a drink?”
—For Jews use nothing in common with Samaritans.—
Jesus answered and said to her,
“If you knew the gift of God
and who is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink, ‘
you would have asked him
and he would have given you living water.”
The woman said to him,
“Sir, you do not even have a bucket and the cistern is deep;
where then can you get this living water?
Are you greater than our father Jacob,
who gave us this cistern and drank from it himself
with his children and his flocks?”
Jesus answered and said to her,
“Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again;
but whoever drinks the water I shall give will never thirst;
the water I shall give will become in him
a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”
The woman said to him,
“Sir, give me this water, so that I may not be thirsty
or have to keep coming here to draw water.

“I can see that you are a prophet.
Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain;
but you people say that the place to worship is in Jerusalem.”
Jesus said to her,
“Believe me, woman, the hour is coming
when you will worship the Father
neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem.
You people worship what you do not understand;
we worship what we understand,
because salvation is from the Jews.
But the hour is coming, and is now here,
when true worshipers will worship the Father in Spirit and truth;
and indeed the Father seeks such people to worship him.
God is Spirit, and those who worship him
must worship in Spirit and truth.”
The woman said to him,
“I know that the Messiah is coming, the one called the Christ;
when he comes, he will tell us everything.”
Jesus said to her,
“I am he, the one who is speaking with you.”

Many of the Samaritans of that town began to believe in him.
When the Samaritans came to him,
they invited him to stay with them;
and he stayed there two days.
Many more began to believe in him because of his word,
and they said to the woman,
“We no longer believe because of your word;
for we have heard for ourselves,
and we know that this is truly the savior of the world.”
John 4:5-15, 19b-26, 39a, 40-42

31 comments:

  1. Always a good time for prayer, but right now seems so ideal to be doing this with all that is around us, troubling this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad we started this Sunday Seekerville Scripture and Prayer page at this time of great need. We're praying together for the good of all!

      Delete
    2. I agree. Always a good time for prayer, especially now!

      Delete
  2. Keeping all of our Seekerville family in my prayers. Have a blessed Lord's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings to you and yours, Jan! I know you're in prayer for all of us! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful, heartfelt passage. I love how it shows Jesus reaching out to outsiders, the lonely, the shunned. Those who were outside the "realm" of that day.

    What a blessed example He is. An example to all of us on how to be gentler, kinder, more compassionate people. And look how nice they were to a stranger! Go them! When Jesus was being chased out of His own town because they thought he got The Big Head and here are these people, hungering for salvation.

    I love this. Praying for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how he touched the Samaritan Woman who was an outcast from her community. Christ transformed her into a disciple who spread his message of love and mercy.

      Delete
    2. Our sermon today was on the Samaritan woman at the well. We must all be on the same liturgical calendar. I like that. Thinking so many are focusing on the same scripture at the same time.

      Delete
    3. I can't say kindness and gentleness is always on my heart, but I try. Scriptures like this remind us that we can do so much more good with a gracious heart than a spiteful tongue. Jesus, remind us to do Your work, not ours.

      Delete
  4. Praying for all needs today and especially for our country as we face the COVID-19 challenge. Stay calm and healthy, dear friends. Hunker down as best you can. May God protect you and keep you strong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful reminder for today. prayer is always a great thing to do everyday. we really need to pray for those effected and those who have lost someone to this virus. but we also need to pray for our leaders and for all the nurses and doctors who are helping, all the scientists who are trying to help. we need to pray for all those first responders. everyone stay safe and healthy. but above all pray and help those that need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori, for mentioning all those needs. Praying for the wonderful folks who are caring for the sick and who are leading this effort of containment.

      A truck driver on FB asked folks to pray for him and his fellow drivers. They are vital right now so products and supplies can get where they are needed. Today I'm adding truck drivers and store personnel to our list of prayer requests.

      Delete
    2. Lori, such beautiful words. So many to pray for, the afflicted and those giving aid and comfort, along with the medical teams on the front lines.

      Delete
  6. Debby, thank you for sharing your beautiful prayer today. I'm praying for all those affected by coronavirus here and around the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad President Trump asked for a National Day of Prayer!

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad our leaders are reminding the nation that God is in charge.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for being here today and for the prayers. I am feeling such anxiety over everything right now. I would love prayers for finding peace. I know God is with us through all this, so I am in prayer more than ever. My husband and I are planning to drive to St. Louis this weekend for my niece's bridal shower. I could use prayers for that as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, we're praying for your peace. So many folks are feeling stressed and wondering what they should do. Also many are fearing that they might get sick. Praying for your protection and safe travel to ST Louis. Enjoy the bridal shower. I hope the bride's excitement will bring a lightness to your heart.

      Delete
    2. Praying for peace, Sandy. My peace I leave with you...that's the verse that came to me.

      Delete
    3. Sandy, praying for peace to fill your heart with understanding and keep your heart and mind on Jesus. We can't be afraid to live our lives, but we must be vigilant. Praying too for your niece's special day not be overshadowed by worry and illness.

      Delete
  8. "When I am afraid, I put my trust in you." Psalm 56:3

    Don't let anxiety get the best of you during this current crisis. Instead, choose to trust and "cast all your cares on Him." This event didn't take God by surprise. He's not scrambling, trying to decide what to do next. He's got this. And He's got you in the palm of His hand. Be smart and proactive, but keep your eyes on Jesus.

    Lifting each of you up in prayer and enveloping you in cyber hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Lord is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear?
    The Lord is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid?
    ………………………………………………………………………………Psalm 27:1

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our little church met today, and I was so encouraged by the prayers of our people. I'm also very glad we've begun these Sunday posts. I need them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too, Erica! Prayer is needed, especially with this coronavirus outbreak.

      Delete
  11. Praise God for this group of praying believers. May we all continue to pray for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."