Wednesday, March 18, 2020

The Birth of a Book...Start to Finish



By Debby Giusti

Dear Friends,
We are living through a time of upheaval and confusion with the coronavirus pandemic. I hope all of you are hunkered down comfortably, with food and other necessities. I’m praying for you and for our country and the world. God bless and protect us all.

On a lighter note, let’s talk about the journey a story takes from conception to publication. It starts with an idea…or a plot point, an inciting incident or exciting climax or even a snippet of dialogue. That first blush of inspiration grabs the writer and forces her to the “What If” stage. What if the hero is an Amish recluse who’s questioning his faith? What if the heroine is a dazed Englischer suffering from amnesia?


The writer starts to build a story like a carpenter constructs a house. The opening, first meet, call to action, escalating tension, black moment, climax and resolution are added. The setting is chosen—an Amish farm, a military post, a small town in Georgia—along with the theme, moral premise, hooks and motifs.

The characters take shape—Ruthie Eicher and Noah Schlabach or Becca Troyer and Zeke Hochstetler—and a relationship develops between the writer and the hero and heroine. With gentle prodding, the characters reveal their goals, motivations and conflicts—both external and internal. Friends, mentors and enemies become part of the story structure. Secrets, even secret babies, are added to the mix. Backstory is sprinkled in along with foreshadowing and red herrings.

Once the writer “sees” the story, she begins to pen the first three chapters and synopsis. The synopsis is a narrative overview of the entire story written in present tense. The synopsis and three chapters make up the proposal that is emailed to the editor.


Within the next thirty days or so, the editor reads the proposal. She can ask for revisions or make suggestions to enhance the story. She can reject the idea, or she can approve the submission and give the writer the go-ahead to finish the manuscript.  

If not done before this time, the writer signs a binding legal contract to submit the completed manuscript by a certain deadline. In return for the story, which is her “product,” the writer will receive an “advance” payment, usually given in three installments. The writer receives one-third of the advance upon contract, one-third with the acceptance of the proposal and one-third upon acceptance of the full manuscript. After signing the contract, the writer is obligated to complete the manuscript and submit it on or before the agreed deadline.

Now, the writer writes the story, revises the story, stews about the story, makes changes to the story, deletes unnecessary scenes, adds dialogue, adds scenes, rewrites the beginning…the ending…the black moment…stews some more. During this process, the writer loves the story, hates the story, hates herself for writing the story, then starts to like the story again. Eventually, once the writer is satisfied that the story is ready to submit—or her deadline looms—she emails the manuscript to her editor.


The editor reads the manuscript. She may return the manuscript to the writer and ask for changes. If so, the writer makes the changes and resubmits the manuscript. If the editor approves the manuscript and  the changes, she contacts the financial department. They send a check to the writer for the second installment of the advance.

Line edits are done by either the acquiring editor or a freelance editor contracted by the publishing house. The edits are done on the computer in “track changes” format.  The editor then returns the edited manuscript to the writer.

The writer is given from two weeks to a month to revise the manuscript and make the requested changes. Additionally, the writer answers any questions the editor may have mentioned in her edits and tightens any areas that still need work. After making the changes, the writer reads a clean copy of the manuscript—this is the last opportunity the writer has to make changes to the story—before returning it to the editor. Upon acceptance of the manuscript, the financial department sends the writer the final third of her advance.


During this time, the writer completes the Art Fact Sheet for the Art Department and Marketing. Three scenes are selected as possible cover art suggestions. For Amish stories, the writer chooses two scenes that involve the heroine wearing her kapp, or bonnet, and a landscape scene. A 500-word synopsis and a few storyline questions are answered, which marketing uses in promotion and to attract foreign sales. The short synopsis provides information for the editor or assistant tasked to write the back of the book blurb. The writer also submits photo links or copies of photos of characters, setting, clothing and scenery and any additional photos that will help the Art Department in their creation of a cover.

The editor requests a list of possible titles. The writer may submit ten or fifteen titles and then be asked to come up with more ideas. The executive editor and editor choose a title, usually from the submitted list. Soon after the acceptance of the revised manuscript, the writer submits the dedication and scripture that will appear in the book.

The manuscript is reviewed by a copy editor who looks for any incongruences, such as a character having blond hair in the beginning and brown hair later in the story. The copy editor also checks for typos, and any grammar or punctuation mistakes. If she has a question concerning the story, she sends her query to the editor who forwards it to the writer for clarification.

Before the manuscript goes to print, another editor or two and the executive editor read the final copy. Once the editing process is completed, the story is printed in mass market format.


Approximately three months before the release date, the writer receives a case of books to give away or use for contest entries. The Direct to Reader book club receives their books soon after that. The bookstores receive their shipments in time for the books to be on the shelves and ready for purchase by the release date.

I hope you’ve enjoyed this brief review of a story’s journey from conception to publication.

A lot of time and energy goes into publishing a story. The writer works hand in hand with her editor and the other personnel at the publishing house. Every effort is made to create a wonderful story for the reader.

Did you realize what was involved in publishing a story? Are there steps in the process that surprised you? Do you enjoy the cover art? How important is it to you when you buy a book? What about the blurb? 

Grab a cup of coffee and let’s talk about what we like about the stories we read, what attracts our interest and the many facets of the publishing process. Leave a comment to be entered in a drawing for a copy of my April release, DANGEROUS AMISH INHERITANCE.

Stay safe and healthy, dear friends! Let us know if you or a family member is sick or has been exposed to the virus so we can cover you and them with prayer.

Wishing you abundant blessings,

Debby Giusti



Dangerous Amish Inheritance
By Debby Giusti

“Move off the mountain. No one wants you here.”

Can this Amish widow survive her dangerous stalker?

Someone wants Ruthie Eicher off Amish Mountain…enough to terrorize the widow and her boys. Now Ruthie must rely on her former sweetheart, Noah Schlabach—the secret father of her eldest son—as they figure out why. But Noah has turned his back on love and the Amish way of life. Can he shield Ruthie…without breaking her heart again?

Pre-order HERE!

45 comments:

  1. I never realized how much work was put into publishing a story. Thank you for this post. Cover art is one of the things that draw me to a book and then if I like the cover, I will read the blurb. I know, I am one of those people who judge books by their covers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all do, Angeline. The cover catches our eye and we want to learn more. The second thing I do is read the blurb, then the opening lines.

      Delete
    2. Angeline, I usually read the blurb first and decide by that. However, I admit the cover does have influence, especially really good covers. And I hate to admit that a really bad cover can keep me from buying a book even with a good blurb.

      Delete
  2. Hi Debby:

    That was a wonderful synopsis of the process but I didn't see any reference to the blood, sweat, toil, and tears.

    Here's an inspiration that flashed through my mind:

    The hero was an outspoken atheist on campus who loved to torment the heroine who was a missionary in the Campus Crusade for Christ. They comprised an almost irresistible example of unlikes attracting each other. Fifteen to twenty years later both the hero and heroine find themselves quarantined for two weeks in the same facility because of a pandemic.

    Like C.S. Lewis, the hero has become a staunch Christian while the heroine, because of great losses in her life, has lost her faith. They now find themselves captives to both their present and past. They also both know the other's arguments from the inside and outside.

    Around them some people are dying. Maybe it is a cruise ship. They are both now single. Can this conflict be used to create a romance where the Christian faith is the solution to their angst? What has to happen to bridge the 'black moment' and find happiness?

    The book blurb will tell how the book was written while the author was indeed quarantined.

    How would the Amish deal with an outside pandemic?

    Lots of 'what ifs'.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your story idea, Vince. I have a feeling a lot of pandemic stories will appear in about a year! :)

      I was thinking about the Amish last night. Hopefully, they're getting medical care if they fall ill. At least they should be fairly self-sufficient on their farms.

      Delete
    2. I would read that book, Vince.

      Delete
    3. Hi Ruth:

      I was thinking that you were the most capable person to write this story and that I should not provide many details because yours would be so much better. I'd love to see you write it.

      Delete
    4. Hi Debby:

      I would agree that the Amish are very self-sufficient. Even their Sunday services could easily be spread out. The buffet afterwards however may be a problem.

      Yet for the romance story, the heroine could find herself quarantined with Englishers…one of which is a fallen-away Amish who tries not to let the obviously Amish heroine learn about his past. He is now a doctor and the Amish community could really use his services. Why did he leave? What would bring him back. Endless possibilities!

      Delete
    5. I like how the plot is developing, Vince. Lots of conflict. Stay healthy! Hugs to your sweet wife!

      Delete
  3. Wow! That's a lot of work. I've only published with a small press and they were a little different. Thanks for the synopsis on how a larger press works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri! Stay safe and corona free! How did your process differ?

      Delete
  4. Debby, great overview of how this whole process works! I think a lot of folks wonder about what really goes into making a book a book.... and it's like making a wedding cake, a step-by-step process that can't be rushed or have steps skipped because the end product is the result of each step moving forward successfully.

    Thanks for this!

    And can I add a huge thank you to all the editors, copy editors, art folks, all the people who work so hard to put the polish on every book?

    They are unsung heroes, their name goes on nothing.... unless we put it there in acknowledgements, etc. But their work is fundamental to a great product.

    HERE'S TO YOU, PUBLISHING STAFF AWESOME PEOPLE!!! WE LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I hope you'll share a bit about how the books are printed. You've been there and seen it firsthand.

      Yes, I applaud all the folks who work so hard to get the story into the final form!

      Delete
  5. Deb, WOW, what an EXCELLENT overview of the publishing process and evolution of a book -- every aspiring author needs to see this!!

    I especially loved this line: "During this process, the writer loves the story, hates the story, hates herself for writing the story, then starts to like the story again."

    LOL ... AMEN AND AMEN!!

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all writers struggle as they create their stories!!! I know I do!

      Delete
    2. LOL, Julie! I quoted that in my comment as well. :) It's so true!! haha

      Delete
  6. I do appreciate all you great writers....more so since I am an avid reader! Dh and I are in the high risk group for corona so we are staying in......so thankful for books to read! I would love to be in the draw for your new book! Thanks, Debby. Blessings~~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings to you and your husband, Jackie! You're in the drawing. Stay safe! We're praying for you!

      Delete
  7. Debby, I loved reading this from-start-to-finish post for how a book comes to be published. I knew most of these steps, but your explanation gave me greater understanding about some of the pieces of this adventure. I hope you and yours are safe and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I didn't forget a step. It really is a long, involved process that takes almost a year. I'm so grateful to Love Inspired books and to my wonderful editor, Emily Rodmell.

      Hope all is well with you and yours! Covering your sweet family with prayer.

      Delete
  8. Debby, this is a good post. We really need to understand the process so we're not deer in the proverbial headlights. (Just wondering, what freaks deer out in the DAYTIME?)
    I've been visiting Seekerville and other writers' sites since I really got serious about Christian fiction, and this kind of post has prepared me for what to expect.
    I'm not self-quarantined yet, I have the immune system of an oil tanker off the coast of New Orleans, but I'm not going out if I can help it. It helps that most of the things I want to do have been cancelled...I do wear a mask and gloves, I look like a TV doctor! Ha ha.
    Am keeping busy with the last stages of my nonfiction book, working on book talks and other PR for "Westward Hope," and hacking away at my WIP. In addition, I just received my galleys for "Settler's Hope," the second book in Western Dreams, so guess who's going to be doing what while she's stuck at home? God has a sense of humor.
    Anyway,always enjoy Debby's posts.
    Off to do errands. Masked and gloved.
    KB
    Playing it safe in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to start wearing gloves when I go out. Thanks for the reminder, KB. Although I'm staying close to home.

      A writer's life remains about the same...time spent with our computers...alone and without interruption! :)

      Sounds like you're going to be busy during this time of containment.

      Praying for your great immune system to remain strong!

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed this post, Debby. It is fun to see how a book goes from beginning thought to published. I do definitely get taken in by a cover.

    I do hope everyone is staying safe and well. So much has changed for me. My niece's bridal shower was cancelled for this weekend and now her April wedding has been postponed. Not something she could have ever imagined would happen to affect her wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about your niece's shower and wedding. I've heard about a couple who had expected 300 invited guests to attend their wedding...and they all cancelled. :(

      Stay safe, dear friend!

      PS: Covers draw me to the book, for sure!

      Delete
    2. Sandy, I'm so sorry to hear about the disappointment for your poor niece and her fiancé.

      Delete
    3. Sandy, that's too bad about your niece's wedding. You're right...who would have thought this would derail a wedding? I hope she's taking it all in stride. That's tough!!

      Delete
  10. I had no idea of all the steps and phases a book goes through from start to finish when I first decided to try my hand at this writing lark.

    I couldn't imagine how it could take more than a YEAR to write, edit, market, print, publicize, and finally get a book out into readers' hands.

    Boy, I know now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's humbling to know how many folks are working on each of our stories! Bless them all!

      Delete
  11. Debby, this is a great summary of all the steps! It's always been amazing to me how much work goes into each book. It's definitely a labor of love!

    BTW, I loved this quote...
    Debby: "During this process, the writer loves the story, hates the story, hates herself for writing the story, then starts to like the story again."

    Yes! I laughed out loud about the stage of hating the story and hating herself for writing it. hahaha. So true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so many of us feel the same way, don't you?

      Delete
  12. I appreciate all the hard work that goes into a story. I admire what you do. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, it's always great to see you in Seekerville! We love readers...you're so very special to us! Thanks for your support!

      Delete
  13. This is such good info for those of us who haven't gotten that far yet. I know until I started really writing I had no idea what all it took to get published. As a reader I never thought about all the work to get that book in my hands. Thanks for all the info.

    And we are self-quarantined. My daughter's spring break has been extended and online college classes will start on Monday, but it's good to have her home. We're definitely in "mourning" a little bit here, as my son's senior year has been completely changed. He had a lead in the school musical that I'm now sure won't happen, they'll have to cancel prom and maybe even graduation, and I'm just devastated for these kids. Wow. The world is a very different placde than it was last week :(

    Blessings and health to all of my friends here in Seekerville. We'll get through this--with God, coffee, and lots of books!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so bad for your son, Sandy's niece, and other young people who are ready to take their turn at a milestone of life, just to have it cancelled or delayed. We do understand, but still...a huge disappointment that is no one's fault.

      Delete
    2. I pray for our youth. As you said, Glynis, so many special events in their lives have been cancelled. Plus, young people want to be together with their friends. A hard time for them, a time of sacrifice. God bless them all. Extra prayers for your son. I'm sorry!

      Delete
    3. Glynis, I'm so sorry for your son's senior disappointments! We're pretty sure my daughter's boyfriend's graduation will be cancelled. Other colleges in the Georgia system have already done so.

      Delete
  14. A great overview of the publishing process, Debbie!

    Although you left out the copious amounts of tea (or coffee) consumed by both the author and the editors!

    We're laying low here, too. Many activities have been cancelled, but not all because of the Corona virus - I had to cancel the puppy's vet appointment today because of the weather. Yes, it's the first day of spring and we're having a snow storm. :-)

    Stay safe and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow? Oh my gosh! And we're near 80 degrees in GA. Our country is huge and the weather proves it.

      Stay safe!

      Yes, I should have added coffee and tea! And gum! I chew so much gum when I'm writing a story. Probably not what the dentist would recommend.

      Hugs...from afar!

      Delete
    2. We had an inch of rain down in Nebraska, Jan. And … tomorrow … high of 25, strong winds.
      And I just saw two robins hopping around in my front yard. I feel kinda sorry for them.

      Delete
    3. That's so crazy! Debby and I were enjoying a gorgeous spring day today! Like she said, 80 degrees around Atlanta. I had a nice walk to the mailbox and should have made some time to sit outside on the deck.

      Delete
  15. Great points all, Debby. Excellent. I now see my WIP as a mostly finished brick wall!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Debby, First of all, your premise intrigues me and your cover is great-just the right amount of Amish and suspense mixed together. But I mostly popped in to say you made me laugh with this: "During this process, the writer loves the story, hates the story, hates herself for writing the story, then starts to like the story again." This is so true. I always hate the story (and myself!) by the end and then I love it again when it's actually published and I read the book and think, "Not as bad as I thought." lol Thanks for this post. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."