Friday, April 17, 2020

Creating The Wow Moment


Hello everyone, Winnie Griggs here. As I’ve mentioned once before, many of these articles I pen come about because I want to research certain aspects of fiction writing to improve my own writing. And that’s most definitely true of this post. Lately I’ve wanted to dig into what I call the story’s Wow Moment.

The Wow Moment goes by a number of names – Plot Twist (though it’s more than that), the Big Reveal, the Unexpected Turn, the Reader Epiphany. But whatever you call it, it’s that moment in your story that makes the reader come bolt upright and go “Wow, I never saw that coming” yet they also totally buy into it. It also makes the reader reevaluate everything that came before this point in the story and resets their assumptions of what will come next.

Think of the moment when Darth Vader reveals he’s Luke’s father, or when it’s revealed that Malcolm Crowe, Bruce Willis’ character in The Sixth Sense, was himself a ghost. In literature,  great Wow Moments can be found in O’Henry’s gift of the Magi and The Lottery by Shirley Jackson.

We can all agree that when done well, this is a very effective tool to ramp up the reader’s enjoyment of, and engagement with, your story. So how do we go about creating these in our own stories? That’s the question I set out to answer for myself. Here are some tips I’ve gleaned through observation and research.

Before I dig into the meat of this, though, there's one thing I want to make clear - not every story requires a big Wow Moment. There are lots of quieter stories that work just fine, that perfectly satisfy the reader without one.

Now, let’s dig in and discuss some various techniques and tips I've come up with.


Reader expectations.
In order to surprise your reader you must first understand what her expectations are. And as a reader yourself this should be fairly easy to do. So when it comes time to craft one of your story’s major turning points, make a list of at least 10 things that might happen. This should include everything that immediately jumps out at you, no matter how cliched, far fetched or predictable. Then set those aside. Somewhere in your next list of 10 things you will hopefully find an idea you can pull out and explore, tweak, twist and turn inside out to make for a more satisfying, much less predictable twist.

As for the ideas you didn’t use, any that are interesting or unique but just didn’t work for this scene, make note and file them away – they may come in handy later.

Characterization
Some of the best and most electrifying Wow Moments are plumbed from multi-dimensional characters with complex motivations rather than from outside circumstances. Provide enough detail about your character to set expectations in your readers' mind for how he will react to certain situations and personalities, then set up your Wow Moment scene in such a way that, in hindsight, it makes perfect sense for your character to act against type. But beware, you can’t make your character act against type simply for effect. Your character must have a believable reason and strong motivation to do so. Moreover, you must also have a story purpose for this scene, a purpose other than you just wanted to shock the reader.

Misdirection / Red Herrings
This is an especially useful technique in mystery stories. This involves more than simply sprinkling in multiple possibilities for the answer to the mystery or puzzle. To make for a strong Wow Moment, you need to bury the clues to your big revelation unobtrusively in the emotions or actions of several previous scenes, ideally in action or dialogue where some other major focal issue is happening. And the more offhand the reference is, the better.

Sub Plots
Sub plots can be used to create or enhance a Wow Moment.

The sub plot could start off as a low key, minor thread and then suddenly throw an unexpected spotlight onto the main thread. It could dovetail into the main plot in an unexpected way that lends new meaning to the entire storyline.

Alternately, the sub plot can be used to distract the reader from some key element in the main plot thread, allowing the twist, when it appears, to carry a bigger punch.

Work Backwards
If you know from the outset what sort of Wow Moment you want to create, then you can work backwards from that point and figure out just what sort of foreshadowing and clue planting you need to do.



Believability
Remember, we want to surprise the reader, but we also want them to buy into the twist. It needs to make sense in hindsight. If it comes from completely out of the blue or appears too gimmicky (such as the infamous “it was all just a dream”),  the reader will feel cheated and/or insulted. A good Wow Moment enhances and deepens the storyline, characterization or both.

You accomplish believability by using foreshadowing. It should be subtle, though, so it doesn’t broadcast your twist before you get there. As an author, you need to walk that fine line between planting enough clues to make it obvious in hindsight, but burying it in enough ‘clutter’ so that it becomes almost invisible.

Again, think of The Sixth Sense. Once you knew the twist, you were able to go back and view the movie and see that the clues were all there if you’d only known how to read them.

Story Purpose
Never include a plot twist just for the sake of having one or to up the drama. Those are never satisfying to the reader and you run the risk of tipping your story over into the realm of melodrama or purple prose. Instead, only include them in a way that flows naturally from your story and characters. The Wow Moment is not there just to amaze your reader, it should explain and enhance the underlying meaning of the story itself.

Uniqueness
If your plot twist relies on clichés, overused story elements or a famous twist employed in the past, then it won’t create the Wow Moment you are looking for. In fact it can actually lead to your reader setting the book aside as too predictable and mundane.

Choose Your POV
If your Wow Moment involves the reader learning that one of the characters has a big secret – he’s royalty, she has a twin, he escaped from an asylum, she’s secretly wealthy – then that issue can’t be touched on even peripherally while in that character’s POV, otherwise your reader will feel cheated.

In addition, selecting the right POV can allow for story questions and wrong assumptions when viewed from that focal point. Again, think of The Sixth Sense. If the story had been told from either the young boy’s or the wife’s POV the impact would have been lost – it could only work when told from Malcolm Crowe’s POV.

And here's an extra quote, just for fun :)


There you have it – my notes on how to craft a Wow Moment for your book.

Readers love to encounter these Wow Moments, but only when they are executed effectively. Those are the moments that stay with them long after the story ends, it’s what often makes them go back and re-read the story, savoring the recognition of the clues now that they know what it is all leading up to. It’s what can make your books “must reads” for your fans.

So now it's your turn.  Do you have any tips to add to the list?  Do you have any favorite Wow Moments from a book or movie?  Share and you'll get your name in the hat for winner's choice of any book from my backlist.

25 comments:

  1. Wow Winnie, this is a meaty post. I'll have to come back to it, going off on a road trip with my daughter. Yes, we're wearing masks.
    I do plan to come back to this one, lots of good information. Thanks Winnie.
    PLANNING WEEKEND. Planning to work on my WIP, bake, parboil some chicken for future meals, order stuff with PayPal and, ew, do our taxes. It is sunny and cool here, but we're expecting snow. Nice thing about spring snow, doesn't last.
    Winnie I am actually READING one of your books now, the twofer with "A Baby Between Them" and "The Proper Wife." What fun!
    Have a great weekend if we don't talk again,
    KB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Kaybee, glad you enjoyed the post. A road trip sounds like so much fun right now! I've been cooped up in the house since mid January, literally only going out for follow-up visits with my doctor.

      And thanks for the kind words about my books, it makes me happy to know you are enjoying them.

      Delete
  2. Wait! Bruce Willis's character was a ghost?! I didn't know that. Of course, I never saw the movie, but I know enough to have not seen that coming.

    Excellent post, Winnie. One I will definitely be rereading. You're such a great teacher. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mindy I'm so sorry if I truly did spoil that movie for you. So much has been written about it in the years since it came out that I figured everyone knew. The twist in that movie was so masterfully done that I watched it three times just to study the technique of how he pulled it off

      Delete
    2. I think I had already known the ending when I watched the movie. Sometimes when a movie looks intriguing and I hear that it has a major plot twist or surprise ending, I know I need to go see it at the theater before someone spoils it. Actually, come to think of it, Darth Vader being Luke's father was spoiled for me by a college friend before I had a chance to see it. I guess I need to see more movies right away! I do enjoy a good plot twist, though.

      Delete
    3. Sandy, someone told me the big surprise ending in The Sixth Sense as well because I'd said I'd likely never go see it myself. But once I heard the story I HAD to see it. In some ways knowing the twist actually enhanced my enjoyment because I could watch it with an eye toward figuring out how he pulled it off.

      Delete
  3. I love a good twist that I never saw coming. I'm not certain that I'm good at creating them, though! Thanks for these tips to help me construct a great epic moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica, you're quite welcome. As I said above, this is as much for my own benefit as anyone's :)

      Delete
  4. I love WOW moments - especially ones I totally didn't see coming. I think of recent reads, and one that comes to mind is Tom Threadgill's latest novel and Collateral Damage by Lynette Eason - I did not see either WOW moment coming.

    Thanks for sharing Winnie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee-Ann, thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely have to check these out!

      Delete
    2. I think Lynette Eason is good with plot twists.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Sandy. After this double endorsement I'm heading off to order it now :)

      Delete
    4. I'll look for Lynette's book too!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this post, Winnie! I always enjoy going along on your adventures of digging into the writerly gig. :-)

    That Wow moment can be awesome when it's done well. I love it when it hits me...and then I have to go back and reread to figure out how the author pulled it off. No, not "pulled it off." Carefully crafted it. Because it is a craft, and some authors are so good at it!

    Definitely something to shoot for in my own writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan. Yes, pulled it off does trivialize the effort involved a bit doesn't it. Even if the idea comes to you in a flash of inspiration, structuring all the set up and foreshadowing to effect the desired WOW Moment is a definite art.

      Delete
  6. Great post, Winnie! I'm planning to read it again and again. It's filled with meat, for sure! Thanks.

    Sixth Sense hit me. Never. Saw. It. Coming. So well done. Darth Vader too. Love those WOW Moments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debby. And I think Sixth Sense hit everyone that way. It was so masterfully crafted.

      Delete
  7. Hi Winnie:

    I'd like to add my favorite WOW moment to the discussion. I like a WOW moment that takes me by surprise, is well worth the reading time required, and one in which when the WOW moment it is sprung, I want to slap myself because I never saw it coming and darn well should have seen it coming many chapters earlier. Now that's a WOW moment!

    I don't usually like a twist or wow that the writer has to spend a whole chapter of the book just to explain how the detective figured it out. Agatha Christie and the tv show, "Death in Paradise" often do this.

    I consider doing this to be a sign of failure by the writer. Of course, almost any writer could make the plot so complicated that most readers could not solve it…at least not with any certainty.

    Big deal. Ever since the ancient Greeks did this in plays that were so complicated that a God had to literally descend from heaven, actually on a wire from a crane, to sort the plot out and explain things to the audience, (Deus ex Machina) this has not been considered good writing.

    I also don't like it when the Wow Moment is the only thing that makes the story work or makes it a story that I would never want to read again. To me this is like a very long-winded joke that takes forever to reach the punch line. Sure the punch line is funny, and you may have a good laugh, but you soon realize that the joke was not worth the effort and time it took to hear it. (You could have laughed at 30 Henny Youngman one-liners in the same amount of time.) Thoughtful and kind people will even ask others before telling such a joke, "stop me if you've already heard this".

    A story has to be worth the candle without the WOW moment. The first time in history a writer tries this, a wow alone story, it can become a classic that may even be much copied. But that's all it is. I don't particularly like O. Henry or even Maupassant short stories which do this. They are like 'one trick pony' stories.

    Actually, I particularly like a hidden and delayed WOW moment. In these stories you read the story and it makes sense as good writing, even literature, but it seems just average. Like Hemingway's minimalist short stories; however, after being read, at some point, it occurs to you that the story was really about something else! It was actually a young couple having a serious conversation about getting an abortion happening in the 1920' s.

    This is like having a coming of age moment. It's a "how could I have not seen that moment." Because the story made perfect sense in the way you were reading it. The painter Beverley Doolittle, has hidden animals in her landscapes and you may never see those animals but these are still fine paintings.

    Sorry, I know this is long and opinionated but I blame it on being 'sheltered in place'. Darn virus!

    Not exactly a WOW ending but it's what I had to work with. :)

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vince - thanks for sharing your thoughts. And as I said, not every story (or post!) needs a Wow Moment. :)

      Delete
  8. I'm not sure what happened. I thought I had written a comment that wasn't a reply to someone else but it isn't here. I don't remember what exactly I said other than I really enjoy plot twists.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL Sandy, glad you enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this post, Winnie. I am married to a man who is very hard to fool, so he caught on to the twist in Sixth Sense as we were watching it! He realized it way before it was revealed, which made it kind of interesting to watch mid-way through the movie to see if his guess was correct. Anyway! You’ve given me a lot of great food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gabrielle. Wow, I think this is the first person I've heard of who figured out the twist ahead of time. He must be very perceptive.

      Delete
  11. Winnie, this isn't a blog post, it's a wonderful seminar on story development. Wonderful!!!!

    I have learned that the second time I go through a manuscript is when I see blank spots or spaces that need a word or a phrase or an expression to help the reader move in the direction I need them to move to make the story flow... and it's amazing what a poignant moment of silence, a raised brow or the image of stilled hands can do to get a point across.

    But I don't always see that on pass #1!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruthy, Thanks! I love researching this type of topic. And yes, second and third passes through are where I do my best layering and foreshadowing.

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."