Monday, April 13, 2020

Writing--The Desire of Our Hearts

Guest Jamie Adams



Life doesn’t always go as planned. As I started to jot down notes about my writing journey the phone rang. It was the doctor’s office calling to tell us our daughter’s surgery planned for May 2nd had to be moved up to April 3rd. This conversation took place on April 1st, but it was not an April Fool’s joke. 

I had to drop everything and start juggling schedules. There were teachers to notify (my girls go to an online virtual academy) and my students in China (I teach ESL online) would need to have classes rescheduled. When I sat back down to write my thoughts were on my child and I was reminded of something that happened years ago. I want to share it here and then tie it in with my journey to becoming published. It took place in 2008. 



While listening to my six-year-old daughter praying before bed she asked God to make our roses bloom. Sweet, but it was February and our pretty rose bush was sleeping. I didn’t discourage her but thought to myself ‘she won’t remember in the morning.’
I know you expect me to share how a flower bloomed the next day, but what is truly amazing isn’t the flower so much as how and where. We have a circular driveway and I always pull forward to leave the house. On this particular morning my path was blocked. I don’t recall what it was, but I had to back up to leave. After everyone was buckled, I turned the key and looked in my side view mirror. The first thing I saw was the rose bush beside the mailbox. Centered in the reflection was one little bud that had bloomed. I would not have seen it had I pulled forward and it was not visible from the road. 
I was humbled, but my lesson in faith had just begun. That year was the year of the Super Tuesday tornado outbreak. After traveling 122 miles and wiping out our little town’s business district, the whirlwind lifted less than 300 yards from our house. What happened that evening is a story in itself. As you can imagine there was a lot of praising God going on at hour house that night. I was reminded of the rosebush and threw that into the mix of praises. 
Three nights later, energized by the power of answered prayer my dear daughter had an even bigger request. She asked God to fill the yard with flowers. I didn’t discourage her, but I was a bit concerned because this time she would surely remember her request in the morning. The next day was Saturday. There were still broken limbs from the tornado to clean up. We live on two acres in the woods. Most of our outdoor time is spent on the front deck where we can enjoy the view and listen to the birds sing. The back yard is that area that must be mowed in the summer but otherwise doesn’t get a lot of attention. Our clean up led us to the back and some interesting debris. Somewhere along the tornado’s path it must have lifted a florist supply store. Scattered all over the back yard were tiny plastic flowers of every color imaginable. To this day I can still see the looks of joy on the faces of my little girls as they filled my arms with flower after flower. 


God is amazing. He knew what my daughter was going to ask for that night before she was even born. It reminds me of Psalm 37:4 “Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
I love books. As a child, I made up stories before I could read. As an adult, I rarely get a good night’s sleep because I lay awake acting out stories in my mind. In my heart there is a strong desire to write. I believe God put it there. 
The best advice I could give to anyone who wants to become a writer is to read, read, read and then write what you like. One thing that surprised me when I first sought publication was the support that came from other writers. Seekerville is a testimony to that truth. So many of us have found a treasure trove of information and support from this wonderful group of authors. 
My first traditionally published book, Cold Creek Mountain is a Western Romance set in Colorado. 

Lilly Fletcher’s last duty to her recently deceased employer is to deliver his orphaned grandchildren to their uncle on Cold Creek Mountain. The final step of the journey requires securing a guide, which is not an easy task for a governess who prides herself on being independent.

Ex-scout Hayden Dawson has been grieving the tragic loss of his family for several years. When he’s asked to take a fancy governess from the city along with her wards up the mountain, he refuses at first. He has a ranch to run. However, outnumbered, by his foreman and his meddling childhood teacher, he’s coerced out of retirement for one last trip. When the ride up Cold Creek Mountain doesn’t go as planned, can these two wounded hearts work together to protect the children?

*****Jamie will be giving away two e-book copies of her debut, Cold Creek Mountain, from Anaiah Press today! Please let us know in the comments if you'd like to be entered.

Jamie Adams fell in love with books at an early age. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott opened her imagination and sparked a dream to be a writer. She wrote her first book as a school project in 6th grade. A graduate of the Institute of Children's Literature as well as member of American Christian Fiction Writers, The Writing Desk and several critique groups she spends most of her time writing, reading or learning more about the craft near to her heart. She and her family live in the Ozarks surrounded by forest and wild life. Visit Jamie at her Facebook author page and her Amazon Author Page.

46 comments:

  1. Thank you for stopping by, Jamie! Your reminders of God's faithfulness and His answers to even the smallest prayer were just the encouragement I needed today! And congratulations on the book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, I'm so glad you found encouragement today!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Glynis! It is amazing that nothing is too big or small for God.

      Delete
  2. Welcome, Jamie! We're so glad you're here. Congratulations on your traditional debut! And what a wonderful story you've shared. I love how your daughter's faith must have been built through those two events.

    I love that Bible verse! Publishing was a dream of mine for almost 12 years before I finally sold my first book. All in God's perfect timing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Missy! God's timing is perfect. My manuscript sat on a shelf for five years pretty much forgotten until I saw a post on facebook from Anaiah Press and Candee Fick liked the story.

      Delete
  3. Good morning, Jamie! Psalm 37:4 is one of my favorite verses. When we delight ourselves in the Lord, we see His works everywhere, every day. And, hey we have two things in common; I'm a graduate of the Institute of Children's Lit (a few years back) and I live in the Ozarks in SW MO! I found you on Amazon and Facebook so I'm following you now. I would love a chance to read your latest book and I'll have to start buying your others!
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, we're so glad you stopped by!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Karen! I live in NE AR in the foothills of the Ozarks. It's beautiful in your part of the country.

      Delete
  4. Good morning, Jamie. What a testimony of the faith of a child.

    Your book looks good. Please put me in the drawing. I also hope your daughter's surgery went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I meant to put a P.S. at the end. Her daughter's surgery did go well!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Sandy! My daughter is doing great. We leave for her follow-up visit this afternoon.

      Delete
  5. Yes please I would love to be entered. This sounds like a wonderful story.
    I have tears and goosebumps from the flower story. God really is amazing.
    quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori. My daughter, Crystal, did get a bit of a reputation after that. For a while friends would ask me to have her pray for them. The wonderful thing is God loves all of us the same.

      Delete
  6. What a great testimony of God's faithfulness to His children, Jamie!

    Our journeys to publication are all different, aren't they? I'm looking forward to reading Cold Creek Mountain. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan! I hope you like Hayden and Lilly's story.

      Delete
  7. Jamie, I love this story.... the beauty of all of it! Thank you so much for hanging out in the streets of Seekerville today! Welcome aboard!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth! I'm happy to be here. Seekerville has been such a blessing to my as a writer.

      Delete
  8. Jamie, I love how God answers the prayers of our children. What a beautiful reminder that He's always ready and able to answer us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Lee-Ann! It is very sweet and she'll always have that memory for when doubts come in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jamie:

    I really like the Ozarks. I was wondering if you've seen the IMAX movie, "Ozarks Legacy & Legend" that plays in Branson? I like to see it once a year. I just loved the Louis L'Amour books that take place in the mountains. I'd have like to see more. Debby's new Amish book has this quote spoken to a poor Amish widow, “Move off the mountain. No one wants you here.” That's mountain people…at least some of them. Outsiders and revenuers not welcome! :)

    I am also wondering why you picked the 1898 date just as the Guilded Age was ending. Is there something going on in that year that you need in the story? I'm very interested in US history between 1868 and 1911. So much energy and invention.

    Please enter me in the drawing for your new book.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vince, a great question. I look forward to hearing her answer about the time period!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Vince. Sorry it's taken so long to answer. We just got back from taking our daughter for her first follow up visit. She is doing great. I have not seen "Ozarks Legacy & Legend" but will have to check it out next time we are in Branson. My mom's family is from Arkansas but we were raised in California. When I moved here 30 years ago I learned real fast for some people you're an outsider unless your grandpa was born here. Lucky for me my great great grandfather was one of the original land owners one county over.

      I chose 1898 because my hero was a scout during the final days of the Santa Fe Trail's popularity. I could have gone back a few years earlier but '98 works well with some of the technology used in the sequel "Return to Cold Creek". I also am interested in history during that time.

      Delete
    4. Jamie, it sounds like it was a great choice of dates for your series!

      Delete
  11. Jamie, congrats on your debut! Great cover and the blurb hooked me! How special that God didn't disappoint your daughter! So special and so God! I can see those flowers on your back deck and the tiny rose bud tucked in the bush. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, I could just picture it, too. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Debby! It is a memory I will always cherish. I also love the book cover. I think that was one of the hardest things about going traditional. What were they going to give me as a cover lol This one was better than anything I imagined.

      Delete
  12. Hi Jamie, the strength of child-like faith. So precious. I loved the story and the blog post. Congratulations on your new release!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got Cold Creek Mountain! YAY! Instant gratification. The book sounds great!
    I hope your daughter is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! My daughter is doing well. The doctor was happy with her progress. I hope you enjoy the book!

      Delete
  14. Oh Jamie, what a beautiful story of your daughter's simple faith - gave me goosebumps. But we should never be surprised by God's faithfulness. Congratulations on your debut release! It sounds like a great story.
    And so glad to hear your daughter is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Winnie! She is recovering very quickly. The doctor was pleased with how well she is healing.

      Delete
  15. Congratulations! Would love to be entered. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! How wonderful! And I love the story of how God answered your girls' prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Erica! It is pretty special.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jamie:

    It is interesting that you mentioned the Santa Fe Trail. I've read several books about its history plus western novels and I really felt bad when I read how the railroads just killed it. It was in a way a major highway of the times. The Cimarron Cutoff crosses through the end of the Oklahoma panhandle out where there are many dinosaur remains. (Talk about history.:))

    Do you have novels out or coming up that use the Santa Fe Trail as a setting? If so what are the titles? This does not seem to be a favorite setting for romance writers but I find it part of the romantic history of the old west.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the idea of a Santa Fe Trail story. My first manuscript was a wagon train story (along the Oregon Trail) and I really enjoyed the research involved. It was amazing. Right now I'm working on two stories one is the sequel to Cold Creek Mountain and the other is set in the Ozarks. I'm going to put the Santa Fe Trail idea on my to be written list. In fact when we are able to travel again I might just take a road trip.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."