Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Back to Basics - Conflict 101

by Mindy Obenhaus

Conflict. The word alone is enough to make us squirm. Most of us avoid conflict at all costs. Then you become a writer and they say you must have conflict.

Noooo…

The reality is that a story without conflict is, well, boring. If Cinderella’s stepmother and stepsisters had helped her with her chores so she could get ready for the ball, we would’ve had no reason to cheer Cinderella on to victory. If the yellow-brick road hadn’t been plagued with flying monkeys and the wizard hadn’t told Dorothy to bring him the broom of the wicked witch, Dorothy would have kept moping, never realizing that home was a pretty special place after all.

Of course, conflict doesn’t always come in the form of a villain. Conflict is anything that stands in the way of a character achieving their goal. Have you ever been late for an appointment because you were stuck in traffic? And how many horrible scenarios ran through your head before you got to said appointment? Only to find out that the person you were meeting with was stuck in the same traffic.
Conflict is part of growth. It teaches you to leave extra early for those important appointments. It forces you to look within yourself to realize that maybe you can love again. And conflict encourages us to turn to God and allow Him to give us the strength we need to overcome something we think is impossible. Such as adding conflict.

So how do we how do we create conflict?

Since we're still warming up to conflict, let's keep things simple.
  • Know your character’s goal – While characters have an overarching goal in a story, each and every scene also needs a goal, motivation and conflict. Start by asking yourself what the character’s goal is in any given scene.
  • Keep them from reaching that goal – Say their goal is to make it to the bank before it closes. What will happen if they don’t? Will a check bounce? Will their house be foreclosed on? And what if there’s a traffic accident along the way that prevents them from getting there? See how those small things can all work together to create conflict for your character?
  • Take things from bad to worse – In his book Writing the Breakout Novel, Donald Maass says to ask yourself this: What is the worst thing that can happen to your character at that moment? Then he says to find a way to make it happen. I’ll admit, I kind of blew that one off for a while. But then I tried it and not only did it work, I actually kind of enjoyed it. Me, the one who hated conflict. Go figure.
Conflict helps refine your characters which then enriches the story. Conflict can bring out the best or the worst in people. It shows them and the reader what they’re really made of. What's important to them. Conflict can humble a person. And it is an essential part of every story.

Writers, do you struggle with conflict or look forward to it? Readers, how do you feel about the push and pull of conflict in stories? Often, it’s what keeps you reading. Which is a good thing, unless you have to get up early and you just can’t put the book down. Then you have conflict. 

Leave a comment to be entered to win an advanced copy of my July release, A Father’s Promise.
Is he ready for fatherhood?
He doesn’t think he deserves a family… But now he has a daughter.
Stunned to discover he has a child, Wes Bishop isn’t sure he’s father material. But his adorable daughter needs him, and he can’t help feeling drawn to her mother, Laurel Donovan—a woman he’s finally getting to know. But can this sudden dad overcome a past tragedy that has him convinced he’s not meant to be a husband or a father…and make a promise of forever?

Three-time Carol Award finalist, Mindy Obenhaus, is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She’s a multi-published author of contemporary Christian romance, and lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, two sassy pups, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she’s not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com

38 comments:

  1. One of the first writing classes I every took, Davis Bunn said, "No conflict, no story." BAM! Lightbulbs! I had been writing happy people in happy land, not people striving for a goal they might not attain!

    I highly recommend Debra Dixon's GMC: Goal, Motivation, Conflict to newer authors, and I dip into it from time to time for a refresher course!

    Nice post today, Mindy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica, I think a lot of us have that exact same experience. And Deb Dixon's GMC is a must for new writers. Embracing conflict can be difficult. Even when we know we need to have it, it's a struggle to get it in there.

      Delete
  2. Conflict is a dirty word to someone who is a nine on the enneagram like me :) I think my problem with writing is that I've taken such pains in my real life to avoid any kind of conflict that I not only have a hard time letting bad things happen to my characters, I sometimes can't even think of any! This is definitely the hardest part of the story, but working through the Story Equation by Susie May Warren and reading Debra Dixon has helped me be able to do start thinking in that push-pull idea to (hopefully) create a story people will want to read!

    Thanks for another wonderful post, Mindy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, I know you and I have had this discussion here before. Matter of fact, that's what spurred me to do this post, so thank you.

      Few people enjoy conflict in their real life. So you're right that because we avoid it in reality, we want the same for our characters. We want them to be happy. And they will. The Donald Maass question really helped me get things in perspective. In romance, sometimes the conflict is simply putting the h/h together when they don't want to be. But keeping that HEA in mind helps, too. That's the destination. But like a Family Circus cartoon, the journey is never a straight line. There has to be mud puddles, bumps and seesaws along the way.

      Delete
  3. Hey Mindy, as an avid reader, I find conflict in waiting for a favorite author's NEXT story! Especially A Father's Promise! Please enter me.
    Keep safe and keep up the great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Mindy. I am now working on revising my WIP and I am looking to make sure conflict is in it. I will keep your post in mind. Please enter me in the drawing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're entered, Sandy. Good luck on those revisions.

      Delete
  5. In real life, I hate conflict, but teenagers are forcing me to learn how to navigate conflict rather than avoid it. :) It's so uncomfortable.

    In writing, it's becoming easier to put in conflict. Because, as you said, characters as well as real life people, only grow through facing the hard things in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, your cover is beautiful!!

      Delete
    2. Jeanne, teenagers tend to teach us a lot of things. Even things we have no desire to learn. It's all a part of that growth. ;)

      Thank you, I love that cover. Adorable baby, hunky guy... Contented sigh.

      Delete
  6. I really don't like conflict and neither does my husband. it takes us a couple of hours to have a fight because we're so careful what we say to each other, because we may have to take it back.
    Conflict between H and H is sometimes hard for me, while external conflict comes more easily. I can always think up some kind of villain, and when you do historicals the external conflict is almost always there, be it the Oregon Trail or the social mores of the Regency. People are frustrating, but it's what makes good fiction.
    At home today and trying to Get Things Done.
    Congratulations to the Genesis semi-finalists.
    KB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, you crack me up. A couple of hours to have a fight. LOL! You have mastered the art of tactful arguing.

      Next time I need help with external conflict, you'll be hearing from me. ;)

      Delete
  7. I have learned to love conflict in stories as long as it's organic, not just a plant by the author to extend the book... or a repeat of stupid mistakes the hero or heroine already made and acknowledged two or three or seven times before.... but real conflict, the kind that arises from past times or early mistakes or harsh life lessons. We all understand those. We've all had them. And we've survived, so when a character pushes through, we cheer them! Yay!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *sigh* Conflict.

    It's hard to write conflict into a beloved character's story, but then I have to step back and consider why I like her so much. Is it because she's had everything in life handed to her? Is it because she woke up one day and the man of her dreams was knocking on her door?

    No. I grow to love a character because I know the heartache she's endured, or the rough life, or the obstacles she's had to overcome to become the person she is in this story. Conflict either destroys our characters (the bad guys) or makes them grow and bloom. It is the character who blossoms in spite of adversity (or because of it) that we love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Jan. Even the sigh. It's hard to hurt people we love. But it's like disciplining our children. It's never fun (despite what our kiddos might think), but without it they won't learn and grow to be better people.

      Delete
    2. Jan, you know that I don't like conflict :) but summed up perfectly why conflict is necessary. Which is why your stories are so good!

      Delete
  9. Hi Mindy:

    I don't think it is conflict per se which is the key here. Conflict can be very boring. For example, so many of the superhero movies have a scene where the hero fights a monster and wins, then moves on only to fight another monster with more difficulty and wins. This happens for 2 hours and 20 minutes at which time the hero defeats the last monster. This is not only episodic it's idiotic. It also can be great box office as an exciting light show of computer graphics which fascinates those who delight in shiny new objects.

    I think what readers want most is 'anticipation and resolution' and resolution that comes sooner than they expected. This creates page-turners. Keep the readers desperately wanting to learn what happens next, and they will surely turn those pages like a modern day John Paul Jones: "Damn the torpedoes, keep on reading".

    If you can create a page-turning tornado with conflict, fine. If you can do it in other ways, that also works as well. Conflict is just one tool that can create 'anticipation and resolution".

    Conflict is like your neighbor's burglar alarm going off for hours with it getting louder and louder every hour. It will sure get your attention but it sure gets annoying. You just want to smash it. (Well, you can't toss it across the room.)

    I like streams of conflict. One stream gets resolved only to surprisingly develop into two different unexpected new streams. Make the seemingly welcome resolutions of conflicts create even greater conflicts. Make two different streams of conflict mutually exclusive so if you solve one, the other gets much worse. Reward the reader by resolving some conflicts early. Don't wait to the HEA, because the reader might not wait!

    Example of "Where's the Conflict?"

    The poor heroine's greatest wish is to be invited to the ball at the castle. This is an impossibility but she mistakenly is sent an invitation intended for another woman who is rich. Wow! Next scene the poor heroine is walking into the ballroom in a beautiful ball gown.

    Wait a minute! Don't I have to read 80 pages of conflict about how she got ready to attend the ball?

    No, dear reader, you get to the ball immediately.

    Yea, but, how did she manager to get there? Where did that beautiful dress come from? What's going on? What kind of price did she have to pay? This just doesn't happen!

    Dear reader, you want to know the answers to those questions, read on. Turn those pages. Each answer will provoke more questions, each new answer will surprise and delight, intrigue and tease, and make you turn the next page turn with gusto.

    Conflict is good; however, always keeping the reader anxious to know what happens on the next page is even better. :)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vince, you're always twisting something around to look at it from a different angle. You keep me on my toes, buddy. Conflict doesn't have to be a villain. My greatest conflict ever single is what to fix for dinner. Do you know what kind of anticipation that builds in my family? ;)

      You are correct that the reader is anxious to know what happens on the next page. They want to see how the conflict is resolved, so they keep reading. Conflict creates anticipation. And that's vital to any story.

      Delete
  10. I love to read conflict that isn’t contrived. Conflict in my writing used to make me cringe. Now I’m just flinching. But since I grow to love my characters and want them to change I make them face hard things. Easy for me when I’m sitting comfortably nibbling chocolates and they’re the ones suffering. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Dalyn! Nicely put. Now pass the chocolate. ;)

      Delete
  11. I just joined ACFW. I have been thinking about it a long time but finally did it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a book lover and reviewer I love seeing how conflict is resolved. Thank you for sharing as it is interesting to read. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Lucy. We love hearing what our readers think.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the great reminders, Mindy! I'm a conflict avoider in real life, so it's always been difficult for me to write it. I appreciate your 101 class!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the enlightening post, Mindy! Your new book sounds so intriguing, and that cover is amazing!

    I don't enjoy conflict in my own life, but I'm definitely okay with it in the stories I read, especially when it gets resolved in a satisfying way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winnie, we do love those satisfying endings. ;)

      Delete
  15. Thank you for the post. Whenever I read I always get so anxious when I get to the conflict. But it does make the book more interesting. I can't wait for your new book to come out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angeline, I feel that same anxiety when I read. Believe it or not, there was a time when I would get so tied up in knots that I would go and read the last page of a book just to assure myself that the h/h ended up together. Then I'd be satisfied and could go back and finish the rest of the book. I know... The horror. :D

      Delete
  16. I absolutely have to work on conflict. In real life I'll do anything to avoid it. A couple weeks ago I almost tossed out an idea because it had too much conflict. Then I was like "wait, that's what I should be looking for!"
    After that, I have to learn more creative dialogue because I'm not that witty either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonya, it's easier to pare back the conflict than add it, so YAY you! The dialog will come.

      Delete
  17. Hello Mindy I try to avoid conflict when I can but if I am reading a book and there is conflict I have to keep reading to see what is going on! Can't wait to read this book sounds amazing Thank you for the chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Sarah. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  18. Hi Mindy,

    What a beautiful cover. It's definitely swoon worthy!

    Thanks for these tips on conflict. I'm always conflicted when I have to create more conflicts for my characters. Haha, I've been home alone with my dog for too long.

    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I think we're all going a little stir crazy. And I feel your conflict over conflict. Sometimes it's just to stinkin' hard. ;)

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."