Friday, July 3, 2020

A Grand Old Flag Day in Seekerville!

Gold Star Family Memorial, honoring those who've made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom... and honoring their families.

We wanted to take this Friday, July 3rd, in a year when there will be fewer parties and picnics and celebrations going on due to the current pandemic to tell you all why we love America... what we love about the red, white and blue.

Is it (are we?) perfect?

No.

But we are blessed to live in a country where freedom rings, where the freedoms to speak, worship and bear arms are regarded with a seriousness that isn't found in many places. We are blessed to live in a country where we are free because of the brave, so Ruthy's salute is to our military, past and present. Those impressive Washington war memorials and local memorials aren't just there to look good.... they've been erected to remind us of the sacrifice others have made for you... and me. So to our military, past and present, I thank  you from the bottom of my heart. And God bless you. I'm free to write this because you took up the sword in my name.

Remembering the "Forgotten War", the 70th anniversary of the invasion of South Korea by North Korea, June 25th, 1950. 


Cate - 

As a child, I was wildly patriotic, a huge fan of the Founding Fathers (particularly John Adams), and was happy to live in the greatest country on earth. It wasn't until I was older that I realized those freedoms I cherished weren't shared equally by all. Many years ago, when I taught American government to seniors in high school, I used to love to start the year with a discussion of two dueling quotes - 
Stephen Decatur - “Our country! In her intercourse with foreign nations, may she always be in the right; but our country, right or wrong.”

versus

Carl Schurz - My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.

It was always a great discussion.

Carl Schurz intrigues me as much as John Adams ever did. He was a German immigrant who fought for the Union, served as a Senator from Missouri, urged high moral standards in government, and had complete confidence in the American people to do what was right. I think he's a wonderful reminder of what makes America strong. 






Jan - 

My husband and I are blessed to live only a few miles from Mount Rushmore, also known as the "Shrine of Democracy."



Construction on this impressive memorial was started in the 1920's and finished in 1941. Gutzon Borglum, the sculptor of the monument, had originally wanted to include a history of the United States from 1776 on. His idea was to carve the words on the side of the mountain, but the entablature was never completed. Even though Borglum teamed up with Hearst newspapers to run an essay contest in 1934, the winner's essay was never included in the carving.

Instead, in 1971 the winner of that contest, William Andrew Burkett, donated a bronze plaque of his award winning essay, and it is now displayed on the Borglum View Terrace at Mount Rushmore, accessed by the President's View Trail. 


You can read his entire piece here: History of the United States of America

I love what he wrote at the conclusion of his essay:

"Holding no fear of the economic and political, chaotic clouds hovering over the earth, the consecrated Americans dedicate this nation before God, to exalt righteousness and to maintain mankind's constituted liberties so long as the earth shall endure."




Annie -

Growing up, one of the must read and learn in our history class was the history of the United States of America. We read the Declaration of Independence together as a class. There's so much pride in what it means to be an American - to fight for your freedom, and to fulfill the American dream. Our forefathers gave us the chance of a nation, and tomorrow we celebrate our Independence Day. God bless America!



Mindy - 

As a young military wife, I spent three July 4ths on foreign soil. There would be a base-wide picnic and fireworks celebration to mark the event. They had bands that would play and everyone had a great time. But when one of the bands played Lee Greenwood's God Bless the USA, everyone stopped what they were doing and sang along. I still get chill bumps when I think about it. Hearing that song while living in another country reminded us just how special America is. The freedoms we often take for granted were suddenly more precious. It's something I will never forget. God bless the USA!

Erica ~ 

An old favorite that says it so well...



Mary


Debby~

God, family and country are the three things I hold most dear!
I'm so proud to be an American!

Each day, my family and I say the following prayer that I want to share with all of you, 
our wonderful Seekerville blog community.

PRAYER FOR THE HEALING OF OUR NATION
Almighty God, our Rock and our Salvation, we beg you
To pour out your Holy Spirit upon our fractured nation.
Heal the divisions that separate us and
Remove all obstacles to authentic unity.
May you guide this great country of ours and lead our citizens
To embrace one another as neighbors and fellow countrymen,
Created in your own image and likeness.
Give us a fresh opportunity for renewal and true solidarity
For the common good of our homeland.
May we return to our true identity as a people of faith and charity.
Help us to always remain One Nation, Under God,
Indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Amen
By Pedro de la Cruz 

GOD BLESS THE USA!

20 comments:

  1. God bless the USA! Praying for healing of our nation. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Lucy. Praying for exactly that and true freedom for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Seeks, thank you for this. We all need to be reminded of how special this country is, even with its flaws. I live near Lexington and Concord, and I'm always stunned when I visit and realize what those first Patriots were able to pull off. Sometimes I cry. It makes it so real.
    Democracy isn't perfect but that's because it involves people. It's like marriage. Some days you get it right, some days horribly wrong, and some days are "meh." I'm from New England and we have the Town Meeting tradition. If you ever want to see sausage made...
    And World War II, which most of our fathers fought in to preserve those ideals...
    and my current venue of the Oregon Trail, where John McIntyre on "Wagon Train" said it better than I could, "You're going to a place where you only have to look down to tie your boots..."
    and now as we struggle to work out what America means to marginalized people and to give them the experience they deserve...
    My heart is full of my wonderful country today.
    I will be Off Social Media from July 4 through 10. I need to prepare for my book launch, physically, spiritually and emotionally. Also, Social is really getting to me with all the negativity and bickering. If anyone needs to contact me, use e-mail.
    I appreciate the Seekers and everything I've learned here and the personal friendships that have flourished. And just imagine, I only started coming for the free books.
    see you in a week
    Your Kaybee
    Working it out in New Hamphsire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Kaybee, go you! And I love these friendships, too, the grace of colleagues of all ages and the wonderful learning that goes on. Aren't we so blessed to have one another and march boldly into the future? Whatever that future holds... we go forward together!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for a wonderful reminder of how amazing America is. We can't let division and negativity divide us--we aren't perfect, but if we all work to be a better America, the entire world is better for it. Have a safe and happy Independence Day, everyone! God bless America!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  4. .
    Poor Johnny, I'd say he got it wrong,
    at least in some words of that old song
    'cause, you know, Lee, Beauregard, and Bragg,
    they didn't fight for that ragged old flag.
    Yet it's easy to understand John's mistake
    'cause where Johnny went to school,
    it was called the war between the states.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Vince, Johnny didn't get it wrong. The words show that Lee, Beauregard and Bragg were fighting against the North, against staying together:

      And she got cut again at Shiloh Hill
      There was Robert E. Lee, Beauregard, and Bragg
      And the south wind blew hard on that ragged old flag


      "The south wind blew hard on that ragged old flag...."

      I love the way he put it, it makes you realize that the very sovereignty of our nation lay in those battles and fires and charges... and yet the flag waved on.

      And waves, still.

      I love that song/poem.... because any country that stands strong must stand strong during the hard times. It's easy to prevail over good times. Easy times.

      But it's the tough times that build the character of a nation.

      Day by day....

      Delete
    2. Hi Ruth:

      Thanks. That was a very insightful comment. I was really fooled by Cash featuring Confederate heroes in his song where one would expect Union generals to be praised. But then, as a practical matter, I believe Cash needed a name that rhymed with 'flag' and that's why he chose the trio of Robert E. Lee, Beauregard, and Bragg. I bet if Bragg had been a Union general the trio would have been Ulysses S. Grant, Sherman, and Bragg. (I think that is the same number of syllables.)

      Delete
  5. We're celebrating the 4th in a big way here in the Black Hills this weekend. Tonight we'll be watching fireworks over Mount Rushmore for the first time since 2009 (now that the pine beetles are under control) and President Trump will be speaking. We've been watching the preparations all week, and even got to watch the Thunderbirds rehearse for the air show tonight.

    It's good to live in a country like ours. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You get the president and the fireworks, and I hope it's a wonderful celebration of this beautiful country..... Amen, Jan!

      Delete
  6. Thank you ladies! This was a wonderful post. I'm proud to be an American too.

    Mindy, I've not been to many concerts in my life, but Lee Greenwood happens to be one of them. He does a fabulous job with that song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I love that song, too... and Mindy's memory of it, isn't that beautiful????

      "If tomorrow all the things were gone, I'd worked for all my life..."

      When I think about that, I think of the sacrificial love that generations have shown before us... and I pray we have the same chutzpah, courage, panache, tenacity and every other cool word to stand by our nation, our people, our flag... and our freedoms.

      God bless the USA!

      Delete
    2. Linda, no matter where I am, I still get chill bumps when I hear that song. I love it!

      Delete
  7. Thanks to all of you for your inspiring tributes. May God continue to bless the United States of America! 🇺🇸

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a wonderful Independence Day weekend, everyone. I will be with some family at my brother's house for supper tomorrow night. These days, I really appreciate any opportunity to be with family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post! I'm so thankful for America, for its godly foundations, for the sacrifices that built the freedoms I enjoy. Prayers for a happy and blessed Fourth for you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalie! And the strength of those godly foundations will see us through, won't they? As long as we stand strong as one nation, under God, indivisible... with liberty and justice for all.

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."