Wednesday, July 29, 2020

The Ins & Out of Co-writing with the Dynamic Duo of Harris & Gentry

by Lynne Gentry

How did two different writers, living on two different continents, and writing two different genres, write a 4-book medical thriller series without killing each other?

We started as friends. 

Twenty years ago, Lisa Harris and I met at church. When we discovered our mutual love of writing, we formed a writing group. But then Lisa and her family moved to Africa to do mission work and she jumped into suspense writing. I went in a different direction and started writing small town southern fiction and worship sketches. Through the blessing of technology, we stayed in touch. Years later, I saw a newspaper article about how and why albinos were being murdered in Africa. My heart ached for these marginalized people. I wished I could do something. Imagine my surprise when the Lord dropped a high-level suspense story in my head. This kind of work was above my pay grade. To do this story justice, I needed an expert in suspense and Africa. I needed Lisa Harris. 

I called her and that’s how the partnership of Harris & Gentry was born. Together, we wrote the award-nominated GHOST HEART.

Our writing duo has since birthed three Agents of Mercy novels with a fourth to be released by early 2021. Lisa brings to our writing table the authenticity of Africa and an eye for suspense. I bring my connections to the medical world and theater training in character development.  

We’ve discovered that coauthoring has benefits. Half the workload. Twice the plotting/character power. Shared costs of production and marketing. Writing retreats. Facetime calls. Lots of laughter. And the joy of having another writer as invested in the story as you are.

We’ve also discovered coauthoring also has disadvantages. Splitting royalties. Plotting disagreements. And the angst of having to adjust to each other’s schedules.

While we are convinced the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages, coauthoring requires a lot of trust, which is why a good friendship is helpful. We trust each other to do our share. We trust each other to bring different strengths to the story. And, most importantly, we trust each other’s edit suggestions. 

If you’re considering writing with another author, here are a few things to consider:
  1. Do you have similar expectations for the length, tenor, and target of the project?
  2. Do you have similar work ethics?
  3. Can you accept/defer to another’s adamant belief a change needs to be made to the story? 
  4. Can you speak up and give your opinion without getting defensive? Conversely, can you listen and try to understand another’s opinion without getting defensive? 
  5. Division of labor makes the project go smoother. Who will be in charge of managing the insertion of each other’s work into the final manuscript? Who will be do the technical parts of running a writing business? Who will keep up with the costs, expenses, etc.?
  6. Which leads to an important tip: Put your partnership agreement in writing. No one expects a partnership to go south, but sometimes it is in everyone’s best interest to part company. A written agreement allows each of you to fully understand your commitment to the project, the division of labor, and how issues will be resolved. 
About Lisa and Lynne’s Agents of Mercy series:
Our medical thrillers explore real world problems such as: the illegal procurement of organs, the threat of weaponized viruses, and the medical exploitation of Africa’s children. While each book can be read as a stand-alone, the entire series is tied together by one man’s quest.
Readers can’t wait to get their hands on the third book in the series: LETHAL OUTBREAK. This terrifying tale of a virus unearthed in the Tibetan permafrost releases October 13, 2020 and is available for a limited time in a boxset with seven other Christian suspense authors. For only $0.99 you can own all 8 of these new, full-length romantic suspense novels. Hurry and pre-order your copy of LETHAL OUTBREAK today and receive the entire DANGEROUS DECEPTIONS collection for only $0.99. https://dangerous-deceptions.com/
Virus hunter Aiden Ballinger believes the source of the lethal outbreak that decimated a remote Tibetan village came from disturbing the permafrost. Desperate to rebury the virus before it buries the world, Aiden enlists Rachel Scott, a beautiful epidemiologist. But while Aiden and Rachel pursue the cure—and their feelings for each other—someone is hunting them. Whoever wants them dead will not stop until they are silenced.

Lynne Gentry has always been a storyteller.

Trained in theater arts at Oklahoma Christian University, Lynne’s written and produced three full-length musicals and a children’s theater curriculum. This former Director of the Dallas International Performing Arts Academy also teaches private acting lessons. Her students have successfully auditioned for Broadway, Disney, Nickelodeon, American Idol, various television series, local and national commercials, talent agencies, and major college theater programs. 

A professional writer for nearly twenty years, Lynne has written daily inspirational content for a large Christian Radio Broadcasting company based in Nashville, articles for Christian Woman magazine, and stories and novels for Guideposts, Tyndale, Worthy, HCI Books, and Howard Books/Simon & Schuster. She also co-authored devotionals for the 7 Minute Marriage Solution Devotional Bible (Worthy 2013). She indie-published multiple novels. Her books have been finalists in the American Christian Fiction Writer’s Genesis contest, the prestigious Westbow’s Fiction contest, and the Carol Awards.

Believing we can work together to change our world, Lynne joined with Lisa Harris to found The ECHO Project, a humanitarian organization dedicated to becoming the voice for the poorest of the poor in one of the darkest corners of the world…Africa.

Lynne loves laughing with her family or taking her medical therapy dog to the Baylor oncology wards to make people smile.

50 comments:

  1. Lynne, welcome! We're so glad you're with us today. I love the idea of writing with a partner. Years ago I remember thinking it would be fun to write with someone else and to have us each writing one POV. Sort of like letting the characters play out the action on stage. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having me, Missy. That's exactly how Lisa and I write together. We divide up the POVs. Really brings an added layer to the characters...and it's fun.

      Delete
    2. Missy, I can see where that would be fun because then you'd truly never know what the other character might say or do!

      Delete
    3. Oh, how fun that you do that! And yes, Mindy, it would be like living the action, not knowing what's coming next. :)

      Delete
  2. What a great skill we can teach our children--and learn ourselves--is how to work with other people! Not just in writing, but in all areas of life. Being able to bring your best to the group, accept direction, and speak up are all valuable skills. All the screenplays I have worked on have been co-written. My writing partner and I have been friends for many years and spend as much time chatting about our lives and families as we do writing, so I agree that friendship is a great asset in a partnership. I gave a session at a high school writer's workshop a few years ago and talked about why collaboration with another artist is a win for everyone, so I absolutely agree with everything you said here, Lynne. Thanks for being here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glynis, thanks for having me. Yes, learning to work with others is a skill all of us need to acquire. :) I love how working closely with another writer really sharpens my writing chops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning, Lynne. Thank you for sharing your experience. One of my favorite recent Hallmark movies had a heroine who, over the course of the movie, learned that as a writer, she needed to write words that matter. I was reminded of that when reading your post and about The ECHO Project. Thank you to you and Lisa for choosing to use your words for such a noble purpose.

    And thanks for being our guest today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, I know just which movie you're talking about. Now I need to watch it again. ;)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Cate. Your words mean so much to us.

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for letting Lynne share here today. Writing with Lynne has been such a blessing in the middle of an often solitary career path. And while I never thought co-authoring a book was something I wanted to do (I might be just a little stubborn :-)) The joys and friendship have been a huge gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I'm waving from Texas. So good to "see" you. I remember when you and Lynne first began this endeavor. Y'all's partnership has been a blessing to so many.

      Delete
    2. Lisa, I'm so glad you stopped by today as well! Thank you both for sharing how you work together!

      Delete
  6. Welcome to Seekerville, Lynne and Lisa!

    I'm impressed by how well you seem to work together! I would imagine that splitting the tasks so that each of you are working to your strengths really helps!

    And your series sounds intriguing...I'll have to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jan. Do please read it. Plus, I'd like to recommend the other books that we've been blessed to be paired with in the Dangerous Deception boxset. You'll be blessed by that good deal as well. Yes, splitting the tasks is so nice.

      Delete
  7. Hi Lynn:

    I've only encountered a few fiction co-authors in my reading. Sometimes you don't know since they combine their names into one name and don't let on that there are two of them. I remember, Emma Lathem, two high powered Wall Street women, in the late '90's, who didn't want their clients to know they were writing these books.

    Then there were two science fiction writers with strong careers on their own who would come together on a book now and then. One would write the first draft and be done with it. The other would edit the book and that was it. One loved to edit the other hated it. Perfect match on special projects they just wanted to knockout between their regular books.

    Some husband and wife teams have the man write the male characters and the woman write the female characters. I think the experience has been that this arrangement is not good for a marriage.

    I believe there are some female mystery writers who sometimes write one chapter each, totally pantsered, making the next author in line have to come up with the next chapter. Of course, they love boxing the next author in a difficult situation. This whole process can happen at one writing convention. These books even get published! I bet Debby knows some of these authors.

    My question is: how much do you plot and how much do you pantser?

    BTW: I hope your box of books for 99 cents is a big success for the authors. I ordered my copy as soon as I read the offer. Thanks.

    Vince

    P.S. "Naked Came the Stranger" in 1969 had over 20 authors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vince, thanks so much for ordering DANGEROUS DECEPTIONS. Lisa is an extensive plotter. I am a pantser. At first we drove each other over the edge. But I've learned the advantage of planning ahead and she's learned the fun of being flexible and letting the story go in a different direction if necessary.

      Delete
  8. Lynne is right, and the fun thing is that we really compliment each other. We do plot sections of the story, to help ensure we're not repetitive, and plotting helps us write faster, but there is that flexibility as she mentioned as well, that I think helps keep the stories fresh and surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll try this again. My comment disappeared before I could publish. The idea of having a writing partnership intrigues me. How long after you started your partnership did you both realize it was going to work beautifully? Or was the realization immediate? I just ordered Dangerous Deceptions and look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great questions, Pat. I can't wait to hear what they have to say.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for ordering Dangerous Deceptions, Pat. We love getting our stories into the hands of readers. Since we knew each other, we already knew we liked each other and since we'd been a crit group together, we already respected what each of us had to offer. But I'd say we knew pretty early on that we'd hit upon something wonderful.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for ordering Dangerous Deceptions, Pat! Originally, we only planned to write Ghost Heart together, but while we didn't always agree on everything, we soon found a rhythm and we trusted each other's strengths, which was huge. Trust is definitely crucial. And once we really identified each other's strengths, moving ahead was easy. I think having that contact with another author--someone sharing the journey with you--was also a huge plus for both of us. And now, we're getting ready to start book four in the series that will bring all the characters together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great advice about working with a partner. I’m so thrilled to be in the Dangerous Deceptions set with you and Lisa! Always lovely to be included by some of my own favorite authors! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne and I have been working with the other others in this box set, including Lynnette, which has been another huge blessing for us. We've learned a lot about the indie world of marketing, and working together in that, but the greatest blessing has been new friendships.

      Delete
    2. I bet y'all had a ball on this project.

      Delete
    3. We have been so blessed to work with you, Lynette and all the amazing authors in the Dangerous Deceptions boxset. It's been wonderful forming these new friendships.

      Delete
  12. Lisa Harris and Lynne Gentry are an amazing writing duo! I met Lynne at the 2018 American Christian Fiction Writers Conference when my book, Four Months in Cuba, and their book, Ghost Heart, were finalists in the Mystery/Suspense/Thriller category for a Carol Award. I met Lisa Harris a little later, and their loving personalities were the main reason we became such good friends.

    Now, I feel so privileged to be in the same boxed set with them. Both Lynne and Lisa encouraged me to explore the more romantic side of Ben Mitchell, who is Titus Ray's partner in my Titus Ray Thriller Series, and the result is Ben in Love, my novel in the Dangerous Deceptions Boxed set.

    I can't wait to read Lethal Outbreak and all the other outstanding novels in this boxed set. Where else can you get 8 full-length, brand-new novels from such impressive Christian authors for just 99c? I'm anticipating an October full of fun reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luana, that is an amazing price. One that's too good to turn down.

      Delete
    2. Luana has been a blessing from this journey as someone I've been able to meet in person several times. She knows so much about indie publishing and has also taught me so much, but is also just a joy to be with!

      Delete
    3. Luana is such a brilliant woman and writer. We've learned so much from her. You won't want to miss out on any of her stories.

      Delete
  13. I've often wondered how authors co-write a story and now you've given us a nice glimpse into the process! Thanks for sharing today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee-Ann, I think a lot of us were curious.

      Delete
    2. Behind the scenes is always fun for me as well!

      Delete
    3. Behind the scenes is always fun for me as well!

      Delete
    4. It's a little peek behind the curtain that we all enjoy, Lee-Ann.

      Delete
  14. In this age of “it’s all about me” it is so refreshing to discover two renowned authors who are willing to push everything aside and mesh their God-given talents together. Y’all have written some amazing books that are shining light in the darkness. Thank You both for being willing vessels to use your Gift-sets for His glory! Your writing has certainly impacted my life! lg(dot)hudson(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kinds words, Lisa. I know for me, the joy of the friendship, but also the impact of the stories (I always learn so much through the journey) has challenged and changed me for the better!

      Delete
  15. Oh, wow, Lisa Hudson. Thanks so much for your kind and encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am late to this party but I love this! What a great partnership, ladies, and I love the content idea. Congratulations on this and praying for your success.... but also, .99???

    FOR REAL???????

    Go you!!!!!!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RUTH: Did you notice that those are full length novels and not novellas? How sweet is that?

      Delete
    2. Yes! They are full length novels!! You'll love them!

      Delete
  17. Thanks, Ruth. Your cheers keep us going.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lynne:

    Do you, as a team, ever experience writer's block? In fact, to get writer's block would you both have to get it at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  19. What's great with co-authoring is that we can brain storm together if we get stuck, so there are always lots of ideas flowing between the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lisa doesn't let us sit around blocked very long. :) We really have found that there's hardly anything you can't write yourself out of.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lynne and Lisa, thanks for being with us in Seekerville! Sorry I'm late, but so glad I could catch up today. Congrats on making your partnership work so beautifully. I'm intrigued about which POV you take. Do you flip flop from book to book, so you're writing the hero's POV in book 1 and the heroine's POV in book 2? Or do you always write the hero's POV--or the heroine's? Also do you finish far ahead of your deadline with plenty of time to revise...or are you pushing for the finish line as the deadline looms? And do you both edit the manuscript?

    Your anthology sounds fantastic. A must-have, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whew - I'll try to answer you Debby. I usually take the medical POV. Lisa always takes the African POVs. We split up the others. And yes, that changes from book to book. Sometimes I write the hero and sometimes she does. No, we never finish far from deadline. We're both busy with our own projects, so these books have to be worked in around those schedules. I'm always editing but when it comes to the final edits, usually one of us will apply the editor's suggestions and then we both will look at it again before sending to our beta team.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."