Wednesday, July 22, 2020

The Power of Story



Several years ago I received an email from an organization called The Greater Good.

The email contained an article, by Paul J. Zak, called How Stories Change the Brain. 

The article reminded me of a post I had done as a guest here at Seekerville about Wired for Story . This kind of stuff fascinates me, so I read the article and watched the accompanying video. They've stuck with me for years.


 Although Wired by Lisa Kron and the Greater Good article by Paul Zak, approach the topic differently, their conclusions are ultimately the same. 

Story is vital to our survival. The brain loves story, and stories change our brains.









Have you ever heard the story about Abraham Lincoln meeting Harriet Beecher Stowe, author of Uncle Tom's Cabin, and saying, "So this is the little lady who started this big war." 

The anecdote may or may not be true, but that book certainly had a powerful influence.



Unfortunately, words don't always cause change for good. A childhood friend of  Adolf Hitler claimed  that he drew inspiration for his Aryan nation from Wagner's early opera Rienzi, which in turn was based on a book by Edward Bulwer-Lytton (of It was a dark and stormy night fame)?



Who remembers this scene from Romancing the Stone?


Kathleen Turner evoked the exhilaration writers feel when the writing is working. But I think readers also identify with the scene because they completely understand the sheer power of story to carry you out of your daily life. That's what we're talking about today. Story and the power it wields.






What do we need to know as writers?

Here's a video from Zak's article that shows you how story impacts your brain - literally shows you. It's only 5 minutes long so I encourage you to watch it. Then come back and we'll talk. Go ahead. I'll wait. It's fascinating stuff. (Warning, it's a bit sad - but that's the point!)






The part of the video I found most intriguing was at the 3:35 mark (through 4:31). If you weren't able to watch, through brain imaging, Zak's team was able to show brain activity in response to different types of stories. In response to the story of a father whose son is dying, brains lit up with empathy and understanding of what others are feeling. In response to a story of a father having a fun day at the zoo with his son, nothing lit up. Nothing.

That's powerful imagery!

Imagine readers reading your stories. Do their brains light up in response to what you have written, thus keeping them invested in the story, or is there no response? If nothing is happening in your story, the reader's brain won't tune in. That's hard, cold science.  It's also a boring book.



Zak connects this brain imaging to the Dramatic Arc of story.

"This evidence supports the view of some narrative theorists that there is a universal story structure. These scholars claim every engaging story has this structure, called the dramatic arc. It starts with something new and surprising, and increases tension with difficulties that the characters must overcome, often because of some failure or crisis in their past, and then leads to a climax where the characters must look deep inside themselves to overcome the looming crisis, and once this transformation occurs, the story resolves itself. "


There's more, but I don't want to give away the whole story. If you'd like to read the full article, you can find it here.

This is important information for any writer. We need to know how to construct our stories - and that is a post for another day. 


I could have just ended this post with the advice to write a really interesting story with lots going on.

But as I was reading the article and thinking about this post, a song kept playing in my head.







It reminded me that for  those of us who write inspirational fiction, we have an awesome responsibility because, through our characters and their struggles, we are  sharing that  story of Jesus and his love. 



Deeper into the Greater Good article, Zak goes on to say, "We also tested why stories can motivate us, like the characters in them, to look inside ourselves and make changes to become better people."



The message for authors seems clear - craft a compelling story and you can change people for the better.

How cool is that?




I can't help thinking about one of my favorite Hallmark movies from this past spring  - The Nature of Love. No spoilers, but at the end, the heroine has a revelation about the kind of writer she wants to be - she wants her words to matter. She wants to use the power of her words for change.



Let's talk - as readers and writers. 


I remember when I first decided to write for Love Inspired. I chose it because when I read those books, I wanted to be a better person. 



Readers, do you find books having that effect on you? 

Writers, are you conscious of this power when you are crafting your stories? How do you feel about the responsibility you're assuming?


30 comments:

  1. Cate, a powerful post. I think that's why, no I know that's why most of us are inspy/Christian writers. I'm always impressed by authors who already have flourishing careers in secular fiction, but who cross over because they want to have a greater and more spiritual impact. This is or should be why we write.
    And it has to be organic. One can't just tack a conversion on the story of someone we don't care about in the first place.
    Cate, this is SO deep and something I'll be thinking about as I go about my daily whatever.
    And I always love it when Alan Jackson sings hymns.
    Close to home today, will be checking in again.
    Kathy Bailey
    Your Kaybee
    Telling stories in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Kathy. I'm staying close to home today too. Very hot out there.

      I agree about Alan Jackson singing hymns. I ignore most commercials, but I always stop and pay attention when the ones for his Precious Memories album comes on.

      Glad I gave you something to think about. I hope you'll come back and share your thoughts.

      Delete
    2. Kathy, I love to hear Alan Jackson do the old hymns, too. I've come so close to buying them off of that ad on television. ;)

      Delete
    3. I almost bought it this morning after reading Kathy's comment. Maybe we should, Mindy.

      Delete
    4. My son bought a CD of Alan Jackson's hymns. We listen to it in the car when we are on vacation on a Sunday.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Kathy--very powerful stuff. On the hard days especially, we often need the reminder that we don't write for ourselves necessarily. God always gives to us so that we can share with others. Thank you for this, Cate. I needed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely needed this reminder yesterday, Glynis. I had a very fast turnover on some edits for my January book and I was not at all happy with the story. I made myself stop and pray that the words would tell whatever the Lord wanted from this story. Taking that time to pray totally changed my mindset about approaching the edits.

      Delete
  3. Wow. How interesting. There is nothing like a powerful story that you can engage in and fell like it makes you a better person to grow and change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy,

      That's so true. I still remember getting my first Love Inspired to judge in a contest. It was from LIH and I was blown away.

      Delete
  4. Cate, it's serendipitous that I am reading this today. Just this morning, I finished Stephen King's On Writing, and this reminds me so much of his sections on symbolism and theme. He discusses their importance, but he also calls them "adornments." He says they should come later, after the story. I went hunting for two quotes and found that I had highlighted both. The first is, "Good fiction almost always begins with story and progresses to theme." And the second, "Two examples of the sort of work second drafts were made for are symbolism and theme."

    In other words, the story is primary. Making something happen is fundamental. Theme, symbolism, lessons and morals, those are powerful, but inside your story is where you're going to find those elements. Story is the medium that connects us to complete strangers so they can hear our truths.

    I'm reminded of one more quote I must share from On Writing: "Not long after I began The Green Mile and realized my main character was an innocent man likely to be executed for the crime of another, I decided to give him the initials J.C., after the most famous innocent man of all time." 

    So much in literature has been influenced by that famous innocent man, even in the horror genre. Hopefully we recognize it. Hopefully we imitate it.

    Thank you for this post!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel, thank you so much for reminding me about On Writing. I read that so long ago, but your quotes make me think it's time for a reread. I know different authors feel differently about craft books, but I love them. I always find my mind and writing invigorated when I'm reading a book by someone who can make me think of my craft in a different way.

    And thank you for the last quote about J.C. Wow! I didn't remember that one, but it's so powerful.

    Story is primary. When I first started writing, the craft book everyone was always talking about was Robert McKee's STORY. I always wished I could go take one of his three day workshops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh drat! After writing that, I decided to Google to see if he was still doing those workshops. Apparently, like everything else in 2020, they went virtual. Unfortunately, the spring session is over. :( I'll have to keep checking and see if they do it again.

      Delete
    2. I've never heard of Robert McKee. I'll have to check out his work. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Mary Cate, as I was reading your post I had but one thought. God wired our brains and just think of how many stories are in the Bible. God speaks to us through stories. He is the AUTHOR and perfecter of our faith.

    Whenever I sit down to write, I know I have a responsibility to share the story God gives me, not the story I want to tell. I've learned that if I veer from what He wants me to write, I usually have to redo that section. So I try my best to do things His way the first time around so I don't have to revise later. My book Falling for the Hometown hero was where I learned that lesson in a HUGE way. God kept telling me to do this one thing and I kept avoiding it because I knew it was going to be absolutely draining for me to write it. But when I was asked to revise the third time I said, "Okay God, I'll do it your way." My editor loved it. So writers, when you feel that nudge to go someplace you don't want to go, pray and make sure it's of God and if it is, do things His way. Your story will be better for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a powerful example, Mindy. That's so similar to how I felt yesterday. I was so dissatisfied with the story after some of the changes I had to make. Then I prayed over it, and things fell into place. (With a little help from my Texan friend, as you know!)

      Delete
  7. Cate, I always enjoy your blog posts on story. It's a fascinating topic, isn't it?

    Trivia that I have heard but haven't verified: Adolf Hitler read Margaret Senger's work, the founder of Planned Parenthood, and used some of her ideas in his plan to destroy the Jews.

    I just finished another one of Kristin Hannah's books, NIGHT ROAD. Her stories grab me by the throat. I always cry, and the characters stay with me for far too long. THE NIGHTINGALE still haunts me. THE GREAT ALONE does as well. NIGHT ROAD is about three teen friends, and I can't get them off my mind. I went to Target and came home with her TRUE COLORS. I'm trying to analyze how she crafts such engaging characters. I'll cry, for sure, but I love her writing!

    Another bit of trivia: Alan Jackson is from Newnan, Ga, a town about 12 miles from where I live.

    I'm working on a new proposal and God reveals the story piecemeal. This morning he tied two elements together so I finally have a hint about the direction of the story. I wish this part of the process would go more quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read Home Front, Debby? It's such a powerful story of the family left at home during war, but with a twist. The mothers are the ones deployed.

      Cool about Alan Jackson. I put his playlist on while I wrote today.

      I hear you on the proposal problems. I'm working on one too. I had to fast draft the novel to figure out the gist of the plot.

      Delete
  8. Interesting post, Cate. I am working on revising and making the story more interesting than my first draft seems to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with that, Sandy. I alternate between thinking my stories are fascinating - or the most boring thing ever. It helps to write suspense though. You can always blow something up or have someone get shot at.

      Delete
  9. This is such a powerful post, Cate.
    I know it always amazes me and pleases me when a reader tells me my story made them cry--not because I want to be depressing but because it means they got it. They connected with my characters. It's an awesome feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made them cry is a huge compliment! You made them feel all the emotions. :)

      Delete
  10. I think this is why I love the concept of story! Words are powerful, and it's humbling to think that God can use us to write stories that can affect people for good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is humbling, Jan. And each time I start a new story, I feel it all over again.

      Delete
  11. Hi Cate:

    Your post today is absolutely fascinating!

    If a story can change the brain, then the brain can change the story!

    Just consider the outraged, one-star, reviews of Love Inspired romances made by readers who didn't realize these were Christian Fiction and didn't find this out until half-way through the book. They feel tricked and betrayed that someone was trying to use fiction to lay that 'God stuff' on them! How dare they?

    Actually, I think this idea runs far deeper than just the 'arc-journey' which is the backbone of Epic Literature.

    The key is curiosity. "Why did something happen", "What would happens if", and "What happens next"…these questions have great survival value in a species. Many great scientific discoveries were attempts to answer the above questions.

    All peoples have folktales which try to explain everything from the phases of the moon to why some animals have rings on their tales. Socrates and Christ taught in stories because stories are the brain's native language.

    "What if we could make and control fire instead of waiting for fires caused by lightening strikes?" Thus the quest, the discovery, (which cost the Greek god Prometheus dearly), and conquest of fire turned the cave dweller into the human -- the most dangerous animal in the forest.

    This great power resides in making the reader eager to lean what happens next. Curiosity! As the author makes knowing what happens next more important to the reader the lure of finishing the book becomes almost irresistible.

    In essence: make the reader eager to know what happens next and make what happens next increasingly more important and you'll become a modern day siren with an irrespirable voice.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "In essence: make the reader eager to know what happens next and make what happens next increasingly more important and you'll become a modern day siren with an irrespirable voice."

      You make it sound so easy, Vince. Hah!

      But yes, all those Origin stories. Back when I taught 4th grade I loved to spend time with the students reading those kinds of stories from all different cultures. Then they would choose something from nature to explain and they'd write their own stories. They did an awesome job.

      Delete
  12. Thanks Care for this post. I find the brain's response to art fascinating. When I was studying childhood music education I couldn't believe the difference in brain development between children who started lesson young and those who had no music background. Storytelling appears to affect people in a similar manner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so intriguing, Lee-Ann. I'm always intrigued by how music affects me when I'm writing. I love the connection you made.

      Delete
  13. Cate, I somehow missed this post yesterday!! I also missed online choir "practice" on Zoom. I just totally flaked and didn't remember it was Wednesday. :)

    Great post! I love the study of how story affects our brains. I can't wait to watch the videos you shared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Missy. I almost missed posting it because I didn't realize it was the end of July!!!!!

      Delete
  14. Cate, I feel just like you do about this. I wanted to write stories that make people feel good... and that give them hope. Especially women who've been downtrodden or on the skids or abused.... or who've done stupid things because we all deserve a second chance, don't we? So I love working with Love Inspired and houses that embrace that kind of story... and fun stories like my mysteries! Both make me smile and sigh....

    Great post, Cate!

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."