Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Creating a Playlist for Your Novel

 

This time of year, most people's playlists probably are All Christmas All the Time.


But let's take a break from Christmas for a few minutes and talk about music that inspires us to write.

I'm sure we'll hear from some of you that you need silence to write. Or maybe you prefer instrumental background music or one of those videos of Music for Creating.

I have writer friends who love to listen to movie soundtracks while they write. 

This was a really popular one:


I've used the soundtracks from both The Patriot and



I'd love to hear about your preferences.

I prefer a curated playlist that connects me to my characters and story.


Sometimes, there's a specific song that resonates with the story. For example, when I first started writing Christmas in Hiding, I needed a song for my Callie to sing whenever she needed to remember trust in God and praise him even when things weren't going as she'd planned. When I found this video, I knew it was perfect.

 


In fact, because it serves as such a wonderful reminder to me, it's the first song that now goes into every playlist, and it's the first one I play to begin each writing session.


Christmas in Hiding had a few other songs as well, particularly this one from the TV show Nashville (which had some great music!). The lyrics kept me going when I would have given up during the writing process.



In January Texas Witness Threat releases. I had a fabulous playlist for that. What I love about it is that all I have to do is put the playlist on and immediately I'm in the story.

Of course I started with "How Great Thou Art." 

Some of the other songs in this playlist were:

Rachel Platten's "Fight Song"


"Timing is Everything" from Trace Adkins - This one matched up so perfectly with the opening scene of my book.



There's a part that goes like this - 

I remember that day

When our eyes first met

You ran into the building to get out of the rain

Cause you were soaking wet.

Of course in my book, Christine then witnesses a murder before she runs into Blake, but these lines also resonated:

And I could've been another minute late
And you'd never would've crossed my path that day

In her case, that made the difference between life and death!


I had a novella out in a wonderful anthology called Faithful Women. I found an absolutely perfect song that I also just added to my newest playlist because I love it so much.



I recently had to switch the order of the books I'm working on because of some changes in release schedules. I had an absolutely perfect playlist for the book I was working on - one that revolved around this song.


and this one




But I'm working on a different book now, so I need a whole new playlist. So far I've got only three songs - 

"How Great Thou Art"

"Broken Vessels"

and this


That's enough to get me started, but I'll add other songs as I come across them. It's not something that can be forced. If the song isn't right, it doesn't work as motivation.

So let's talk. If you're a writer, do you do playlists? Do you need silence instead or maybe some other type of music? 

If you're a reader, would you be curious to know the playlist an author created to go along with the book? 




17 comments:

  1. I don't really have anything to say because I don't do playlists -- yet. Great idea if I can find music that goes with my writing era. I use music in a different way, listening to pieces that are well-crafted or provide an emotional punch fuels my creativity. Creativity feeds off itself and I can get a jump start -- or a transfusion -- from music, art, the written or spoken word. Something like that.
    I didn't really have a lot to say on this topic, but it's the last time I'll talk with my Seeker Peeps until after Christmas. So I hope you all have a blessed one. May be back later, if my holiday prep isn't done by now it probably won't get done.
    Kathy Bailey
    Your Kaybee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I think you had a lot to contribute. T
      "I use music in a different way, listening to pieces that are well-crafted or provide an emotional punch fuels my creativity. Creativity feeds off itself and I can get a jump start -- or a transfusion -- from music, art, the written or spoken word."

      I don't think it's the way we use it that's different as much as the choice of music. Creating my playlists helps me really think about who my characters are and what the theme of the book is, but the music itself has much the effect you described.

      Thank you for the Christmas blessings. I wish them to you and your family in return.

      Delete
    2. Love you guys. Wouldn't be where I am as a writer without you.

      Delete
    3. Merry Christmas to you, Kathy. I hope Dave is doing better now.

      Delete
  2. As a reader I enjoy listening to a playlist that goes with the book. Merry Christmas 🎁🎄 blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for responding to that, Lucy. I always wonder if it's worth sharing.

      Merry Christmas to you as well.

      Delete
  3. As a writer, I have a playlist of piano music and other instrumental music that I like to play. It keeps me focused. Music with lyrics make me want to sing along and then no writing happens. As a reader, I don't mind music in the background as long as it's not too loud. I tend to drown out whatever is around me when I read anyways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard people say that often about the lyrics, Kimberly, and I get it. For me it doesn't cause that problem. Maybe because I've played them so often, I just kind of tune them out except for the feeling they give.

      But you reminded me of something important that I forgot to include in the post. The best way they help me is by keeping me writing. Because I'm using music I enjoy, it's sort of a reward for keeping on. Healthier than candy, I suppose. ;)

      Delete
  4. I don't really have a playlist for writing. However, in the book I have written and still revising, there is a tornado that destroys much of a town. When I was writing it, I remember a video I saw after the Joplin tornado that showed people walking in a daze through the storm damaged streets with the song Praise You in This Storm playing in the video. I thought that was powerful and is one song that connects me to my story.

    Merry Christmas, Cate, and Merry Christmas to all in Seekerville.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that song, Sandy. I agree - what a powerful image. Good luck with the revisions. Merry Christmas to you!

      Delete
  5. I love your playlists, Cate! Thanks for sharing them!

    I often have a song that resonates with the story I'm writing. With "Softly Blows the Bugle," it was Going Home from the movie Gods and Generals (not the old song based on the tune by Dvorak.) With the historical romance I'm working on now, it's a new Willy Nelson song, The First Rose of Spring.

    But I can't play those songs while I'm writing. I play the song while I'm opening my writing file to get me into the mood of the story. While I'm actually writing, I listen to Mozart to get into the "zone."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting point, Jan. I have to say, when I was writing historicals, I tended to rely on sweeping soundtracks. I don't imagine my contemporary playlists would work as wellfor that.

      Delete
  6. I listen to music when I write. But it has to be instrumental music only! I find myself typing the lyrics if I listen to music with words! :)

    I listen to an instrumental music channel on Pandora. Movie soundtracks mostly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if there's anyone else like me who manages to tune out the lyrics.

      Delete
  7. Hi Cate:

    I like to listen to the 'Smooth Jazz for Reading' channel when I'm writing or reading. It is a channel on Stingray and it is free. Now, if I were writing a Christmas story, I would probably listen to Christmas songs but even then I'd prefer something like Mannheim Steamroller. In short, something beautiful and soothing.

    However, right now, as I write this, I am listening to "Christmas music by Crooners" on Stingray. (They have 46 different Christmas music channels!!! -- BTW: I think Tina or Ruth had a rule that on Seekerville, when it first started, that you could only use up to three exclamation points. I think this case justifies it.)

    I listened to all the songs you posted and I like the "Fight Song" best. My wife, on the other hand, likes Barenaked Ladies, "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen," with Sarah McLachlan. I'd never heard of, 'Barenaken Ladies', an all male group, so I did not believe it was a real group, but it is and it is fantastic!

    So there it is:

    Merry Christmas
    ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need silence when I write. As a classically trained musician, my ear tunes out everything but the music - including my thoughts! Lol I can write with background noise (like kids playing), but definitely not music.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."