Friday, January 15, 2021

Let's Talk Stakes



Hello everyone, Winnie Griggs here.  Recently I've had discussions with two different writer friends (both relatively new in their careers) on the subject of story stakes - what they are and how to weave them in effectively. So I thought it might be worth it to re-run a post I did here at Seekerville on that very subject way back in 2015.

So here we go.

Stakes are what drive your story forward, what makes your reader really care about the ultimate outcome. Simply defined, the stakes are the consequences your character will face if he fails to achieve his goal. If there is nothing particularly life-changing about those consequences, then your reader won’t have a reason to care.

 



 

That being said, stakes don’t have to be large in the general scheme of things, they just have to be large to your protagonist. Because if the consequences for failure doesn’t destroy your protagonist’s world in some way—be it physical, emotional or spiritual—then the reader will begin to think so what, which can be the kiss of death for your story. Having the kind of stakes that your reader can relate to, that allows the reader to internalize the consequences of failure, is what ratchets up the story tension, and story tension is what propels your reader forward through the book. In other words, give your reader something in your protagonist’s world to root for, and then put it at risk.

 

The stakes are what fuel the tension and conflict in your story. And as you know, the higher the tension, the more of a page-turner your story will be.

 

 

 

So here are a few tips for keeping your stakes front and center:

 

  • First and foremost, make certain your readers know what the stakes are.
    And the sooner the better. The longer you take to introduce the stakes, the greater the risk you run of losing or boring the reader.

  • Never completely remove the stakes.
    If you remove the stakes, you remove the sense of urgency from your story, in fact you rob it of all story tension. If you’re going to remove or resolve a particular story goal or a consequence of failure, make certain you’ve introduced something even bigger to take it’s place.




  • Which brings me to - Keep raising the stakes.
    Your stakes should escalate in stages throughout your story. In other words, the consequences for your protagonist if he should fail to achieve his goal should become more significant as the story progresses, and at the same time, his chances of success should narrow.
    Turn it into a real nail-biter as you close in on the climax of your story. An added benefit from increasing the stakes is that it forces your character to make riskier and riskier choices. You should always be thinking how can I make this bad situation worse for my protagonist.

  • Reinforce the stakes occasionally.
    Despite what I said above, you won’t be able to raise the stakes in each and every scene.  So when you’re not working on raising the stakes, you may want to reinforce them.  Subtly remind the reader what the stakes are, or show some other aspect of the consequences that may not have come to light initially.

  • Make your stakes engaging.
    Your stakes need to really matter to the character in a way that engages the reader. But keep in mind, the stakes don’t need to be earth-shattering to do this. Internal stakes can be just as compelling if properly motivated—for instance, failing to get the job your character has set his sights on can be devastating to him, and vicariously to the reader, if he’s sacrificed for years to work his way up the ladder and has tied his entire sense of self-worth, or the future well-being of his family, to achieving that goal.

  • Test your stakes by asking so what
    What would happen if the protagonist just walked away from his goal? Would there indeed be strong consequences and repercussions to that character? If not, then you don’t really have high stakes. This is true even if there are dire consequences to ‘nameless others’ in the story. Because stakes are all about personal loss and the reader connection. What the reader cares about, what they are investing their time and emotions into, is your protagonist.

So what are some ways to raise the stakes in your story?
  • Be Clear On The Consequences
    Make certain your reader understands the stakes.  Even if you’re not ready to reveal all the repercussions, there should be a clear impression that the stakes matter.




  • The Stakes Should Be Personal
    Having consequences that involve nameless masses is nowhere near as effective as having stakes that impact your protagonist personally.  If you’ve done your job right, the protagonist is who your reader will identify with, who they will sympathize, with and you must give them a reason to worry about and root for them.

  • Use Subplots To Fold In Additional Stakes
    Subplots are a good way to introduce conflicts with smaller stakes that will keep things moving in Act Two of your story.  And if you want to show your protagonist failing early on, this is a place to do it.   But these additional stakes are most effective when they feed into and impact the major story stake in some way.

  • Escalate
    Start with small but intriguing consequences, then allow them to snowball into something that grows bigger as the story progresses.  If you pile it all into your opening scenes that leaves you nowhere to go.

  • Use The Domino Effect
    It’s the old cause and effect method.  You want a logical escalation.  Show how decisions – good or bad – that are made at each step of the way cause problems and escalation of consequences down the road.

  • Most Importantly, Show What Your Protagonist Must Sacrifice
    Part of what’s at stake is that your protagonist will change in some way to reach their goal.  And this will likely require a sacrifice on their part.  Make certain, before the climax of your story, you have given us a view of how deep this sacrifice will be.  You want to give your resolution as much power as you can to make the story satisfying to your reader.


 


So what do you think?  Are stakes something you struggle with in your own writing?  Did these pointers help?  Can you think of things to add?

Leave a comment to get your name in the drawing for a copy of your choice of any book in my backlist

 

 


24 comments:

  1. Winnie, I love this, thanks. I'm in the plotting stages for two different books, a serious historical fiction effort and a less-complicated contemporary romance. The historical has huge issues (like the American Revolution), and the contemporary has more personal conflict between the h and H and their shared and individual pasts. Both need higher stakes, so this came (or returned) at the right time.
    Stakes matter, and mattering matters. I don't enjoy reading or viewing a plot where the issue could have been solved by two people simply talking it out, but they don't. My daughters and I call this the "hilarious misunderstanding." I don't see it much any more in books, I think the quality of authors I read has gone up, but I still see it in television. In shows I only watch once. "The heroine thinks her boyfriend is cheating on her, but he's only having lunch with her best friend to plan her surprise birthday party." Gaaack.
    Think I'll keep this one, although I probably have it somewhere.
    On my way out, going on a road trip with my daughter to research our next nonfiction history book. See you all Monday.
    Kaybee
    Making things matter in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaybee, so glad this came at just the right time for you - don't you just love serendipity! :)

      Delete
  2. I have problems with conflict in genereal, so this is a great breakdown of how to plot things out in the best possible way. And I definitely think you're right that the stakes don't always have to be earth-shattering, but they have to be earth-shattering for the character. My family and I have had an ongoing affectionate discussion for years about one of the Avengers movies--they all loved it but I thought all the stakes were too high for too many people and it was overwhelming. I need one person's sacrifice to really dig into and feel. Again, great post. Thanks, Winnie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glynis, thanks for stopping by. Glad you found the post helpful. And my family and I have quite a few of those discussions about movies as well :)

      Delete
  3. This is great, Winnie. Thank you for sharing it again!

    The stories that keep me turning the pages (no matter how late it is at night!) are the ones where the stakes don't only escalate, but become increasingly personal. The real winners are when the authors can weave the escalation of both physical stakes and emotional stakes together throughout the story with a steady increase of both as the story progresses.

    In my WIP, the stakes early in the book are simple: can Emma succeed in her new job? But by the end of the book, it's a life or death situation for her, her family, and the business she works for. I just hope I can do it justice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, you're absolutely right on what it takes to make a page turner. And I know you can absolutely do it justice!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you shared this again, Winnie. I always seem to struggle with what's at stake. For some characters it's easy, for others, it's like pulling teeth. I'm printing this out for reference. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mindy. And LOL, I'm currently struggling with one of those 'pulling teeth' characters. :)

      Delete
  5. Great post, Winnie. I am going to print this and save it. I think it can be very useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy - glad you thought it had some value for your own work.

      Delete
  6. I struggle with creating high stakes for my characters in the gentle Christian romance stories I've written. I probably can't be reminded too many times to raise the stakes. In fact, I'm thinking about rewriting a chapter to make things a little more interesting. Thanks for the post, Winnie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sarah, I think this is something many writer struggle with. Glad the post could spark some ideas for you! Good luck with the tweaks!

      Delete
  7. I struggle with the external conflict being strong enough. And like other comments above, sometimes the stakes are easy to raise for one character but not others. Thanks for the pointers. It's a post to bookmark. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lee-Ann. I think that's something a lot of writers struggle with. And I'm so glad you feel my post helped you ot.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the pointers, I know that they are going to be helpful and useful

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Winnie, this is so wise. Those stakes need to be high... and often on shaky ground. But also organic to the story, not like a comedian throwing random pies at someone. So I agree completely, the stakes need to be embedded enough to invest the reader in the story, in the characters, in the reality.

    Without that solid base we don't have anything to build from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruthy. "Without that solid base we don't have anything to build from" - so very true

      Delete
  10. Hi Winnie:

    Thanks, you have a very good list here of ways to raise the stakes. I would like to mention a pet peeve of mine. That is having multiple failed assignation attempts with each having the same stakes: the life of the character. Sometimes these are professional killers and they can't get the job done.

    I don't care if they try a different method each time. It's like some of those Avenger-type movies which simply have one fight scene after another until the last one: a grand finale of fireworks and dramatic music, about 2 1/2 hours after the start, followed by a final victory for the heroes -- that is, until the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vince - glad you liked the list. And yes, unless the conflict feels true and integral to the story, it often falls flat.

      Delete
  11. Just the other day I realized I'd solved a BIG problem in my book that drained all the tension out of it.
    I had to burn down a church I'd just built. Still sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow Mary, I feel your pain. I had to dump nearly 30K words of the book I'm working on because I took a wrong turn early on.

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."