Monday, February 1, 2021

Where do you get your ideas?

Braced for Love


My little hometown began as a trading post. Founded by a man who was, as it turns out, a scoundrel. Nice, sort of historical sounding word scoundrel, huh? In truth the man was a liar, a cheat, an adultery, and just generally--when it came to the way he treated women--a rat fink.

But he did like moving west. He was an explorer and a bold man it seems. Probably a charmer, too. I've known about this guy for years. Why it occurred to me to write this book now is weird, it's been in my head but I've never considered it before. Strange.

Here’s how this scoundrel helped me to get an idea for my new series, which is coming book #1, Braced for Love, next March.

He was married back east, had children, and at some point, he ran off, headed west, abandoned his wife and children to explore the frontier. One version of this story is, his family thought he had died.

Instead, he got to Nebraska, as far as my hometown.

Here in Nebraska, he founded a trading post…and…this is true so far, not yet my story…he lied about his name. Claimed to have powerful connections back east, got married, had children and…ran off.


I got to see my granddaughter who lives far away.
My daughter who lives far away.
My mom who lives locked in a nursing home.
Yay!!!!

There is one version of this story that says he went to Omaha, and ran into someone who knew him from back east, one version of THIS version is, he ran into his first wife’s brother. Who thought he was dead.

The brother beat him nearly to death.

And THAT’S why he ran off. It’s not like he WANTED to abandon the woman he was married to. He is now married to two women. I'm not sure if this is true, but I like it.

Next he goes on west to Colorado and (do we really need a drumroll?) he helped found a town, got married, had children and...his story is lost from then on. Did he stay with wife #3 (remember he is married to all three of them at the same time)


But I'm assuming he ran off and who knows how many families he scattered across the west. I have a vivid imagination and I write fiction, oh, there could be many more.

So my series is inspired by the scoundrel but of course I make it much worse when, if you really look at what my town's founder did, it's honestly hard to be much worse. Still, my scoundrel managed it.

Three families, each with one son. Each abandoned...except...his third and last wife was the owner of a large ranch. Her first husband died and left her with a young daughter and a vast ranch. Her father neighbored with her and after she became a young widow, she moved home to her father and the two of them, with her daughter, ran the ranches as one.

Then along comes the scoundrel. He has to be a charming rogue, doesn't he? To convince these women to marry him?

So he marries her and turns out to be a lazy, shiftless bum. She and her father work the ranch and he comes and goes for years. He has a son with three wives now. (this is very diverged now from my towns founder…but playing what if is most of the fun of writing!!!)


Then Wife #3’s father dies, her children are grown and solid ranchers with her. They endure “Pa’s” visits until he goes away again.

Then Wife #3 dies and leaves the two adult children to divide the ranch as is spelled out in her will.

Except…she doesn’t own that ranch. By law, any property, money, valuables of a woman, immediately upon her marriage, becomes the property of her husband. No one even thought about this, except for the Scoundrel.

Things go on as usual until the scoundrel, Clovis Hunt dies. His will is read and UH-OH. He did NOT leave the ranch with a will in place matching his wife’s. No, he, as full owner of that ranch, both his wife’s and his wife’s grandfather’s, has left the ranch to his three sons.

Well, no one’s even heard he had two other sons. The daughter of Wife #3 is completely aced out of the will. The son of Wife #3 goes from half owner to one-third owner. And two surprise sons have been notified of an inheritance from their recently deceased father whom they thought had been dead for twenty years.

And those brothers come and all three brothers, plus the sister of Wife #3, hate each other. And then someone starts trying to kill them. They suspect each other, but they’re going to have to team up to survive.

Each brother has a story. Each brother has to fight to survive. Each brother finds the love of his life.

Brother’s in Arms. Coming in March 2021.

Brothers in Arms

Left with little back in Missouri, Kevin Hunt takes his younger siblings on a journey to Wyoming when he receives news that he's inheriting part of a ranch. The catch is that the ranch is also being given to a half brother he never knew existed. Turns out, Kevin's supposedly dead father led a secret and scandalous life.

But danger seems to track Kevin along the way, and he wonders if his half brother, Wyatt, is behind the attacks. Finally arriving at the ranch, everyone is at each other's throats and the only one willing to stand in between is Winona Hawkins, a nearby schoolmarm.

Despite being a long-time friend to Wyatt, Winona can't help but be drawn to the earnest, kind Kevin--and that puts her in the cross hairs of somebody's dangerous plot. Will they all be able to put aside their differences long enough to keep anyone from getting truly hurt?

Book #2 A Man with a Past coming in in July 2021

Book #3...no cover yet but soon...Love on the Range coming in November 2021




54 comments:

  1. What a great concept! Oh, the ways of a scoundrel. My great-grandfather was a traveling salesman scoundrel, who came here from Scotland/Ireland (Scotch Irish) and abandoned my great grandmother with my grandmother and was reputed to have married several times. I've never looked into it, but you paired this perfectly with the archaic laws that messed up women's rights! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my NEXT series is going to be about women voting in Wyoming at such an early date. I've been studying it because this book is in Wyoming and I've got ideas!!!! I've got What If?
      I'm sorry for your great-grandmother but honestly a man could just walk away (or a woman) and ... new name ... new place ... new life. No need to fill in a social security number to get a job.

      Delete
    2. Your poor great-grandma's pain is your story. Mining geneology for story ideas. And you write contemporary but what if it came up in modern times? What if a grandchild turned up you've never heard of before. With 23andMe and things like that...Ancestory.com and all kind of things like this...there's a story!!!

      Delete
    3. It's amazing how many stories erupt from Ancestry and 23 and Me.... and I expect Great Grandpa probably left me a few cousins along the way.... but who has time to go look? So many books, so little time, LOL! This is not a bad problem to have!

      Delete
  2. Wow this sounds like a great series. I love reading and writing stories set in the old west. The lack of modern laws and technology allow for so many creative ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, I know, that's why I WRITE historical. It was a different world back then and everything was harder, from childbirth to cross-country travel to claiming your inheritance. We have no idea what people went through to do things we take for granted. Except in the hands of fiction writers, we do.

      Delete
    2. No need to spend money buying fake ID!!!

      Delete
  3. Mary, this sounds good. What fun to be starting a new series! Sounds like you followed the guiding star for ideas -- "What if?" and "Why not?"
    It must have been easier to get away with multiple marriages in the Old West, no internet, no paper trail, but that's not really true because people are still getting away with it today. Where there's a scam there's a way -- and a scammer.
    It's funny how a little thing -- or in this case a very big thing -- can spark something in us as writers. We see potential that others don't, even from a chance overheard remark in a pizza joint. Don't ask.
    Off to Bible study, may be back later.
    Kaybee
    Mining ideas in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pizza Joint Eavesdropping Strikes Again!!! Go Kaybee! :D

      Delete
    2. I love eavesdropping. I get so many story and conversation ideas!

      BTW, my husband thinks it's impolite. I figure if the people at the next table are talking loud enough for everyone to hear, they're the ones who are impolite. I'm just taking advantage of the situation. Right?

      Besides, a single sentence from a conversation is much more valuable to a writer than the entire dialogue, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. Fascinating! I love how you use the "what ifs" to come up with a whole series of stories. And, yes, "scoundrel" is perhaps too kind of a word :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, all I can say is WOW. All it takes is a nugget of "what if" to have our minds--yours in particular--off and running. This is going to be a great series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, of course, abandoned the true story every SINGLE time it hindered me. :)

      Delete
  6. BEST FODDER FOR STORIES EVER!!!!!!!! Wow! I cannot wait to read these!!!! I so love seeing how your brain works. ;) And I love that you use the term rat fink! lol

    My last book, His to Keep, came from researching women in medieval times. I read an account where a lord was away doing the king's business, and his wife had to command their guardsmen to defend the castle that was under attack. She was the one in charge. I LOVED THAT! So I made my heroine, Claire, defend her beloved home (a dilapidated castle) against a Scottish knight, who had just inherited said castle. Ahhh...all the "what-ifs". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherrinda, Rat Fink does NOT work it's way into the books. LOL

      Delete
    2. Love powerful women and old castles! Great combo!!!

      Delete
    3. I love the term "rat fink" and don't hear it often enough.

      Delete
  7. Great premise for a series! I love how writers' minds work. Additionally, I'm always amazed how a story can grow from a little kernel of an idea. Truly inspirational!

    Love the pic of the four generations! Oh that baby is adorable! Be still my heart! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is such a well behaved baby, too.
      Bedtime? Go lay her down in bed and walk away.
      12 hours of sleep a night.
      Such a smiler. Great belly laugh.
      I've got six grandkids and you have NOT heard me saying they are all well behaved. LOL

      Delete
  8. Oh but this looks like it was fun to research. And then fun to make stories out of it. I cant wait to read these books. I have an ancestor who lived during the civil war times. He started out in Ohio with wife #1 and had a passel of children. During the war he fell in love with his best friends wife. They had an affair and ran off to Indiana. (Wife #1 and kids were all still alive) So in Indiana he married this woman and had a few more kids. So now wife #2 and kids. His best friend got back from the war and followed him to Indiana where he took back his wife who would not leave the kids. So they all went back to Ohio. Well the ancestor had heard that his friend was on the way so he took off. (wow can you say scum bag?) He took off for upper Ohio. Here he fell in love with another woman. this time she was single. He married her. Well wife #3. He lived here for a number of years having three children. All boys. But he got bored and traveled to Kansas. Oh but there were so many beautiful women in the town he stayed in. He found a woman to keep him company and along came wife #4. And another few children. This is where my husband lost his trail. But he spread wives and children all over Ohio and Indiana and Kansas. Sigh. Oh well, lesson learned :) quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Lori, you could be related to half the Midwest.

      Delete
    2. Lori, have you ever heard that Daniel Boone was captured by Indians and help captive for like...two or three years. His wife figured him for dead and married Daniel's brother. They had a child together when here comes Daniel back home. LOL
      The brother just moved out. Left the child with the almost-wife. Daniel moved back in and they have more kids.
      Your ancestor, is LUCKY you are willing to count him.

      Delete
    3. Oh mylanta, I love these stories of scoundrels! Jerks!!!!

      Delete
  9. It's relatively easy for me to come up with ideas because I tend to think in series and there's always someone in one of my books that is crying out (or whining) for their own story. I don't think I could write a stand-alone to save my life. I hope my life never DEPENDS on me doing a stand-alone. Sheesh. Mary, you have opened a can of worms for me with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take notes KayBee. You will be glad to have a deep well of inspiration.

      Delete
  10. I love this series idea!

    I'm in the process... No, strike that. I can't BE in the process until I get my current WIP done...but somewhere in the back of my mind, a new series is developing. I'm planning to dive into my genealogy for the details - the Amish side - so I'm not sure who the scoundrels are going to be yet.

    Because every good series has a scoundrel in the background somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seem to be no end to available scoundrals!!!

      Delete
  11. Wow, Mary, this sounds like a fascinating series! I hope I can keep everyone in the books straight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a story! I love it when a book has a really believable and really interesting premise to start off. What better way to make it believable than by basing it on real life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I think mine is more orderly than the truth. The truth? That came out about that guy long after his death. While MY GUY...the guy told the truth in his will.

      Delete
  13. Oh my goodness! Mary, this sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a story idea on the back burner that will require some research (an added bonus to writing historical fiction) While having blood work done a while back the nurse, who knows I write westerns and that I do everything in my power not to think about what she is doing with that needle in my arm, told me an interesting tale. We live in a part of the Ozarks where the Trail of Tears passed. She told me that when they reached this area there was a twelve year old girl who was very sick and her mother knew she would not make it if she kept walking. The mother found a family to take her in and they raised the girl. When she was a young adult the family hired a cowboy to work the ranch and of course they fell in love only the man couldn't stay. Nurse does not know why he had to leave but the man promised the girl he would be back for her in a year and begged her to wait for him. He must have returned because he is one of the nurse's great uncles (I'm not sure how many greats) and the girl is one of my doctor's wife's great grandmothers. There's a story in there that needs to be told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, that is so interesting and weaves in such great history!!! Go for it.

      Delete
  15. "My mom who lives locked in a nursing home.
    Yay!!!!"



    Worse two lines ever, out of context, to appear on Seekerville! (A brace you have to be braced for!)

    And, talk about 'rat finks', you created the perfect scoundrel in Sidney…and what did you do back then? You killed him so that real 'rat fink', Tom, could pooch his wife and three adorable daughters! Not, yay!

    Sidney was a dreamer, a charmer, who was always looking past the horizon for 'what could be'! (RFK before his time? Those 'K's were not all that faithful either!). Of course, Sidney was a scoundrel -- that was the whole point! Perhaps, in the "Brothers in Arms" series, the 'Spirit of Sidney' may find fulfillment at last in the mature power of an author who is at the height of her talents! I hope so.

    BTW: I love that family photo! Your granddaughter seems absolutely delighted to have her picture taken! A perfect 'new generation' girl. I hope other photos like that are extant because if that were my sister and it was a four generation photo, I'd be so jealous I couldn't look at it without seeing a green tint! Simply wonderful!

    Loved the story of the scoundrel, the photo, and I really can't wait to read your new series. Perhaps, I'll need to be braced to read them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vince you have GOT to let my rat find Sidney go. Let him go, Man!!!!
      Where as Tom Linscott is the enduring hero for all time.
      And that little baby girl LOVES to smile and laugh and pose. She's not even a year old yet!!!

      Delete
    2. Maybe I should rephrase that pair of sentences about my mom, though!

      Delete
    3. Hi Mary:

      I've tried to let Sidney go. I even wrote a 80,000 word NaNo novel where Sidney faked his death, went west, build a castle overlooking the Pacific ocean and with his vast new wealth, (he struck it mega rich in California with questionable railroad trusts), he created a media empire which he used to start the Spanish and American war! He was no small time scoundrel.

      Sidney also started a foundation which to date has provided more funds for worthy causes than Andrew Carnegie. (of course, there was no income tax back then).

      And yet it is not my fault that you created such a memorable character. Besides, I did manage to let Sidney rest for years until this post which made scoundrels seem somewhat loveable. Moreover, I'm not even alone in this: I'm in a Post Sidney Disorder management therapy group. I'am doing all I can. It's not my fault. :(

      BTW: About that photo, I read a story in a photo magazine about a professional photographer who was taking one photo of his younger daughter every day of her life since her birth and had been doing this for years. This was somewhat expensive then as he was using film but it was a project which was getting him some national notoriety.

      As an aside: the photographer's older daughter ridiculed this effort as stupid for taking photos on days nothing happened. After years of this she gave up and asked her father to include her in the photos which he did but of course, it was really too late for the older daughter. But the poor guy had to keep the peace. True story!!!

      That photo made me think the same effort could be done for your granddaughter for almost free with digital photos. These would be in color and never age or fade. No developing and almost no storage problems.

      Each photo could simply have the date as the title. Just think what it would be like to be 100 years old and have photos of yourself, doing what was most memorable that day, for every day of your life? You might be talking to several grandchildren and show them what you looked like when you were their age exactly to the day. Wow. Just an idea. (Honey, here's what I looked like in my senior prom dress.)

      Delete
    4. I saw something like that 'picture a day' thing a while ago. A guy did it for his son. And once I saw a 'picture a day for a year' of a tree. That was pretty cool. All the seasons. I'll suggest it to my daughter. With phone cameras, she probably could almost manage it even starting at nearly a year old. She snaps pictures a LOT!

      Delete
    5. And there's a Sidney support group huh? Like Team Tom/Team Sidney?
      I hope they have a nice lunch.

      Delete
    6. Hi Mary:

      Wow! I got so interested again about Sophie's Daughters, (Petticoat Ranch is my favorite of your western books), that I just was able to download all three books for just $4.99 -- that's close to 1000 pages in total! I read them originally out of order and they were print books. I'd love to read them again in the right order with the wonderful, well lighted, large type, Kindle reader. Kindle even remembers the page you were on if you fall asleep at 3 am. Which I do.

      By the way, Team Sidney and Team Tom get along great. It is like when two football teams trade for each other's quarterback, LA and Detroit for example, and both teams go on and win big time. We love Team Tom because as it turned out, Mandy was impossible to live with! Tom was reporter as saying, "I had to slay a dragon to win my lady, so as much as she nags me, I'll never let her go. Too much invested." On the other hand Sidney was reported in the Paris papers of having an affair with his very good 'friend' Sarah Bernhardt during World War I, of course, both were rather old at the time and thought of the affair talk as quite humorous. Sidney once said that Sarah was such a good actress that she could have made a better con man than him. :)

      Delete
  16. Oh my! Love the background and I'm as already imagining the laugh-out-loud moments!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow - what a crazy TRUE story! You can't write that kind of stuff...lol. This sounds like a fun series and I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee-Ann it sounds like so many things like this happened, from the comments above.

      Delete
  18. Fun post, Mary. Sounds like you have created some interesting characters. I look forward to this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun making them interesting and three dimensional.

      Delete
  19. I'm always up for a Mary Connealy book! Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how ideas and stories we have talked about years ago pop up as your stories! I think we should hang out again soon and talk stories and ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."