Monday, February 8, 2021

Writing is my Boyfriend with Guest Angela Ruth Strong

Erica here: I'm delighted to host Angela Ruth Strong here at Seekerville today. If you know Angela at all, you know that Strong is more than just her name. It's who she is! She's a great friend, a great writer, and so very, very strong. A few weeks ago, she mentioned filling out scene cards in a post on Facebook, and I was intrigued! I'm always curious as to fellow-authors' methods and means of crafting stories, and much to my delight, Angela agreed to come here to Seekerville to share her method! Take it away, Angela!



I’m not the most structured person, so often when I write, my notes are scattered everywhere from phone texts to napkins I stole from The Cheesecake Factory. Sadly, I often lose these notes and have to completely recreate the work I’ve already done.

It’s much more fun to have my work compiled in such a way that I can refer back to it when needed, and I’m really thankful I found a system for this while going through chemo treatments. Because now that I’m ready to write the novel I’ve been dreaming out for over a year, I’ve already got the plot and characters ready to go.

This method comes from the book Story Genius by Lisa Cron, though I’ve adapted it to fit my own wild ways. And whether you are a pantser or a plotter, you can adapt it too.

First, I got a file folder and divided it up into sections for Scenes, Characters, Ideas, Random, and In-Development.



The goal is to get to a pile of numbered scene cards that lead from one to the next, powered by your character’s motivations and the domino effects their actions cause. The cards are simple, and they reveal plot holes or areas for potential writer’s block when you can’t fill in a blank. The cool thing is when that happens, you already have a file full of character info, ideas, and random notes to pull from.



Yesterday I took my pile of In-Development cards to a brainstorming session with one of my favorite comedy writers, Heather Woodhaven. Granted, my book titled Football is My Boyfriend is based on the football season, so I was also able to pull this old season calendar out of my folder.



This feels kind of like cheating, but it was great for knowing where a scene should go even if I didn’t have an idea for it yet. I was able to say, “This is an away game, so they are probably watching at Payton’s mom’s house, but I don’t know what happens there.” Then we’d look at the scene before and after, see exactly where the characters were at in their motivations, and fill in the blanks accordingly.


Coming Soon from Kregel Publications!


It was great because I was able to tie all my random ideas together. Some ideas were vetoed by Heather like “her dog dies.” I really didn’t want to kill the dog, but I needed my characters to have motivation for an upcoming scene. We were able to take other random notes that I didn’t remember writing like “her uncle shows up” to fill in that blank and trigger specific reactions in each of my characters.

My favorite moment came from a connection we made with a sledgehammer. “Yes!” I yelled and scribbled “sledgehammer” across the card. Heather added, “It was meant to be!” Which I followed up with, “It’s brilliant!” Then the wind whipped the card away into a nearby fountain we couldn’t reach, and we both stared at it for a moment. “It’s good luck,” Heather finally said. “Like throwing a penny into a wishing well.”

I liked that perspective. But rather than wish for a story that works, I’m going to keep filling out these cards.

Scene #1

Alpha Point: Angela fills out plotting cards for the first time.

Subplot: Heather enjoys the process and gets excited to finish her last contracted Love Inspired Suspense novel so she can start her own romantic comedy.


Cause: Angela is trying to figure out life after cancer.

Effect: Angela gets invited to blog about her new process by Erica Vetsch.


Why it Matters: Angela cares about story and wants to be an inspiration to other writers.

Realization: Getting organized is worth the extra time and effort.


And so…Whether or not she writes a bestseller, wins awards, or has Football is My Boyfriend made into a movie with Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, she will still find more satisfaction in her work.



Links:
https://www.bookbub.com/authors/angela-ruth-strong




Angela Ruth Strong sold her first Christian romance novel in 2009 then quit writing romance when her husband left her. Ten years later, God has shown her the true meaning of love, and there's nothing else she'd rather write about. Her books have since earned TOP PICK in Romantic Times, been optioned for film, won the Cascade Award, and been Amazon bestsellers. She also writes non-fiction for SpiritLed Woman. To help aspiring authors, she started IDAhope Writers where she lives in Idaho, and she teaches as an expert online at WRITE THAT BOOK.

Erica Here again: Describe your writing process. Plotter/Pantser, scene cards, outlines, snowflake method, darts at the wall? We want to know! 


35 comments:

  1. Angela, I love this and am going to try it with my WIP. I'm old-school and use a lot of paper -- index cards, folders, printouts that I can hand-edit with a red Pilot G2 pen, preferably bold point, you GET my point, right?
    I keep folders on my research, character development (at least the H and H), background, historical events and my outline. Usually I have it all in place before I type "Chapter One." This WIP is a little more complex and in a period I haven't written about, so I did some preliminary research and then started writing, because I knew if I didn't start I never would. I am a plotter, but the specifics of that plotting vary depending on the story.
    Hey, whatever works for us, right?
    We are sitting under a NEW six inches of snow and I am staying home today to keep the fire going while my husband does the yard. May sneak some writing in on said WIP.
    Kathy Bailey aka Kaybee aka sick of snow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy! I love that our processes are both set and fluid and that we can chop and change any time! Congrats on branching out into a new era!

      And I hear you about the snow. We only got a new dusting last night, but the high temp today is -2. Blah.

      Delete
    2. I admit I'm a little jealous of you both right now. It's been warm here in Idaho, and we've had no snow stick this year. Writing in front of a fireplace sounds perfect! Good for you for getting going, Kaybee. What period are you writing about? I'm afraid if I ever tried to write historical, I'd end up pulling out my hair and be bald again.

      Delete
  2. Really like hearing about different processes to writing. I need to get out my copy of Story Genius again. Thanks for sharing, Angela. Stay well and strong! 😉😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rebecca, I've not read Story Genius! Gasp! I need to rectify that soon!

      Delete
    2. It's got some really great perspectives on having a "third rail" like a subway train. I think you'll like it, Erica. Have you tried it before, Rebecca?

      Delete
  3. Great post, Angela. I hope you are doing well. Cute picture of you! I use scene cards in different colors for the POV character in that scene. I also use colored sticky notes on a board. Thanks for sharing your method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I color-code too! What is it, were we Separated At Birth?

      Delete
    2. Kathy, guess we are both old-school and visual!

      Delete
    3. I color code everything! It must be that visual thing. :-)

      Delete
    4. Ah, those color coded sticky notes! I first learned about using post its on a plot board right here at Seekerville many moons ago! Life Changing for this writer!

      Delete
    5. You are all so much more organized than I am. I could learn from you.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Angela! It's always fun to see how other authors work because you never know what might resonate. BTW, your last name is perfect for you. You are, indeed, STRONG. And I love that pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Mindy! STRONG is a great name for Angela to bear!

      Delete
    2. I love my last name. As for my hubby, he grew up having to prove it. :-/ As for my new system, I started writing last week, and it's been good so far!

      Delete
  5. Angela, this was a great post! I really like the idea of cards. How wonderful to have ideas to choose from when you get stuck. I tend to do a lot of my brainstorming on my laptop, but sometimes writing things out spurs new ideas. I love your book titles! They sound like fun reads. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her coffee-themed titles, Jeanne. I can't seem to brainstorm very effectively on my laptop. I noodle lots of ideas in my head, but eventually I have to talk it out and write it on my little post its to get it in order. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I can't tell you how many times I had to explain Husband Auditions to my hubby. "WHAT are you talking about?" As for Football is my Boyfriend, my agent's mom really thought her boyfriend was named Football. LOL

      Delete
  6. Angela, welcome back! It's always an absolute pleasure to see your pretty face... and wise words!!!... in Seekerville!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Ruthy! I love when Angela visits. :) We met in person in Nashville a few years ago, and she's just as delightful in person!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Ruthy. It's always an honor to be a guest over here with you lovely ladies.

      Delete
  7. Angela, thanks for an interesting blog and great tips on developing a story! Also, congrats on your success!!!

    My two favorite writing aids are my AlphaSmart for creating a very rough first draft and a white board upon which I outline my story as if I were teaching a class on brainstorming. Somehow the white board helps me "see" the entire story, and the AlphaSmart keeps me moving forward--without editing--until I have that rough first draft. Also, I love my kitchen timer that allows me to work in timed, 30 minute segments.

    So really, I have three writing aids: my white board, AlphaSmart and kitchen timer. Nothing fancy about any of them. All low-tech and easy to use, but somehow they help me create my stories.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby! I used a white board to begin the plotting of my current story, because I, too, needed to "see" the story in a different way. It helped a lot!

      Delete
    2. Those sound like great aids. Though I'm going to have to google AlphaSmart. Nicole Deese just told me she has an app that locks her out of social media when she's supposed to be writing. I think I'm going to need to try that one of these days too.

      Delete
  8. This is a great post, Angela! Thank you for introducing us to your method!

    My story building methods are always changing. Index cards had been my go-to for years, but I abandoned them half-way through the last book. I always used them to keep the story beats in line, but those story beats are ingrained now, so I don't rely on the cards anymore.

    For one of my WIPs (a cozy mystery,) I decided to copy the master of the craft, Agatha Christie. She kept a notebook for each story where she would outline ideas as she went. So I have a cheap school spiral notebook where I write my ideas for each scene and revise and expand as needed.

    That method is working for the mystery, but not for the historical romance that my alter ego is writing. I'll have to put Story Genius on my list of craft books to read!

    I do like learning about new methods and writing aids - it keeps the work fresh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I like exploring new methods and writing aids, too. Just in case one brings on one of those 'a-ha!' moments that can open a new vein of possibilities. Plus, it's fun to 'talk shop' with other writers. :)

      Delete
    2. That sounds fascinating! For my last mystery, I used a poster board in which I divided it up into 30 chapters and followed an actual mystery beat sheet. My writing group helped me plot each chapter according to the beat sheet, then I wrote it. There are so many fun tricks to try!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for hosting me, Erica! You're always an inspiration for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the organizational aspect to your method - easy to find your cards when you need them! I use Post-It notes and tack recipe cards to the wall behind my computer with the main points I need to remember (like GMC). I also have a file folder that sits beside me while writing that contains all of my romance beats and character sketches I created using the Story Equation.

    I am always interested to hear how other writers keep organized. :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you enjoy the Story Equation? I need to look into that method, too!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I need to check out Story Equation too!

      Delete
  11. Anyone else failing to receive Seekerville via E mail the last two days??? I had to go to original website to get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get it by email. I always go to the website.

      Delete
  12. Jackie I always just come here to the website but I will check if our email feature is working. Thanks for telling us.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."