Monday, April 12, 2021

One Thing That Works For Me with guest Erika Kelly: Time With Jesus

 

 
Good Monday morning, Seeker villagers! Carrie here to open today's new post in our monthly 'One Thing That Works For Me' series. Actually, let me turn it over to our own Erica Vetsch now, as she has graciously offered to introduce today's guest. Take it away, Erica!

First, an introduction…Erika Kelly…how do I describe such an amazing woman in just a few words? Erika is a sister-in-Christ, walking salt-and-light, generous, kind, funny, wise, seasoned woman who also happens to run a bookstore. I first met Erika when she worked at Christian Book & Gift in Rochester, MN, a family-owned bookstore that has since closed its doors. (Sadness) Then, she was my daughter’s third-grade Sunday School teacher, and finally, she became the manager of Christos Bookstore, a ministry of Autumn Ridge Church. I am always geeked up to visit Christos because I know I’m going to see Erika and I’m going to be blessed. She always has a word of encouragement, of wisdom, or of insight when I come in, and often, she pauses what she is doing (she’s a very busy woman) to pray with me before I leave. And I never leave empty-handed. I am blessed to call her my friend, and I’m so glad she’s sharing with us in the “One Thing That Works For Me” series.

One Thing That Works For me Regarding The Bookstore ...

... one thing = time with Jesus each morning. First thing upon awakening, I open my Bible Scripture app and read the verse for the day, and then, after making my coffee, I sit and journal in my Gratitude Journal. The number of entries is in the 10,000s as I started it years ago. Writing in a gratitude journal helps me frame my attitude for the day. After that, I pull out my Bible and devotionals and read a variety of them, marking the Scripture in my Bible. When God lays a person on my heart, as I read a devotion or Scripture, I intentionally reach out and text them or Facebook message them , and it usually always comes at a “God time” when they needed it most. Also, I have note-cards which I write when God prompts me to reach out to one of His dear ones.

We live in a time, when people need more encouragement ... Godly encouragement ... than ever ... so being a part of Christos, I update our Facebook page daily with items to encourage. Each day I also post uplifting hope-filled messages on my personal Facebook page, and have been asked over the past few years to update the FB page of our local Christian radio station, KFSI. God's Hope Filled Promises need to be sent out and shared with each passing day amid a world that has turned from Him.

Another great benefit of working in a Christian Bookstore, is it has helped me to read at least 2-3 books a month so I can recommend titles and speak from experience. There are so many God-Centered books out there, and if a book does not quote Scripture or refer to God and His Son, Jesus, then we will not carry it in Christos . Our mission at Christos is clear. Everything we think, do, say, read, watch, and listen to, needs to surround our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. We are all a day closer to Heaven, and Jesus is our Savior and Hope in this world. Our prayer is that others may see Him in us, and as I tell many customers, as they are trying to reach their lost family members and friends - "You may be the only Bible someone reads." Keep the faith dear ones. God knows you by name and all that is on your heart.

My life verse says to trust in the Lord with all my heart, and I won't lean on my own understanding; but in all my ways, I will acknowledge Him and He will direct my paths. Proverbs 3:5-6

Thank you for allowing me to share my heart,

Erika

Christos Bookcenter
Open Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 10-4
Wednesday 10-5
Saturday 4-7 pm
Sunday 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
on-line shopping available via www.AutumnRidgeChurch.org (click on Christos)
507-252-9090

*photos taken from Christos Bookcenter on Facebook, with permission

Erica V. here again. I can attest that Erika’s servant heart permeates everything she does at Christos. I observed, during the recent pandemic, how her heart for our community and believers everywhere shined. Christos has in-person, in-store shopping, online shopping, curbside delivery, and mailing/shipping options. I love supporting local, and I really love supporting Christos. It’s where I tell my friends to shop for my books! I encourage you to follow Christos on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/ChristosBookcenter You will be encouraged and uplifted, and you’ll learn about some God and Scripture-centered books at the same time!

Do you have a local Christian bookstore?
What Bible Verse encourages you? 

If you need prayer, just put the word “Prayer” at the end of your comment. You don’t need to say what you need prayer for. Jesus knows, and He’ll hear.

21 comments:

  1. Erika, wish I lived closer. We are suffering a dearth of Christian bookstores here, with one independent one closing last year and one chain store consolidating with another branch. The building abandoned by the chain store was bought by a Cash For Gold place. The irony is not lost. I can often find something at Barnes & Noble or BAM, but it's not the same. Keep pouring on the salt and sharing the Light.
    Kathy Bailey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy! I too wish more Christian bookstores were still around - I grew up in those stores!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Kathy that there is a huge lack of bookstores in general and Christian ones are even more scarce. We have one Catholic bookstore left out of the three that used to be downtown here years ago. It sounds like Christos is doing everything right and I hope they remain a light in your community for many years. Thanks for sharing with us today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glynis! Yes, so thankful for the Christian bookstores that ARE still around - we need to be praying for them. It's got to be tough.

      Delete
  3. Erika, thank you so much for sharing your heart with us here today! I'm so thankful for you, and for the ministry of Christos in Rochester. It's such a blessing to have a resource like Christos nearby.

    I love that the "One Thing That Works For You" in running the bookstore also translates to work for everyone. Start the day with Jesus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have no bookstore at all locally. Prayers for my mom please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, has your mother's condition grown worse? I continue to pray for her and for you and your family. God bless you, dear friend!

      Delete
    2. praying, Lucy <3 And how sad not to have a bookstore of any kind close by :(

      Delete
    3. Praying for your mama, Lucy.

      I'm so thankful for online ordering options for people who cannot visit a bookstore in person.

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Erica Vetsch and Carrie, for hosting Erika Kelly!

    So glad you can be with us today, Erika. I can never pass a bookstore without stopping in...and usually buying at least one book! Alas, as others have mentioned, our local Christian bookstores have closed (long before COVID). So sad, and perhaps a foreshadowing of darker days to come.

    I love how you're spreading the Lord's love and his message of mercy and forgiveness on a daily basis! Good for you! People are hungry for God, and the pandemic has made that hunger even more profound. Often they don't realize what they're searching for until someone, like you, Erika, showers them with love and shows them what it means to be a faithful follower of Christ. Bless you!

    Keep up the good work and continue to share the Good News! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me wish GA and MN were closer to each other because I would love visiting Erika & Christos! (And our own Erica too)

      Delete
    2. Let's make plans, Carrie! You NEED a vacation to Minnesota! Come for the reader's retreat! :) I'll take you to Christos, and we can talk books until our tongues fall out! :)

      Delete
  6. Erika, I want a Christos! We live in a small town and as I read about your store my mind began whirling with ideas. That aside, I love your attitude and approach to life. I love that you reach out to people as God lays them on your heart. How many times does that happen to each of us and yet we don't act on it. God bless you, Erika, for brightening the lives of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so often God lays someone on my heart and I DON'T reach out - but the times i DO, always a blessing for me too.

      Delete
  7. Hi Erika:

    My favorite Bible quote has been made into a song which I find to be a beautiful expression of love and faith. Here a people have suffered a catastrophic fate and yet they can sing out with praise of their Lord God. I feel inspired every time I hear this song.

    Psalm 137, By the Rivers of Babylon

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYK9iCRb7S4

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your post, Erika. My town has a Christian bookstore, although I work at our other bookstore in town which is secular. Both are independent bookstores. We are fortunate because few towns around us have a bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erika, welcome to Seekerville. What an encouraging, wise post today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."