Monday, May 10, 2021

One Thing That Works For Me with guest Janyre Tromp: Super Hero Editing Trick

 

 
Good Monday morning, Seeker villagers! Carrie here to introduce today's guest for our new monthly 'One Thing That Works For Me' series. Please join me in welcoming author & developmental editor Janyre Tromp as she shares her super hero editing trick!

I was once asked how many hours a day I read. My answer—“If my eyes are open, I’m reading.”—might sound strange, but I’m an editor for a traditional publishing house by day and a writer by night. I do a little bit of everything. I’m a bit like a publishing super hero. Well maybe.
 
While I don’t have super powers to leap over the NYT bestseller list, my blend of editor and writer does give me a powerful perspective when it comes to editing and access to some pretty super editing tricks. So when Erica asked me to share the “one thing that works well for me in editing,” I had approximately 2.1 billion things run through my head.
 
But when I got my own manuscript back for its substantive (or developmental) edit, I found myself employing one super trick over and over in my communication with my own editor—the hashtag or “#”.
 
While the little pound sign is super powerful in social media, it can perform Herculian feats in your edits too.
 
Let me explain using examples that may or may not be from my actual fantastic editorial letter.
 
Prevents Editing Rabbit Trails
 
Let’s say your editor tells you that she’s concerned about how your character thinks inconsistently about her mother throughout the book. But you have more than twenty pages of other edits to tackle. If you side-track yourself every single time the mother is mentioned, you’ll be constantly doing things like, “Look at me checking this scene to straighten out where everyone is sleeping. And oh look, my character is talking about her mom again. I better fix that hmmm . . .” [Insert ten minutes of messing around with things] “Wait, ummm . . . what was I doing?”
 
Instead of trying to fix the mama issues AND tackle scene specific issues at the same time, insert a comment bubble (in Word, go to Insert/New Comment) and type #mamaissue. Then when you’re done dealing with the specific issues in the whole manuscript, you can search #mamaissue. Magically your word processor will show you every single incident of your character referencing her mother. Now you can fix them without sidetracking yourself.
 
Point to Edits
 
If that’s not enough for you to shout, “It’s bird, it’s a plane. No! It’s a super editing trick.” There’s more.   
 
What if your editor asks you to foreshadow a specific problem earlier? You realize she’s made a very good point, but how do you communicate where you’ve made edits (or let’s be honest, remind yourself where you made the edits)? Enter the super hashtag. You drop “#early” in comment bubbles at your edit points, and voila, your editor can find them all.
 
Tracking Themes, Characters, and Stuff
 
Now maybe you’re thinking, “This is all fine and good if you have an editor to communicate with, but this hashtag isn’t all that for self-edits.”
 
Hold up. 
 
Super hashtag is an editing tool for everyone.
 
Have a theme you’re not sure is clear? Hashtag it. #theme
 
Have a character you think you might need to tweak their arc? Hashtag it. #arc
 
Not sure if your backstory lines up throughout the book? Document the information elsewhere, then go back to your document and, everybody say it with me, “hashtag it.” #backstory
 
Editing is never for the weak at heart and will play mind games better than the world’s most clever villain. But never fear, hashtag is here.
 
Have questions about how it works or ideas of other applications? Or have you used the super hashtag before? I’d love to hear about it. 
 
In the meantime, if you’d like a free copy of my novella, Wide Open, pop over to my website and sign up for my newsletter (which always includes free tips for writers): www.janyretromp.com 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Janyre Tromp is a developmental editor with Kregel Publications by day and writer of historical novels with a dose of suspense at night. And that all happens from her kitchen table when she’s not hanging out with her husband, two kids, two troublesome cats, and slightly eccentric Shetland Sheepdog.

Her childrens’ series, All About God’s Animals, is available wherever books are sold, and her novel, Shadows in the Minds Eye, will release winter of 2022.

Connect with Janyre: website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

 

Thank you, Janyre, for such a fabulous & helpful post!
Do you have questions for Janyre on how it works?
Any ideas of other ways this trick can be used?
Have you used the super hashtag before? 

Leave us a comment below!

38 comments:

  1. What a great post. This is the kind of thing I'm looking for now: gritty and granular tricks and tips from experienced writers. I know the basics, but I need these kinds of hacks to make it work.
    Thanks for stopping by.
    Kathy Bailey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! That's the goal of this monthly series, Kathy. So glad it will help you :)

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad it was helpful to you. If you want more hints and tips, be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and/or follow me on social media. I drop these types of things pretty consistently.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tips, Janyre. I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a good trick to add to the writing repertoire for sure!

      Delete
    2. You're absolutely welcome. If you want more hints and tips, be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and/or follow me on social media.

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by, Glynis!

      Delete
    2. It's one of my favorite tricks. Glad you liked it. If you want more hints and tips, be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and/or follow me on social media.

      Delete
  4. What a great idea Janyre. Thank you. I can use this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found it useful. If you want more hints and tips, be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and/or follow me on social media.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful suggestions! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great editing trick, Janyre!

    I tend to write notes to myself as I'm writing. Things like "make sure the gold mine is mentioned in chapter 3." But this hashtag thing is brilliant. #goldmine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. speaking of gold mines :) haha

      Delete
    2. Ha ha ha! Perfect use. If you want more hints and tips, be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and/or follow me on social media.

      Delete
  7. Janyre is my editor, and I can say from experience that the hashtag trick is a brilliant one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it seems like it would be! Not being a writer, I have no frame of reference but it sounds ingenious :)

      Delete
    2. It helps when working with awesome writers like you ;-)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for having me. If any of you would like more hints and tips, be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and/or follow me on social media. I drop these types of things pretty consistently.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im a little confused on how & when to use it. Is it before you really dig into a macro or developmental edit? You go through & # specific things?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can really use it at any time. I will even use it as I'm writing even as a note to myself to check something.

      Basically it's just a way to make notes to yourself so you don't get sidetracked from what you're doing at the moment and yet not lose the places and thoughts that need fixing.

      Delete
  10. Yes, yes, yes! I love it when Janyre uses the #SuperHashtag in my ms. It helps me find specific issues, and work on one issue at a time through the whole ms.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this idea and my mind is churning all kinds of uses for it! I also love shelties. Jayne is pretty great, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo a mind churning with ideas is the best! :)

      Delete
    2. Woo hoo! Glad to help get your mind churning!

      Delete
  13. Hi Janyre:

    Welcome.

    I have a question: how do you pronounce your first name? (Is there a story behind that name?)

    Years ago, when I would edit a situation like you mentioned, I'd use the "Index" feature in the word processor. I'd enter the words 'mother' and the mother's name, 'Mary', and generate an index of everywhere those words appeared.

    Have you used the Index feature as well?

    I've heard it asked, "Who will watch the watchmen?" one might also ask "Who will edit the editors?" It seems the editor's editor will edit the editors. Seems like a circular argument. ;0

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a simple yet useful trick. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic tip! I'm self editing at the moment and will be applying this tip.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."