Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Those Flaming Arrows


by Mindy Obenhaus

Ever felt as though you’re under attack? You know, going through life, kind of enjoying your comfortable little routine and then along comes something to throw you off balance. So you address that issue, then, before you know it, here comes another one. And then another, none of which are catastrophic, yet they keep bombarding you until suddenly all of those little things start to feel huge.

Yeah, that kinda sums up the last month for me. Not that I should be surprised. After all, Jesus tells us in John 16:33, “In this world you will have trouble.”

Well, that doesn’t make me want to jump up and down for joy, but the good news is that Jesus didn’t stop there. He went on to say, “But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Indeed He has. Yet while He’s called us to be more than conquerors (Romans 8:37), I can easily spend more time whining than conquering.


You’ve often heard it said here at Seekerville, “If He calls you, He will equip you.” Yes, we’re talking about writing, but the same holds true for every other aspect of our lives. So how do we deal with those flaming arrows when they take aim at us?

Faith.

Ephesians 6:16 NIV says, “In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.” Yes, right there we see that God has equipped us. He’s given us a shield of faith to have at the ready. Except sometimes we leave our shield in the closet or tuck it under the bed. Even if it’s only in the corner of the room, it takes effort to walk over and pick up our shield.

The King James version is a little more direct. “Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.” Not take up but taking. As in always having it with you. And it doesn’t just say “in addition,” but “above all.” Hmm, Paul is really stepping on my toes now.


So what is faith? Faith is confidence. Trust. In some ways, faith is like a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it gets. Unlike muscles, though, you can choose to have faith at any time. You don’t have to be a Bible scholar or be part of an intensive Bible study or even quote scripture verses. You simply have to believe that God is bigger than whatever you’re facing and that, no matter the outcome, He is with you and will guide you through it.

Why am I sharing this today? Because my posts usually reflect something I’ve been struggling with since we last talked. And I know that somewhere out there one of you is facing the same battle. So sister, I’ve got your back. Let’s take up our bedazzled shields of faith (because let’s face it, why have a plain old shield when you can have a sparkly one?) and quench some fiery darts. 

And while we're at it, let's giveaway something. Giving and/or receiving always brightens my day. So how about this? Leave a comment to be entered to win a signed copy of my March release, A Brother's Promise, OR the 2-in-1 anthology with Her Colorado Cowboy. Your choice. US mailing addresses only, please.



Award-winning author Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, two sassy pups, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com

 

42 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure God sent me over to read this today, Mindy... and it's spot on. I've had a crazy two weeks with farm stuff, taxes, and writing but taxes are done, I feel like I can breathe and juggle again, and here is the armor I'm needing. That reminder that we prepare and don those sparkly chest protectors. BEDAZZLED KEVLAR!!!! :)

    Thank you for this. It made me smile and think. That can sometimes be a dangerous combination, but not today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bedazzled kevlar? I LOVE it!!

      Delete
    2. I love it, Ruthy! Kevlar is much lighter making it much easier to carry. Now we have no excuses.

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking God not only sent a bunch of us here first thing this morning, but inspired you to give use the reminder we needed, Mindy. Sparkles and all!

    Thank you.

    And, oof, Ruthy. Another reminder. Still need to do my taxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, we all have STUFF in our lives. I know I have to constantly remind myself that God doesn't leave me out there to flounder, but is always with me.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Mindy. There are a number of things in my life right now that could trip me up, so this is a timely reminder.
    We have to wear "bible armor" ALL THE TIME because Satan's darts are always different. If he can't get us on one weakness, he'll go for another.
    My morning devotions took me to Jeremiah 33 (I'm one of those people who reads the Bible in a year with a chart), and the whole chapter is about promise and hope, even as the Hebrew people face certain captivity and the loss of their way of life. Jeremiah 33:3 shows what will ensue if we keep our armor on.
    Much to think about, will be back later.
    KB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I love that verse. So why is it we continually think we can do things on our own and crying out seems to be a last resort? Okay, maybe you don't do that, but I so often do. But there's no need to cry out when a whisper would suffice because He's always been right there. Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy.

      Delete
    2. Mindy, I am way more of a Martha than I am a Mary, and sometimes I try to fix things on my own. Heck, most of the time. I am learning to go to Him first.

      Delete
    3. Kathy, you're in good company. We Martha's are a plentiful bunch. ;)

      Delete
  4. This is exactly what I needed to hear--and it looks like I'm not the only one. When God is for us, who can be against us? Thank you for sharing that today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Glynis! And we all need to be reminded every so often that we are not alone.

      Delete
  5. Mindy, this post is perfect. The last month has been like nothing else for me. After over a year of employing care and diligence and doing exactly what we were told, my teenaged daughter caught Covid. It absolutely threw my world out of balance. I got very little writing done. I worried instead of praying. There were some moments of bonding that are precious to me, like rubbing oils on her feet every night and seeing her face when people dropped off gifts at the front door. She is back at school today, and I have two more days of quarantine, but as we resume normalcy (we're all oh so close, right?), it's important to remember that the fiery arrows never really stop. We should have that shield held high always. Thank you again for the encouragement. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, I'm so glad to hear your daughter is back at school. And that you're almost free to roam again. Boy, do I hear you on the worry instead of praying. Why is worry always our first inclination when Jesus is always right there, waiting for us to cast all our cares on Him? While your daughter being sick was scary, I'm glad you're able to look back and recognize the simple joys that were hidden amongst the chaos. Those are the things that sustain us and help us grow.

      Delete
    2. Rachel, sorry you had to go through that but looks like you had the right attitude. Glad for you that it is over.

      Delete
  6. Seems the devil is working overtime these days! Thank goodness we belong to Our Loving Lord who wants to protect us and keep us safe. Love the idea of a jazzy shield. I'm adding more bling to mine and thanking God for his faithfulness.

    Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Thank the Lord everyday for all the trials and tribulations he brings me through! Thank you for the wonderful post today and Happy Mother's Day To all! Love the cover of your New release please enter me in your wonderful book giveaway! Blessings to All.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Mother's Day to you, too, Sarah! As for those trials and tribulations, it's hard to be thankful while we're in the middle of the storm, but, oh, the glorious joy when He brings us out and we realize He never left our side.

      Delete
  8. Mindi thanks for the inspiration, and just when I needed it! Nothing big or bad happening, just a ton of distractions and things that need my attention (and action).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, those pesky distractions can, sometimes, suck the life right out of us. Hang in there. Here are some more sparkles.

      Delete
  9. Hi Mindy:

    Your post made me think about faith.

    I believe that faith is belief in action.

    As Cassius told Brutus when events seemed to overwhelm him, "Of your philosophy you make no use if you give place to accidental evils." Brutus was a Stoic but he failed to turn his faith in Stoicism into action.

    In Luke 17-21 believers are told that, "the kingdom of God is within you."

    Our shield is within us. All we have to do is use it! Yet to use it, we have to believe it is there to be used.

    The best way to build faith is to put it in action.

    BTW: "A Brother's Promise" is a wonderful, 5 star story. It was so refreshing to enjoy an older hero and heroine. Just loved the ending. It was beyond happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Vince. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yes, putting that faith into action is where many of us fail. Like I mentioned to someone else, our default often seems to be worry or whining when should simply hold up our shield and stop those things that threaten to derail us by turning them over to God. Indeed, faith without action isn't faith.

      Delete
  10. Oh Ms Mindy, your post hit home with me. Sunday at church our Associate Pastor gave the message and it was, "Let Go, Let God." It was a great sermon and then this week's word is "release." So I think God's trying to get my attention. I like your mention of the shield of faith and we should use it. So the rest of this week I'm gonna try extra hard to take my shield and release the fears and let go and let God. Btw, LOVE your books, you're a wonderful writer.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. And you know, God always seems to talk to me in multiples, too. By the third time, I know He's trying to tell me something. Letting go isn't easy. But experience has taught me that His ways are far better than mine. Hang in there.

      Delete
  11. Wonderful post. We all needed to read it. God bless us every one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! Thank you for the reminder that we have all we need in Jesus. And that He told us there would be reason to need Him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an encouraging post! We've all been through so much this last year, that sometimes our faith may be a little shaken! But God...is always there! I am blingy-type girl, so I love the visual of a bedazzled shield!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edwina, I love that phrase - But God. One of my favorites.

      Delete
  14. Thank you, Mindy for sharing your heart. I like your thought of taking faith with you wherever you go. How easily we forget to trust God, even when things are going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee-Ann, sometimes I think we're at our worst when things are going well because that's when we're prone to leave God out of the equation. We need Him all the time, good or bad. And aren't we grateful that's He's always there?

      Delete
  15. great post, Mindy! Such important truth <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. .
    Sometimes it takes a flaming arrow to extinguish the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vince, THAT is a very profound statement if you think on it. I might need to print one out.

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."