Monday, July 12, 2021

One Thing That Works For Me with guest Anne Victory: When Improving Dialogue

 

Happy Monday, dear Seeker villagers! My apologies for posting later than normal - you think you have everything covered and then someone emails wondering where today's Seekerville's post is. ARGH. lol.

Today's guest for this month's One Thing That Works For Me series is Anne Victory, a freelance editor who is here to share a technique that will help you improve your dialogue! Please welcome Anne with me!

Improve Your Dialogue with One Technique

Quick! Name the one part of your story that drives your plot forward, creates conflict, and paints a better, more accurate picture of your characters than narrative ever can.

If you guessed dialogue, you’re absolutely correct. Dialogue can show the type of person your character is, how they’re feeling at a particular moment, what their motivations are. It can set the mood of a scene, deliver information to the reader regarding events that occurred off the page, advance the plot. Done well, it is one of your best techniques for creating immersion for your readers.

But there are those two little words—done well. It’s no wonder that many agents and editors have gone on the record and said that dialogue is the first thing they look at when deciding if they want to represent an author or acquire a manuscript. Dialogue connects readers emotionally with the characters. While good dialogue can take a story to the next level, bad dialogue is like a spaghetti sauce stain on a white shirt; it’s painful, it’s obvious, and it ruins an otherwise great outfit. 

There are a lot of aspects that go into writing dialogue, from the mechanical to the creative. But the most important thing after making sure it’s strengthening your characters, delivering information, or moving the plot is that it reads well. Good dialogue is an imitation of how people speak in the real world. It’s everyday speech stripped of the umms, errs, likes, you knows, and boring small talk. In my experience, the quickest, most accurate way to ensure that your dialogue doesn’t sound like some kid haltingly presenting a book report in front of the class is this: read your dialogue aloud.

Hearing your dialogue, not just reading it silently, will pinpoint those areas where you need an action beat to provide a pause; where you should have a contraction (or take out a contraction to provide emphasis); where you’d think, “Dear God, shut UP!” if it were a real person talking; where you want to roll your eyes; laugh out loud. Basically, hearing your dialogue as opposed to just reading it helps you decide if it rings true. 

Another quick trick is to have your computer read your dialogue for you. That’s right—Microsoft Word has a text to speech function that you can add to your ribbon. It’s definitely not perfect (we’ve all heard the tinny computer voices and cringed) but it can help you put 100 percent of your concentration on how the dialogue sounds. Here’s a quick walk-through on how to set up that feature: MakeMicrosoft Office speak or read aloud - Office Watch (office-watch.com)

Alternatively, if you just cannot get past Microsoft James (or whichever voice you chose), you can do recordings of your own voice reading the dialogue. A great app for that is Loom.com, or you can just record yourself on your phone. 

Whichever method you choose, the important thing is to actually hear your dialogue, to listen to how it ebbs and flows and if, at the end of the day, it engages you and immerses you in the scene or if it’s awkward and off-putting. Dialogue will make up anywhere from 30 percent to 50 percent of your manuscript—you owe it to your readers and your story to make sure it’s pulling its weight. Dialogue is meant to be spoken, after all, and heard. It’s no surprise that listening to it is one thing that will help you ensure yours sparkles.

~*~*~*~*~


Freelance editor Anne Victory specializes in romance, urban fantasy, and cozy mysteries. Her boutique editing business, Victory Editing, offers a full range of services from developmental editing to Oops Detection®, formatting, and a NetGalley co-op for e-ARC distribution. She provides clients, many of whom are NYT and USA Today best sellers, with a full editing team while giving them the convenience of a single point of contact. And, finally, she’s the chief cook and bottle washer for her husband, a boisterous spaniel who loves to wear dresses, two cats, and two birds.

For more tips on writing and freelancing as well as classes and other resources, be sure to check out Victory Academy.


Authors, what questions do you have for Anne?
Where do you struggle most with dialogue?

 Grab this freebie too:
How to Tighten Your Dialogue in 3 Simple Steps | Victory Editing

18 comments:

  1. Welcome to Seekerville! The analogy of the spaghetti sauce stain on the shirt had me nodding along. It's perfect!

    I love the advice of reading dialogue aloud. I also read the narrative aloud, since I tend to find I have pet words I'm attached to and reuse far too often. My eye skims over them, but my ear picks them out quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a good point too, Erica - I can think of some books I've read lately (not anyone from Seekerville lol) that would have benefited from a pet words scan :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Anne:

    What I like to do is read the dialogue aloud as the character would speak…like a professional reader for audio books. Would that character really talk like that? Sound like that? Does this character sound unique like herself and not like everyone else -- especially the author?

    For me the most important aspect of dialogue is this: Is this what the character would actually be saying?

    It should not be just what the plot needs her to say. It should not be just what the author wants the character to say. It should be what the character would actually say in the given situation.

    I've read several books lately where the character did not ask the most relevant question that any reader would ask because the plot needed her to not bring up the obvious. This is very stilted dialogue. It lacks reality. It is too common on TV police dramas.

    What if the plot needs the character to say x,y and z? Then change the backstory so that the character would actually say what you want said. This may sound easy but I have found it very hard in fact to do when the plot depends on a misunderstanding.

    In short: talk like the character talks and have the character say what the character would really say. :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vince, I am 100% in agreement with you... if the obvious conversation ruins the plot, then the plot is weak.

      If the questions can't be asked at the right time, then the reader gets/feels cheated.

      Mary would BLOW SOMETHING UP to mess up that conversation....

      I would have someone die flat dead on the sidewalk to change the subject (only slightly kidding!!!!)

      Debby would have a baby disappear and that made those questions not time savvy....

      The obvious should never be obvious unless it's such a deep, dark secret of the plot that simply cannot be spoken of or referred to... like pedophilia and matricide. It is hard to get over killing one's MOTHER!!!!!

      Love you, Vince. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Anne, and welcome to Seekerville!

    My clue to take a break from writing is when my dialogue includes phrases like, "Well, see you tomorrow." Or, "I have to be going now." Or "Where do you want to go for lunch?"

    Also known as "boring small talk." Yup. When the dialogue starts dissolving, it's time for a walk and some caffeine!

    Thanks for the hint about listening to my dialogue. I often read a phrase or two out loud, but I haven't listened to the entire conversation. I'm just getting ready to jump into revisions of my latest book, and I'll use that technique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think it's such a great technique because as a reader I tend to read the dialogue 'aloud' in my brain which makes choppy or unnatural dialogue stand out to me more than maybe readers who don't do that. And I had to laugh at your 'boring small talk' - the examples you gave made me think that, in fact, your writing IS telling you to take a break (since they all involved going somewhere) hahaha

      Delete
  4. Dialogue is my favorite thing to write. Not always easy, but definitely the most fun. Writing screenplays has help immensely with making sure that dialogue in my stories is conversational, tight, and necessary. When the narrative is stripped down, does the dialogue make sense? That's the question I always ask myself. Thanks for the post, Anne--and Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh i love that insight about writing screenplays helping with dialogue in novels - thanks for sharing, Glynis :)

      Delete
  5. Great advice. Dialogue can really spice up a scene. I love dialogue, but then again, I like to talk so maybe that's why. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Thanks for the walk-through on how to set up Microsoft Word text to speech function. Will be trying that out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love dialogue and editors. I don't know where my career would be without savvy editors from multiple houses who've honed me into seeing more, feeling more and doing it with fewer words... and brighter tones.

    I'm so glad you're here today, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome, Anne. Interesting post. I like writing dialog, but it is easy to make it boring, so I try to make sure it moves the story forward. I often read out loud to hear what my writing really sounds like. I have the text read feature, but it sounds strange to me read by that voice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anne and Carrie! I use the computer Read Aloud function...not sure what mine is called, but it's saved me a number of times. And it picks up typos!

    Dialogue is always a challenge, IMHO, but it can make or break a story.

    Thanks for being with us, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne this is so interesting. Such a great outlook.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."