Wednesday, December 22, 2021

What Would You Put Under the Tree?

Merry Christmas, Seekerville.

This is the time of year when everyone starts making their "best of" lists for 2021. My daughter, the librarian, has compiled her staff's picks for their favorite books of the year, and that gave me an idea.




Some of us still have presents to buy, some of us will get gift cards for Christmas, and some of us are just always looking for any excuse to buy a book.

So, today I have a question for you.

If you were putting the presents under the tree, what books would you pick to gift? What were some of your favorite reads this year??



I'll get us started.

One book I loved this year was Patti Callahan's Once Upon a Wardrobe - I read The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe with my 6th grade class earlier this year, so I was fully ready to return to Narnia with Patti in this enchanting story.




The Mountains Wild by Sarah Stewart Taylor was another book I really enjoyed this year. It's a murder mystery set in Ireland and on Long Island. A little gritty, but I loved how it reminded me so much of the Ireland I visited several times back in the early 80s.  I enjoyed the sequel, A Distant Grave, even more, and I'm really looking forward to Book 3, The Drowning Sea, out this spring.




The third book I'll mention is All the Ways We Said Goodbye, a complex tale (or three tales) written by three separate authors, but the stories are completely entwined. Karen White, Beatriz Williams, and Lauren Willig weave their story through France in WWI, France in WWII, and France in 1964. I loved how everything tied all together in the end.



Please let us know, what book would you recommend to go under the tree?

11 comments:

  1. I really liked two books by Melissa Tagg. The first is Now and Then and Always and the second is Some Bright Someday. They were very good. Merry Christmas to you, Cate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion, Sandy. Melissa's books are great.

      Delete
  2. I loved The Secrets of Old Depot Grocery by Amanda Cox and A Flicker of Light by Katie Powner were two of my favorites. Merry Christmas 🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions, Lucy. Those are both new to me books.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely LOVED Erica Vetsch's novella, released last year in the collection Joy to the World. It's a novella about a secondary character in one of her Regency ... Serendipity and Secrets series. Just a wonderful, joyful little novella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's on my TBR list - I'll have to read it soon!

      Delete
    2. It's on my TBR pile too, Mary. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
  4. There have been so many good ones this year! Add those to my favorites from earlier years, and there will be no room for the tree. :-)

    But one that hasn't been mentioned is Lynn Austin's Chasing Shadows. I know a book is good when I keep thinking about it for months after I've read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I was thinking I needed a photo of one of those book trees. We could make it with all of the favorites!

      A book you keep thinking about for months is definitely a high recommendation.

      Delete
  5. Great selections, Cate! Patti Callahan and Karen White are GA authors and past members of GA Romance Writers! I love seeing their success. I also love their books.

    I'd add THE NIGHTENGALE by Kristin Hannah, which is my all-time favorite book...at least for now.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, I have had The Nightingale in my TBR pile for years. I always feel like it's the perfect book for a long winter read. I should move it to the top for January! Thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."