Wednesday, March 30, 2022

What’s It Take To Get It Right? by Dawn Ford

 By Dawn Ford

 Twelve years ago I sat down at my computer with one picture in my mind (insert twinkling music for a flashback here):

Tambrynn, a young servant girl, was sobbing in a carriage. Her telekinetic ability skewed out of control when threatened by an angry cook. Knives went flying. Moles were lost. Tambrynn was instantly dismissed. She carried her only belongings with her, packed in a cracked leather case, along with a ring that was to be her inheritance—a key to a kingdom she knew nothing about. And her world was about to turn completely upside down.  

The picture in my mind was so clear that three chapters were written before I knew it. And so started my journey into bringing The Girl With Stars In Her Eyes to fruition. But it didn’t happen right away. The year I started writing it I suffered three terrible events. Emotionally I was bereft. I couldn’t write. It took me over half of a year to start again where I ended: right smack in the middle.

I wrote that last half as I came out of my grief-laced haze. It wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t good. I moved on to write other things. A few years later I would go back and try again, knowing that I had lost my way. I tried again. It took me awhile to revise it while writing other books.

Friends told me to drop it, it was a lost cause. I couldn’t. I’d felt called that first day when that image came to me. It was as if God was placing this story in my lap and He wanted me to write it. How do you turn your back on that? If he started a good work in me, I knew he would fulfill it (Phil 1:6). I knew I had to keep trying. So, I worked on it. I had it edited so it could be sent into contests. And I kept writing other things.

But I kept coming back to it. In 2016 I sent it into the ACFW’s Genesis contest. I’d sent it in several times before and nothing ever came of it. So, I wasn’t overly concerned. Until that first call saying I was a finalist. That was a nice surprise. Second round. Again, thinking nothing of it, the caller said I’d become a round two finalist. What? Winners would be announced at that year’s conference. I hadn’t even planned on going to that year.

I’m glad I did. I won the Genesis contest which rekindled my hope in Tambrynn’s story. However, in the back of my mind I knew that though the first half was compelling, the last half still wasn’t right. So, I contacted an editor friend. She’d helped me with some small projects and we worked well together. I got things when she explained them. She was encouraging without sugar-coating. I trusted her. I sent her this manuscript for a content edit. Hopeful. Prayerful.



She dug out the guts and gave me some hard truths about what I needed to do to get it right. She told me to, “Think outside the box! Go beyond!” And so, I did. I reworked it and threw away the mold. It was hard. I wasn’t following the norm. I went where I’d never gone before. More fantasy. Some cool creatures. And magic.

It was last year when I finished that last revision. I love it now. It felt right. So, when I saw a request by a publisher I knew and trusted who was seeking fantasy novels to publish, I thought, why not? On a whim I sent it in, thinking maybe I’d get some advice about it—see if I was on the right track. The next day they contacted me back. The publisher loved it. She said she couldn’t stop reading it. Within the next couple of days, I’d been offered a three-book contract for this book and two more, making it a series.

What exactly did it take to get it right? All of it. Revising stinks. Waiting for something to happen is maddening. The doubt in between it all can be fatal if you allow it to root in. But I kept my eye on one truth, God would complete that good work He gave me. I just had to trust the process.


The Girl With Stars In Her Eyes
is now up for pre-order and on April 12, it comes out for the world to read. I’m so glad I didn’t give up.
Leave a comment to get your name in the drawing for a free ebook copy of The Girls with Stars in Her Eyes.

Here’s the back cover copy:

Eighteen-year-old servant girl Tambrynn is haunted by more than her unusual silver hair and the star-shaped pupils in her eyes. Her uncontrollable ability to call objects leads the wolves who savagely murdered her mother right to her door.

When she’s fired and outcast during a snowstorm, her carriage wrecks and she’s forced to find refuge in an abandoned cottage. There, her life is upended when the magpie who’s stalked her for ten years transforms into a man, Lucas. He’s her Watcher and they’re from a different kingdom. His job is to keep her safe from her father, an evil mage, who wants to steal her abilities, turn her into one of his undead beasts, and become immortal himself.

Can they make it to the magical passageway and get to their home kingdom in time for Tambrynn to thwart her father’s malicious plans? Or will Tambrynn’s unique magic doom them all?


Dawn Ford lives in a small town nestled among the Loess Hills in Western Iowa with her husband and Snickers, the Wonder Beagle. Dawn’s love for stories came naturally to her as a child who was lucky enough to be able to explore the Iowa pastures and countryside in search of adventure.

Dawn adores anything steampunk, is mesmerized by shiny, pretty things, purses, shoes, and needs at least one good, strong cup of coffee to wake up in the morning.

 

Follow Dawn on her website: https://dawnfordauthor.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DawnFordAuthor

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dawn_ford_author/

Preorder Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TY713B2 

22 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn!

    You got me at "Knives went flying. Moles were lost." Moles were lost? I have to read this book!

    Congratulations on your new release - it sounds like this book is the story from your heart. I'm so glad you persevered and finished it!

    You are so right that we need to trust the process. When God calls, He equips, and He doesn't let us down. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan! You'll be able to read the first three chapters on Schrivenings Press's website a couple of days before the release. You'll see what happened to the mole. It's pretty awesome. :D

      Delete
  2. What a journey of faithfulness and persistence you have shared. Knowing God was in it makes writing through the disappointments bearable, if not easier. Your book looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing with us. I feel inspired and encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Glynis! It really does help to know God is there in the process. He was who I was ultimately writing for. But, now I can share it with everyone else.

      Delete
  3. Dawn, this is fascinating. I have a fantasy that's been half-done for years and I've hesitated because it's not my usual... and yet, I think it's a great story. One of these days I'm going to finish it and get it out there because I love the premise... and it's fun to tiptoe into fantasy waters.

    Congratulations on this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth! I'd love to read a fantasy from you!

      Delete
  4. I just love how your mind works, Dawn. Such a fun fantasy and I LOVE the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Mary!! Your encouragement has helped me stick to the path so many times over the years. Friendship with the right people make all the difference. You made a difference and I thank you for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited for your and for the book! You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much, Brenda! The journey can be hard at times. I have some amazing friends in my corner, including you! I'm so grateful for all the support God sends me in the form of friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't express how much I love this story. I'm super excited that the world will get to read it in just a few short weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All thanks to you, Linda, and Scrivenings Press who are giving me the chance to fulfill what God has placed before me. I'm so thankful for this opportunity.

      Delete
  9. Dawn, I'm so incredibly proud of you and your writing journey! Even though fantasy is often a tough sell in Christian fiction, you've remained faithful to the story God placed on your heart no matter what was going on in your own life. As your friend, I've watched you agonize over every plot point and word to make this story the best it could possibly be. I cannont wait for readers to step into your story world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorna! It's all your fault. It has been a tough, tough journey. But, I've always loved the idea God gave me. He has been faithful throughout, even when it didn't look feel like it.

      Delete
  10. Congratulations, Dawn! I loved reading about your journey to publication. And your book sounds very intriguing. Yep, I totally agree that revising stinks. But when you finally get it right, it's all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mindy! YES!! Revisions that work are magic.

      Delete
  11. I love good news! Thanks for sharing your journey, Dawn. Congrats on the three-book contract! How fantastic!

    The book of your heart, right? How special that you brought it to completion and to sale! The world has been waiting...

    Thanks for being with us in Seekerville today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Debby! And it is the book of my heart. <3

      Delete
  12. I'm so happy for you, Dawn. You have worked so hard on this and deserve your success. Congratulations on the three book series, too! I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on getting it right. I enjoyed reading your journey.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."