Monday, April 18, 2022

A Story is Born


How well do you remember two years ago? Somewhere in the middle of March 2020 was one of those moments that change history...for better or for worse.

Now that we've had some time to digest what has happened over the past two years (and it hasn't always been pretty!) it's time to look back with some clear hindsight and realize how these months have changed our writing.

I know I'm not alone in this: The pandemic-that-shall-not-be-named* wasn't the only life-changing event that happened in 2020. Many of us had earth shaking happenings in our personal lives, too. Things that weren't related to the PTSNBN* threw us out of our groove, shut down our creativity, and either stopped us in our tracks or caused us to change directions.


For me it provided the excuse to take a complete change in direction. I needed something new. Something to jump-start my creativity and get me excited about writing again.

But where should I start? 

The first thing was to decide on a genre. I love historical romance, but I had been down that road. I needed something new.

I looked at my Goodreads list - what books had I been reading? Which ones had I enjoyed the most? I realized that I love cozy mysteries - not exclusively - but I love reading them. 



So the next step? I decided to try writing one. And a story was born.



The first question - the genre - was already decided. 

The setting? Easy. I looked out my office window and knew the Black Hills was perfect.


The characters? It didn't take long for me to have my cast. In a mystery you need a sleuth, a sidekick, a lawman/woman, an interesting antagonist, and the all important bad guy. I also added in a mentor and a couple pets who are too smart for their own good.

Emma Blackwood (the sleuth) is an unemployed hotel manager who comes to the Black Hills to work in her aunt's upscale bed and breakfast, the Sweetbrier Inn.

Shutterfly

Emma is smart, capable, and just a little bit OCD.

Becky Graves, her sidekick, is a fabulous baker and is related to just about everyone who lives in the small town of Paragon. Part Lakota and part Irish, she claims her ethnic background is a blend of the best the world has to offer.

I gave Emma a fun antagonist, too. Wil Scott is Rose's business partner and the chef at the Sweetbrier Inn. He and Emma get along like a couple of siblings who can't put their rivalries aside, but Emma says his cooking is to die for. Her favorite breakfast is Wil's Crème Brulée French Toast.

The lawman in the story is County Deputy Sheriff Cal Cooper. He also happens to be Becky's cousin (didn't I tell you everyone in Paragon is related?) Cal is a no-nonsense guy who reluctantly lets Emma work the case with him.

Emma's mentor is her Aunt Rose. Rose has a mysterious past that keeps Emma guessing. Her warm personality sets the tone for the inn. From the early morning breakfasts to the daily afternoon teas, the inn is Rose's baby. 

The pets are Rose's corgi, Thatcher, and Emma's young black cat named Tim. Don't worry - they get along with each other just fine.


The setting of the Sweetbrier Inn is perfect for a cozy mystery because the cast of characters keeps changing for each book in the series. I have one set of guests for the first book and a completely different set for the second. New characters = new suspects.

Shutterfly

Wait - did I forget to mention the bad guy? Sorry. No spoilers here. He/she/they will remain a mystery until the end of the book!


With the changes in my writing, I was basically giving my career a makeover. I've developed a new brand, a new logo, and am working on a new website. 

Another big change is that these new books will be indie published, so I created my own publishing company - Swift Wings Press - with its own completely unnecessary but fun logo.


The last thing - after selecting an editor (thank you Beth Jamison!) cover artist (thank you Hannah Linder!) formatting, etc. etc. (all the details of indie publishing) - was to select titles.

I always have a hard time coming up with titles. Then I remembered some of my favorite mysteries, and I was on my way.

"The Sign of the Calico Quartz" is the first book in the Sweetbrier Inn Series. I've set the publication date for May 25, 2022. 

The next book is "The Case of the Artist's Mistake," which will be coming out late summer 2022.

The third book is still in the works, but be assured Emma, Becky, Cal, and the rest of the gang will catch the bad guy in that one, too.


How did the past two years affect your writing? Did it feel like you ran into a brick wall or did you feel like you had new ideas and energy?

And if you're still struggling to make some sense of what you're supposed to be doing with your writing through all of this, let us know so we can pray you through the slump. One thing I do know - you are not alone!!!



21 comments:

  1. Jan, good for you for taking on a new genre AND indie-publishing. You're my hero, at least for today.
    I didn't switch genres, but I've been trying a new period in historical romance: The Revolution, rather than the Oregon Trail and Western settlement. It hasn't gone great, and I'm thinking of going back to the West, at least for a couple more books. There are some characters in my first three Westerns that just won't leave me alone. Maybe they need their own books. SO I'm undecided whether to bulldoze my way through the last of the Revolution or put it aside and come "home" to the period I know best.
    What surprised me about the past two years isn't pandemic-related, but it's genre-related: I fell in love with nonfiction, which surprised me. I really got into my War Monuments of NH book, out Aug. 8, and found there is a whole different way of story-telling. I was a journalist all my life and looked at nonfiction as just a job, I wanted to escape to fiction, but I've found that they both have their places.
    Off to Bible study, may be back later.
    Kathy Bailey
    Your Kaybee
    Keeping options open in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm humbled to be your hero of the day!

      With your background in journalism, I'm not surprised that you gravitate toward non-fiction - but with a narrative twist. Telling a non-fiction story can be just as satisfying as telling a fictional one!

      And it sounds like maybe you aren't done with the Western settlement stories if you have more ideas waiting to be given their own books. On the other hand, I remember you saying how much fun you had researching the Revolution era. It's a quandary! I'll be praying for your direction as you write!

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited to read these b books, Jan, and I'm proud of you for embracing a tough season and taking on something brand new! After our conversation this weekend I'm really going to spend some time in prayer and look at how I can get excited about writing again. It made my day last night when my son read a short piece of mine and immediately sent it to a friend he thought would like it. That was a nice piece of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glynis!

      Yes, after our conversation I realized I needed to explore the concept of writing through hard times again - and the blog post was born.

      And kudos for your son recognizing your writing gifts! It's always good to get confirmation from those we love, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, Jan. I'm so proud of you--and maybe a little envious--for taking this brave step out of your comfort zone. Your attention to detail is to be admired.

    I'd say the past two years improved my writing. It was an escape from the chaos of the outside world. At least I could control my characters. But it also helped me grow as a writer, so it just goes to show you that there's always good with the bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mindy!

      This step (or leap) outside my comfort zone is accompanied by a TON of trepidation - but where God leads, we follow. I cover every step with prayer...

      You hit on a key thing, I think, when you said, "It was an escape from the chaos of the outside world. At least I could control my characters."

      That escape - hunkering down in our story worlds was good for our mental health, I think. I know I derived great satisfaction from making sure my sleuth tracked down the bad guy and conquered him/her/them. Control over chaos.

      And congratulations for being able to write through the chaos! Not all of us were able to do that!

      Delete
  4. Jan, I loved reading about your change in writerly direction. This series sounds super fun. :) The past couple of years have been filled with a lot of transition. Once I got through the shock of shutdowns and having teenage boys home 24/7, I was able to find a new writing groove. I completed and submitted a women's fiction story to an agent, who passed with a kind note. I decided to try my hand at writing a short novel, and I discovered that was really fun! I submitted that to a different agent, who said yes (yes, I'm still happy dancing), and I am working on developing a trilogy of three stories that can be a series or a standalone. It's been a tough couple years for our family, but God has brought us through and continues to teach us about His love and grace in each aspect of our lies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the news about your agent on Facebook!!! I'm happy-dancing right along with you!

      It sounds like you found the same solution I did with your writing - you went in a different direction. Sometimes all we need is a fresh story to work on. :-)

      And congratulations on persevering through guiding teenage boys through the last couple years. That is never an easy road, even without a PTSNBN.

      Delete
  5. What a positive retrospection, Jan! I love it! And your cozy mysteries sound so interesting. I can't wait to read them.

    The past two years have been God's open door in my writing life. Before that, I had a hard time not feeling guilty about whatever time and attention I gave to writing. I never got much done because writing came last on the to-do list. Then the PTSNBN deleted almost all my other to-do's. I got in the habit of writing more. I rearranged my space to be more conducive to writing. I prayed hard about it and realized that God not only didn't object, but had deliberately fully equipped me to be a writer. I spoke with my family and finally accepted that I had their full support and encouragement to write as much as I wanted. And now there is no going back!

    I worked on a couple of stories over the last two years and sent one in for the 2022 Love Inspired Author Search. I got the feedback on Friday. Although they say there is lots to like about my writing, they chose not to pursue my story. I had a moment of sadness, but my mind was already working on the next story. God is giving me a clearer picture of what He wants me to do, and I'm excited about the direction I'm taking. Before the PTSNBN, I was a dabbler. Now, though I'm not yet a published author, I am a committed writer. Thank you, Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Terri!

      You had the right response to the Author Search pass - lick your wounds and move on. And chocolate. Don't forget the chocolate. We'll be cheering you on through the next story!

      Be sure to focus on these words: "they say there is lots to like about my writing." That should fuel your determination for the next go-round!

      I remember going through that process of changing my perspective on my writing that you mentioned. At first it felt like a foray into a world that shut the rest of my life out. But getting encouragement from my family was gold! Suddenly, I wasn't the only one who saw the time spent writing as important.

      Keep on keeping on, Terri! I know many of us here can attest to the joys of persevering through those pre-published years!

      Delete
  6. Wow, Jan this just sounds so great. Did I miss a link? Is it available for preorder? Love it ALL the chef, the sidekick. The mysterious Rose, the pets. Your heroine is gonna be FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No preorder yet, but soon!

      I can't wait to share this story with everyone. :-)

      Delete
  7. Jan, congrats on going in a new direction and working so hard to get your book ready for publication. How exciting!

    I didn't write at the onset of COVID. My focus was on ensuring my family was okay, researching as much info as I could about the pandemic and then sharing what I had learned with friends and loved ones. Eventually, I was able to get back into the writing groove. When I look back over that time, I thank God it's behind us. I don't like wearing marks and being confined to my home. I hated that churches were closed, and I pray we never make that mistake again. I love being with other people so no more sheltering in place for me! :)

    The first book in your new series sounds delightful! Can't wait to learn more about the folks in Paragon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on the whole Covid nightmare. Closing churches was one of the biggest mistakes we could make, IMHO.

      And I'm excited about the Sweetbrier Inn series! I'm in the final round of proof-reading today, and I'm still enjoying the story. Usually by this time in the process, I'm ready to put the current story behind me and move on, but I just enjoy these characters too much!

      Delete
  8. Jan, I can't wait to read this series. Glad it releases soon. I love cozy mysteries and this sounds really interesting. Plus, I like reading stories set in familiar places, and I love the Black Hills. I am still struggling to make headway on my novel. I would appreciate prayers for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Continuing to pray, Sandy! It's so hard to make progress sometimes, isn't it?

      Delete
  9. I am so proud of you for doing this! And I was excited to be a part of it. I can't wait to see what else you have up your sleave, Jan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, you are only one of two people so far who have read this book! Like I tell my husband - remember! No spoilers!!!

      And thank you for your great editing. :-)

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on pivoting in your career! It's so fun to see you branching out, and I absolutely love that Thatcher is a character in your stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when you made a similar pivot in your career, Erica!

      And yes, Thatcher lives on!

      Delete
  11. Congratulations Jan, I look forward to reading your pivot novels!

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."