Friday, April 22, 2022

A Throwback to a Platinum Post!

 Erica here: Today I'm throwing it back...way back...to 2008, and a post that appeared here on Seekerville that revolutionized my system for plotting a book. In all honesty, it changed the way I wrote. For the first time in my life, I had a contract to fulfill, and while the first book in the series was written, the next two were not, and I had no clue how to plot a novel. I was a pure seat-of-the-pants writer!

But for my contract, I had to supply a chapter-by-chapter synopsis for approval, and though I had tried several of the popular 'plotting methods' that were around at the time, none worked for me! I was afraid I was going to have to write the entire book in a big fat hurry just to find out what it was about.

Enter Seekerville. In September of 2008, Seekerville hosted Pam McCutcheon as a guest blogger, and she shared about the Portable Plotting Board. Everything she said absolutely clicked with me, and I have used this method in some form or other for every one of the forty novels and novellas I have written since!

Here's a picture of one of my early plot boards.
Sorry for the rubbish lighting!



From the Seekerville Archives, September 26, 2008

Thanks to Pam McCutcheon ( and the Pikes Peak Romance Writers ) for being in Seekerville today to share the Portable Plotting Board. 


I have to admit the idea for a plotting board wasn't original to me. I saw a couple of different versions of one at different conferences.  Since my critique group meets periodically to brainstorm new ideas, I modified it for our use and added an area for characterization. Since it's difficult to develop plots and characters independently, this allows you to work back and forth between them when brainstorming a story.

Plotting Section: In this area, there are squares numbered from 1 to 20, each representing a chapter. If you plan to have fewer chapters, then ignore the higher numbered squares.  If you plan on having more chapters, well...use an additional surface or the back of the board.

You will need several different colored sticky notes (small enough to fit 2-4 in one square) and a pen or marker.   Each note color will represent something different in your book.   In the photo example, we used the following colors: (Erica Here: We no longer have access to Pam's original photograph, but from the picture above, you can get the gist.)

Rose: Heroine's characterization and/or scenes
Blue: Hero's characterization and/or scenes
Lavender: Villain's characterization and/or scenes
Peach: A scene showing the development of the romance
Hot Pink: Major plot points and turning points
Bright Green: Subplot points/scenes
Light Green: Suspense plot points/scenes

These are just examples.  You could use different colors to track different things according to your needs.  For example, you might want to track clues and red herrings, or your historical events timeline, or character growth, or to make sure you have enough action scenes.  The purpose of using a variety of colors is so that you can easily see where you're missing something.

For example, if there isn't enough blue, you might need more scenes from your hero's point of view.  Or you may realize that you forgot to set up the subplot in the first part of the book, that you need to add in the villain's point of view, that you have too many scenes in one character's point of view and not from another, etc.  And the advantage of using sticky notes is that it's easy to move them from one chapter to another if necessary.

The notes in the example were placed randomly--we're not saying this is where they need to go.  The actual structure of the novel is, of course, up to you.

Character Section:  This is based on Debra Dixon's marvelous book, Goal, Motivation and Conflict, from Gryphon Books for Writers.  In case you haven't read it, this is based on the realization that all major characters need goals, motivation, and conflict (GMC) in order to be well-rounded.  At its simplest, the goal is what the character wants, the motivation is why she wants it, and the conflict is what's keeping her from achieving it.

Brainstorming:  You can brainstorm on your own, with your critique group/partner, or in a larger group such as a chapter.  I've done it at workshops and chapter meetings, and it seems to work well, so long as everyone knows the one rule of brainstorming: the author has the final say on what goes into her book.  In my critique group, we work back and forth between the plotting section and the character section to make sure we have everything covered.  Once the author feels she has enough to go off and work on her own, we stop.

 I find we usually have 3 to 4 sticky notes per chapter. You may have more or fewer, depending on what you're tracking.  And if you use smaller notes, you can obviously get more on the board.

After It's Filled In:  So, once you have all of the sticky notes on the board and you're happy with the plot and characters, what do you do then?  You can use the notes to write a detailed working synopsis, if you choose.  Or, you can prop the board up next to your computer each time you write so you're reminded what needs to go into that chapter.

Another option (especially if you need the board to brainstorm another story for someone else), is to take the notes off the board and place them on paper in a notebook.  I use separate pages for the hero's GMC, the heroine's GMC, and each chapter.  Then, if I get more ideas, I can write them directly on the page and take it with me to work on it.  One of my critique group members transfers the information to a Word or Excel document, using tables to set up the chapters (four cells per chapter), then coloring each cell the appropriate color.   Again, do what works for you.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pam McCutcheon is the author of romantic comedies, paranormal romances, fantasy short stories (under the name Pamela Luzier), and how-to books for writers, including the popular Writing the Fiction Synopsis.  Her latest foray is into Young Adult urban fantasy, and her next book, Bite Me, comes out from Bell Bridge Books in October 2008 under the name Parker Blue. You can read more about her at http://www.pammc.com.

Pikes Peak Romance Writers is a chapter of Romance Writers of America, serving romance writers in the Pikes Peak region around Colorado SpringsCO. It has been in existence since 1991. For more info, visit http://www.pprw.org.

Honestly, I can't tell you how many times, especially in those early days, I felt as if I was attending a 5 Workshop Writer's Conference every week by reading Seekerville blog posts. If I had a question about how to do something, Seekerville had the answer! I encourage you to peruse the Seekerville Archives by clicking the button in the masthead above labeled Seekerville Archives. You'll find more than you could ever need.

Also, if you have searched the archives and can't find an answer to your question, be sure to post your question/need in the comments. We're always looking for blog topics that will resonate with readers, and if we can help you out at the same time, win-win!


7 comments:

  1. I learned this from you, Erica, at the Wordsower's Conference in Omaha and I won the board and supplies from you. I have used it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I love that the idea lives on! It was so nice to meet you in Omaha all those years ago! :)

      Delete
    2. It was and then it was nice to see you again at the retreat in Minnesota last summer. I love when I can see my Seekerville friends in person.

      Delete
  2. I've seen you use this method - and it certainly works!

    I use a variation - my plotting board is where I post my outline (the major plot points,) the secondary characters (name and description,) and any other information I need to refer to often. For my current series, I have a map of my town and the townspeople in order of where their places of business are. I need to have visuals of those things.

    But for my chapter-by-chapter, scene-by-scene plotting, I use a spiral notebook (a technique borrowed from Agatha Christie.) Believe me, I stock up on those cheap spiral notebooks during back to school sales in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stock up on notebooks then, too, Jan. I use them for just about everything.

      Delete
  3. I remember seeing this post way back then from Pam, Erica! It's a great tool and I like Jan's ideas abt keeping up with characters, the setting, etc. I always stock up on supplies during back to school days. I'm a very visual person so to look at my board and see it a there is good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to try this. It just looks so inspiring, all color-coded and beautiful. And maybe the inspiration will make me actually sit down and do the work to write the book LOL!

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."