Monday, April 25, 2022

Talk to Real People? Me? 5 Tips for Making Your Speaking Engagement a Success

Erica here with you today. Last night, I was the guest speaker at the ACFW MN NICE chapter. I've spoken to this group (It's MY local ACFW Group after all) several times. I've spoken at writer retreats, writing conferences, book promotion events, and book clubs.

And every time I say, "Sure, I'd love to!" when someone asks, I almost immediately think...WHY? WHY DID YOU SAY YES?

But most of the time, after I'm done with my workshop or talk, I am glad I said yes. It's the windup that gets me wound up, if you know what I mean.

Authors aren't always natural presenters or speakers, though, if we have time to edit what we want to say, we can come across as pretty smart. :)

If you find yourself in a similar situation, having agreed to talk to a group of readers or fellow writers, here are a few tips I've found that help me prepare.



1. Get all the details.

Find out who you are speaking to, so you can know how to gear your talk. Is it newbie writers? Experienced writers? Readers? Is this a teaching opportunity, or more of a conversational talk? Find out how long you're expected to hold everyone's attention. Find out if they have audio-visual equipment available. Also, make sure you have the contact information of your point person. Make certain you know the time and the location. Ask for a rough head-count, esp. if you're bringing swag or handouts. Also, get clear information about whether you'll be compensated, paid for gasoline, or if you're doing this out of the goodness of your generous heart.

2. Prepare visuals.

If they have a projector you can hook up to and a blank wall or screen, great! Prepare some photographs, slides, or other visual aids. This will help keep the audience interested and you on track. If there is no provision for projecting images, bring object lessons. I do a workshop on how to make a plot board, and I bring along a kit for making a plot board, using the bits as examples as I go along, and in the end, someone in the audience wins the kit. Folks seem to enjoy when you bring something other than yourself to look at. :)




3. Dress comfortably.

Not in sweats and a t-shirt! (Don't I wish!) but something in which you feel confident, and that you've tried and tested. Have your husband, wife, kid, significant other, take your photograph in your outfit, so you can judge how it looks. If all else fails, a pair of black slacks, a colorful shirt, and a black jacket always work. If you're like me, and necklaces drive you bonkers, don't wear one. Find comfortable shoes, because the last thing you want to have to think about is your aching piggies while you're trying to sound intelligent.

4. Leave room for a Q&A

I love this portion of any talk I give. Audiences are inquisitive and creative, and if you're talk is a bit short for the time allotted, you can stretch a question/answer time out. If no one has a question, then you ask a few of your own. That can get the ball rolling. 

5. Practice your talk.

Practice your talk, out loud, with your notes and slides or visuals. Write notes on your notes to remind you to slow down, to take a breath instead of saying 'um.' Practice using your PowerPoint in presentation mode. Write yourself some notes about how you're going to open the talk, and how you plan to close it. Just practice. The more times you go through it, the smoother it will be when it's time to unveil it before people.




BONUS TIP: Remember to say thank you to the audience, the organizers, whoever invited you to speak. It's nice manners.


Question for you: What do you like in a speaker? What do you like and dislike about public speaking?



Jane Austen meets Sherlock Holmes in this new Regency mystery series

Newly returned from finishing school, Lady Juliette Thorndike is ready to debut in London society. Due to her years away, she hasn't spent much time with her parents, and sees them only as the flighty, dilettante couple the other nobles love. But when they disappear, she discovers she never really knew them at all. They've been living double lives as government spies--and they're only the latest in a long history of espionage that is the family's legacy.

Now Lady Juliette is determined to continue their work. Mentored by her uncle, she plunges into the dangerous world of spy craft. From the glittering ballrooms of London to the fox hunts, regattas, and soirees of country high society, she must chase down hidden clues, solve the mysterious code her parents left behind, and stay out of danger. All the while, she has to keep her endeavors a secret from her best friend and her suitors--not to mention nosy, irritatingly handsome Bow Street runner Daniel Swann, who suspects her of a daring theft.

Can Lady Juliette outwit her enemies and complete her parents' last mission? Or will it lead her to a terrible end?


The Debutante's Code is now out in the world! You can get your copy HERE: https://amzn.to/3GQnoZt Or wherever you buy your fiction! 



Best-selling, award-winning author Erica Vetsch loves Jesus, history, romance, and sports. She’s a transplanted Kansan now living in Minnesota, and she is married to her total opposite and soul mate! When she’s not writing fiction, she’s planning her next trip to a history museum and cheering on her Kansas Jayhawks and New Zealand All Blacks. You can connect with her at her website, www.ericavetsch.com where you can read about her books and sign up for her newsletter, and you can find her online at https://www.facebook.com/EricaVetschAuthor/ where she spends way too much time!



 

34 comments:

  1. I want to win the plot board! Where are you speaking next?
    Seriously, public speaking is about as hard as it gets for me. I'm basically shy, though the shyness has been tamped down due to various roles in my lifet9me -- pastor's wife, news reporter. I agree with you about practicing the piece, for as long as it takes to get it smooth. I also agree about the outfits. Business casual NEVER fails.
    I try to do something interactive. For my Oregon Trail presentations, I have a game where we put a covered wagon together on a magnet board -- but we're blindfolded. Shows how much they paid attention. And for my upcoming War Monuments book I also have a magnet board with photos of some of my best war monuments, and the player has to match the name and description to the monument. They are not blindfolded for that one.
    Most of all, relax and enjoy yourself. These are your READERS, or could be.
    Oh, and I always pray first.
    Working today, so will probably see you Wednesday.
    Kathy Bailey
    Your Kaybee
    Speaking freely in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did win the plot board from Erica in a conference a few years ago. It was a great prize!

      Delete
    2. Wow, Kathy, this is so interesting. The assemble a covered wagon game? I love this. It's so much more interactive than I ever get.

      Delete
    3. Hi, Kathy! So sorry I'm late to the game today, I'm deep in plotting mode with my daughter on a new mystery! I love your War Monuments Game!

      Delete
  2. I spoke to a group of AP high school students a few years ago. Talk about nerve wracking! My first session was a disaster but by the third class period I was starting to enjoy myself. I have no idea if the kids got anything out of it but they were polite and respectful and it turned out to be fun. Great tips, Erika!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glynis, wow, you're an AP speaker? Cool. I love the idea but I feel my nerves starting to crack just THINKING about public speaking

      Delete
    2. Yikes! AP students are sharp! I would be nervous too! I'm glad you got to feeling easier about it by round three! :)

      Delete
    3. That was totally a one time deal lol! I can't see myself doing it again!

      Delete
  3. I've had a couple speaking engagements. My favorite was a talk about the Amish and their westward migration from Pennsylvania through Ohio to Indiana. One of my audiences was at the retirement community where my dad lives - most of them were descendants of the people who had made that migration. Yes, they were very interested in the topic!

    It's amazing how our research makes us experts in our field, especially with historical books. And, of course, anything about writing!

    One tip I would add - if you're going to use a laser pointer, make sure you have a backup.

    Great post, Erica! Maybe this year people will start having events like this again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a reference to Nebraska Amish. I could never pin it down though. Where were there. Are they still here? I know of no Amish community in Nebraska but a Mennenite one, did the Amish fade away to Mennenite?

      Delete
    2. Are you ready for a short history lesson?

      The "Nebraska Amish" was a small splinter group of Amish that was formed in the late 1800's by a Yoder that had lived in Nebraska for a time - hence the name. They are mostly in Pennsylvania.

      On the other hand, there are Amish settlements in Nebraska - I think in Antelope County and Pawnee County. At least one of them was formed in 2005 by Amish from Wisconsin.

      And now my head is spinning. But did you know there are Amish settlements in almost every state? I know.

      And the Amish and Mennonites have the same roots from the 1600's, but are different groups.

      Delete
    3. It's always best to speak on a topic you are passionate about/well versed in. It makes it so much easier when you're first starting out!

      Delete
    4. Jan, wow. So if I drove to Antelope County I could maybe get behind a horse and buggy on the road? Cool.

      Delete
    5. I think I knew there are some Amish in Nebraska. Haven't seen any, though.

      Delete
  4. Great tips. Some of these might be useful in my substitute teaching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I used to be a sunday school teacher. That's public speaking right? That never made me nervous. Sure they were six year olds, but still.

      Delete
    2. God bless you for being a substitute teacher. One of the hardest jobs ever!

      Delete
    3. Mary, I taught pre-school kids in Sunday School for several years. That isn't easy, either.

      Delete
  5. Erica, you have no idea how much I needed this post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think it helps, Mindy? I figured Erica just posted it to scare us all to death!!!

      Delete
    2. LOL! Mary! You are a fantastic public speaker! Mindy, I'm glad it was timely! :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks, Erica! Great post!

    I like to arrive early and "work" the room. I mingle with those attending, introduce myself and chat for a minute or two with each of them. By the time, I move to the podium I feel like I'm giving my presentation to a group of friends.

    And for those who get really nervous, tell the folks you meet ahead of time that you have a few jitters. They'll be cheering for you as you speak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do some version of this, Debby. I go around the room, sort of Greeting people as they come in with a book mark or whatever promo item I have on time. The last speech I gave they sort of all flooded in together and i handed things out but didnt' really get a good chance to visit with many of them.

      Delete
    2. This is such good advice, Debby. Getting a bit of a personal touch helps when it comes time to speak, you feel like you know people a bit and are amongst friends.

      Delete
  7. I usually find reader groups are so KIND, Its sort of like giving the speech to my mom. I'm going to succeed but, have no idea if what I did was legit. Becasue no matter what I do for my mom it's all, "Oh, you're so good! I don't know how you do it."
    Heaven knows I can't get a serious critique. But then, if I did, I'd be all hurt and whimpery, I suppose.
    No winners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writers are usually kind, too! Last night, they were very very nice!

      Delete
  8. Erica, truth girl, did you post this just to make my blood pressure go up?
    Everything is all about me, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much good information here! I have only had to speak at a few engagements, but as a teacher, I have to do this every day. It's different talking in front of kids, though. Speaking in front of adults intimidates me, but I am trying to do it more. Thanks for the information!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana, I appreciate you teaching kids! I am much better with adults or teens1

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the great information. Over the years, I have become more comfortable speaking in front of crowds. Adult Service Librarian was added to my job description in 2005, and one of my duties was to provide programming to Senior Citizens and the Nursing Home. For many years I also shared a short devotion for the children of our church, and this was in front of the whole congregation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's not easy to stand in front of the crowd and do a prepped talk.... there's something intimidating about the expectation. Now if it's just chatting, it's amazing how comfortable I feel. But even though I've talked in front of a lot of groups, that last minute EEK is always there. So funny.... Erica, thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."