Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Inspirational Travel to Prime the Writing Well



 By Debby Giusti

Growing up as an Army brat and then an Army wife, my family and I delineated the passage of time according to where we had been stationed. We’d say something like, “Such and such happened when we lived at Fort Irwin or before we moved to Germany or after our assignment to the Army War College.”

Similarly, when the children were in school we would reference time by their various school terms, recalling events that happened before Mary started middle school or following Liz’s graduation from high school or when Joseph started college.

After my husband retired and the children were grown, the days passed one after another without much variation except for additional candles on our birthday cakes.         

In 2020, the pandemic ushered in a new way to mark time! From March on of that year, everything became either Pre-COVID or Post-COVID.            

Pre-COVID, my husband and I took yearly trips to Europe and frequent excursions within the United States to destinations that fueled my imagination and helped my creative muse to flow. After the country shut down, going to church and the grocery stores were my major outings. A family vacation to the beach in 2021 made us feel extremely adventurous.            

In the last few months, more COVID restrictions have lifted, and there’s a renewed sense of getting back to our Pre-COVID routines. For my husband and me, that meant taking a trip with our local church group.   


         

Three weeks ago, we boarded a chartered bus and headed to Blue Ridge, Georgia, where we stepped back in time for a 26-mile ride on the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway Train. The friendly conductor punched our tickets as we settled into Car 549 that first transported passengers in the 1930s. Today it’s part of the historic rail line that took us along the Toccoa River to the mountain towns of McCaysville, Georgia, and the sister city of Copperhill, located across the state line in Tennessee.           

The original tracks were laid in the 1880s, and in the early days, the railway helped the mining and timber industries, encouraged the growth of towns and connected folks living along the Toccoa River by providing mail deliveries and supplies. Telegraph poles can still be seen next to the tracks and conjure up stories about life for rural Georgians before the turn of the twentieth century. The last passenger train was retired in 1951, but the line was resurrected in 1998 by a group of Blue Ridge citizens who understood the draw an old-time railroad line would have and the boon it would be to local commerce in that part of Georgia. Pre-COVID, more than 78,000 passengers traveled on the scenic line each year.

Can you spot the T-shaped telegraph pole?

We enjoyed our excursion as the train chugged along at fifteen miles per hour through the idyllic countryside, rolling hills, and lush valleys where we basked in the beauty of Georgia. The weather was perfect, and we spent most of the trip in an open-air car, breathing in the mountain freshness and feasting on the bucolic scenery.

The train’s plaintive whistle echoed through the hills alerting folks of its approach whenever we passed homes—some expansive and modern, others small and cozy. In true neighborly fashion, folks stopped what they were doing and waved as we passed. The Toccoa River is known for trout fishing, and we spotted a number of anglers in their waders casting their reels in the fast-flowing waters. Although intent on their sport, even they nodded a greeting as they waited for a nibble on their lines.     


      

 The Blue Ridge Scenic Railway runs five days a week transporting four hundred passengers on each trip to McCaysville and Copperhill, the two towns along the Georgia-Tennessee state line, for a lunch and shopping stop. The friendly townspeople, restaurateurs and shop owners welcomed us with open arms. We ate at a delightful riverfront eatery where we soaked in the peaceful ambiance before we hurried back to our train when the whistle alerted us it was time to board for our return to Blue Ridge.            

The day made me realize how I missed the trips and excursions we took Pre-COVID. Sightseeing, learning historical facts and enjoying the food and culture of new areas stimulates this writer. The sights and sounds refresh my spirit and help me conjure up new plot points to weave into my work in progress. They fuel ideas for future stories as well.


            

International travel is exciting, but I’ll wait until I don’t have to take COVID tests, wear masks or worry about being quarantined in a foreign country. Longer trips within the US will be in our not-too-distant future, but until then, short trips provide refreshing, uplifting breaks in the daily routine to charge my creative batteries and provide fodder for my stories.           

Are there local trips you plan to take or have on your short-term bucket list? Do occasional escapes to nearby parks or gardens provide a much-needed break to fill your creative well? Perhaps you’re an armchair traveler who finds inspiration either through travel books or historical publications? Share the changes in your daily routine from Pre- to Post-COVID and how you’ve been able to prime your creative well during this time.

I’m giving away two copies of my June reissue MILITARY PROTECTOR, that includes two of my earlier stories, The Officer’s Secret and The Soldier’s Sister. Let me know if you’d like to be included in the drawing. 

Happy traveling, dear friends! Toot! Toot!

Wishing you abundant blessings!

Debby Giusti

www.DebbyGiusti.com


MILITARY PROTECTORS

The Officer’s Secret

In the middle of the night, Maggie Bennett finds her army officer sister dead in her military housing. But as US Army criminal investigations agent Nate Patterson begins asking questions, Maggie can’t tell the handsome man everything she knows. Except that her sister was definitely murdered—for a secret Maggie can’t share. Then she walks into the killer’s trap and has to trust Nate with the truth…and her heart.

The Soldier’s Sister

Someone wants Stephanie Upton dead. Fearing for her life, Stephanie turns to Special Agent Brody Goodman for help. But can she trust him when he’s convinced her own brother is a prime suspect? Torn between her devotion to her brother and the agent she may be falling for, Stephanie doesn’t know who or what to believe. But soon she’ll have to choose sides to stay alive…

Pre-Order NOW!


41 comments:

  1. Oh, now I want to take that train ride. Debby, what a marvelous day trip and how cool!!! I want to take a river cruise... I want to see New Orleans and San Antonio. I think we should do a retreat there someday, but maybe I'll drag Farmer Dave away from the snow next winter and we'll visit the deep south before farm season. And I want to spend a few days/week in Amish country for a little research.... Well, actually, I probably just want to buy a quilt to say I have one... SIGH... isn't that funny? Whenever I see one I remind myself that there are people in harm's way, in jeopardy, sick and starving and I sit on my hands and don't buy it because I have nice blankets!!!! I have nice coverings... But I would still love to visit there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I want to visit your farm, Ruthy! :) I have a number of quilts--a special one that my great-great-great grandmother made when Indians were circling around her cabin and causing her upset! Not Amish, but special to me.

      Delete
  2. We were just talking about this the other night with my dad, who was in the Air Force, and he was lamenting how hard it is to returner when things happen because we've now lived in one place for 30 years! Hubby and I hope to start to travel a little more now that our kids are almost grown. We've been wanting to do a road trip from New Orleans along the Gulf to Savannah as well as a tour of New England. And I agree that I'm staying stateside for the foreseeable future! What a fun trip you took. Thanks for taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, God bless your dad! Thank him for his service to our country. Yes, those tours of duty were wonderful ways to mark time. Now that we've stayed put, it's harder to remember when things happened.

      Extend your Gulf trip to Charleston, which is one of my favorite cities. I lived in New England as a young child and would love to go back there, especially in the fall.

      Delete
    2. I'd love to see Charleston too!

      Delete
  3. Travel! We haven't changed our travel habits because of Covid since we always drive rather than fly. We still try to visit our parents a couple times a year, which means a trip east to Michigan and Indiana, and it does influence my story ideas. The last two trips we've driven through Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and that's fueled a story idea for a time-jump historical mystery along the shore of Lake Superior. It's almost time to start the research for that story.

    And we also have a local train from the 1880's! It runs from Keystone to Hill City and back along the original narrow gauge tracks laid out in the mining days. It would be fun to compare the two trips.

    Thanks for taking us along on your train ride, Debby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, you just came back from a mega-trip. Good for you. We used to drive cross country. My parents retired to Florida and my husband's folks lived in Marin County, just across the bridge from San Fran. Our vacations were always trips home--from coast to coast.

      I would love to see Michigan's Upper Peninsula! Enjoy your research on that next story.

      Also, your train sounds wonderful! I'd love to join you for a trip from Keystone to Hill City!

      Delete
    2. Jan, I have taken that train ride from Keystone to Hill City. It was fun.

      Delete
    3. I'm embarrassed to say I've lived here this long and still haven't done the 1880 train. That really should go on my bucket list!

      Delete
  4. Oooh, that sounds like so much fun! I may have to take that train trip myself. I love the idea of taking trips to help prime our writing pumps. When my husband retires, that's my plan--lots and lots of trips! Thanks for sharing, Debby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to take my grands on the Blue Ridge train. I know they'd enjoy the trip. Your family would as well. The only problem is the long drive through Atlanta traffic to get to Blue Ridge. :)

      Delete
  5. Good morning Debby, I really enjoyed this post. No long trips planned but I would like to visit some of our Kentucky state parks. I'm fortunate to live in a beautiful state and I need to take advantage of what is there for us. Please include me in your drawing. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in Kentucky for a number of years, Connie, and love the Bluegrass State. Yes, so beautiful. Have you visited the KY Horse Farm near Lexington? It's worth visiting.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed your blog. It's so true the marking of time and events! Looks like a fun train trip! We just had a great time in Texas. I agree with you on the international travel. I'd love to have my name in the hat for the drawing. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanne! You're in the drawing. I saw your pics on FB, but I wasn't sure where you were vacationing. Texas is a lovely state...and a big state. What areas did you visit?

      Delete
  7. Sorry! Anonymous is Jeanne Crea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please enter me in drawing!
    We used to do big vacations, about 2 or 3 a year pre-Covid. Skiing for spring break, road trips and/or Europe in the summer... We haven't done ANY since Covid!
    But now we have our first real vacation planned for November--Hawaii! It's nice to be able to look forward to a trip.
    I can't wait to travel again. I always get a million fresh ideas on road trips. During quarantine I have to get my inspo from songs, books, and movies.
    Anyways, please enter me in the drawing for the book, I would love to read it!
    Thanks <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AA! Enjoy your time in Hawaii. Are they completely open now? So glad you can finally travel! You're in the drawing!

      Delete
  9. Please enter me in the drawing! We don't usually take vacations, I am more of an armchair traveler as it is much cheaper that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being an armchair traveler is fun and, as you mentioned, the cost is right, especially in this time of high prices! You're in the drawing. Thanks for stopping by the blog.

      Delete
  10. Our pre-Covid and post-Covid travel hasn't changed at all due to my husband's health. He is improving and we are hoping to take a trip to Myrtle Beach to visit friends and Charleston to visit relatives later this fall. Please put my name in the hat for the drawing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edwina, so glad your husband is improving! Enjoy your fall trips. Both sound wonderful! You're in the drawing!

      Delete
  11. Ah, to travel again. We'd hoped to travel to the East Coast to celebrate our 35 anniversary this summer, but skyrocketing prices are keeping us close to home. During Covid, my m-i-l introduced me to an interesting way to see new areas that your blog reminded me about. On YouTube, train conductors, cabbies, and tour directors among others have posted "the view from the train" or whatever from places all around the world. I've searched for such videos to "experience" the setting for a couple of my books now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra, for letting us know about the YouTube "from the train" views! I'm eager to check it out. Great information! Gas prices are skyrocketing as well as hotels costs and food. I'm sure many folks will be doing staycations this year.

      Delete
  12. Debby, your train trip sound so fun. We love to travel and take road trips for our vacations. We had not been anywhere for a couple of years. My niece planned her wedding in Tennessee three different times and we finally got to go there last fall. It was my first time in the Great Smoky Mountains and we had a wonderful time, especially after planning the trip for two years! This summer we are planning a family trip to New Mexico and Arizona, seeing some of the places along Route 66. I hope the fires settle down, though. My husband and I are also planning an anniversary trip to Door County, Wisconsin. In September, we are going to take a long weekend to Wyoming and Colorado. It is fun to travel again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Mexico and Arizona are beautiful states in their own right. We've lived in two desert locations. My hubby loves the desert, but after a period to time, I miss green vegetation, especially trees! :) Your Wisconsin trip will be a long drive, right? Tell us about Door County. Is that where you met and married?

      Delete
    2. Debby, no we are from Nebraska. I had heard about Door County as the Cape Cod of the Midwest and it is always a place I wanted to visit. We thought it would make a nice anniversary trip. It is about 12 hours from us. Arizona is actually a bit farther. But I love that living in the almost exact middle of the United States makes it easy to drive lots of places in not that much time.

      Delete
  13. Debby, I just finished reading Smugglers in Amish Country. I loved it and just wrote a review for Amazon. I have read one of the two stories in your giveaway, so I will bow out of the drawing so someone who hasn't read any can enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, thank you for reviewing SMUGGLERS IN AMISH COUNTRY. I'm grateful and know how long it takes to write a review. Sending hugs and love!

      Delete
  14. We went to Noah’s Ark and the Creation Museum a few weeks ago. We want to go to Blennerhassett Island soon. Thank you for sharing this wonderful chance. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to visit the Ark. Did you enjoy it? I don't know about Blennerhassett Island. Will do a Google search! You're in the drawing!

      Delete
  15. Debby, I was just talking about this very subject last week. That train ride sounds fun. We traveled to SC with my youngest during the Triduum and spent Easter with my mom and my two oldest kids. We all met in Aiken SC. It was a joy to have the family together again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family reunions are so special. I'm glad you could visit loved ones last Easter! Did you grow up in Aiken, SC?

      Delete
  16. I need to take breaks from the daily grind in order to replenish my creative juices. Sometimes just a a short trip to a different part of the county will do it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, JPC! Those short trips can be very rewarding and can spur our creativity. Happy traveling!

      Delete
  17. That sounds like a fun trip! I would love to be entered in the giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angeline, you're in the drawing! And it was a delightful trip!

      Delete
  18. Thank you for the amazing post The trip sounds amazing please enter me in the giveaway Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Took a train ride like this in Utah about years ago. Was amazing. Enter me please.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kim, so glad you could enjoy the Utah train ride! You're in the drawing!

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."